Bulletstorm reviews possibly poor?

• 95 results
#1 Posted by BitterAlmond (401 posts) -

Here we are, five days before launch, and there is not one review of the game out. This, to me, is a bad sign, as good reviews are usually released pre-launch while mediocre or poor reviews are put out after launch. If no reviews have been given of this game, it's a bad sign.   

Does anyone know if many review copies went out prior to launch, or if Epic is holding the game until it's out?

#2 Posted by Dalai (7029 posts) -

Probably just your standard embargo. Expect the reviews to come on Monday.

#3 Posted by Klaptos (182 posts) -

5 days is quite some time and most previews have been positive.

#4 Posted by Slaker117 (4842 posts) -

Just wait for it. Bulletstrom doesn't seem like the type of game to get week early scores.

#5 Posted by yinstarrunner (1198 posts) -

No. There's too much money behind this game.

#6 Posted by iSylence (345 posts) -

I'm sure the game is probably okay, but damn the advertising for it irritates me!

#7 Posted by Marcsman (3196 posts) -

The demo was good. I expect the game to be better.
#8 Edited by KamikazeCaterpillar (1179 posts) -

Yeah anytime a game doesn't have any reviews at least 3-4 weeks before its release it usually winds up being a giant piece of shit just look at games like Dead Space 2 and LBP2 for some reason examples.

#9 Posted by Unchained (1081 posts) -

I loved the demo. That's enough for me.  

Reviews are there to tell potential buyers what's good and what's bad. I already made my decision.  Aside from that, I'm guessing the reviews will be generally positive. 

#10 Posted by iDarktread (1206 posts) -

The demo didn't really feel right to me when I played it, and I really dislike the voice acting for most of the characters. I expect it to get good reviews.

#11 Posted by creiij (65 posts) -

I just want to know what the score does? Have that been announced yet? I tried the demo and it was fine, but that score seems so... pointless. Kill with Skill! Or don't, doesn't really matter...

#12 Posted by KillyDarko (1888 posts) -

The demo really didn't do it for me..... I'm gonna wait patiently before I decide on what to do regarding this game.

#13 Posted by FritzDude (2263 posts) -

Because there's no reviews up why is it a bad sign? I cant undertsand that logic. I would rather say that reviews coming out weeks /month before the game's release is a bad sign.

#14 Posted by Marz (5652 posts) -

people will buy it to get their Gears 3 beta invite, just the facts :O

#15 Posted by Sargus (726 posts) -
@BitterAlmond said:
" Here we are, five days before launch, and there is not one review of the game out. This, to me, is a bad sign, as good reviews are usually released pre-launch while mediocre or poor reviews are put out after launch. If no reviews have been given of this game, it's a bad sign.    Does anyone know if many review copies went out prior to launch, or if Epic is holding the game until it's out? "
Speaking from experience, even a lot of good games request an embargo on reviews until the day of release, or potentially a day or two before. I wouldn't know if review copies have been sent out or not, but I wouldn't freak out just because the game hasn't been reviewed yet.
#16 Posted by septim (774 posts) -

Red Dead had a really strict embargo and that wound up with like a 96 metascore.

It's not really indicative of quality anymore. I'm actually willing to bet that Sony is kicking themselves for not embargoing Killzone 3 considering the average is has now.

#17 Posted by Jeff (3577 posts) -
@septim said:
I'm actually willing to bet that Sony is kicking themselves for not embargoing Killzone 3 considering the average is has now. "

I'm just guessing, but I bet you're right.

They held a review event for Bulletstorm that we decided not to attend and Epic is in the same NO EARLY COPIES camp that the Call of Duty series is these days. Expect to see all the reviews from that event hit at once. We'll get copies on Tuesday and I'll start, like, lassoing dudes and kicking them onto things at that point.
Staff
#18 Posted by BitterAlmond (401 posts) -
 @Jeff said:
" @septim said:
I'm actually willing to bet that Sony is kicking themselves for not embargoing Killzone 3 considering the average is has now. "
 I'm just guessing, but I bet you're right. They held a review event for Bulletstorm that we decided not to attend and Epic is in the same NO EARLY COPIES camp that the Call of Duty series is these days. Expect to see all the reviews from that event hit at once. We'll get copies on Tuesday and I'll start, like, lassoing dudes and kicking them onto things at that point. "
Awesome. I've been following this game for a while, good to have this explained.
#19 Posted by Hunkulese (2723 posts) -

Did you play the demo? 

It will be more of that perhaps with and absurd story attached.

#20 Edited by MetalMoog (908 posts) -

The "average" it has now is 86 on meta-critic which is a damn good score by any stretch. I don't think Guerilla are crying about their 86, knowing fine well how good the game is. All of the reviews that matter say it's epic and anyone that has played the open beta would agree. Killzone 3 kicks ass it has set the bar for future FPS' to aspire to in terms of visual quality (yet again), awesome gameplay and something unique and different than the slew of CoD clones out there. Killzone 2's multiplayer was awesome, Killzone 3's multiplayer is best in class. 

