Criterion Games Finally Confims Long Rumored Burnout CRASH!

• 85 results
Posted by patrickklepek (5581 posts) -

We've heard speculation about a downloadable game from Criterion Games called Burnout CRASH!, and at Electronic Arts' "Summer Showcase" event today in California, the game was confirmed.

Burnout CRASH! (that's the last time I'm going to capitalize the game that ridiculous way) is coming to both Xbox Live Arcade and PlayStation Network, and marks the return of the popular "crash" mode from the Burnout franchise, which was removed from Burnout Paradise.

This is not exactly what I was expecting from a reinvention of Burnout's "crash" mode.

This time, however, it's from a top-down perspective. The game features three game modes that aren't detailed in the press release, with 18 "crash junctions" spread across six locations, and also incorporates the popular leaderboard expanding Autolog feature from Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit.

The game's also going to feature--wait for it, you're gonna be excited!--Kinect support, wherein two teams utilize "gestural controls" to make the crashes happen. Sounds like a Happy Hour segment waiting to happen, no?

Burnout Crash! arrives sometime this fall.

Jeff, Brad and Drew are at the event, so look for more coverage on Burnout Crash! and other games at today's event soon.

#1 Posted by patrickklepek (5581 posts) -

We've heard speculation about a downloadable game from Criterion Games called Burnout CRASH!, and at Electronic Arts' "Summer Showcase" event today in California, the game was confirmed.

Burnout CRASH! (that's the last time I'm going to capitalize the game that ridiculous way) is coming to both Xbox Live Arcade and PlayStation Network, and marks the return of the popular "crash" mode from the Burnout franchise, which was removed from Burnout Paradise.

This is not exactly what I was expecting from a reinvention of Burnout's "crash" mode.

This time, however, it's from a top-down perspective. The game features three game modes that aren't detailed in the press release, with 18 "crash junctions" spread across six locations, and also incorporates the popular leaderboard expanding Autolog feature from Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit.

The game's also going to feature--wait for it, you're gonna be excited!--Kinect support, wherein two teams utilize "gestural controls" to make the crashes happen. Sounds like a Happy Hour segment waiting to happen, no?

Burnout Crash! arrives sometime this fall.

Jeff, Brad and Drew are at the event, so look for more coverage on Burnout Crash! and other games at today's event soon.

#2 Edited by ThePhantomnaut (6201 posts) -

Finally shit! Took them a while.

#3 Posted by Joey2683 (363 posts) -

I'm looking forward to that Happy Hour.

#4 Posted by HadesTimes (812 posts) -

I had forgotten this game even existed

#5 Posted by RE_Player1 (7563 posts) -

Top down Burnout game? I just got back into Paradise City and while Criterion has an amazing track record I'm a little worried. Hopefully it will turn out to be a fun little game.

#6 Posted by KarlHungus (125 posts) -

LOBSTER MONSTERS

#7 Posted by Jeffk38uk (716 posts) -

Man I hope this game doesn't have lobster monsters...

#8 Posted by Falconer (1695 posts) -

Bought.

Also, STOP SAYING CRASH MODE WAS TAKEN OUT OF PARADISE!!! Jesusfuck... it was renamed Showtime.

#9 Edited by louiedog (2335 posts) -

It's been a decade or more since I enjoyed a top down driving game. That Zombie Driver game on Steam looked alright, but I haven't tried it. If this is more about the crash mode from previous games than it is completing laps, I can get behind it.

#10 Posted by LameImpala (69 posts) -
I'm all for crash mode being a standalone XBLA title, but top-down view? That seems like an ill-advised choice to me.
#11 Posted by White_Silhouette (473 posts) -

Well it's coming out on xbla so there will be a demo. Will at least give that a try. Skeptical about it but it could be a lot of fun.

#12 Posted by RE_Player1 (7563 posts) -

That screenshot looks like shit...

#13 Posted by ICryCauseImEmo (522 posts) -

Some times I feel like the video game industry is. 10 years of progression, 5 years of rehashed crap, 10 years of progression etc.

#14 Posted by Silver-Streak (1369 posts) -

@ShaggyChu: Actually, while showtime was great, it wasn't Crash mode in any form besides you crashing into things. The original crash modes in prior games were more puzzle games then just score counters. There was basically a best path to follow to make sure you hit it right, the traffic patterns weren't randomized, etc.

I think the Penny Arcade guys called it something like car golf, which is semi accurate.

Showtime is great, but it's more of a randomized score attack mode, as there's no set paths/layouts of vehicles, etc.

#15 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -
@RE_Player92 said:

That screenshot looks like shit...

Yeah, maybe giant lobster monsters will make up for that.
#16 Posted by Eristocrat (440 posts) -

I need to hear more about the Lobster Monsters.

