Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bungie

Company »

Bungie is a development studio owned by Sony Interactive Entertainment. They are the creators of the Marathon, Myth, Halo, and Destiny series of games.

What do you think Bungie would make?

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

Well, I'm sure most of you have heard that Bungie basically wants to be a studio that makes games rather than a studio that makes Halo.
    They have said that they have 3 new projects going on, one of which turned out to be Halo 3: ODST. 

Numerous times, they've said that they were making a straight up new game, not Halo, not Marathon, not anything related to those games.

So, honestly, what do you think it is?
    Do you even think Bungie can do anything else outside of Halo?  It has been like 10 years since they've made anything else and released it (oni wasn't even them- that was rockstar's studio they called bungie west)

Am I expecting something as good as Halo (is to me)?  No, not really.  That being said, they have proven that they can definately make quality games, and I'm looking forward to their next thing.  I guess ODST might give us a taste of Bungie's work outside Halo (as it has, essentially, new gameplay).

Fosssil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Fosssil
    SmugDarkLoser said:
    "Well, I'm sure most of you have heard that Bungie basically wants to be a studio that makes games rather than a studio that makes Halo.
    They have said that they have 3 new projects going on, one of which turned out to be Halo 3: ODST. 

Numerous times, they've said that they were making a straight up new game, not Halo, not Marathon, not anything related to those games.

Do you even think Bungie can do anything else outside of Halo?  It has been like 10 years since they've made anything else and released it (oni wasn't even them- that was rockstar's studio they called bungie west)"
    I don't think they've come out and said that they aren't possibly working on a new Marathon game, or even confirmed any details about their new projects other than saying something along the lines of "we're working on something new." Personally, I'd love to see a new Marathon.

Also, Oni was made by Bungie West, and Bungie West was not Rockstar.
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By wefwefasdf

I still want to know what that green thing.

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

They need to stop continuously fucking up the Halo franchise and make something new.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
    Fosssil said:
    "SmugDarkLoser said:
    "Well, I'm sure most of you have heard that Bungie basically wants to be a studio that makes games rather than a studio that makes Halo.

Do you even think Bungie can do anything else outside of Halo?  It has been like 10 years since they've made anything else and released it (oni wasn't even them- that was rockstar's studio they called bungie west)"
    I don't think they've come out and said that they aren't possibly working on a new Marathon game, or even confirmed any details about their new projects other than saying something along the lines of "we're working on something new." Personally, I'd love to see a new Marathon.

Also, Oni was made by Bungie West, and Bungie West was not Rockstar."
    Nope, they straight up said that they're wokring on 3 projects (again, one is odst).
    Most bungie related news is on Bungie.net first.

for example, they have completed the actual odst game, they just need to essentially polish and fix it http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=16449
    (wouldn't be suprised if half of the thing is placeholders though)

--->  They've never said they aren't working on an old ip, but they have said that they're working on a new one, odst, and then some super mystery one and also that in general, they want to make more games than just the one series out every 5/2 year
    Fosssil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Fosssil
    SmugDarkLoser said:
    "Nope, they straight up said that they're wokring on 3 projects (again, one is odst).

for example, they have completed the actual odst game, they just need to essentially polish and fix it http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=16449"
    I know, and I read Bungie.net fairly regularly. My point was that they haven't said anything about the content of their new projects (other than ODST), and I was therefore disagreeing with your suggestion that a Marathon successor is an impossibility.
    SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
    Fosssil said:
    "SmugDarkLoser said:
    "Nope, they straight up said that they're wokring on 3 projects (again, one is odst).

for example, they have completed the actual odst game, they just need to essentially polish and fix it http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=16449"
    I know, and I read Bungie.net fairly regularly. My point was that they haven't said anything about the content of their new projects (other than ODST), and I was therefore disagreeing with your suggestion that a Marathon successor is an impossibility."
    Oh, because of "numerous times...", I meant that they're making a new game that isn't those.  Not neccessarily that they're not making those, my bad.
    Truth is, they probably will make another halo.

