Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bubble Bobble

Game » consists of 36 releases. Released 1986

An early arcade platformer that has 100 levels. Released by Taito in 1986, it was one of the first games to feature two-player cooperative play and multiple endings.

ST-urday #001: Bubble Bobble

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

Edited By Mento  Moderator

You thought I was done after a week? Turns out there's a hell of a lot more I have yet to say about the platform that was my introduction to the world of video games. Well, perhaps not regarding the device itself, but certainly for the wild and varied games that it would host in its tenure. My intent is to stick to a weekly schedule from here until (hopefully) the end of this year, looking at a new Atari ST game every Saturday. I want to keep things varied, so we'll be looking at console/Arcade ports, CRPGs, graphic adventure games, bizarre homebrew system exclusives and other oddities from the European home computer market. A mix of the familiar and the alien for our American friends.

Bubble Bobble

No Caption Provided

I figured for the first episode of ST-urday that we'd start on something simple. Taito's Bubble Bobble is a revered Arcade single-screen platformer classic that most people know best as an NES game. Two bubble-shooting dinosaurs Bub and Bob enter a cave of monsters to rescue their girlfriends and restore their human forms. That's all the plot we needed in the 80s.

While the original Arcade version was released in 1986 and the NES version in 1988, the Atari ST version sits between the two with a release date somewhere in 1987. The imaginatively-titled Software Creations handled the development of the computer conversions - a British developer that had quite the run producing various games and ports for the UK market until they were eventually bought out by Acclaim in the 2000s and followed them into bankruptcy shortly thereafter. Bubble Bobble is the first game they worked on, according to GameFAQs, but they'd go on to create many others: the ST versions of Renegade, Ghouls N' Ghosts and Gauntlet III, along with personal Nintendo console favorites like Solstice and Plok. Firebird, who popped up a number of times during the Estival Festival, was the publisher.

What's important is that Software Creations were actually competent at this whole "Arcade to home computer" conversion business, though one struggles to conceive of how you could mess up Bubble Bobble. After the disaster that was the Atari ST's Double Dragon, I figured I should start accentuating the positive a little more. (Don't worry, we'll have more crappy Arcade ports to come as well.)

Welcome to Bubble Bobble! Look at those adorable little dinos with their pink, mole-like hands and feet. I almost want to click that @ in the corner to see what would happen.
    Welcome to Bubble Bobble! Look at those adorable little dinos with their pink, mole-like hands and feet. I almost want to click that @ in the corner to see what would happen.
    The classic Bubble Bobble intro. Fantastic story indeed. Actually, both the Atari ST and NES versions word it a little differently from the Arcade. I'm not sure why that is.
    The classic Bubble Bobble intro. Fantastic story indeed. Actually, both the Atari ST and NES versions word it a little differently from the Arcade. I'm not sure why that is.
    You'll notice that this looks more or less Arcade-perfect. The colors are a little less bright, and the information is relayed in a side-bar instead of in the corner of the playing field, but those are minor adjustments.
    You'll notice that this looks more or less Arcade-perfect. The colors are a little less bright, and the information is relayed in a side-bar instead of in the corner of the playing field, but those are minor adjustments.
    The game features all the usual Bubble Bobble accoutrements: food and snack score items, E.X.T.E.N.D. letter power-ups, angry looking Frankenstein dealies. Those guys are actually called Bonzo in the UK version (in the US, it's Bubble Buster).
    The game features all the usual Bubble Bobble accoutrements: food and snack score items, E.X.T.E.N.D. letter power-ups, angry looking Frankenstein dealies. Those guys are actually called Bonzo in the UK version (in the US, it's Bubble Buster).
    It's not until Round 6 that we start seeing those annoying fireball-shooting wizzrobe guys. Boris in the UK, Stoner in the US. Honestly, these US names are leaving a lot to be desired.
    It's not until Round 6 that we start seeing those annoying fireball-shooting wizzrobe guys. Boris in the UK, Stoner in the US. Honestly, these US names are leaving a lot to be desired.
    Bubble Bobble's also known for these elemental bubbles, which produce different effects depending on their element.
    Bubble Bobble's also known for these elemental bubbles, which produce different effects depending on their element.
    Popping a water bubble produces a flood that follows the contours of the platforms to the bottom of the screen, sweeping up enemies (and yourself) along the way.
    Popping a water bubble produces a flood that follows the contours of the platforms to the bottom of the screen, sweeping up enemies (and yourself) along the way.
    Bubble Bobble also has a hundred different random items that pop up while playing. Most are score items, but there's a few like this lamp that provide a benefit: in this case, eliminating all the enemies on the screen.
    Bubble Bobble also has a hundred different random items that pop up while playing. Most are score items, but there's a few like this lamp that provide a benefit: in this case, eliminating all the enemies on the screen.
    They even get turned into diamonds, which are worth a lot more than the usual drops from those enemies. While playing for a high score isn't necessarily a draw for a modern gaming audience, it's worth noting that you get extra lives for certain milestones. It's a good idea to find ways to earn as much score as possible (taking out multiple enemies at once is another good system).
    They even get turned into diamonds, which are worth a lot more than the usual drops from those enemies. While playing for a high score isn't necessarily a draw for a modern gaming audience, it's worth noting that you get extra lives for certain milestones. It's a good idea to find ways to earn as much score as possible (taking out multiple enemies at once is another good system).
    And now we have the Blubbas (or Belugas, in the US version). Easily the most annoying enemy, at least early on, these guys fly around the screen quickly at diagonal angles.
    And now we have the Blubbas (or Belugas, in the US version). Easily the most annoying enemy, at least early on, these guys fly around the screen quickly at diagonal angles.
    But they're nothing compared to Baron Von Blubba, the skeletal fellow in the top right. He'll appear if you've wasted too much time on a stage and pursue you endlessly until you've moved on. All the enemies pick up speed after this warning too (and the music gets faster).
    But they're nothing compared to Baron Von Blubba, the skeletal fellow in the top right. He'll appear if you've wasted too much time on a stage and pursue you endlessly until you've moved on. All the enemies pick up speed after this warning too (and the music gets faster).
    Heck yeah! Getting all the letters of EXTEND gives you an extra life and also skips the present stage.
    Heck yeah! Getting all the letters of EXTEND gives you an extra life and also skips the present stage.
    Aw. Happy Valentine's Da-
    Aw. Happy Valentine's Da-
    Dangit.
    Dangit.
    Well, that was fun. One Arino Special coming up.
    Well, that was fun. One Arino Special coming up.

Yeah, I realize this was kind of a softball with which introduce this new weekly feature, but it's best to start simple and work our way up to the headier stuff. That I'm suggesting a game where dinosaurs shoot bubbles at Frankensteins is a comparatively sane game to some of the material I have lined up is saying something. One day I hope to look at the equally great Atari ST ports of Rainbow Islands and Parasol Stars (the successors to Bubble Bobble), but for now we'd best pop off.

(As this is the first in an ongoing feature, I've decided to keep track of what I've covered with this list. Future ST-urdays will also refer back to it.)

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

Bubble Bobble is probably my favorite NES game (either that or Faxanadu?). I've always said that if I ever went crazy enough to decide that an arcade cabinet was a good idea, I'd try to track down a Bubble Bobble one

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.