Sick Kid gets a Gift from bungie

#1 Posted by mrfluke (4841 posts) -

forgive the sensationalized title

but yea, Apparently A young kid thats a huge halo fan had undergo an intense liver transplant surgery and got a get well gift from bungie

Joystiq ran the story, pretty feel good story right there.

Heres the album that telegraphs the whole story

figure people would appreciate another feel good story after all the crap this week

#2 Posted by GreggD (4442 posts) -

Well this was awesome. Thank you, sir.

#3 Posted by TruthTellah (7641 posts) -

Glad he pulled through and a developer could help his recovery in any small way that they could.
#4 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

What crap? Did something happen?

#5 Posted by mrfluke (4841 posts) -

@TruthTellah: thats a fantastic gif

#6 Posted by Funkydupe (3293 posts) -

Nice! Poor kid.

#7 Posted by Phatmac (5686 posts) -

Bungie continued to be awesome.

#8 Posted by Phatmac (5686 posts) -

Continues

#9 Posted by TheHT (10274 posts) -

@TruthTellah: what's that from?

#10 Posted by TooWalrus (12972 posts) -

Oh man, hopefully the kid appreciates how fuckin' cool that thing is.

#11 Posted by ChinaDontCare (111 posts) -
#12 Edited by Marmalade (189 posts) -

Forgive my ignorance, as I live under a rock, but I'm curious what all the crap from this week is.

EDIT: Never mind, I see it got answered. Although now I'm curious about said shitstorm, so I guess I'll go check that out now.

#13 Posted by Breadfan (6586 posts) -

That's awesome.

#14 Posted by mrfluke (4841 posts) -

@Sooty: just the shitstorm that happened when patrick posted about the dead island statue

dunno if your being sarcastic or not

#15 Posted by mrfluke (4841 posts) -

@Marmalade: controversy over the dmc Devil May cry review, and the shitstorm of comments over the dead island tits statue story

#16 Posted by mlarrabee (2759 posts) -

Man, that kid's stitches are severe. With how far surgery has progressed in the past decade I didn't realize liver replacements were still so invasive. Rough stuff, and good on Bungie.

But, personally, I don't think a kid that young should be that into Halo. Yes, he's gone through tougher life experiences than most of us, but when I was his age I played Sidewinder and Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure: Forbidden Planet. But each parent's choice.

#17 Posted by Ramone (2931 posts) -

Awesome, but should a kid that young be playing Halo?

#18 Posted by TruthTellah (7641 posts) -

@TheHT said:

@TruthTellah: what's that from?

It's actually from a kids' show called Ben10: Ultimate Alien, which doesn't mind shedding a manly tear every once in a while.

#19 Posted by Skytylz (4015 posts) -

@Ramone: Ehhh, I was probably playing halo when I was barely older than him. It's pretty cartoony so I don't think it's as bad as some other games he could be playing, but it's up to the parents I feel like.

#20 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

That's a pretty cool thing to do! I don't like Halo, but that was awesome.

@TruthTellah said:

Glad he pulled through and a developer could help his recovery in any small way that they could.

Damn, what cartoon is this?

#21 Posted by buft (3298 posts) -

oh my god those scars, i cant even imagine the pain that kids went through and bravo to the guys at bungie, if memory serves this isnt the first time they took time out to help someone.

#22 Posted by MikkaQ (10224 posts) -

Wow that's really awesome of Bungie.

I would think the kid looks a little too young for Halo, but I guess I played the first one when I was 12.

#23 Edited by Evilsbane (4333 posts) -

@Ramone said:

Yes Yes he should if his parents feel that he is able to handle it, my dad did I remember him asking me when I was like 11 I was at his work playing at a LAN party with a bunch of IT nerds (which I am now one of) and one of them asked him if he thought I was a little young to playing what we were playing, he stopped and thought about it then looked at me and asked me if what I was doing on screen was real or that I would ever do that in real life, of course I looked at him like he was crazy it was just a video game who cares? And honestly what else do you need? I'm a completely stable normal person and I remember me and my dad snickering over playing POSTAL for christ sake and after we got like 3 levels in with both thought it was a little Too weird. If you feel like you have a smart kid who understands what is fantasy and what isn't then they have my seal of approval play some fucking Halo.