Another marathon?  Maybe, but at the same time you have to account for the fact that it sort of would be awkward in a way.  It'd have to be radically different from the 1st and 2nd, essentially only connected through story.
    And then there's the fact that it's a shooter and to be honest, I doubt Bungie is going to make another shooter, at least competitive shooter.  It just doesn't make so much sense.
    Not impossible though. 

But they are still probably working on halo (remember thta rumored game forerunner?  that's what I'm thinking the next is) and obviously ODST, and finally a new ip.
    So essentially they'd have 4 completely differerent games out- an all around game wtih an extremely strong mp that'll hold fans over until, forever, lulz.  An open world shooter.  and then two new possibilities of compeltely new gameplay, one of which would be tied to the halo universe.

---->  I'm sensing something zany (is that how you spell it? looks awkward).  Why?  Well, they're always posting pictures of gorrillaz and ninjas.  It just seems bungie by nature.
    atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By atejas

As long as it's not Halo......

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
    atejas said:
    "As long as it's not Halo......"
    Why so much hate for halo? 

Does it's popularity and scores not show that it's good?  Just because you don't like something doesn't meanit's not good.
    Either way you have to admit to the quality of the game.
    atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By atejas
    SmugDarkLoser said:
    "atejas said:

Does it's popularity and scores not show that it's good?  Just because you don't like something doesn't meanit's not good.
    Either way you have to admit to the quality of the game."
    It's terribly overrated, imho. I'm not calling it a bad game, but I'm not calling it a great game either. It's just a generic "Space marine shoots aliens because humanity" game.
    SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
    atejas said:
    "SmugDarkLoser said:
    "atejas said:

It's terribly overrated, imho. I'm not calling it a bad game, but I'm not calling it a great game either. It's just a generic "Space marine shoots aliens because humanity" game."
    That's not the story at all, lol.   That's like saying FF7 is about a soldier who lost his past vs. evil man. 

But what I will say is that don't you think that everyone else may have a point?
    And it's not at all like Madden or even Guitar Hero.  While those games sell incredibly well, they aren't played an incredible amount by people on xbl.  Rhythm is played a bit more, but madden seems to be a buy and then put away shrortly after especially.
    Halo's actually rather unique when it comes to design and gameplay.  it plays differently and in single player it's much more, well, I guess dynamic?  Is that the word?  It lets you play how you want really, and not with cheap things like suit modes. 

But either way, you have to admit to the quality of the game.  Whether you like it or not, it's built extremely well and extremely well balanced. 

Calling Halo an average shooter is incredibly, well, wrong.  I dislike Metal Gear Solid, but I recognize that there's something special about it.

-- If you're into Metacritic, well, the lowest rating is a 70 (the only rating that isn't about an 80%) and it starts out with "Is it fair to judge a game based on its advertising? I believe so", in other words, the "i dislike it because it's cool to dislike it" mentality that you seem to have and also is just wrong on some occassions, specifically in story.   And every single source that we'd call reputable (meaning we heard of them and they're not the NYT)  gave it a 90 or above (granted, I'm not into ratings, but just giving another example)
    atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By atejas
    SmugDarkLoser said:

But either way, you have to admit to the quality of the game.  Whether you like it or not, it's built extremely well and extremely well balanced. 

I fully admit that. It's an excellently balanced game online.

But I'm not here to attack Halo, I'm personally hoping for a new Oni.
    SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

Oni!  Oni! Oni!
    Arghh... oni was good, but nothing in comparison to their other works.  I'd barely call it their work actually.  It really isn't, its a rockstar game essentially that they got hold of because of how rockstar was trying to f* bungie.

Not a bad game, but being one of the 3% of people who actually played more bugnie games than just Halo, it wasn't up to their quality.
    But even that quality I keep talking about was never at its peak until Halo, and with each game it's being more polished.

I just really wonder what a great studio like bungie with al its resources and apparent talent could make besides halo.
    Really want a non shooter, but still something that'll last more than a playthrough.

Going to lay down in bed and watch some tv. 
    smug out/

Fosssil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Fosssil

Just wanted to pop in and mention that I don't agree at all that Halo 3 is a balanced game (under default settings) for several reasons, and to echo the "new Oni" sentiment.

