Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bungie

Company »

Bungie is a development studio owned by Sony Interactive Entertainment. They are the creators of the Marathon, Myth, Halo, and Destiny series of games.

Halo: Reach will be Bungie's last Halo game

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 106

#1  Edited By citizenkane
    http://www.joystiq.com/2009/07/24/bungie-says-halo-reach-is-its-last-halo-game-working-on-new-ip/

Let's face it, folks -- ten years is a long time to be working on a single franchise. That ten years could feel like a lot more when you're rarely on break, back in the development seat for another new Halo nearly every two years. Such is the tale for ex-Microsoft developer Bungie Studios, who told IGN UK at this week's San Diego Comic-Con, "After Reach that's it for us." Meaning that after next year's Halo: Reach ships to stores, Bungie is out of the alien killin', FPS genre -- at least those starring members of the UNSC, that is.

Though Bungie's Lars Bakken doesn't go into tons of detail about the studio's next game, he does say, "We're already working on a new IP that we can't talk about yet ... we've done a lot of different styles - first person to third person to RTS - so it could be anything." Eurogamer found out earlier in the day from Bakken that the upcoming game has yet to find a publisher, though Bungie is currently in talks with various companies and he says, "those talks are, I guess, close." Future Halo titles (you thought Reach was the last?) will be handled by 343 Industries, the recently trademarked, Microsoft-owned studio.

We contacted Bungie for comment on Mr. Bakken's comments and were told, "While it's great to see so much public interest over what the future holds for Bungie, we're not ready to talk about any plans or games beyond Halo 3: ODST or Halo: Reach. It's no secret that we've had multiple projects in development nor that we've also been working on original IP in tandem to our Halo titles but our focus right now is on our two upcoming releases. We'll have more to say when the time is right."

This is for the best.  I love Halo as much as anybody, but it is time to put the franchise behind and start of something new that will most likely be amazing,  I also would hate to see Halo turn into a "milked" franchise.
    Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

#2  Edited By Forcen
    @dcpc10 said:
    " Thank. You.One less milked franchise can sometimes make all the difference. "
    Microsoft still owns the Halo franchise. This will not stop them..
    metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By metal_mills
    @dcpc10 said:
    They won't even stop milking Halo.
    Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Death_Unicorn

I can't wait to see what comes out of Bungie.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By mordukai
    @CitizenKane: I can see Bungie joining the EAP program. From articles I read every studio in the EAP program are extremely happy with how EA are handling it. 
    jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By jkz

I'm glad. I would love to see them put that talent they have to good use making something fresh and unique, rather than total rehashes

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Godwind

It will be milked.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By JJOR64

I personally think Guitar Hero is milked more then Halo.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Akeldama
    @dcpc10 said:
    nope. Just because this is Bungie's last doesnt mean we wont be seeing "Totaly Halo: Totally Party" in the coming years. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.