EDIT: Forgot what I was gonna say, that photo album made me feel good that whole news story made me feel good not enough of that, its why I stopped watching the news.

#24 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@mrfluke said:

@Sooty: just the shitstorm that happened when patrick posted about the dead island statue

dunno if your being sarcastic or not

lolwut where?

#25 Posted by mrfluke (4841 posts) -

i know i know 343 is the guys behind halo 4, but i still found it weird for a split second that he got stuff from halo reach

#26 Edited by mrfluke (4841 posts) -
#27 Posted by coakroach (2478 posts) -

Yay! Human kindness!

#28 Posted by MentalDisruption (1618 posts) -

This is great. Love it when developers take time to do something like this.

#29 Posted by PokeIkzai (385 posts) -

When I loaded the album up and saw those scars I just felt terrible for that poor kid but I started choking up a bit when it showed him getting that awesome helmet. This was a beautiful thing that Bungie did for that kid. Sometimes I feel really down about all the negativity in the world and stories like these just hits me hard.

#30 Posted by Cramsy (1160 posts) -

Goddamit got a bit teary. Really lovely set of shots

#31 Posted by Tru3_Blu3 (3151 posts) -

My pessimism meter is completely overwhelmed by this. Did Bungie do this for the sake of an image? Or did they truly do this out of their own hearts?

The latter is usually hard to believe when you grow up, but this I can believe.

#32 Edited by Wrighteous86 (3642 posts) -

@Tru3_Blu3 said:

My pessimism meter is completely overwhelmed by this. Did Bungie do this for the sake of an image? Or did they truly do this out of their own hearts?

The latter is usually hard to believe when you grow up, but this I can believe.

Considering they don't work on Halo anymore, I find it a bit easier to believe their intentions were noble. Besides, people in major corporations are still people; and either way, who cares why they did it. All that matters is that little kid's day was made.

#33 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5750 posts) -

oh man, this story is too nice ;___;

#34 Posted by bucifer (86 posts) -

@Tru3_Blu3: Can't we just be happy for the poor kid?

#35 Posted by LikeaSsur (1430 posts) -

@Ramone said:

That was my first thought too. I'm glad he's okay, and Bungie went out of their way to support him, but....all of the games are rated M, and he's 9...

#36 Posted by MariachiMacabre (6936 posts) -

Well done, Bungie.

#37 Posted by mrfluke (4841 posts) -

@Cramsy said:

Goddamit got a bit teary. Really lovely set of shots

@PokeIkzai said:

When I loaded the album up and saw those scars I just felt terrible for that poor kid but I started choking up a bit when it showed him getting that awesome helmet. This was a beautiful thing that Bungie did for that kid. Sometimes I feel really down about all the negativity in the world and stories like these just hits me hard.

@FancySoapsMan said:

oh man, this story is too nice ;___;

good to hear that you guys got a good feel good out of the story, exactly why i wanted to post a story like this, too much bullshit in the world these days, good to hear an awesome story every now and then

#38 Posted by mrfluke (4841 posts) -

@Tru3_Blu3: i see where your coming from, even if its a bit cynical for you to say that, but nah bungie just does this stuff cause they are awesome.

they did stuff like this before, but i cant find the stories that prove it.

#39 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3627 posts) -

Poor little dude. Good on Bungie.

#40 Posted by Ravenlight (8033 posts) -

Psh. I've been sick before and didn't get jack shit from any game devs.

#41 Posted by mrfluke (4841 posts) -

@LikeaSsur said:

@Ramone said:

That was my first thought too. I'm glad he's okay, and Bungie went out of their way to support him, but....all of the games are rated M, and he's 9...

i mean your just shooting aliens, he probably views the spartans in halo like an empowering figure.

#42 Posted by Blimble (302 posts) -

I think I can feel some horrible illness coming on *cough*, tell Kojima to send me one of those Solidus figures before I get any worse

Bungie are awesome for doing this though, poor kid

#43 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

This is such a heartwarming story, his picture at the end moved me.

#44 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

Poor kid, good on bungie for trying to lift his spirits.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.