#17 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

I think this is a great idea for an arcade game. Not sure if it'll have the same affect without the better graphics and crash physics though.

#18 Posted by pickassoreborn (530 posts) -

Wasn't Crash Mode first introduced in Burnout 4? I know some people hated it, I quite liked the strategy angle going from one power up to another - the top-down view of this looks like it'll be easier to plan out combos and have a better idea of where things are. Could be fun!

The Kinect shoehorning though. Meh.

#19 Posted by ghostchant (125 posts) -

probably not for me

#20 Posted by RTSlord (1201 posts) -

lobstuh monstuh?

#21 Posted by Falconer (1695 posts) -

@Eujin: I'm well aware of the evolution of Crash mode.

#22 Posted by Portis (1288 posts) -

If Criterion is actually making this, then I have hope. But man, that screenshot does not look good.

#23 Posted by paisan13 (150 posts) -

HeyHey, good old GTA ^_^

#24 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

Let's hope they are also working on Burnout Paradise 2...

#25 Posted by whatisdelicious (1228 posts) -

Couldn't be more disinterested. Don't waste development time on stuff like this; put it toward making an ACTUAL new Burnout game.

#26 Posted by JohnDudebro (924 posts) -

Any confirmation on lobthta monthtas?

#27 Posted by Mentalnova (139 posts) -

Screen looks bad.

#28 Posted by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -

I was all "YES!" and then I saw the screenshot and felt disappoint. I just want the slice from Burnout Revenge! Let me blow up HD cars!

#29 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

Criterion : Watch as we rape our best franchise ever.

#30 Posted by Sammo21 (3370 posts) -

Could be fun...but I'm ready for a new Burnout game Proper...

#31 Posted by robbob88 (326 posts) -

What. The. Fuck. Is this some sort of a sick joke? I remember playing crash mode for the first time back on Burnout 2 and falling in love with it. Now I'm just gonna shit on it instead.
#32 Posted by Creamypies (4076 posts) -
#33 Posted by RedFive (144 posts) -

@KarlHungus said:

LOBSTER MONSTERS
#34 Posted by dungbootle (2458 posts) -
@RedFive said:

@KarlHungus said:

LOBSTER MONSTERS
#35 Posted by Bhatman (8 posts) -

How far the mighty have fallen :(

#36 Edited by Winsord (1249 posts) -
#37 Posted by Kingyo (49 posts) -
@dungbootle said:
@RedFive said:

@KarlHungus said:

LOBSTER MONSTERS
#38 Posted by blalala (122 posts) -

Hard to judge without seeing gameplay, but I still have faith in Criterion and I really hope this will be good. For the people hoping for another proper burnout, I think Criterion is working on next years NFS game, sorry...

#39 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2725 posts) -

Really not into the whole top-down thing.

#40 Posted by Hexogen (766 posts) -

This just makes me want to play Burnout Revenge (or 3) instead. I'll have to see more of the game before I write it off completely, but I'm not a big fan of the top-down perspective.

#41 Posted by natetodamax (19212 posts) -

lobthuh monthuh

#42 Edited by TOYBOXX (310 posts) -

Is this a joke? Selling what seems to be a Facebook game as a full fledged XBLA product? No. Give us something with better quality instead of this shovel-ware crap that belong on social networks. I understand that companies within this industry need to make money, but how far is too far to pursue greed? Is destroying beloved franchises really the best laid plan to make a profit? In the long run the answer is no. If there is anything that we can learn from the past, namely the great video game crash of the early 80's; having a track record of over priced, low quality, games is an abandonment of the consumer. And consumers will respond in kind. 

#43 Posted by MjHealy (1859 posts) -

Are lobster monsters a paid DLC add-on?

#44 Posted by Nokterian (61 posts) -

First  i was yeah! But now it's like hm no...

#45 Posted by AndrewW (144 posts) -

Normal '3D' crash mode = epic.

This top-down version looks terrible...

#46 Posted by OtakuGamer (1263 posts) -

Well that was disappointing...

#47 Posted by Phished0ne (2522 posts) -

ITT: typical internet bullshittery. 

C'MON GUYS EVERYONE PILE ON, WE GOT A SCREENSHOT! 

LOOKS LIKE SHIT! LOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOKLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL   

#48 Posted by Swaboo (451 posts) -
#49 Posted by Vigorousjammer (2512 posts) -

The best part of crash mode was all the extremely detailed crashes that you got to watch happen. Without the graphical fidelity, what does that leave us with? a crappy super-precise puzzle game.

Although, I dunno, Lobstuh Monstahs sound alright...

#50 Posted by DJJoeJoe (1326 posts) -

When they finally release a game that focuses on the crashes, like everyone wanted since the beginning, it will be amazing. Until then I am left here to wonder if they even know people want it so badly. I don't wanna race, I wanna crash god dang it...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.