Rumor: Bungie Working On An MMO FPS Called Destiny?

• 90 results
#51 Edited by GreyFoxV1 (101 posts) -
@Phenwah said:

" Man, if your breaking-news article contains the phrase " According to Kotaku", just stop. "

Those guys are hacks who put up pictures of barely clothed women, a teaser headline and a paragraph of conjecture/hearsay/opinion then call it "an article". The National Enquirer has more credibility then those buffoons.
#52 Posted by Ghostin (412 posts) -

If this isn't just a wild rumour, I recommend they use wide open space by Mansun for their first trailer...
#53 Posted by Tweeter5004 (12 posts) -

Simply put " That would be the tits"

#54 Posted by MisfitToy (144 posts) -

I'll take the social media enhanced gaming route for a standard (non-MMO) FPS route.  Meaning that they'll be more participation from the community.  Perhaps easier to search for custom maps like, say, Little Big Planet.  Or customization of random objects or armor like, say, Forza 3.  Just thoughts.

#55 Posted by Jinto (189 posts) -

Remember folks, Activision is behind this one. So if it ends up being successful be prepared for a shit storm of overpriced DLC and endless Gamestop commercials.

#56 Posted by Donos (1225 posts) -

Bungie's best work has always been in multiplayer infrastructure and community, so this sounds like a good fit. Hopefully it'll actually come out (Im looking at you, Huxley)

#57 Posted by Aronman789 (2737 posts) -

I still play Planetside.

#58 Posted by Springfart (406 posts) -

http://youtu.be/ClwRisZXpvA    

#59 Posted by EricWinholt (55 posts) -
@Tweeter5004 said:
" Simply put " That would be the tits" "
This!
#60 Posted by Vyper (112 posts) -

Considering Planetside is possibly one of my favorite games of all times (and I think there is rumors of a Planetside 2 around this year?)...I would like to see an mmofps, but they need to get the scale and action right. I'm optimistic though, if anyone could pull this off, it would be bungie.

#61 Posted by Terjay (843 posts) -

If it's free to play, I'm in.

#62 Posted by DrMadHatten (133 posts) -

If Bungie has the funding (yes) and the fan support (from me at least, yes), then this could really be a big hit. Let's hope they make it fun to play and little to no dice rolls like fallout.

#63 Posted by Dizzyhippos (2086 posts) -

I may be wrong but something tells me the overlap between people that play mmo's and people that play halo isn't huge

#64 Edited by SquirrelGOD (517 posts) -
@Dizzyhippos said:

" I may be wrong but something tells me the overlap between people that play mmo's and people that play halo isn't huge "

That could actually be a good thing.  If those people who play Halo see this and it interests them, they're not going to be conflicted by the fact that they're already paying $15 for WoW or another MMO.  If they make it a good FPS experience, this could be huge.
#65 Posted by Levio (1798 posts) -

Blizzard is already working on a scifi-mmo-fps.  Can't be a coincidence.

#66 Posted by coaxmetal (1714 posts) -

An MMOFPS? Well, no wonder Microsoft passed it up.

#67 Posted by FinalCut (100 posts) -

Think is Activision's biggest dream, monetizing an FPS through a subscription from the get-go. It would really hard to transition the COD fanbase to that idea but if you start with a fresh IP and make it 'the next big thing' from the publishers of COD then they could rake in the money.

#68 Posted by Scodiac (491 posts) -

I'm very interested in what Bungie does next. Reach is my favorite game from last year but I'm not really into MMOs anymore. I've been sucked into a lot of them and haven't really got anything out. They aren't that fun and cost too much and I can't even jump back into the game for a while without paying more. So, I dunno how they'll deal with the payment model but hearing MMO doesn't really excite me anymore. It does the opposite. 

#69 Posted by beeftothetaco (438 posts) -

its just a matter of time before mr. kotick will have his way with bungie

#70 Posted by EndrzGame (325 posts) -

As much as I love Bungie I've sworn off anything involving Activison.

#71 Posted by E_rock (159 posts) -
@John117 said:
" Think is Activision's biggest dream, monetizing an FPS through a subscription from the get-go. It would really hard to transition the COD fanbase to that idea but if you start with a fresh IP and make it 'the next big thing' from the publishers of COD then they could rake in the money. "    
When I started reading this article I was excited to see a potentially decent FPS MMO on the 360 but as soon as I read the part where Activision was running this whole shindig I couldn't help but think the same thing as John117.  

Is it time for ole Bobby to run that Halo car into the ground yet?
#72 Posted by Kyle (2375 posts) -

There have been too many rumors about Bungie making some sort of persistent online world FPS for it to not be at least partially true. I have faith in Bungie, so I would expect it to be a very non-traditional MMO, and also probably pretty awesome.

#73 Posted by aurahack (2483 posts) -

Activision somehow snagged the license to Huxley and Bungie is going to make it into an actual retail game. 

#74 Posted by bellmont42 (332 posts) -

Planetside 2 is coming out this year... just saying......

#75 Posted by Hector (3514 posts) -
if it hits console then yes.
#76 Posted by Mike76x (559 posts) -

Whatever the project is, I'm confident Activision will ruin it.

#77 Edited by CheckPointD (51 posts) -

I would be interested in seeing what Bungie could do.  I know Bungie and Halo are treated as old hat lately but you have to remember the head way they made for the FPS on the console.  Maybe they could further progress the FPS with "MMO" qualities to give us something new without just polishing a turd - APB.

#78 Posted by Uberjannie (333 posts) -

Yet another wagon for the MMO train.
I tire of the same old things over and over again.

#79 Posted by snaptroll (74 posts) -

At this point in my life I've come to believe MMOs are  synonymous with "bad," WoW not being one of the very few exceptions. So unless this is like Planetside, this game can suck it.

#80 Posted by detectivepbert (273 posts) -

i think a sci-fi fps/mmo could be awesome.  may be a better way to implement mmo on consoles then something like dcuo.

#81 Posted by Killaman996 (30 posts) -
@EmuLeader: I can see Bungie pulling it off. Its an interesting story that gets the ball rolling on speculation but i think its fair to say that we all just need to wait and see what Bungie does. 
#82 Posted by Coldbrand (215 posts) -

MODERN WARFARE 2 BRO IN SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

#83 Posted by FavoritoBandito (171 posts) -

Would it be wrong to imagine that the MMO is "Call of Destiny". 
Bobby Kotick leave Bungie alone!

#84 Posted by 1xmilox1 (58 posts) -

what ever happened to huxley?

#85 Posted by JFetch (124 posts) -

Nobody has successfully made a MMOFPS. I don't doubt that they would try, but I doubt we'll ever see it as it's not something that would be fun to play.

#86 Posted by jebus831 (2 posts) -

well i love MMO and im not a big fan of FPS but i loved borderlands and reach brought me back into the halo world so another MMO FPS would be awsome just plz no lobbeys

#87 Posted by Scaifism (6 posts) -

smells true, knowing how Activision wants Call of Duty to go pay-to-play

#88 Posted by H4NNiiB4L (7 posts) -

I seriously doubt any news about their 'current' project is reliable right now. And who else but BUNGIE to play a prank...

#89 Posted by ginono (6 posts) -

yeah halo online

#90 Posted by DJMankiewicz (3 posts) -

If Bungie is doing it, I'm in, basically.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.