Bungie and Activision Announce ExclusiveWorldwide Publishing Deal

  • 0 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
#1 Edited by dvorak (1496 posts) -
#2 Posted by Damien (1384 posts) -

Feel sorry for Bungie.

#3 Posted by Xakura (126 posts) -

Here's the announcement from bungie, yea, I thought it was april 1st.. 
 
This is borderline boycott territory for me, not sure that I want to give activision my money.

#4 Posted by Lawrens (688 posts) -

haha, interesting direction, interesting news. 

#5 Posted by KingOfIceland (653 posts) -

Alright, no more Bungie games for me then.

#6 Posted by Dad_Is_A_Zombie (1225 posts) -
@Lawrens said:
" haha, interesting direction, interesting news.  "
Yeah, to say the least. Activision can use all the cred they can get but I wonder why Bungie went in this direction?
#7 Posted by triple07 (1196 posts) -

Damn you Bungie signing with my least favorite company in gaming.

#8 Posted by TurboMan (7394 posts) -

Bungie will never do anything besides Halo :(

#9 Posted by SpartanAmbrose (832 posts) -

Wow. I'm shocked, pissed off, and worried all at the same time. I really hope Bungie knows what they're doing because Activision's recent behavior has been terrible, to say the least.

#10 Posted by Jolt92 (1542 posts) -

It doesn't apply to Halo so that's okay with me.

#11 Posted by dvorak (1496 posts) -

You'd have to assume that if Activision snapped them up, that EA was going after them as well. I wonder what tipped the scales for Activision in the bidding war?

#12 Posted by Godwind (2597 posts) -

It's activision's means to keep Infinity Ward on their toes. 
 
Now Halo on the PS3?
#13 Posted by bhhawks78 (1202 posts) -

Love how people are "feeling bad for bungie"  I'm sure their pools of 100 dollar bills will comfort them well.

#14 Posted by Wes899 (2107 posts) -

They remain independent and own the IP rights. I think they'll be fine.

#15 Posted by bhhawks78 (1202 posts) -
@Godwind said:
" It's activision's means to keep Infinity Ward on their toes.  Now Halo on the PS3? "
Microsoft owns the license halo isn't going anywhere.
 
Haloesque fps?  maybe
#16 Posted by Kibblez (702 posts) -

10 years? I bet we'll see 15 Bungie games during that period

#17 Posted by Zereta (1363 posts) -

From the Beginning, You know the End

#18 Posted by Fish_Face_McGee (475 posts) -

Well, isn't Activision announcing a new CoD tomorrow? Seems like interesting timing to announce Bungie is working with Activision the day before the reveal of the new CoD.

#19 Posted by Wes899 (2107 posts) -

I'm guessing this is more like Blizzard than IW.

#20 Posted by J0n3s1 (295 posts) -

I bet 25!  Seriously.. WHAT WERE THEY THINKING!?

#21 Posted by Fish_Face_McGee (475 posts) -
@Wes899 said:
" I'm guessing this is more like Blizzard than IW. "
It's not like either of them.  Activision DOES NOT OWN Bungie.
#22 Posted by ebritt (149 posts) -

activision are only publishing all new IP's from bungie and as Wes899 points out they keep all IP rights so Halo will not be affected! 

#23 Posted by Jeffsekai (7026 posts) -

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

#24 Posted by ProfessorEss (7278 posts) -

Dang, must say I crazy surprised.

#25 Posted by Wes899 (2107 posts) -
@Fish_Face_McGee said:
" @Wes899 said:
" I'm guessing this is more like Blizzard than IW. "
It's not like either of them.  Activision DOES NOT OWN Bungie. "
Then even better. Why is everyone acting like bungie is destroyed now?
#26 Posted by project343 (2812 posts) -

Either I'm selectively reading, or it only says that Activision will be involved in a single title. It also (though potential bullshitting) says that the partnership is not focused on a creative alliance, but more as a distribution/marketing alliance.

#27 Posted by ayarti (18 posts) -

halo hero: space jam, available on all platforms.

#28 Posted by Fish_Face_McGee (475 posts) -
@Wes899 said:
" @Fish_Face_McGee said:
" @Wes899 said:
" I'm guessing this is more like Blizzard than IW. "
It's not like either of them.  Activision DOES NOT OWN Bungie. "
Then even better. Why is everyone acting like bungie is destroyed now? "
Because they're still working with Activision.  Which means the first selling IP Bungie makes will be the only one they make for the next 10 years. Again.  Which is the reason why they left Microsoft in the first place.
#29 Posted by Ninja (518 posts) -

Why do Bungie need to sign a ten year deal with anyone? They are big enough to survive on publishing deals on a game by game basis.

#30 Posted by Godwind (2597 posts) -
@bhhawks78 said:
" @Godwind said:
" It's activision's means to keep Infinity Ward on their toes.  Now Halo on the PS3? "
Microsoft owns the license halo isn't going anywhere.  Haloesque fps?  maybe "

I thought Killzone was suppose to be the subsutuite product.
#31 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5137 posts) -
@ebritt said:
"activision are only publishing all new IP's from bungie and as Wes899 points out they keep all IP rights so Halo will not be affected!  "

The Halo IP is owned by Microsoft.
#32 Posted by Webby (720 posts) -
#33 Posted by MatthewB92 (22 posts) -

 Bungie just made a deal with the devil.   
This is going to be fun lol. 

