Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Nov 03, 2014

The eleventh installment of the Call of Duty franchise (and the first spearheaded by Sledgehammer Games) brings modern military thirty years into the future, as new technology (including powered exoskeleton frames and cloaking devices) makes a certain Private Military Corporation the dominant military force of the world.

Uh, I think I liked Ghosts better.. .

Mustainium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I know this is crazy talk around here, but Ill certainly stand by it

* Weapons

AWs arsenal is quite underwhelming. You've only got five ARs, and only one of them is worth a damn. The SMGs are useless, considering how ARs top them in every aspect. LMGs? Forget about it.

Perhaps I'm remembering incorrectly, but Ghosts had a lot more variety in its weapons. Though I will say, that laser gun is pretty neat.

* Maps

Yes, I'm aware Ghosts certainly doesn't have the best maps of the series, partly due to their size, but I feel like they at least had, for a lack of a better term, "character" to them, something to separate them from the rest of the series.

AWs maps just feel bland. There's nothing bad about them, they're just entire forgettable. They really do feel like they were made by a new team, and not in a good way.

* Hit-detection

As of now, Ghosts wins this hands down.

*Customization

Most probably don't care for this, but Ghosts had way more options for soldier customization.

And of course, there's the absolutely abysmal Exo-Survival mode, which is perhaps the laziest horde mode I've ever played.

Ghosts had its problems, that's for sure, but I still plugged in 48 hours or so into it, which is a lot for me.

For AW, I hit level 50, and I just don't care enough to go on any longer.

Don't get me wrong, AW is still an okay game, mostly due to the Exos but I feel like besides that, there's not much to it

Am I alone in my madness?

(totally not cross-posting from GFaqs)

Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
    deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I disagree with everything you stated, especially

* Hit-detection

As of now, Ghosts wins this hands down.

AW at it's worst is still nowhere near how bad Ghosts was for the first couple months.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By mrfluke

more power to you homie, your the 1st person ive heard to ever say that.

never played ghosts after the poison that was attached to it, but i thought Advanced Warfare's campaign was excellent and one of my top 3 games of this year.

not really a multiplayer guy for this series so i cant speak to that.

Mustainium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theveteran13:

I remember the main problem was the spawns, which were pretty bad, though AW suffers the same issue.

Hit detection I don't really remember being a big issue

@mrfluke:

As far as campaign goes, AW is definitely superior

overnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I think AW is a pretty solid game. Substantially better than Ghosts, which was a bottom 2 cod game for me (it and MW3 are my 2 least favourite), but nowhere near as good as Black Ops 2, which is my personal favourite.

As of right now my number one issue is lack of weapon variety. I also hate the system hack, it's probably my second least favourite thing about the game but requires a little more explaining. It's basically a more infuriating counter EMP from previous games. It is way more visually disruptive, all your HUD shit goes red and shakes which is super distracting, then there's that dumbass "HACKED" picture. The Warbird, Goliath, and Paladin are all way easier to deal with and they are the top 3 streaks, sure I may die once or twice, but then I've blown them up and they're gone. I think what has been making it so damn frustrating for me is that recently I've been running into teams where all 6 of them appear to be running system hack and they go one after another. It's basically more effective against players than the EMP from previous games but only requires 600 points vs 1300 in Black Ops 2, 18 "points" in MW3, or 15 kills in MW2.

Vastaux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Vastaux

It always amazes me how people seemingly think that only the Bal is the only weapon worth a damn in AW and apparently SMG's are ALL useless? Maybe people are just not as good as they think? My weapon with the most kills is the SN6 SMG, 2nd is KF5 SMG, 3rd is The ARX-160 AR, 4th HBRa3 AR. Bal is non-existant and i'm usually top 3 atleast in matches. I havent played a cod since MW2 so maybe it's easier for someone whos been out of the loop for a few years to get used to AW but i see people complaining " Waaaah AW is crap because i cant get over a 1.5 K/D". I'm loving the game!

Nilazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Nilazz

They only thing that makes me hate ( yes hate ) AW is the netcode, I can't play it. I played Ghosts for about 250+ hours and I've only played AW for about 20, I just can't get a single kill thanks to the bad netcode.

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'm going to have to disagree with pretty much everything you've said.

I never liked how in CoD there were a ton of useless weapons with no variations. Every weapon in AW in each category has something different or unique about it. Each weapon seems like it can be used depending on your play style and whether or not you have the upgraded named variant.

The maps are probably some of the most varied maps since Black Ops 2. Literally with volcanoes and tsunamis. Even though there's the typical urban environments, they at least have different color palettes and have a consistent theme for each map.

Customization in Ghosts in my opinion seemed like a pretty lazy attempt. Nothing really changed that much and most of the unlocks were so difficult to get at the time that I didn't really care about getting them. I think AW benefits more from the customization because it's a fictional future world with outrageous tech and that's implemented in a lot of the gear you unlock. The Blacklight esque helmets are pretty rad.

