New art and info on Bungie's new video game...Destiny

• 55 results
#1 Edited by Fattony12000 (6357 posts) -

Our story begins seven hundred years from now in the Last City on Earth, in a Solar System littered with the ruins of man's Golden Age. A massive, mysterious alien ship hangs overhead like a second Moon. No one knows where it came from or what it's here for, but only that it's our protector. Meanwhile, strange, alien monsters creep in from the edge of the universe, determined to take Earth and the Last City. We are young ‘knights' tasked with defending the remains of humanity, discovering the source of these monsters and - eventually - overcoming it.

I think this faint outline of a premise could be real fun coming from the guys who love their big huge space opera story romping shenanigans, AIs, naughty technology, world building (from a story detail perspective), exploration of the interplay between intelligent ancient races and far-future societies...as well as good ole universe-ending weaponry.

Since we are still without confirmation that this game is the supposed MMO joint they're chipping away at, I wonder where they will put the camera in this game? Third-person, first-person, isometric...since these are all formats they've tackled before. Also, I CAN NOT wait for the dopest skybox technology that we've ever seen.

http://www.bungie.net/news/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=32235

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/11/28/destiny-story-details-concept-art-leaked

According to the document, “Our story begins seven hundred years from now in the Last City on Earth, in a Solar System littered with the ruins of man’s Golden Age. A massive, mysterious alien ship hangs overhead like a second Moon. No one knows where it came from or what it’s here for, but only that it’s our protector. Meanwhile, strange, alien monsters creep in from the edge of the universe, determined to take Earth and the Last City. We are young ‘knights’ tasked with defending the remains of humanity, discovering the source of these monsters and – eventually – overcoming it.” Elsewhere in the document, the massive alien ship is referred to as “the Traveler.”

Destiny is further described as “fun and accessible to all,” aiming “to create a universe as deep, tangible and relatable as that of the Star Wars franchise.” Based on the language in the document, it appears that Bungie aims to create a universe accessible to multiple demographics, perhaps suggesting that Destiny will be less mature than Bungie’s efforts with Halo. A quote from Bungie co-founder Jason Jones says “Destiny is designed for your inner seven year old. We want to make it feel like a mythic adventure.”

Destiny’s gameplay is described by the document as “social at its core,” offering “a world to explore with friends, both old and new.” It’s unclear whether this confirms comments from Bungie in 2011 that the game is an MMO, which Bungie later called a joke. The document also includes a Destiny logo along with Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 icons, as well as the URL Destiny.com. It’s worth noting that while Destiny.com is currently password-protected, if it is indeed a URL that’s been purchased by Bungie, it could suggest that Destiny will indeed be the game’s final name rather than a codename as previously speculated.

It's worth noting that the agency-provided images do appear to be mock-ups for advertising purposes and are likely based on previously-existing imagery. Eagle-eyed readers have pointed out that the second image appears to be based on artwork from canceled Command & Conquer game Tiberium.

http://www.polygon.com/2012/11/27/3699650/destiny-leaked-images-bungie

The next game from the creators of Halo may have just been revealed in a substantial leak of concept art and game details. According to a report from IGN, details on Bungie's "sci-fantasy, action shooter" Destiny, including its plot and visual design, have been revealed from a leaked advertising document.

In response to the published images, Bungie posted concept art on its website that matches the artwork purportedly from Destiny, writing "Go ahead. Take a peek. It's alright. We weren't quite ready, but we will be soon, and we can't wait to finally show you what we've really been up to."

Destiny is described as a "fun and accessible" shooter designed to be as "deep, tangible and relatable as that of the Star Wars franchise," according to IGN's report. The game is pitched as "social at its core," possibly lending credence to rumors that the game draws influence from massively multiplayer online games.

The marketing document created by an outside advertising firm — a fact that Bungie confirmed to IGN — contains an extensive plot background.

#2 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

SUPER SPACEY I LOVE IT! 

#3 Posted by believer258 (11047 posts) -

Sounds like a JRPG or a MMO.

#4 Posted by ShadowConqueror (2994 posts) -

Needs more Durandal.

#5 Posted by believer258 (11047 posts) -

Also, there should be a PC logo under there. Fuck, I don't want to get anything on consoles that I don't have to.

