Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released Nov 05, 2007

The fourth main Call of Duty game ditches the World War II setting of the past games to tell a story set in contemporary times, and backs it up with a breakthrough multiplayer mode.

Am I the only one who can't see what is so great about COD4?

• 55 results
    L4wz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By L4wz

I was wondering what makes COD4 so great, don't get me wrong I don't hate it but what exactly does it do to stand out from the other shooters?

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By CL60

I agree.

empfeix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By empfeix

I love the XP leveling system.  It's addictive and the perks add to it.  Add in the fact its a very solid shooter.  Also the single player is one of the best for FPS.  Have you played it?

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By eroticfishcake

The same could be said for a lot of things. Since this is the internet, I'm quite sure there is other people who agree with you.  Me being one of them.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ryanwho
    @L4wz said:
    " I was wondering what makes Halo 3 so great, don't get me wrong I don't hate it but what exactly does it do to stand out from the other shooters? "
    Idunno man, its a mystery.
    zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By zombie2011

I don't like the game either, but i understand why so many people love it.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By mikemcn

What really makes Halo great? Or unreal Tournament? Or Quake? Or Half Life? Or Left 4 Dead? Or Battlefield?    These are all relatively stupid questions.

Don't overanalyze things, people like to shoot dudes, COD4 does killing things very well. How hard is that to understand? There also aren't alot of shooters in real world settings like that.
    L4wz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By L4wz
    @empfeix:
    Yeah, and the single player is uber short and whenever I go online like 80-90% of the time when I get a kill I get blown up by the cheap-ass Martyrdom.
    Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Andorski

It's an arcade shooter in a military setting.  That is what I enjoy about it.

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#10  Edited By bed
    @Mikemcn said:
    " What really makes Halo great? Or unreal Tournament? Or Quake? Or Half Life? Or Left 4 Dead?  These are all relatively stupid questions. Don't overanalyze things, people like to shoot dudes, COD4 does killing things very well. How hard is that to understand? There also aren't alot of shooters in real world settings like that. "
    this
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mikemcn
    @L4wz said:
    "@empfeix: Yeah, and the single player is uber short and whenever I go online like 80-90% of the time when I get a kill I get blown up by the cheap-ass Martyrdom. "
    Please don't be a marty hater, its not that hard to get used to. Just don't stop dead in your tracks after killing someone, run past them.
    Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
    OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan

I'm a fan of the speed of the game, and there wasn't anything inherently wrong with the multi-player.
    Keep getting killed by "cheap-ass Martyrdom"? Don't run over dead bodies.

L4wz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By L4wz
    @ryanwho:
    Forge
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MrKlorox

Ironic post. Both Halo and COD are bandwagon series.

Novyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Novyx

It just does what it does very well, and keeps the singleplayer short and sweet so you can dive right into the very polished multiplayer. It's simple and elegant, with enough flourishes and realistic touches to make it feel immersive and visceral, which is what I know I want out of that sort of shooter. I even am starting to like the console controls better than the PC version, and I have a goddamn 7-button, 2000 dpi gaming mouse. I like my PC shooters, but CoD4 feels right on a console, even if you can't headshot as well. Maybe because of that, actually. The console multi is a cakewalk compared to the PC.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#16  Edited By RHCPfan24

I really like Call of Duty 4 though I do find it slightly overrated. Not just overrated but the fact that many people I know only play that game and nothing else. A little variety maybe?

That being said, COD4 is an incredibly well-made and polished game that has a really jaw-dropping albeit short campaign and addictive and long-lasting multiplayer. It just a very excellent game in design.

Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Adamantium

Well if no one else is going to overanalyze it, I guess I will! 