I own all of the benchmark FPS titles (Reach, CoD4, W@W, MW2, Black Ops, BFBC2, Resistance 2, Killzone 2) and I think Killzone 3 destroys all of them and I only played 1 map!

86 only shows me that reviewers scores are just their own opinions and shouldn't matter at all. The only opinion anyone should make about Killzone 3 is their own, after they've played the multiplayer.

I would give it a solid 9.5 out of 10. My only complaint being no online co op campaign.

#21 Posted by matti00 (668 posts) -

The game looked cool in the QL, but after playing the demo for myself, I really don't care. It seems pretty shallow. I could be completely wrong, but until then I'm happy. It's another £40 I haven't spent, and Dragon Age 2 is coming out soon.

#22 Posted by Binman88 (3687 posts) -

It will likely get a good score from Giant Bomb. This kind of game seems right up their alley.

#23 Posted by RobotHamster (4171 posts) -
#24 Posted by Jimbo (9809 posts) -

I'd be surprised if Bulletstorm lands outside of 80-90 MC.  Sony are probably disappointed about Killzone slipping below 90, but doing so doesn't seem to prevent games from selling well.  90+ seems to guarantee a certain minimum level of succes, but that's about it.

#25 Posted by MonetaryDread (2030 posts) -

I was listening to the Rebel FM podcast last week and Arthur was talking about how much better the game is than he thought is was going to be. He wasn't reviewing the title, yet that conversation sold me on the game even more than the demo did.

#26 Posted by MegaGoat (219 posts) -

It will still sell up the ass because of the Gears 3 beta

#27 Edited by FinalCut (94 posts) -

It's a shame about the Killzone 3 Meta average. It seems a lot of reviewers only touched the singleplayer, while still important, pales in comparison to the main focus of the FPS genre, shooting people in the face online.  It has however been sitting really high on Amazon for the past month any time I check the video games section so I think most people have got the message that the game is awesome.

The Bulletstorm demo was pretty fun, I'm not sure how fun that would be when played for 6-8 hours but I stil have high hopes. Epic and People can Fly have a pretty good track record so I don't think there's a huge cause for alarm when there aren't any reviews up yet.

#28 Posted by overlord_ofthedeadXD (60 posts) -

I expect the reviews to come on the 19th. They're gonna be positive because the previews have been good so far and it's being developed by People Can Fly! It HAS to be good, right?

#29 Posted by SpicyRichter (538 posts) -
Fox News said:

"In the new video game Bulletstorm due February 22, players are rewarded for shooting enemies in the private parts (such as the buttocks). There’s an excess of profanity, of course, including frequent use of F-words. And Bulletstorm is particularly gruesome, with body parts that explode all over the screen. 

But that's not the worst part. "

Guaranteed 5/5
#30 Posted by Lukeweizer (2679 posts) -
@BitterAlmond said:
" Here we are, five days before launch, and there is not one review of the game out. This, to me, is a bad sign, as good reviews are usually released pre-launch while mediocre or poor reviews are put out after launch. If no reviews have been given of this game, it's a bad sign.    Does anyone know if many review copies went out prior to launch, or if Epic is holding the game until it's out? "
Yeah, 5 days. Few games give out review copies that early. They'll most likely give them the weekend before it's release so a review can be out the day of release.

Somehow though, I think I'll get on with my life.
#31 Posted by Slaker117 (4842 posts) -
@RobotHamster said:
" I'm not expecting good scores, this place already called it the worst game ever made. "
Fuck. I clicked the link because I thought it would be an actual video game site talking trash, but instead I inadvertently gave Fox News another hit.
#32 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@Slaker117 said:
" @RobotHamster said:
" I'm not expecting good scores, this place already called it the worst game ever made. "
Fuck. I clicked the link because I thought it would be an actual video game site talking trash, but instead I inadvertently gave Fox News another hit. "
So you meant to give a hit to some random troll blogger/Destructoid?
#33 Posted by Slaker117 (4842 posts) -
@ryanwho:  Yes. I know they're jerks, but at least I find trash talking reviews entertaining. Though both are flame-baiting, Fox has passed the point of so-stupid-it's-funny to so-stupid-it's-painful.
#34 Posted by Cypher (114 posts) -
#35 Posted by DystopiaX (5310 posts) -

Nah, plenty of games that review well are embargoed anyway.

#36 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -
@Cypher said:
"
Looks like Famitsu's review (well, score) is out early: http://www.nintendoeverything.com/60779/  Bulletstorm got 9/8/9/8, (Killzone 3 was one point lower). "
Clearly, Epic and PCF didn't send them enough money with the game.
#37 Posted by Animasta (14691 posts) -
@Cypher said:
"
Looks like Famitsu's review (well, score) is out early: http://www.nintendoeverything.com/60779/  Bulletstorm got 9/8/9/8, (Killzone 3 was one point lower). "
am I the only one that finds it funny that Famitsu was the first review out there?

shine on you crazy japanese diamonds
#38 Posted by Djstyles92 (952 posts) -

I thought this game was gonna suck, but then I played the demo and i love it.  It's so over the top stupid, which makes it fucking awesome.  Day 1 for me, and i dont even care about the gears 3 beta.

