Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bungie

Company »

Bungie is a development studio owned by Sony Interactive Entertainment. They are the creators of the Marathon, Myth, Halo, and Destiny series of games.

Bungie's next big game could be on the Wii? Say it ain't so!

Avatar image for mightymayormike
    MightyMayorMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By MightyMayorMike

I respect the versatility and innovation of the Wii as much as anyone, but hearing Bungie's Harold Ryan say there could be a place for the Wii in the future kind of disturbs me. He was talking to Kotaku.

I just wonder why studios bother with it. You pretty much have to put out an entirely different game than the one you're making and, really, unless your game has Nintendo slapped on the box it probably won't sell that well.

Don't all of us have something in addition to a Wii? I can't imagine there's a serious gamer deprived of the big titles because all they have is a Wii. I guess since I just love Bungie, I really want to see them spread their wings and this whole Activision thing seems dubious.

Edit: made the link into an actual link.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By ProfessorEss

Maybe Bungie is just interested in making a killer Wii FPS.
    ...and maybe they are just the cats to make that breakthrough.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Cube

Personally I couldn't be happier about that, the Wii has a lot of potential and Bungie isn't a crap studio.  

Real good developers potentially doing real good things on the Wii shouldn't "disturb" anyone unless you're a nonsensical fanboy.

Lawrens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Lawrens

Sounds good to me, if they want to make a Wii game, good for them, as long as it's fun.

They'll probably be going multiplatform if they want to make money, but then, you never know, they could be able to make a game that becomes really popular to those millions of people that owns a wii. Halo was really popular and it wasn't even on a winning console.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#5  Edited By AgentJ
    @ProfessorEss said:
    " Maybe Bungie is just interested in making a killer Wii FPS. ...and maybe they are just the cats to make that breakthrough. "
    This. I'd be surprised to see them actually come out with anything on the Wii, but if they did it'd be interesting to see how they do when they can't lean on aim-assist. 
    While their single player outings have left much to be desired, their multiplayer prowess cannot be questioned.
    Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Romination

And Metroid has already laid the template for what it takes to have good controls in a Wii shooter (as with Red Steel 2), so it's easily possible and by no means a frightening prospect

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#7  Edited By Icemael

Bungie successfully brought first-person shooters to consoles. If anyone could put out a quality Wii first-person shooter, it's them.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8  Edited By Willy105

It will be interesting what they do.

But will Bungie be able to do something new, or are they a one trick pony?

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By owl_of_minerva

The less exclusives the more everyone wins in the long run (and the less consoles to buy). It's a draining investment when you don't want to miss out on any top-tier titles.

MightyMayorMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MightyMayorMike
    Yeah, I figured "fanboy" would be thrown around.

If they make a dedicated Wii game, then that's awesome. I probably wasn't explicit enough, but going multi-platform and then having a Wii game that's like the game you're making (like they did with Call of Duty) tacked on just seems like it takes away from development time for a title. But I guess Bungie is big enough that they could have different teams.

In the end, I definitely think Bungie should do what it wants. I just personally wouldn't be excited by a Wii title. I have tons of fun playing Wii games at a bud's house, but they've never had the immersive quality for me that Bungie's games have. Maybe they'd prove me wrong!
    MightyMayorMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MightyMayorMike
    @Willy105 said:
    " It will be interesting what they do.  But will Bungie be able to do something new, or are they a one trick pony? "
    They've done plenty new in the past. Halo isn't their only game. Or do you think they've become one because of it?
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#12  Edited By Icemael
    @Willy105 said:
    " It will be interesting what they do.  But will Bungie be able to do something new, or are they a one trick pony? "
    They made real-time strategy and third-person action games before Halo, so they're definitely not a one-trick pony.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By Meowayne

I pity everyone who doesn't own a Wii in 2010.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ch13696

Remember when they tried making Halo on the DS? That looked like it worked out very well. So I imagine, if they will be making a game for the Wii, it will actually be better than any other game on the Wii.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Willy105
    @Icemael said:

" @Willy105 said:

They made real-time strategy and third-person action games before Halo, so they're definitely not a one-trick pony. "
    That was a very long time ago.

Halo Wars wasn't even made by them, which is ironic considering Halo was supposed to be an RTS.

@Icemael said:
    " Bungie successfully brought first-person shooters to consoles. If anyone could put out a quality Wii first-person shooter, it's them. "

No, that was Rare.

Bungie made the Xbox a contender in the console race, which is just as important.
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Willy105
    @ch13696 said:
    " Remember when they tried making Halo on the DS? That looked like it worked out very well. So I imagine, if they will be making a game for the Wii, it will actually be better than any other game on the Wii. "
    Halo DS wasn't Bungie. It was the developer of GoldenEye Rogue something.
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ch13696
    @Willy105 said:
    " @ch13696 said:
    " Remember when they tried making Halo on the DS? That looked like it worked out very well. So I imagine, if they will be making a game for the Wii, it will actually be better than any other game on the Wii. "
    Halo DS wasn't Bungie. It was the developer of GoldenEye Rogue something. "
    Didn't Bungie own some sort of right to it?
    Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By Gabriel

There not making a dedicated Wii game, if anything whatever they make on PS3/360 would be later ported to Wii.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Willy105
    @ch13696 said:
    " @Willy105 said:
    " @ch13696 said:
    Halo DS wasn't Bungie. It was the developer of GoldenEye Rogue something. "
    Didn't Bungie own some sort of right to it? "

I don't know if Bungie had anything to do with it, but Microsoft has done a couple of DS projects, most notably with Rare.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.