No pc demo wtf?

#1 Posted by brandoncooper17 (153 posts) -

there will be a demo ... just with more content :)

And than complain when the game gets pirated-smart move Epic.

http://www.vg247.com/2011/01/15/no-plans-to-release-a-pc-demo-for-bulletstorm-at-this-time/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_term=vg247&utm_content=games

#2 Posted by benjaebe (2784 posts) -

Where have you been for the last few years - barely anyone releases PC demos anymore. I sincerely doubt that anyone is going to pirate this game just because there was no demo - if they were going to pirate it, they were going to do that regardless.

#3 Posted by brandoncooper17 (153 posts) -
@benjaebe said:
" Where have you been for the last few years - barely anyone releases PC demos anymore. I sincerely doubt that anyone is going to pirate this game just because there was no demo - if they were going to pirate it, they were going to do that regardless. "
Clearly you dont know the pc gamers.
I pirate games that i to try out for 1 hour or so and buy them if i like them off steam or somewhere there sold.
#4 Posted by Vodun (2370 posts) -
@benjaebe: Actually, I pirate games to try them....
#5 Posted by Jimbo (10007 posts) -

But at least we got all of that fantastic marketing.

#6 Posted by brandoncooper17 (153 posts) -

Also not say there loads of people who will pirate and never buy.

#7 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -
@brandoncooper17: Dude people will pirate it even if there is a demo.
#8 Posted by ZeroCast (1869 posts) -
@Jimbo said:
" But at least we got all of that fantastic marketing. "
Dicktits!
#9 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2502 posts) -

PC gamers, even the non-piratey type, tend to frown on the lack of a demo and will avoid games that don't have one.

In the end, this just hurts potential sales to legitimate customers.  The PC demo for Just Cause 2 was what got me to buy it twice, once for the PC and once for the PS3.

#10 Posted by EuanDewar (5104 posts) -

The demo that consoles got today was pretty poor in terms of giving a good idea of what the game will end up being, it seems like they picked the most ordinary weapons and the most simple uninspired level that can be completed in about 5 minutes, you aren't really missing anything. You would be better suited just watching gameplay clips at this point.
#11 Edited by Kordesh (235 posts) -

Epic doesn't give a damn about PC anymore after Unreal 3 did poorly and they used it as a scapegoat to denounce the PC and move to consoles (wherein Unreal 3 for consoles also sold like shit). The fact that they're actually joking about people being upset about there not being a PC demo, and the fact that the game is coming out at $59.99 on PC, shows how little they care about the platform anymore. Epic is just another console whore at this point. Screw em.

#12 Posted by Codeacious (960 posts) -

I don't get why developers don't release demos on the PC anymore- besides seeing whether or not you liked the game, demos were also used to make sure that your PC could run the game well before you purchased it and realized that it didn't run well at all.

#13 Posted by SquadBroken (280 posts) -

It was pretty boring so you're not missing much.

#14 Posted by Octaslash (580 posts) -

Releasing a demo of an unreleased PC game just helps pirates crack the game, before it is even released.

#15 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -
@Octaslash said:
" Releasing a demo of an unreleased PC game just helps pirates crack the game, before it is even released. "
How? Demos don't have any DRM for them to look at.
#16 Posted by atomic_dumpling (2483 posts) -
@Kordesh said:
" Epic doesn't give a damn about PC anymore after Unreal 3 did poorly"
Because that demo (called "beta" for the lolz) was utter trash and turned off many people from buying the full version.  

@Geno
said:
" @Octaslash said:
" Releasing a demo of an unreleased PC game just helps pirates crack the game, before it is even released. "
How? Demos don't have any DRM for them to look at. "
I believe that's the point, they can use it as a clean template to compare with the copy protected full version.
#17 Edited by Edwardryu (440 posts) -

unfortunately, this debate you talk is useless because console games have been piracy for long time. it's just the matter of time when console game piracy will be similar with PC in terms of numbers. there are lots of people out there right now who don't buy console games as well. do you think I am joking? find it out by yourself.

#18 Posted by Cypher (114 posts) -
#19 Posted by Edwardryu (440 posts) -

this is funny, pointless. Epic game will release PC demo shortly after full version release tomorrow. they said that they didn't have time to make PC demo in proper time. at least PC demo will come out. but what is the point?

#20 Edited by mordukai (7185 posts) -

Well, Maybe People Can Fly were afraid that the demo will get leaked to the general public. 

#21 Posted by DystopiaX (5364 posts) -
@Edwardryu said:
" this is funny, pointless. Epic game will release PC demo shortly after full version release tomorrow. they said that they didn't have time to make PC demo in proper time. at least PC demo will come out. but what is the point? "
Well it's not like a lot of people are going to buy Day 1, so I expect the demo could move a few PC sales a couple weeks after release.
#22 Posted by Detrian (1126 posts) -

The frantic backpedaling with all the stupid things they've done with this game is hilarious.

#23 Posted by Scotto (1221 posts) -

A PC demo for a game like this is incredibly important, in order to gauge whether your PC can handle the visuals.  The specs on the back of the box never tell you enough.  You have to see it for yourself. 

That's the main reason why I'm not buying the game today - I'm going to wait and see if I can get some impressions from other people as to how it runs on PC.

- Scott

#24 Posted by Cirdain (3156 posts) -
@Scotto said:
" A PC demo for a game like this is incredibly important, in order to gauge whether your PC can handle the visuals.  The specs on the back of the box never tell you enough.  You have to see it for yourself.  That's the main reason why I'm not buying the game today - I'm going to wait and see if I can get some impressions from other people as to how it runs on PC. - Scott "
Here Here!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.