I'm with SDL, also, as I just can't fathom a game that Bungie could make (other than a remake/spiritual successor to a previous Bungie game) that isn't Halo -- however, that makes me even more excited for the possibilities.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm calling it.  Marathon remake. 

godemperor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By godemperor

i also hope its not another Halo, i want bungie to try something new, maybe a RPG or racing games, but probaly its gunna be a shooter.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By crunchUK

who knows? but i don't think we'll even know anything about them until 2010 at the very least. you can tell they're trying to make halo the "ultimate" xbox360 game that hundreds of thousands of people will be playing until the end of the 360's days... kinda like halo 2 was with the original xbox. so why would they detract attention from halo?

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By Red

I for one hope four things:

1. ODST has Call of Duty 4-esque gameplay, no shields and a way better RPG system that spreads across all campaigns like in Resistance 2.
    2. ODST has an awesome Multiplayer mode, like Horde in Gears of War 2.
    3. That the game is only first person, your character is never seen or speaks, it's all just through your perspective.
    4. Change the name to Halo: Keep it Clean

If ODST lacks these things....which it probably will then I think they should start a totally new IP that's as fresh as Halo 1 was.
    SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
    Red said:
    "I for one hope four things:
    1. ODST has Call of Duty 4-esque gameplay, no shields and a way better RPG system that spreads across all campaigns like in Resistance 2.
    2. ODST has an awesome Multiplayer mode, like Horde in Gears of War 2.
    3. That the game is only first person, your character is never seen or speaks, it's all just through your perspective.
    4. Change the name to Halo: Keep it Clean

If ODST lacks these things....which it probably will then I think they should start a totally new IP that's as fresh as Halo 1 was.
    "

Well sorry, but that's not how it's going to be.

ODST will stay ODST (most certainly)
    It will not have a multiplayer mode (save for the 4 player co-op)
    It will not have cod gameplay (why would you want this?  COD4's system is so friggen generic now).  Instead, it will be an open world (hopefully this works out in a better way than FarCry 2) with flashbacks you play of your fellow odsts.  It plays more like a linear halo level then, but the odst plays quite differently, but "it still feels like halo)

And your character has already spoken in Halo 3 (in tsavo highway, the radio transmission)
    Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By Discorsi
    SmugDarkLoser said:
    "atejas said:

lot's of people used to love sadam lolololo and hitler for that matter
    Biggles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Biggles
    SmugDarkLoser said:
    "atejas said:
    "SmugDarkLoser said:
    "atejas said:

It's terribly overrated, imho. I'm not calling it a bad game, but I'm not calling it a great game either. It's just a generic "Space marine shoots aliens because humanity" game."
    That's not the story at all, lol.   That's like saying FF7 is about a soldier who lost his past vs. evil man. 

No, he called it right. Leaving gameplay aside for now, there really isn't anything about Halo's story that was original - or even all that well executed.

(And yeah, that's basically FF7's story right there - but it was told with a lot of flair as far as video games in those days went, which is why we all loved it.)
    End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By End_Boss
    Fosssil said:
    "... I don't agree at all that Halo 3 is a balanced game (under default settings) for several reasons..."
    Interesting, because I thought it was most balanced under default settings when everyone is playing with the same control scheme. Anyway, by modifying the default settings, are you talking about look sensitivity? Inversion? What about Halo makes it unbalanced? As far as I know or have heard, that's a complaint that can't be made about the game.
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By crunchUK
    End_Boss said:
    "Fosssil said:
    "... I don't agree at all that Halo 3 is a balanced game (under default settings) for several reasons..."
    Interesting, because I thought it was most balanced under default settings when everyone is playing with the same control scheme. Anyway, by modifying the default settings, are you talking about look sensitivity? Inversion? What about Halo makes it unbalanced? As far as I know or have heard, that's a complaint that can't be made about the game."
    He means default map layouts/weapon starts

He's lying but since he's a general he's probably spent many a night cursing the shotgun/sniper/BR/AR/SMG/rockets/laser/everything.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.