#34 Edited by Hamz (6846 posts) -

Considering Activision managed to rocket MW2 to such a high level of financial success I imagine they can do great things for Bungie and their future projects. Lets be fair they have a strong pedigree of talent with the Halo games being proof of their ability to make successful games. Perhaps this will make Infinity Ward employees realise they may be better off staying with Activision if a big developer like Bungie is willing to sing up with them in the midst of all this drama and legal action.
 
A surprise, but an oddly welcome one. Perhaps we'll see a Bungie creation on the PS3 sometime in the future!
 
At least now we know who will likely be making the next COD game.

#35 Posted by Steve_C (1750 posts) -

Wow. I have to say i'm interested in what they'll do. My ps3 has been lacking Bungie, if they hopefully choose to develop for it.

#36 Posted by ProfessorEss (7278 posts) -
@Ninja said:
" Why do Bungie need to sign a ten year deal with anyone? They are big enough to survive on publishing deals on a game by game basis. "
I can only assume this is a deal to handle the external elements of a game release. Bungie are too smart and have too strong a hand to relinquish too much control of their product. I can only assume this partnership is probably more marketing and distribution related.
 
I really can't see them penning a deal with anyone that would take control of the development back out of their hands.
 
We'll see.
#37 Posted by Wes899 (2107 posts) -
@Fish_Face_McGee said:
" @Wes899 said:
" @Fish_Face_McGee said:
" @Wes899 said:
" I'm guessing this is more like Blizzard than IW. "
It's not like either of them.  Activision DOES NOT OWN Bungie. "
Then even better. Why is everyone acting like bungie is destroyed now? "
Because they're still working with Activision.  Which means the first selling IP Bungie makes will be the only one they make for the next 10 years. Again.  Which is the reason why they left Microsoft in the first place. "
But weren't they owned by Microsoft as a 2nd party(I think) during that time? This just seems like a publishing deal.
#38 Posted by MattyFTM (14341 posts) -

It's just a publishing deal. It's not a takeover or anything like that. It just means that for any games Bungie develop in the next 10 years Activision get to make the disks, print the manuals and ship them to stores (or send them straight to you via the magic of the internet). It's not a big deal. The only difference any of us will notice is an Activision logo next to Bungie's on the box.

Moderator
#39 Posted by ColumnBreaker (1159 posts) -

THE BEST PART OF WAKIN UP, IS BUNGIE DYING A HORRIBLE DEAAAAAAAAAAAAATHHHHHHHHHHHHH

#40 Posted by Jimbo (9772 posts) -

It's a shame they had to jump into bed with Activision.  
 
However, I don't think this has to be seen as bad news.  I'm excited about the prospect of big developers owning their own IP and keeping creative control.  I've been arguing for a while that gaming desperately needed a 'New Hollywood' style shake up, and this, combined with Respawn, is a pretty great start.  For the first time in a long time, we are going to see some of the top talent in the industry making exactly what they want to be making, which has to be better than the assembly line approach of the last 5-10 years.

#41 Posted by Maxxlovins (23 posts) -

"Multi platform"? Do you think they'll be doing the Wii ports in house?

#42 Edited by JakJ (999 posts) -

 This looks a lot like Activision might be trying to get its own Partner program going after seeing how successful it was with EA over the past few years.
 
Hell of a way to start. This must mean MS' first look contract with Bungie doesn't exist anymore.

#43 Posted by Ninja (518 posts) -
@ProfessorEss said:
" @Ninja said:
" Why do Bungie need to sign a ten year deal with anyone? They are big enough to survive on publishing deals on a game by game basis. "
I can only assume this is a deal to handle the external elements of a game release. Bungie are too smart and have too strong a hand to relinquish too much control of their product. I can only assume this partnership is probably more marketing and distribution related.  I really can't see them penning a deal with anyone that would take control of the development back out of their hands.  We'll see. "
Yeah I agree with that point. I just don't know why they would like to see themselves locked into a publishing deal for ten years. Maybe there is some get out clause. I'm sure contracts where drafted with the largest amount of attention possible. Especially when the other company in the deal is Activision.
 
Oh well sounds like whatever Bungie are doing next it will have a huge driving force behind it.
#44 Posted by Herreno (333 posts) -

 "Bungie remains an independent company and will continue to own their intellectual property "   
   
Atleast it wont end as badly as the Infinity Ward deal.

#45 Edited by Codeacious (960 posts) -

Dude, what? Does this mean Activision will be publishing Reach?  Hopefully Activision will have no influence on Bungie, but if what MattyFTM said is true, I suspect Bungie will be fine.

#46 Posted by RobJ (398 posts) -

I'm surprised Bungie signed with them considering all the negative press Activision has.

#47 Posted by JakJ (999 posts) -
@Wes899 said:
" @Fish_Face_McGee said:
" @Wes899 said:
" I'm guessing this is more like Blizzard than IW. "
It's not like either of them.  Activision DOES NOT OWN Bungie. "
Then even better. Why is everyone acting like bungie is destroyed now? "
Cause people love having knee-jerk reactions without reading anything first.
#48 Edited by JakJ (999 posts) -
@RobJ said:

" I'm surprised Bungie signed with them considering all the negative press Activision has. "

I'd do business with Hitler himself if someone paid me enough. Everyone having a price + Activision being super-rich = this
#49 Posted by Gre (154 posts) -

I'm pretty sure Microsoft still owns all the IP for Halo, so there's not much of a chance of seeing anything Halo-related published by Activision.  But certainly other IPs...

#50 Edited by crusnchill (856 posts) -

Does Bungie have issue with their sight?!
Do they not see what is going on RIGHT now with Activision, Infinity Ward and Respawn Entertainment?
 
I'll take a wait and see stance to this I guess...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.