Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released Nov 05, 2007

The fourth main Call of Duty game ditches the World War II setting of the past games to tell a story set in contemporary times, and backs it up with a breakthrough multiplayer mode.

Fox News... Proving Its Flaws In Their Modern Warfare 2 Coverage

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lkpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By lkpower

There is no doubt that everyone saw this coming way before Modern Warfare 2 was even released. It only took two days before Fox News to to attack Modern Warfare 2.

On Wednesday, November 11th fox news released this news report that literally says says that after playing this game an eight year old WILL become a terrorist.

It is no surprise that Fox did not do their research. We have seen this in the past with the Mass Effect "SeXbox" scandal. I'm not so much enraged at the fact that they are attacking modern Warfare 2 because as a news outlet, they have that right. The important thing to realize that Fox news will refuse to do any kind of qualitative research whatsoever when it comes to video games. Fox News would claim that they are a news organization that upholds the highest standard of journalistic integrity but the reality is that they have no journalistic integrity when it comes to the subject of video games. They will pass judgment on  something that they, themselves will never personally interact with, other than trying to insinuate that everyone who plays the game will become a terrorist. What is my point in all of this? We should laugh at the ignorance of fox News, not take it as an attack on the gaming community. They simply do not know any better.

I'm going to pose one final question? Is Modern warfare 2 anymore graphic than the dozens of murder stories that fox news airs every day?

What is your emotional reaction to the game?
     Feel free to comment
    lkpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By lkpower

There is no doubt that everyone saw this coming way before Modern Warfare 2 was even released. It only took two days before Fox News to to attack Modern Warfare 2.

On Wednesday, November 11th fox news released this news report that literally says says that after playing this game an eight year old WILL become a terrorist.

It is no surprise that Fox did not do their research. We have seen this in the past with the Mass Effect "SeXbox" scandal. I'm not so much enraged at the fact that they are attacking modern Warfare 2 because as a news outlet, they have that right. The important thing to realize that Fox news will refuse to do any kind of qualitative research whatsoever when it comes to video games. Fox News would claim that they are a news organization that upholds the highest standard of journalistic integrity but the reality is that they have no journalistic integrity when it comes to the subject of video games. They will pass judgment on  something that they, themselves will never personally interact with, other than trying to insinuate that everyone who plays the game will become a terrorist. What is my point in all of this? We should laugh at the ignorance of fox News, not take it as an attack on the gaming community. They simply do not know any better.

I'm going to pose one final question? Is Modern warfare 2 anymore graphic than the dozens of murder stories that fox news airs every day?

What is your emotional reaction to the game?
     Feel free to comment
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Well I'm not going to play the game any time soon but I can say that Fox news are the joke of news networks and are comedy centrals other half, I would only watch that shit if Bill O'Reilly came on and I needed to laugh.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Jeust

They clearly haven't played GTA4 lol 

So to them MW2 is a quick and intensive course to terrorism. 

Will Bin Laden buy many copies of it? I wonder... 

Ahahaha  they are even questioning violence in videogames, like it isn't in every media, from movies, to books, to games, and even on the news. 

It's a sensationalist show... in America. 

Just that...

HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By HypoXenophobia
    @LKPOWER said:
    Is Modern warfare 2 anymore graphic than the dozens of murder stories that fox news airs every day?   

Has someone recently shot down a UAV?
    guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By guiseppe

I wonder if Super Mario Bros made kids jump angrily on mushrooms.

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#6  Edited By bed

well, better get started on that terrorist training then.  
    clearly you can see the dude from /gamer getting irritated from this. 

The_Ish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By The_Ish

The guy from common sense media is either bullshitting or he doesn't know what a "correlation" means. 

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Kohe321

I press play, and hilarity ensues.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#9  Edited By Geno

Why are adults so out of touch with technology?  

Although I have to admit the person from slashgamer didn't really represent his case very well. 

TheGodPoet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheGodPoet

You can see the guy getting pissed from their ignorance. Anyway I don't see how the other guy said you become a terrorist repeatedly when the guy from /gamer clearly said your going undercover.

Honestly if it was me, first I would of said have either of you played the game fully or at all? If their answer was no I would say they were full of shit and were stupid fucks.

lemon360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By lemon360

What FOOLS
    ezekielzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By ezekielzero

it has to admitted that the guy from /gamer could have made a much easier case by either 1. pointing out that the section is skippable, or 2. theres no correlation between shooting a real gun and using a controller

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By penguindust

Here's the problem that FOX had with this particular news piece.  The guest they chose to be "outraged!" was actually well spoken and open minded on the subject.  I think he was much better than the guy they invited to defend the game.  Look, it's not a game rated for kids.  The final word is let the parent decide whether or not the game is appropriate for their child.  FOX wanted rightous indignation and you could see that in some of the host's questions, but they didn't get it.  Whether or not video games increase the likelihood of violent action in people is a completely different subject.  That wasn't the topic.  The story was meant to focus on playing as a terrorist (but not really) in the midst of a "war on terror".  

My favorite line from the host:  "You bring a game [like this] into your house, nothing to stop an 8 year old kid from becoming a terrorist."

Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Brunchies

Half a million of those copies were for Bin laden's 8 year old terrorist training camps!!!!  (Sarcasm)

Oh Fox News, your serious all the time but your still a comedy network. Honestly though, it would have been 10 times better if Geoff Keighly or Jeff  were defending the game instead of that guy from slashgamer. I bet though that neither of them would want to deal with the network.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By pause422

I have never even heard of slashgamer in my life before this..so yeah. The guy defending the game did terrible in all honesty. I dislike Geoff Keighley greatly by the way, he annoys the hell out of me. However, he actually did a good job defending Mass Effect when these morons had that on their show. Regardless, its just their side comedy routine, whether they mean for it to be or not.

The_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By The_Dude

There is nothing stopping your 8 year old from picking up a gun and becoming a terrorist...NOTHING!

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#17  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Ahhh, Fox News is always good for a laugh or two.  Sticking in a random game blogger to defend the game, rather than a professional journalist, steamrolling the one of the interviewees, and never bothering to keep an open mind during any sort of debate - that's what passes for news these days.  Gotta love it. 
    jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jkz

Damn, this is the first time I think I'll ever say this, but I kind of wish Sessler had made it. He seems much more capable of putting together a coherent argument than is the person they got to play the "videogamer's" side.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By Hamz

Already a topic in existence that discusses this subject, you can find it here, and I'll ask everyone continue the discussion in that topic please :)

Locked.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.