Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released Nov 05, 2007

The fourth main Call of Duty game ditches the World War II setting of the past games to tell a story set in contemporary times, and backs it up with a breakthrough multiplayer mode.

Revisiting a classic/Anyone out there?

DjDonFrancisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By DjDonFrancisco

I hopped online last night to see what the community is like 5 years later and it's still kicking. And you know what else? It's still as fun as it ever was. I kinda hated all of the clutter of MW2. Playing Modern Warfare again took me back to simpler times, where the only thing that set you apart from the next man were your perk selections. The three matches that I played have given me the itch. An itch that must be scratched every night. Back in 2007, I was never into prestiging but I feel almost like doing so would be a sort of New Game plus at this point. It's the perfect incentive to jump back into the fray.

Anyone out there that still plays this? If not on a regular basis, then at least every once in a while. A lot has changed for me in 5 years. No longer can I sit in my room and "shoot that guy" all night long. Now I've got a fiance and a son to tend too. But when they are all tucked in and fast asleep. I think i'll be spending my time firing off the old AK-47.

At least until Skyrim gets patched. :-/

haffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By haffy

I play it on the PC every now and again. Best Cod in my opinion.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Bollard

@haffy said:

Is it still popular on the PC? Xbox version HCSnD is dead, and that's all I play but thinking of buying the PC version if I can get some hardcore games in.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By NTM

Are you considering Call of Duty 4 a classic? Ha ha.

Edit - In the title, it should have said "Visiting a modern classic." Then I probably wouldn't have laughed at such a thing.

Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Clinkz

@NTM said:

Its not one of my favorite games, but if you had any perception at all you could have realized the impact it had on the first person shooter.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@NTM said:

It's probably the most influential game of the generation and it made Call of Duty into a household name. As much as they've bastardized the series since CoD4, that game is still a definite modern classic.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By NTM

@Clinkz: No, it's just that I wouldn't yet consider anything this gen a classic. Even years down the line, I'm sure I personally won't be able to call it a classic. Or, it'll be hard to. When I think "oh, that's a classic" Call of Duty 4 is not a game that comes to mind. Now if you said the original Call of Duty, then sure. I don't know, whatever impact it had, like the way it influenced other developers to use the same controls, or how good the multiplayer was, it just doesn't make me think classic.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By NTM

@MariachiMacabre: Hm... I guess. Also, I liked the other two Modern Warfare's more than the first, but that's besides the point. When you say modern classic, I guess I agree. I still don't see myself saying years ahead "Oh yeah, Call of Duty 4, that's definitely a classic!" but that may just be because I didn't really care for it. I'm unenthusiastic about it being named a classic. I also don't necessarily think influence has much to do with it for me in this case, 'cause I'd much rather call Bioshock a classic than MW. You're right though.

katanalauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By katanalauncher

Yes, tons of players on PC and 360.

PC COD 4 with Hardcore mod make the game so much better.

haffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By haffy

@Chavtheworld said:

@haffy said:

Is it still popular on the PC? Xbox version HCSnD is dead, and that's all I play but thinking of buying the PC version if I can get some hardcore games in.

Hc's still really popular on the PC, but I don't play play SnD, so not sure about that.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By Bollard

@haffy: Cheers, it's a shame it's still like £20 on Steam. That's insane.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.