#6 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2148 posts) -

That's some pretty sick art. Can't wait to hear/see more!

#7 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

Sold. Sold. Sold. Sold. Sold. Bungie's one of my, if not my favourite dev. I can't fucking wait!

#8 Posted by TooWalrus (12977 posts) -

@believer258 said:

Sounds like a JRPG or a MMO.

Halo had a baby with Final Fantasy XIII. I'm down.

#9 Posted by Tylea002 (2291 posts) -

Sounds like they really loved the religious and philosophical overtones to halo and bred them with a bit of CRAZY and went full out.

Which is the right direction, seems awesome.

#10 Posted by TheHT (10287 posts) -

Fuck. Yes.

#11 Posted by Muttinus_Rump (814 posts) -

What a boring name. Looks great though.

#12 Posted by The_Nubster (1951 posts) -

That looks like Halo with rougher technology, instead of everything being so smooth.

I also dislike the language being used. Inner seven-year-old? Fun and accessible for all? A mythic adventure? None of those tickle in a good way.

#13 Posted by pweidman (2215 posts) -

Future Fallout is the vibe I'm gettin' here. Fascinating screenies. Can't wait to learn more.

TY tc for the info., links, and peek into Bungie's latest doings. :)

#14 Edited by ShiftyMagician (2128 posts) -

I'll wait for gameplay footage to show what this game will actually be before I decide that I should pay attention to this. Concept art looks real nice though and the image of the alien ship hovering over Earth is simple yet visually cool.

#15 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Looks like they are making a Final Fantasy game.

#16 Posted by Hailinel (22717 posts) -

Activision is going to be pissed if it isn't a first-person shooter.

#17 Posted by Kerned (1168 posts) -

@Muttinus_Rump said:

It's easy to forget now, but "Halo" wasn't a very exciting name at the time. It ended up doing alright.

#18 Posted by Muttinus_Rump (814 posts) -

@Kerned said:

@Muttinus_Rump said:

It's easy to forget now, but "Halo" wasn't a very exciting name at the time. It ended up doing alright.

Yeah I'm sure it'll stick eventually, it's just such a cliche word though.

#19 Posted by DharmaBum (1060 posts) -

Definitely getting a Marathon vibe from the art style, which is a good thing.

#20 Posted by Phatmac (5686 posts) -

Destiny isn't the last name folks, it's just a project name. As a huge Bungie fan I'll be playing this for sure.

#21 Posted by coakroach (2478 posts) -

Something about that art style makes me think it's being developed in Japan...

Excited to hear more about it though, I love me some Bungie

#22 Posted by Doctorchimp (4063 posts) -

Man, if the whole narrative is as vague as the description I think I'm into it.

Last City? Remnants of a Golden Age? I like it when a sci-fi tries to keep things hidden, so that way you're surprised the entire time.

#23 Posted by Andorski (5111 posts) -

Cool concept art (but when is concept art never good). I always like it when something that's sci-fi adds a medieval fantasy touch to its aesthetics.

#24 Edited by MildMolasses (3194 posts) -

@Andorski said:

Cool concept art (but when is concept art never good).

I think I've hated every piece of Final Fantasy concept art I've ever seen, and that includes the games I love

My avatar makes me hate myself

#25 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

Sounds awesome to me.

#26 Posted by Akrid (1346 posts) -

I was hoping for something outside of scifi, but this sounds really great.

#27 Edited by Daneian (1172 posts) -

Duh-duh duh-duh duh-duh MARATHON!

#28 Posted by Brendan (7519 posts) -

Could be cool, but I'm actually more interested in games set in a more "mundane" world at the moment. It seems like most games are either in a far-out fantasy or a military fever-dream, and I find myself most interested in GTA V and Watch Dogs; games with interesting stories or mechanics in a grounded place.

#29 Posted by JasonR86 (9379 posts) -

The concept art looks nice. I really hope it isn't an MMO though.

#30 Posted by Falconer (1658 posts) -

Bungie on the box = instant buy

On the downside 360/PS3? Really? *sigh* Looks like my 360 is going to stay out until 2014.

