Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Black Ops II

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 13, 2012

The Black Ops storyline continues, switching the past Cold War from the game's predecessor to future 2025, as a new Cold War between U.S.A. and China flares up due to the actions of one vengeful drug-runner.

$1 billion in 15 days, new sales record

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jdh5153

http://news.investors.com/technology/120512-635775-call-of-duty-black-ops-2-sets-sales-record.htm

Beat Avatar's $1billion by two days and Modern Warfare 3's $1billion by one day.

I think this is pretty exciting news. Everyone wants to complain about how bad Call of Duty games are, and yet every year they outsell the ENTIRE entertainment industry.

"Life-to-date sales for the 'Call of Duty' franchise have exceeded worldwide theatrical box office receipts for 'Harry Potter' and 'Star Wars,' the two most successful movie franchises of all time."
    Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By colourful_hippie

I wonder if that means that the game passed the first Black Ops in terms of units sold because MW3 never broke that record, it only broke day 1 sales.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By musubi

@jdh5153 said:

http://news.investors.com/technology/120512-635775-call-of-duty-black-ops-2-sets-sales-record.htm

Beat Avatar's $1billion by two days and Modern Warfare 3's $1billion by one day.

I think this is pretty exciting news. Everyone wants to complain about how bad Call of Duty games are, and yet every year they outsell the ENTIRE entertainment industry.

"Life-to-date sales for the 'Call of Duty' franchise have exceeded worldwide theatrical box office receipts for 'Harry Potter' and 'Star Wars,' the two most successful movie franchises of all time."

Yes exciting news that they are going to continue to pump out the same games. Also, a movie ticket is $10 Black Ops is $60 so... not as impressive as everyone would like you to think.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@Colourful_Hippie: Citation needed

But yeah people sure do like the same game over and over

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Phatmac

Glad it made money. That game took a ton of risks like making story choices matter. Also the multiplayer is real dope. Love me some BLOPS 2!

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Comparing video game earnings to box office earnings is the emptiest of statistical exercises. Video games cost just as much to produce and, at minimum, six-fold more to purchase. Of course they're going to outgross films, but that doesn't mean they are any more culturally relevant.

Not that they aren't culturally relevant, but they don't have the pervasive zeitgeist corporate marketing teams would have you believe.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By cmblasko
    williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By williamhenry

@jdh5153 said:

I think a more interesting and relevant statistic would be comparing the number of games sold to the number of tickets sold. At $60 a pop, they have to sell a hell of a lot less games to earn more than those two movie franchises ever did.

valiantgrizzly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By valiantgrizzly

This thread sure isn't going to get clogged with "waaahhh they released a quality product that I am in no way or shape obliged to buy, I am so mad".

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10  Edited By Levio

Man I wish I had a taste of that action! Even just a little bite of that cash cow would make me feel pretty good about my financial situation.

KittyVonDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By KittyVonDoom

Would any of those same people paid $60 to watch Avatar?

The answer is no. No they would not. It's called value.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Brendan

@Demoskinos: @Fredchuckdave: Have you two played the game? BLOPS 2 doesn't reinvent the FPS but it definitely brings enough interesting things to the table to not deserve the same attitude that the past 3 or so titles did.

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
    CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

@Demoskinos: I wish movie tickets were 10 bucks where I live :(

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By nightriff

More interested in sales numbers. Just as other people pointed out, MW3 made a billion but the drop off was huge in purchases after the first few weeks. I can see no reason why that won't be the same for BLOPS 2.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By musubi

@Brendan: Nope I haven't. Its the first CoD game I've skipped since World at War and I feel okay with that because for every interesting thing done there is another thing that I hear about it like "Gross, strikeforce missions" that makes me pat myself on the back at my decision to skip it and rock with Halo instead.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Brendan

@Demoskinos said:

@Brendan: Nope I haven't. Its the first CoD game I've skipped since World at War and I feel okay with that because for every interesting thing done there is another thing that I hear about it like "Gross, strikeforce missions" that makes me pat myself on the back at my decision to skip it and rock with Halo instead.

That's totally fine, but has little to do with you judging the product as being the same thing, pumped out every year, which isn't the case with this one (regardless of quality) unless your only definition of "different enough" is a reinvention of a product.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By musubi

@Brendan said:

@Demoskinos said:

That's totally fine, but has little to do with you judging the product as being the same thing, pumped out every year, which isn't the case with this one (regardless of quality) unless your only definition of "different enough" is a reinvention of a product.

Honestly, that is basically what I'm waiting for because in its current form I think I'm done with it. I want the CoD 4 moment again.

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By VisariLoyalist

That's billion bucks

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#19  Edited By Hizang

Call of Duty is bigger than it's ever been.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@Brendan: Yep, my brother is one of many zerglings. If anything I was irritated that there wasn't a readily accessible steady aim perk, how dare they change things ever so slightly from game to game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.