Overall - Great graphics, realistic weaponry, modern setting, a nice level of lethality (when played on the harder difficulties).
    Single Player - Good, plausible storyline (not overly fantastic); great setpiece battles; a nice feeling of being outgunned and outnumbered, yet still possessing the skills of an elite team with the ability to overcome the odds; not too many toys, just solid realistic weaponry that still requires you to shoot the enemies' faces faster than they can shoot yours. The feeling of being an elite soldier in an elite unit, but still a human who has to triumph through teamwork and skill, and sometimes that still might not save you from impending nuclear attacks or one-armed bad guys.
    Multiplayer - Persistent leveling with Prestige for bragging rights. Perks, attachments, and weapon unlocks that still don't compromise the balance of the game. Lots of MP maps to play on, each presenting players with various strategies for success; and the same great graphics you'll find in the campaign running at an awesome framerate.

Granted, many of these are subjective and dependent on a player's opinions and feelings. Some people like playing as steriod-freaks, genetically engineered badasses, or unlikely heroes performing outlandishly well against highly-trained soldiers and operatives. Some people like fighting aliens, mutants, zombies, and Nazis (or even Nazi zombies!!). Some people enjoy using weapons and technology that don't exist, or only using things that existed half a century ago. Lots of people don't like video games where the laws of physics are standard as we know them. But if you enjoy shooters in general, and especially if you enjoy gritty realism in your FPSs, then CoD4 has more to offer than pretty much any game on the market. The popularity of it, and the amount of hype and exceitement for MW2, seem to suggest that many, many players still like some realism in their shooters, and CoD4 delivers that in spades.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#18  Edited By GunstarRed

Its very fast, frantic and arcadey... its all about the speed not just of the game but getting into a game, respawning...all of that. The pace is relentless yet still completely accessible... I think thats why so many people love it.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#19  Edited By natetodamax

Great leveling system, fast paced gameplay, constant things to unlock. An all around fun game

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Afroman269
    @ryanwho said:
    " @L4wz said:
    " I was wondering what makes Halo 3 so great, don't get me wrong I don't hate it but what exactly does it do to stand out from the other shooters? "
    Idunno man, its a mystery. "
    It all started with combat evolved. It was good for its time and did some great things with making console shooters viable. I think the fanbase got so big with this game that each sequel got overinflated hype. I don't hate the game but there are many other shooters that are more fun than Halo 3 now.
    Avatar image for thefrostedgamer
    TheFrostedGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TheFrostedGamer
    No Caption Provided
    lemon360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By lemon360

cod4 has the whole perk thing, but the game has a lot of flaws. Mw2 will build on cod4's foundation and go the extra mile with a more rewarding exp system and KillStreaks being the 'big thing' this time around. Why talk about cod4 like that 2 years after its release? Back in 07 the game simply seemed much better.
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By JoelTGM

because it's got a solid game engine, and COD4 had all that progression and load out customization going on that kept a lot of people hooked.  IW knows shooters.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MrKlorox

Time passes, naturally causing Halo players to grow into COD players. Younger "Halo age" folks tend not to have the resources to buy games and consoles for themselves, making that demographic naturally smaller. 

Now that COD has become so prolific, it's waiting for a 'new' series to take its place while the COD crowd gets younger and younger. But that won't execute until the MW3 era at earliest.

CharlieTuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CharlieTuna

Red dot sight, LT/L1 to aim feels perfect, the nice visual indication that you hit somebody, utterly badass single player story, fantastic multiplayer, great visuals (the animation in particular) and overall an amazingly polished game. The problems it has like the respawning enemies are minor and often not hard to ignore.

It honestly made me look at shooters differently, stuff like Halo to me now just feels dated. It is by far the most prolific and influential shooter this generation.

stealthman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By stealthman

this is a stupid question.

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Sticky_Pennies
    @empfeix said:

" I love the XP leveling system."

@Adamantium said:

"Persistent leveling"

@natetodamax said:

" Great leveling system"

I'm seeing a trend. I agree with it.
    meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By meteora

Pretty much what most people say here. Sweet but short single player, a fantastic fast-pace-arcadey multiplayer, a spice of realism that's not frustrating for the mainstream, the ability to shoot through literally -anything- (this doesn't get mentioned a lot), photorealistic graphics running at 60 fps, accessible gameplay for most demographics, customization and perks, killstreaks and a persistent leveling system.

