$1 billion in 15 days, new sales record

#1 Edited by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

http://news.investors.com/technology/120512-635775-call-of-duty-black-ops-2-sets-sales-record.htm

Beat Avatar's $1billion by two days and Modern Warfare 3's $1billion by one day.

I think this is pretty exciting news. Everyone wants to complain about how bad Call of Duty games are, and yet every year they outsell the ENTIRE entertainment industry.

"Life-to-date sales for the 'Call of Duty' franchise have exceeded worldwide theatrical box office receipts for 'Harry Potter' and 'Star Wars,' the two most successful movie franchises of all time."
#2 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4352 posts) -

I wonder if that means that the game passed the first Black Ops in terms of units sold because MW3 never broke that record, it only broke day 1 sales.

#3 Posted by Demoskinos (14842 posts) -

@jdh5153 said:

http://news.investors.com/technology/120512-635775-call-of-duty-black-ops-2-sets-sales-record.htm

Beat Avatar's $1billion by two days and Modern Warfare 3's $1billion by one day.

I think this is pretty exciting news. Everyone wants to complain about how bad Call of Duty games are, and yet every year they outsell the ENTIRE entertainment industry.

"Life-to-date sales for the 'Call of Duty' franchise have exceeded worldwide theatrical box office receipts for 'Harry Potter' and 'Star Wars,' the two most successful movie franchises of all time."

Yes exciting news that they are going to continue to pump out the same games. Also, a movie ticket is $10 Black Ops is $60 so... not as impressive as everyone would like you to think.

#4 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5495 posts) -

@Colourful_Hippie: Citation needed

But yeah people sure do like the same game over and over

Online
#5 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Glad it made money. That game took a ton of risks like making story choices matter. Also the multiplayer is real dope. Love me some BLOPS 2!

#6 Posted by HistoryInRust (6317 posts) -

Comparing video game earnings to box office earnings is the emptiest of statistical exercises. Video games cost just as much to produce and, at minimum, six-fold more to purchase. Of course they're going to outgross films, but that doesn't mean they are any more culturally relevant.

Not that they aren't culturally relevant, but they don't have the pervasive zeitgeist corporate marketing teams would have you believe.

#7 Posted by cmblasko (1242 posts) -
#8 Posted by WilliamHenry (1203 posts) -

@jdh5153 said:

http://news.investors.com/technology/120512-635775-call-of-duty-black-ops-2-sets-sales-record.htm

Beat Avatar's $1billion by two days and Modern Warfare 3's $1billion by one day.

I think this is pretty exciting news. Everyone wants to complain about how bad Call of Duty games are, and yet every year they outsell the ENTIRE entertainment industry.

"Life-to-date sales for the 'Call of Duty' franchise have exceeded worldwide theatrical box office receipts for 'Harry Potter' and 'Star Wars,' the two most successful movie franchises of all time."

I think a more interesting and relevant statistic would be comparing the number of games sold to the number of tickets sold. At $60 a pop, they have to sell a hell of a lot less games to earn more than those two movie franchises ever did.

#9 Posted by ValiantGrizzly (498 posts) -

This thread sure isn't going to get clogged with "waaahhh they released a quality product that I am in no way or shape obliged to buy, I am so mad".

#10 Posted by Levio (1784 posts) -

Man I wish I had a taste of that action! Even just a little bite of that cash cow would make me feel pretty good about my financial situation.

#11 Edited by KittyVonDoom (445 posts) -

Would any of those same people paid $60 to watch Avatar?

The answer is no. No they would not. It's called value.

#12 Posted by Brendan (7813 posts) -

@Demoskinos: @Fredchuckdave: Have you two played the game? BLOPS 2 doesn't reinvent the FPS but it definitely brings enough interesting things to the table to not deserve the same attitude that the past 3 or so titles did.

#13 Posted by CrossTheAtlantic (1145 posts) -

@Demoskinos: I wish movie tickets were 10 bucks where I live :(

#14 Posted by Nightriff (5088 posts) -

More interested in sales numbers. Just as other people pointed out, MW3 made a billion but the drop off was huge in purchases after the first few weeks. I can see no reason why that won't be the same for BLOPS 2.

#15 Posted by Demoskinos (14842 posts) -

@Brendan: Nope I haven't. Its the first CoD game I've skipped since World at War and I feel okay with that because for every interesting thing done there is another thing that I hear about it like "Gross, strikeforce missions" that makes me pat myself on the back at my decision to skip it and rock with Halo instead.

#16 Posted by Brendan (7813 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

@Brendan: Nope I haven't. Its the first CoD game I've skipped since World at War and I feel okay with that because for every interesting thing done there is another thing that I hear about it like "Gross, strikeforce missions" that makes me pat myself on the back at my decision to skip it and rock with Halo instead.

That's totally fine, but has little to do with you judging the product as being the same thing, pumped out every year, which isn't the case with this one (regardless of quality) unless your only definition of "different enough" is a reinvention of a product.

#17 Posted by Demoskinos (14842 posts) -

@Brendan said:

@Demoskinos said:

@Brendan: Nope I haven't. Its the first CoD game I've skipped since World at War and I feel okay with that because for every interesting thing done there is another thing that I hear about it like "Gross, strikeforce missions" that makes me pat myself on the back at my decision to skip it and rock with Halo instead.

That's totally fine, but has little to do with you judging the product as being the same thing, pumped out every year, which isn't the case with this one (regardless of quality) unless your only definition of "different enough" is a reinvention of a product.

Honestly, that is basically what I'm waiting for because in its current form I think I'm done with it. I want the CoD 4 moment again.

#18 Posted by VisariLoyalist (2994 posts) -

That's billion bucks

#19 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

Call of Duty is bigger than it's ever been.

#20 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5495 posts) -

@Brendan: Yep, my brother is one of many zerglings. If anything I was irritated that there wasn't a readily accessible steady aim perk, how dare they change things ever so slightly from game to game.

Online

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.