#39 Posted by overlord_ofthedeadXD (60 posts) -

After all the COD serious Michael Bay-ish bullshit, we finally get out Scary Movie of video games. :)

#40 Posted by WEGGLES (739 posts) -
@septim said:
" Red Dead had a really strict embargo and that wound up with like a 96 metascore.  It's not really indicative of quality anymore. I'm actually willing to bet that Sony is kicking themselves for not embargoing Killzone 3 considering the average is has now. "
What an age we live in where 85 is bad. 

(Not criticising you, as I agree that it'll probably hurt sales... just... what an age we live in where 85 is bad)
#41 Posted by Enigma777 (6073 posts) -
@MetalMoog said:
" The "average" it has now is 86 on meta-critic which is a damn good score by any stretch. I don't think Guerilla are crying about their 86, knowing fine well how good the game is. All of the reviews that matter say it's epic and anyone that has played the open beta would agree. Killzone 3 kicks ass it has set the bar for future FPS' to aspire to in terms of visual quality (yet again), awesome gameplay and something unique and different than the slew of CoD clones out there. Killzone 2's multiplayer was awesome, Killzone 3's multiplayer is best in class.   I own all of the benchmark FPS titles (Reach, CoD4, W@W, MW2, Black Ops, BFBC2, Resistance 2, Killzone 2) and I think Killzone 3 destroys all of them and I only played 1 map!  86 only shows me that reviewers scores are just their own opinions and shouldn't matter at all. The only opinion anyone should make about Killzone 3 is their own, after they've played the multiplayer.  I would give it a solid 9.5 out of 10. My only complaint being no online co op campaign. "
But when you compare it to KZ2's 91 it is rather low.
#42 Posted by SammydesinasNL (840 posts) -
@Jeff:
Why no Neo-Geo avatar anymore? I didn't recognise you for a moment.
#43 Posted by Generic_Ninja (131 posts) -

Another game coming out next week is Killzone 3, Why are we seeing so many review scores of Killzone 3 right now? Easy marketing ploy to get you to buy a Playstation 3 game next week instead of getting an X360 game of Bulletstorm, PS3 wanted review scores early for Killzone knowing that it was going to be a half decent game to sway people into getting the PS3 only game instead of a Multi-platform title.
#44 Posted by EveretteScott (1486 posts) -
@yinstarrunner said:
" No. There's too much money behind this game. "
Tha'ts not always a sign of a good reviews.
#45 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2712 posts) -

lol at the "average" on KZ3, its got a great score. 

Also, the game is probably just under embargo, like a lot of other games. Nothing to be worried about. 
#46 Posted by yinstarrunner (1198 posts) -
@EveretteScott said:
" @yinstarrunner said:
" No. There's too much money behind this game. "
Tha'ts not always a sign of a good reviews. "
As long as the game isn't completely fucked, it pretty much is.  A game with production values like bulletstorm usually gets a pass no matter how generic the gameplay is, as long as it isn't straight-up broken.  See Dead Space 2, Call of Duty Black Ops, and any number of recent AAA titles for example.  It's really not hard these days to throw tons of money at a game and get an 80+ metacritic rating.

Even Fable 3 has an 80. lol
#47 Posted by Fjordson (2448 posts) -

Probably not. Lots of games have strict embargo dates these days.

It may not be over 95 or anything, but I'd be willing to bet it'll end up in the high 80's.

#48 Posted by dragonzord (815 posts) -

Brotherhood didn't have reviews until release.

#49 Posted by mfpantst (2574 posts) -

meh- not sure if I understand the gaming business dynamics of early reviews versus review embargos and versus not sending out early review copes versus having 'review events.'  In any case, I don't let this bother me.  I'm excited for this game and will buy it.  The only thing I'll be looking for this week is if by some grand mistake the game ships broken and waiting for a patch is smart.  In which case this would not be a day 1/week 1 purchase.  Barring that, it's week 1 for me. 

#50 Posted by Boiglenoight (537 posts) -
@MetalMoog said:
" The "average" it has now is 86 on meta-critic which is a damn good score by any stretch. I don't think Guerilla are crying about their 86, knowing fine well how good the game is. All of the reviews that matter say it's epic and anyone that has played the open beta would agree. Killzone 3 kicks ass it has set the bar for future FPS' to aspire to in terms of visual quality (yet again), awesome gameplay and something unique and different than the slew of CoD clones out there. Killzone 2's multiplayer was awesome, Killzone 3's multiplayer is best in class.   I own all of the benchmark FPS titles (Reach, CoD4, W@W, MW2, Black Ops, BFBC2, Resistance 2, Killzone 2) and I think Killzone 3 destroys all of them and I only played 1 map!  86 only shows me that reviewers scores are just their own opinions and shouldn't matter at all. The only opinion anyone should make about Killzone 3 is their own, after they've played the multiplayer.  I would give it a solid 9.5 out of 10. My only complaint being no online co op campaign. "
I think you're mostly right.  Bad Company 2 is an exceptional game when you focus solely on the multiplayer, but including the singleplayer in the assessment brings the game down a bit.  Killzone 3 will probably be a similar case.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.