It was amazing when it came out, but like most games they tend to lose their charm afterwards. For me Call of Duty 4 is one of the best FPS I've played, I liked it a lot more than Halo 3 for my own personal reasons.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#29  Edited By breadfan

You can like shoot dudes and then you get like experience points and then you get like super awesome weapons and stuff.

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By Whisperkill

Not the only, but one of a few. That game is just top quality all around

lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By lucas_kelly

The campaign was fast paced and explosive. That's what I loved about it.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By HitmanAgent47

It's a modern call of duty game made by infinity ward. If you disagree, it still scored very high on gamerankings. It also has good graphics and good multiplayer, that's why it's so good. Then again I can say the same thing about halo games, I think nothing stands out.

gamerankings

X360 Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
    Infinity Ward/Activision, 2007
    94.17%
    Potter9156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Potter9156

I like shooting dudes in the face, COD4 does shooting dudes in the face quite well. Though, the single player is complete shit.

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the EXP, perks system and whatnot but the shooting itself isn't anything special

TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TheGremp

It's an okay game to me...  It's probably the best war game I've seen in a while.  But war games are just boring for me in general.

L4wz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By L4wz

One of the things that Call of Duty has over Halo is the fact that its for the Xbox 360, PS3 and PC so pretty much everyone can be excited for it and enjoy it as for Halo only people who own a 360 can enjoy it.
    Novyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Novyx
    @L4wz:
    Or that it feels somewhat approaching realistic? It has a lot of things over Halo, but that's because Halo is arcadey, with vehicles a plenty and ridiculous physics, which many people prefer.
    LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By LiquidSwords
    @L4wz said:
    "One of the things that Call of Duty has over Halo is the fact that its for the Xbox 360, PS3 and PC so pretty much everyone can be excited for it and enjoy it as for Halo only people who own a 360 can enjoy it. "

I can't wait for Halo to go to other system in the future and the fanboys act like this guy.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never did see whats so great about this game, it's "Ok" but it's nothing amazing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cod 4 is great not because it is unique, it just does everything right. The only problem with it is lag online.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cod 4 is great not because it is unique, it just does everything right. The only problem with it is lag online.

Bald3rdash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Bald3rdash

Regarding the single player, how often do you actually care about NPC squadmates in a game?  I was actually a bit sad when Gaz died!

Avatar image for supersecretagenda
    SuperSecretAgenda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kindof liked CoD4 until I saw my little brother play.

Dear lord. Every time he died he would pray that his martyrdom hit someone. And when it did, it was a celebration.

Ekasra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Ekasra

I'm not a huge fan of the single player in COD4, or any COD other than the first one for that matter. It just doesn't hold my interest. However, the fast pace style of the multiplayer has kept me playing for almost two years now. COD4 gives me an incentive to keep playing with the level system, something that most FPSs (I'm looking at you Halo), doesn't.

Lowbrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Lowbrow
    @L4wz said:

" @empfeix: Yeah, and the single player is uber short and whenever I go online like 80-90% of the time when I get a kill I get blown up by the cheap-ass Martyrdom. "

l3rn2play? 
    ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#46  Edited By ImperiousRix

YES.

No, but seriously, my brother couldn't really get into it.  As far as the campaign, if you're not into the whole modern warfare thing, it can take a couple missions to really get into it, but I found it to be fantastic.  The multiplayer is REALLY where the game shines, as it offered something wholly unique utilizing the outstandingly solid gameplay of Call of Duty.

COD4 is as solid a game you'll ever hope to play, and its innovations alongside its familiar mechanics just really resonates with gamers.

DeadMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By DeadMan
    @L4wz: 
    Dont forget about the rewind theater.
    turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By turbomonkey138

FLAME BAIT THREAD ALERT !!!!!

Ubiquitous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Ubiquitous

People like it cause it's a pretty good game, but you're right in saying that there is not much that sets it apart from other shooters really. But the same can be said for most shooters.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#50  Edited By Red

The single-player campaign has some of the most intense moments in games, along with the progression in multiplayer. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.