Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bulletstorm

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Feb 22, 2011

Stylish, ludicrous kills net big points in this ridiculously over-the-top first-person shooter.

More than meets the eye?

ImBigInJapan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By ImBigInJapan

So earlier I posted about the Skill Shot shot system in Bulletstorm and how I felt it was lacking in terms of being the focus of the game.

But now there's this:
      http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/02/10/cuts-tears-in-rain-preview-bulletstorm-impressions/ 

As I said before, I felt like the demo was really short and might not have given a good sense of gameplay.   Maybe PCF/Epic felt that the gameplay was so strong it would stand on its own in its barest form, or that they did not want to give anything away, but it had the opposite of the intended effect on me.  
    I feel like RPS got to play a completely different game than I had in the demo, one with incredible set-pieces and varied gameplay.  Then I think back on the dry repetition in the demo and then I reach for the Advil because I can't reconcile the two things in my head. I really want to play the game described in the article, but yet that does not seem to be the game I actually got to play.

So I have a few question to toss out there. Feel free to answer more generally too, especially about what impact demos and previews have on your opinions of games.

Did you play the demo and did it change your impressions of the game for better or for worse?

Does the hands-on I posted above improve your opinion of the game,  especially if the demo it changed it for the worse?

Given my feelings and the feelings of a lot of the people who have posted here and elsewhere, do you think releasing the demo as it was designed was a mistake? Would PCF/Epic been better off revealing a more juicy slice of gameplay or would that  have been too much of a "spoiler"?

And finally, would you trust a preview enough to revise your opinion in the face of what might have been a disappointing first-hand experience based on the demo?

ImBigInJapan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ImBigInJapan

So earlier I posted about the Skill Shot shot system in Bulletstorm and how I felt it was lacking in terms of being the focus of the game.

But now there's this:
      http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/02/10/cuts-tears-in-rain-preview-bulletstorm-impressions/ 

As I said before, I felt like the demo was really short and might not have given a good sense of gameplay.   Maybe PCF/Epic felt that the gameplay was so strong it would stand on its own in its barest form, or that they did not want to give anything away, but it had the opposite of the intended effect on me.  
    I feel like RPS got to play a completely different game than I had in the demo, one with incredible set-pieces and varied gameplay.  Then I think back on the dry repetition in the demo and then I reach for the Advil because I can't reconcile the two things in my head. I really want to play the game described in the article, but yet that does not seem to be the game I actually got to play.

So I have a few question to toss out there. Feel free to answer more generally too, especially about what impact demos and previews have on your opinions of games.

Did you play the demo and did it change your impressions of the game for better or for worse?

Does the hands-on I posted above improve your opinion of the game,  especially if the demo it changed it for the worse?

Given my feelings and the feelings of a lot of the people who have posted here and elsewhere, do you think releasing the demo as it was designed was a mistake? Would PCF/Epic been better off revealing a more juicy slice of gameplay or would that  have been too much of a "spoiler"?

And finally, would you trust a preview enough to revise your opinion in the face of what might have been a disappointing first-hand experience based on the demo?

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By fwylo

From what I had seen in trailers and shit I wasn't too excited about the game and didn't even plan on buying it. 

Then I played the demo. 

I still won't buy it.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By melcene

Someone can't say "More than meets the eye" without me thinking of the Transformers theme song.  :(

ImBigInJapan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ImBigInJapan
    @melcene: I'll make sure to title my next post  Robots in disguise just to keep up the theme.
    Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Marcsman

Played the demo. 
    Liked it alot 
    Day one purchase
    MrGetBonus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MrGetBonus

I thought this game was pretty interesting when I first heard about it, but the more they showed of it, the more I beginning to think that it was kinda one-dimensional. Every time I saw something about it, it was either to talk about a metric fuckton of dicktits or the skill shot system. I was already getting bored of the skill shots by the end of the demo so I can't see that gimmick being fun for more than 2 hours. I do not think there is anything inherently wrong with the demo. It is probably an accurate portrayal of how the rest of the game will go. Some people thought it was really fun and I thought it was really stupid. I guess we'll see how it turns out.

jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jking47

Came in expecting transformers. Thats a dirty trick. 

But on the subject, that article just inspired my to try the demo. I just gotta find friends to play multiplayer with <.<

ImBigInJapan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ImBigInJapan
    @jking47 said:
    " Came in expecting transformers. Thats a dirty trick "

Would you say the title was a ... Decepticon?  *Boom-tish*
    Alright that was painful.
    Avatar image for joyfullofrockets
    JoyfullOFrockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By JoyfullOFrockets

Played demo, was like ''well this seems cool but I'd better wait for the price to fall.''

Avatar image for metalgeargeorge
    MetalGearGeorge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MetalGearGeorge

I started playing expecting a fast-paced all in your face game like Vanquish but all i got was another fps with cool colorful graphics and crazy mutants. I got to admit however that the skillshot system was pretty addictive.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By SSully

That article really made me more excited for the game, i am actually considering pre ordering it on PC right now. Hmmmm decisions, decisions. 

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By Vinny_Says

My excitement level dropped drastically the moment the protagonist called me a dickface and told me I was a big cunt, I'll still play it but maybe after the price drops....

Krampus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Krampus

Already pre ordered, but now I'm even more excited to get a hold of it than before.  This game looks like it has the style and the grace.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I was put off by a lot of the Bulletstorm advertising but playing the game the deliberately hyper-macho stuff didn't encroach on the gameplay as much as I thought it would and I was actually able to enjoy the demo for the gameplay. My only real worry about the gameplay is that the skill shot system won't stand up in the way it's supposed too. I think Epic would have done better putting out a longer demo but even in the short chuck of Bulletstorm that we got to experience I felt like the fun of the skill shot system started wearing a little thin towards the end. Overall I'd say the demo was good fun but I'm still not sold on the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.