#31 Posted by believer258 (11047 posts) -
@ShadowConqueror
Needs more Durandal.
This.
THIS.
SO MUCH THIS.
But it won't happen.
#32 Posted by Lydian_Sel (2452 posts) -

Really striking concept art for sure, as somebody who didn't really enjoy any of the Halo games I'll be keen to see what the actual product turns out to be. Though iff the MMO rumors are true then the slight smidgeon of interest I feel right now is probably already enthusiasm wasted.

#33 Posted by cmblasko (1006 posts) -

I'm quite interested in seeing this in action. If it is a 360/PS3 game, would that mean that we will be seeing this drop sometime early next year? Or are the next-gen consoles farther out than we thought?

#34 Posted by Sackmanjones (4609 posts) -

It's your Destiny.

Put it on the box

#35 Posted by Animasta (14460 posts) -

@Sackmanjones said:

It's your Destiny. Put it on the box

your destiny awaits is better

#36 Posted by Trav (241 posts) -

AND THEN THE CHIEF COMES IN AND HE'S LIKE BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

My vision for the game:

HIT ME UP FOR CONTACT INFO BUNGIE

#37 Posted by Zereta (1353 posts) -

That official concept art that they revealed.

Fucking wow.

Wow.

#38 Posted by Giantstalker (1445 posts) -

I know there isn't a snowball's chance in hell of there being a PC version, but man... I'd like to see them do that. Especially with something this promising.

#39 Posted by Vinny_Says (5630 posts) -

@pweidman said:

Future Fallout is the vibe I'm gettin' here. Fascinating screenies. Can't wait to learn more.

TY tc for the info., links, and peek into Bungie's latest doings. :)

Fallout is already set in the future son!

But this game sure does sound like a JRPG, but I'm still down to play it. Is it really coming out on this generation of consoles though? Why not just wait it out and be a launch title or early title for nextbox/PS4?

#40 Posted by cclemon36 (179 posts) -

I really love that Japanese style tank design. Can't wait to hear more about this title.

#41 Posted by Kraznor (1573 posts) -

@The_Nubster said:

That looks like Halo with rougher technology, instead of everything being so smooth.

I also dislike the language being used. Inner seven-year-old? Fun and accessible for all? A mythic adventure? None of those tickle in a good way.

Word. Already kind of disappointed with what I'm seeing of this. You got away from making a science fiction shooter so you could go and make another one? Great, real creative guys them Bungie folk.

#42 Edited by FunkasaurasRex (847 posts) -

That is some dope art.

@Giantstalker said:

I know there isn't a snowball's chance in hell of there being a PC version, but man... I'd like to see them do that. Especially with something this promising.

They haven't said whether or not this is the MMO they've been working on right? I'd assume that such a game would be on the PC, but anything could happen I guess.

Edit: Totally didn't pay attention to the title image/banner/thing and the PS3 and 360 logos. Kind of a bummer that they might not make a [likely superior] PC version.

#43 Posted by VisariLoyalist (2991 posts) -

next gen?

#44 Posted by geirr (2381 posts) -

@believer258 said:

Also, there should be a PC logo under there. Fuck, I don't want to get anything on consoles that I don't have to.

Yeah it's a huge bummer.

#45 Posted by Sweep (8542 posts) -

Would have loved to see the meetings where they decided the themes for their new game.

"OK guys, we have finally escaped the Halo universe, so now is the time to get creative! Whatt'ya got?"

*Silence*

"Fuck. Alright, I guess we're doing aliens again."

#46 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

@Sweep said:

"Fuck. Alright, I guess we're doing aliens again."

And I couldn't be happier. Sci-fi is the best setting and Bungie do sci-fi better than most.

#47 Posted by RazielCuts (2711 posts) -

Hello new wallpaper, this looks gorgeous. Have to agree with @Muttinus_Rump 'Destiny' is such a generic name, where do you go from there? Also I can't help but look at the logo and think -

#48 Posted by dutchbear10 (51 posts) -

That art work is badass. It gives me a Halo meets Star Wars vibe, but that is just being super deductive.

Can't wait for the game!

#49 Posted by Mnemoidian (944 posts) -

Sounds like more totally-not-warhammer.

Could be fun, but anything that could be an MMO instantly makes me suspicious.

#50 Posted by McGhee (6091 posts) -

"Naughty technology?"

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.