Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bump 'N' Jump

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released December 1982

One of Data East's early arcade games, Bump 'N' Jump (or Burnin' Rubber) involves high speed car crashes and plenty of obstacles to jump over.

How to spell the title

Avatar image for gold_skulltulla
    Gold_Skulltulla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 0

Looking at the way the title is written on various boxart images, it seems like it might actually be written "Bump'n' Jump", with no space between the "p" and first apostrophe. There seems to be an agreed upon spelling the way it's currently on GB an in an instruction manual scan I found as "Bump 'n' Jump," sometimes with a capital "N," but that just doesn't seem right. I was thinking maybe the apostrophes make the title an contraction of "Bumping Jump" instead of "Bump and Jump." If 'n' is supposed to be "and," I've never seen it with two apostrophes before. Steak 'n Shake is spelled with one apostrophe, for example. Does anyone agree with me, or should I just let this sleeping dog lie?

Orbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I don't mean to sound like a dick.. But does this matter?

Gold_Skulltulla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Gold_Skulltulla

@orbitz: Just trying to make sure the wiki is accurate, so yeah, I think as far as video game database references go, it matters. Obviously it doesn't really matter, but that's not a qualifier for a video game forum topic.

Orbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gold_skulltulla: I think that the spacing of the letters isn't really important in this instance, But that's just me. I mean Bump'n' Jump or Bump 'N' Jump. I don't think either is incorrect.

It could also just be the way the font looks.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

This name sounds like a raunchier name for a one-night stand.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#6  Edited By Brackynews

I could be convinced it was Bumping Jump.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd argue that Bumping Jump doesn't make any sense, but we're talking about video game titles here, so. You're definitely right, it does look like Bump'n' Jump on the box. But that could also just be poor graphic design. Keep in mind the era this came out, most of that kind of artwork was outsourced. The people responsible were pretty rarely familiar with the game. I mean, look at the first few Mega Man covers. It isn't that much of a stretch to believe they'd fuck up the title, just as easily as they fuck up what the characters look like.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd argue that Bumping Jump doesn't make any sense, but we're talking about video game titles here, so. You're definitely right, it does look like Bump'n' Jump on the box. But that could also just be poor graphic design. Keep in mind the era this came out, most of that kind of artwork was outsourced. The people responsible were pretty rarely familiar with the game. I mean, look at the first few Mega Man covers. It isn't that much of a stretch to believe they'd fuck up the title, just as easily as they fuck up what the characters look like.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Hamst3r
    Gold_Skulltulla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hamst3r: You've convinced me. As much as I like the idea of the game being called Bumping Jump, there is precedent for 'n'. I still think the way they spaced in in the titles is confusing though.

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#11  Edited By jeff

When in doubt, try to find a non-stylized (meaning not a logo) version of the spelling from the original publisher on its first platform, preferring US conventions to Japan or other parts of the world. In this case, Data East USA put out this flyer for the arcade version...

http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/?page=flyer&db=videodb&id=160&image=2

Bump 'N' Jump.

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

This is the sort of stuff that keeps me up at night.

If you want to see something truly weird, look at this ridiculous "story" that Midway tried to insert into the game (by putting it on this flyer and probably never mentioning it ever again) when they licensed it from Data East for wider distribution... http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/?page=flyer&db=videodb&id=161&image=2

Jumpin' John?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.