I dont know I just feel like AW for me is hitting all the right spots. I had a pretty infuriating time with Ghosts on PC so maybe that reflects my opinion on it more than it should. AW just feels like the perfect console fps right now for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

They say everyone has a different opinion about everything.

You're the first person I've heard say this, guess the theory is true.

But you aren't wrong because it's your opinion.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

I feel like I'm in a minority as I found the online to be kind of bad: poor P2P netcode, maps that didn't truly take advantage of what mobility you're given, and poor killstreak implementation left me wondering why I wasn't just playing Battlefield 4 (different style shooter but I find it more enjoyable, even from a TDM perspective). I really liked the story but because my glitched out and didn't save my progress I lost everything I did. I don't think Ghosts single player was better but the online is at least just as good.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

The only thing about Ghost I liked was that ist was easier to keep track of what to use that you wanted to rank up to get the loot you wanted. It was super easy to see a bit of clothing or a face you wanted and to see what Perk you have to score with to get it.

I was able to systematically set up characters to earn what I wanted. AW is harder to figure out how to get cool loot....but at least it drops faster.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Not a big fan of this game's multiplayer. Definitely prefer a simpler Call of Duty experience without the jumpjets and clambering. I know there's a "classic" playlist that offers those narrowed amenities, but then it comes down to maps--and I find myself frustrated with how ubiquitously labyrinthine they are in Advanced Warfare. It feels like spawns flip too often and like I can't maintain awareness of all my sides. No matter where I'm at, I'm in the open. And that just gets tiresome, feeling that always in the playing of the thing.

But the campaign seems rather good.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ghosts was terrible and Advanced Warfare was terrible. I really have to stop buying these games.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By notnert427

@historyinrust said:

Not a big fan of this game's multiplayer. Definitely prefer a simpler Call of Duty experience without the jumpjets and clambering. I know there's a "classic" playlist that offers those narrowed amenities, but then it comes down to maps--and I find myself frustrated with how ubiquitously labyrinthine they are in Advanced Warfare. It feels like spawns flip too often and like I can't maintain awareness of all my sides. No matter where I'm at, I'm in the open. And that just gets tiresome, feeling that always in the playing of the thing.

But the campaign seems rather good.

I'm with you. I'm just not a fan of all the verticality. It's really dumb to shoot some guy out of the air and immediately get shot in the face by some guy directly ahead of you who isn't even in your field of view while you're staring up at the sky because JETPACKS! The novelty of using all the exo powers/moves wore off for me after about five minutes, and I found myself missing good ol' no-frills FPS shooting. I'm glad they changed up the formula for those who were sick of the old style, but I'm hoping for at least one of the next two iterations to go back to the more realistic MW style. I'm over the future super-soldier thing. It's reached a ridiculous point where it's basically Iron Man vs. Iron Man. Obviously that appeals to some, or maybe even most, given how well AW seems to generally be received, but it's not for me. I don't want kills being decided on by how I or someone else jetpacked. And those fucking shields...ugh. Are those fun for anyone? Oh, and the spawns are as bad, if not worse than Ghosts.

While we're talking Ghosts, let's address the issues that game had. Ditch the speed perks so everyone isn't zooming around the map with an SMG. Reduce or eliminate auto-aim on sniper rifles to stop the quickscoping bullshit. Make hip-firing as wildly inaccurate and impractical as it should be. Create a camper-free game mode where if you sit in the same area for more than 20 seconds, you show up permanently on everyone's radar, or maybe Oracle-style, or better yet, just have the game kill you for being a little bitch if you're going to lay down aiming at one spot with mines all around you and all the radar-blocking perks. Basically, stop rewarding cheap-ass bullshit that takes zero skill. Also, neuter the killstreaks a bit. I'm all for giving good players their due, but Oracles are pretty much an auto-W for the team with one every time, and on some maps, a helicopter can just obliterate everyone unless someone wastes a spot putting a rocket launcher as their secondary. I don't even enjoy some of this stuff when I get it. Oh snap, +100!!!! I guess someone far away from me died somehow from one of my killstreaks in a way I'll never know. AWESOME!!!!!

I know I'm in the minority on a lot of this, but I don't care. I'm sure a ton of whiny children would fucking hate the CoD that I would love. It would be hilarious to see them have to play without leaning heavily/entirely on map flaws/game exploits, but if a CoD was made at this point which didn't have all the extraneous bullshit the modern FPS community has grown accustomed to, it might kill the franchise entirely. I can't even imagine the backlash, especially since there's already a large internet contingent who thinks it's "cool" to hate on the series because it's successful. I'd just love the series to return to a point where being able to aim and shoot mattered more than having the most exploitative loadout or camping certain spots on the maps. I'm not hopeful, though, because I obviously don't expect them to make a game I'd like but the average gamer would probably hate.

Is anyone still playing MW or MW2 on the 360?

Bill_P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Bill_P

I really enjoyed the last few levels of the campaign. Sledgehammer did a great job of pacing the game, throwing in little game-play twists and creating excitement. Don't think I've felt so exhilarated by COD since MW2. Normally I'm more skeptical about the story, or frustrated by some spikes in difficulty. This one was pitch perfect :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.