Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Nov 03, 2014

The eleventh installment of the Call of Duty franchise (and the first spearheaded by Sledgehammer Games) brings modern military thirty years into the future, as new technology (including powered exoskeleton frames and cloaking devices) makes a certain Private Military Corporation the dominant military force of the world.

Pre-Purchase on Steam now! Really? Already...?

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I couldn't believe when I saw this was available to pre-purchase on Steam, 6 months before its out!? Early Access is one thing but this just completely takes the cake. Is this the longest a game has ever been available for pre-purchase or have a missed some other notable examples?

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Jesus_Phish

@pinner458: You can go to gamestop and pre-purchase any game that's been announced pretty much, including ones with no release date.

Example: I can currently pre-purchase a copy of MGSV, Cyberpunk 2077, The Order 1886, Halo 5 etc etc.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#3  Edited By sammo21

How is this any different than going to a store and preordering a game? I mean...are you really that outraged by this? Seems a bit much. I know certain game retailers have had games up for pre-order at least a year before the title's release...

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

You could pre-order Duke Nukem Forever in 1997.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jesus_phish: @sammo21: I just feel its a very different situation when its a digital download. And I'm not outraged at all man, I don't think I come off as being particularly annoyed, just a bit perplexed...

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@sammo21 said:

How is this any different than going to a store and preordering a game? I mean...are you really that outraged by this? Seems a bit much. I know certain game retailers have had games up for pre-order at least a year before the title's release...

Tbf Steam usually takes your money if you pre-purchase something (hence pre-purchase and not pre-order I guess) so I understand why people think it's a tad ridiculous.

Also it's always the same every year, as soon as they announce the new CoD you can instantly pre-purchase it.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jesus_Phish

@pinner458: I don't really see how though?

@alexw00d: You can give gamestop full payment of a pre-order and they'll accept it.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexw00d: When I preorder games at Gamestop I pay for them in full...

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By falserelic

@gaff said:

LOL!

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember having Twilight Princess preordered at...Game Crazy? That was like 2 years before the game came out (as they never had a locked down release date at the time). I think I paid like $10 but I never got my money back or my copy of the game from that store.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@sammo21 said:

Oh ok. The only time I pre-ordered here they just took my name and I paid when I went to collect the game.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By sammo21

@alexw00d: its an option, honestly. I know that most people only shell out the minimum (typically $5). I only ever get games from Gamestop when I want it on a midnight release. Normally I will get a game from Amazon and have it delivered same day so it shows up about an hour before I come home from work.

TehPickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's ever so slightly irksome that the pre-order on Steam is a 'Featured Item,' I hope it doesn't end up hanging around for the next 6 months. I'd rather see more relevant content up there.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Corevi

You should be able to preorder games on Steam as soon as they are announced, and atleast they don't have a digital deluxe edition or the dlc already up to preorder. Watch Dogs has been up for preorder for a while because it was originally supposed to be a PS4 launch title.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@pinner458: it's nothing extraordinary - plenty of games let you pre-order on Steam quite early.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@alexw00d said:

@sammo21 said:

Oh ok. The only time I pre-ordered here they just took my name and I paid when I went to collect the game.

In America they take the full amount, because... well no good reason really.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bollard: huh? What do you mean? All the places who take pre-orders that I've ever been to only ask for $5...

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18  Edited By veektarius

It makes sense to list it now because the trailer is fresh on people's minds. It's not as if there's a substantial risk of the project folding at this point.

It would be nice if pre-orders on Steam let you back out, so you could get the bonuses at lesser risk.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Surprise! Companies want your money ASAP!

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This isn't anything different than any other Call of Duty. Why else do you think their pre-order numbers reach astronomical levels?

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sammo21 said:

@bollard: huh? What do you mean? All the places who take pre-orders that I've ever been to only ask for $5...

Oh I thought Gamestop always took the full amount? Maybe it's just certain parts of the US then, it's a big place. But still, if you walked into GAME in the UK and they asked you to pay £5 for a preorder, people would go somewhere else.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By sammo21

@bollard: Nah, no Gamestop in the US requires full price for a game pre-order unless you are pre-ordering the game online. Pre-orders for standard editions of games are $5, special editions vary with price from $10-25, and console pre-orders have been around $50.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Bollard

@sammo21 said:

@bollard: Nah, no Gamestop in the US requires full price for a game pre-order unless you are pre-ordering the game online. Pre-orders for standard editions of games are $5, special editions vary with price from $10-25, and console pre-orders have been around $50.

I think even here they make you put down like £20 on a console preorder to be fair.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In Canada (EB Games) it's $5 on any game (collectors or not) and $50 for hardware pre-orders.

Amazon will take preorders at no charge, but you do have to give them a valid credit card number.

Digital pre-orders are the worst, since quantity isn't limited anyway, and you pay in full up front. Only time I do it is if theres a discounted price, or the bonus is really enticing. Even then i'll just wait until pre-load would begin to do it.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MikkaQ

Digital preorders don't make much sense to me, there is infinite stock and they want you to pay up front in full. I'd rather not give game companies a 6 month interest free loan for nothing in return.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f
    deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The second a game is announced, even if it doesn't have a box shot or concept art; Ebgames will be there to take a pre-order of it. Steam is either using that method now for advertising games OR the business men backing the COD franchise figured out how to make money before a game ships. The later seems the most likely.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By joshwent

More like Call of Duty: Advanced PAYMENT!

right?

@gaff said:

LOL!

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.