Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BurgerTime

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Jan 01, 1982

Play as chef Peter Pepper, climbing ladders and running over burger ingredients to assemble giant burgers, whilst avoiding dastardly hot dogs, pickles and fried eggs trying to end our culinary adventures!

DurgerTime: the arcade misadventures of Brackynews - Log 1

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

Edited By Brackynews

I've received games as presents before. 
    I've never needed to provide my own truck, until last June... 
    A buddy of mine wrangled an arcade cabinet for his band's practice spot.  I hadn't seen it, he said it was a dumb shooter.  I gave him some reading materials of what to do to fix up old cabinets, but he's a mech engineer so he was on familiar turf.  Then about a year later he needs to vacate the spot, my birthday rolled around and I got a message saying would I like to have the cabinet by the end of the month? 

Chef Peter Pepper
    Chef Peter Pepper
    "That's pretty cool man! What's the cabinet design anyway?" 
    "It's BurgerTime." 
    <record scratch>   
     "I'm gonna have to throw some junk out" was my first thought. 

Now.. I'm a retro fiend.  I grew up in arcades, and I bitch about Game Room, and the sore lack of paddle controls in modern times. 
    The story of getting that thing down an old staircase and into my backyard isn't worth sharing.
    This is the story of what happens next.  We're going to find out the ending together.

I'm the proud owner of a thoroughly neglected, original Bally Midway BurgerTime cabinet, circa 1982, and 200 pounds of solid plywood.  It's been through at least one sad hack job of a conversion; inside is a freely dangling JAMMA 1 board of Dangerous Seed, a thoroughly unimpressive Namco shooter.  I'm one of 3 people on KLOV that admit to owning it. Anything that I do to this beast will be an improvement.  So I figure there are 2 options, and weighed the pros and cons:

1. Restore it to original state

+ Nobody is more authentic than Peter Pepper 

+ Someone will buy it for a high price, pay for my costs  
    + Interesting way to learn about cabinet wiring
     - Need to buy a BT game board 
     - Innards are a bloody mess  
     - Probably hard to find a local buyer to haul it away 
     - I have almost no storage space, and not much time to tinker 
     - Selling is sticky because it was a gift  

2. Convert the innards to a MAME cabinet

+ Always wanted one, can justify the space and time to keep it
    + Purging the crummy Namco game
    + Multigame cabinets have been around for a long time
    + Can sell monitor and board to pay for materials 
    + Will be lighter and stronger, better, harder, faster, etc.
    + Not an especially rare cabinet, can put my personal stamp on it without being lynched
    + Already have a bunch of spare computer equipment to use 
    + Eventually when I do have to get rid of it, someone else can easily convert back to JAMMA
    - Don't want it to look like a modded BurgerTime cabinet
    - It would look ridonkulous with two sticks and fourteen buttons  

So I think in my situation the MAME job wins out, while restoring the cabinet to something resembling its original glory.  The only games that would be suitable to play are those that use a maximum of one stick and two buttons.  I can still look myself in the mirror with that.  (And maybe I can sneak in an USBportforafightstickmaybekinda?) 

And away we go. 
    Thanks to MrJared for ideas. 

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Brackynews

A buddy of mine wrangled an arcade cabinet for his band's practice spot.  I hadn't seen it, he said it was a dumb shooter.  I gave him some reading materials of what to do to fix up old cabinets, but he's a mech engineer so he was on familiar turf.  Then about a year later he needs to vacate the spot, my birthday rolled around and I got a message saying would I like to have the cabinet by the end of the month? 

Chef Peter Pepper
    Chef Peter Pepper
    "It's BurgerTime." 
    <record scratch>   

Now.. I'm a retro fiend.  I grew up in arcades, and I bitch about Game Room, and the sore lack of paddle controls in modern times. 
    The story of getting that thing down an old staircase and into my backyard isn't worth sharing.
    This is the story of what happens next.  We're going to find out the ending together.

I'm the proud owner of a thoroughly neglected, original Bally Midway BurgerTime cabinet, circa 1982, and 200 pounds of solid plywood.  It's been through at least one sad hack job of a conversion; inside is a freely dangling JAMMA 1 board of Dangerous Seed, a thoroughly unimpressive Namco shooter.  I'm one of 3 people on KLOV that admit to owning it. Anything that I do to this beast will be an improvement.  So I figure there are 2 options, and weighed the pros and cons:

+ Not an especially rare cabinet, can put my personal stamp on it without being lynched
    + Eventually when I do have to get rid of it, someone else can easily convert back to JAMMA

So I think in my situation the MAME job wins out, while restoring the cabinet to something resembling its original glory.  The only games that would be suitable to play are those that use a maximum of one stick and two buttons.  I can still look myself in the mirror with that.  (And maybe I can sneak in an USBportforafightstickmaybekinda?) 

And away we go. 

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By JJWeatherman

That's awesome, good luck converting it. I wish I could buy a classic arcade machine. All the talk about them after the guys got back from California Extreme was tempting. 

Oh and Chef Peter Pepper reminded me of this, I don't know why: 

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Brackynews
    @JJWeatherman:  It bears repeating: Nobody is more authentic than Peter Pepper. 
    Go Pep-per! Go Pep-per!
    YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By YoThatLimp

@Brackynews said:

A buddy of mine wrangled an arcade cabinet for his band's practice spot. I hadn't seen it, he said it was a dumb shooter. I gave him some reading materials of what to do to fix up old cabinets, but he's a mech engineer so he was on familiar turf. Then about a year later he needs to vacate the spot, my birthday rolled around and I got a message saying would I like to have the cabinet by the end of the month?

Chef Peter Pepper
    Chef Peter Pepper
    "It's BurgerTime."
    <record scratch>

Now.. I'm a retro fiend. I grew up in arcades, and I bitch about Game Room, and the sore lack of paddle controls in modern times.
    This is the story of what happens next. We're going to find out the ending together.

I'm the proud owner of a thoroughly neglected, original Bally Midway BurgerTime cabinet, circa 1982, and 200 pounds of solid plywood. It's been through at least one sad hack job of a conversion; inside is a freely dangling JAMMA 1 board of Dangerous Seed, a thoroughly unimpressive Namco shooter. I'm one of 3 people on KLOV that admit to owning it. Anything that I do to this beast will be an improvement. So I figure there are 2 options, and weighed the pros and cons:

So I think in my situation the MAME job wins out, while restoring the cabinet to something resembling its original glory. The only games that would be suitable to play are those that use a maximum of one stick and two buttons. I can still look myself in the mirror with that. (And maybe I can sneak in an USBportforafightstickmaybekinda?)

And away we go.

Hey Man,

Any update on the project?

ares0926

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By ares0926

The Arcade version of Burger Time is the only good version. There have been a few older attemts to bring it to consoles (Atart/NES/etc) but they were never any good. There's even a really bad web/flash version out there too. Now XBLA is bringing out a new game to bear the BurgerTime name. Its not a remake or port of the original but rather an all new game that has only the name in common.

Make sure if you make it a MAME cabinet then you at least load BurgerTime on it. It is only fitting.

Will someone release a decent BurgerTime game, please!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.