Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Black Ops II

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 13, 2012

The Black Ops storyline continues, switching the past Cold War from the game's predecessor to future 2025, as a new Cold War between U.S.A. and China flares up due to the actions of one vengeful drug-runner.

Black ops 2. Lack of originality growing significantly.

• 63 results
    Avatar image for chadmasterflash
    ChadMasterFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By ChadMasterFlash

Has originality in the FPS sector finally died completely?

I know if it's not broke don't fix it. Can gamers really be satisfied by buying virtually the same thing every year?

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By BraveToaster

Unfortunately, games like CoD have a ton of fans who only play those games. As long as enough people buy it, there will always be sequels.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Lukeweizer

@ChadMasterFlash said:

I know if it's not broke don't fix it. Can gamers really be satisfied by buying virtually the same thing every year?

who says it's the same thing? I don't understand why people always bring up CoD as the example. I know it's most popular, so the easiest to hate. But they do change things from game to game. It's a First-Person Shooter. They're not going to make it an RTS to please the people who are sick of it. They are going to tweak it for the people who already buy it. Same with Halo. That shit got old fast for me. But they still made changes and they were big deals to people who enjoyed, but to someone like me who didn't like it, I didn't care.

Unless you're referring more the sequel factory that this industry has become. Definitely not CoD's fault for that either.

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Contrarian

Like all things, the law of diminishing returns applies and I am sure we are approaching that in the reasonably near future. It can't happen quick enough.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By joshthebear

If you're looking for originality then the COD series is not the place to look.

Avatar image for deactivated-6281db536cb1d
    deactivated-6281db536cb1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally I thought Black Ops' story was actually fairly entertaining and refreshing. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

Treyarchs COD's are awesome, if you don't know by now you just don't get it.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#8  Edited By JasonR86

@ChadMasterFlash said:

What exactly are you basing this off of from the information that has been gathered about the rumored BLOPS 2 game? What facts do you have that make this game standout among the FPS crowd as being unoriginal?

Harkat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Harkat

If you look to CoD for originality in the FPS sector, there's a problem.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By Dalai

Lack of originality has been growing since Modern Warfare.

NathanStack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NathanStack

Some people do actually play the CoD campaigns and care about the story, you know.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ShaggE

8-12 hours of stupid story and rote-but-solid action every year is all I ask of COD. Treyarch goes further by having batshit insane extras, so that's something at least. I think BLOPS actually spoiled me... I couldn't even care enough to finish MW3. I'm actually excited about BLOPS2 in a way that I haven't been for the series since MW1.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
    the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well its not like anything was announced yet right?  However, theres a high chance theyre just gonna announce the same shit.  I actually had fun with Black Ops so I dont know, it could be great

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#14  Edited By DarthOrange

I liked black ops. Was it the best game ever? No. But it was a great game that is always fun to pick up and play originality be damned. I hope to see the return of zombies, that was the main reason i skipped MW3.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Pibo47

@Contrarian said:

Like all things, the law of diminishing returns applies and I am sure we are approaching that in the reasonably near future. It can't happen quick enough.

CoD stopped being interesting after MW2. But hey, maybe this one will bring it back. Deff not buying it though. Tired of spending money on this shit.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#16  Edited By musubi

You can say what you will about your own personal interest level but the CoD games have still continually been objectively well made products. Is the market going to get tired of it at some point? Sure they will. But that goes with ANY game. I don't know about you guys but I usually buy sequels with the exact intent of wanting to play MORE of that thing even if in some cases its a slightly changed thing from the previous version. We'll see what Black Ops 2 has in store. I will say I've probally played MW3 the least of all the CoD games so I think my personal saturation point might finally be here but I won't fault or criticize anyone who is excited for Black Ops 2.

zaglis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By zaglis
    @xaLieNxGrEyx said:

The fuck are you even talking about?

Black Ops was the first game that was actually as good as a IW release. However, like someone said on the podcast, perhaps now Treyarch is going to be the lead CoD developer since MW3 was lacking in every way.
    cexantus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By cexantus

1. I will at least play Black Ops 2 because the original game was so bat-shit insane,, I'm really interested to see what they come up with for the sequel.

2. It's sequels. This is a problem afflicted by virtually all gaming franchises.

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Contrarian

@Pibo47 said:

@Contrarian said:

CoD stopped being interesting after MW2. But hey, maybe this one will bring it back. Deff not buying it though. Tired of spending money on this shit.

In the end, a game is good if you enjoy it. People enjoy it, so they continue to make the product for them. Nothing wrong with that. I think they are all killing the goose that lays the golden egg, but hey, that is the very definition of the free enterprise market. No different for television and movies - vampires is a good example. I don't like them, so I don't play them - my problem is solved.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#20  Edited By ArbitraryWater

@Contrarian said:

The law of diminishing returns has been in effect for a while now. For anyone who hasn't gotten bored of that very twitchy, very reflexive style of shooting the changes in the last two games has been marginal. For anyone who has, they stopped playing after Modern Warfare 2 anyways.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#21  Edited By Hizang

Black Ops is the best Call of Duty, so why would you not want a sequel to that?

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#22  Edited By MooseyMcMan

The campaign in Blops was great. Intriguing story with some twists I didn't see coming, nice use of time period, and solid voice acting. I have high hopes for Black Ops II. If you don't like it, then don't buy it. That doesn't mean you have to crap on it, because clearly there are millions of people who like these games enough to buy them every year, and plenty of other people (like me) who like them enough to play it about every other year.

And don't judge a game without knowing anything about it. Unless I missed something, all we know is the name. From there we can conclude that it is probably a continuation of the story from Black Ops I which, I think, was a very good story. And who knows, maybe they'll change up the formula a bit. Probably not, but at least wait until we know more than just the name to complain. And even then, just keep it to yourself. We know a lot of people are tired of the games.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#23  Edited By AndrewB

Psssst! Guys! Don't buy it.

aspaceinvader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By aspaceinvader

The multiplayer needs major changes it's becoming really boring

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Wait are you actually complaining about lack of originality from the Call of Duty series?

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By cikame

I like first person shooters.
    (informative i know).

regularassmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By regularassmilk

@joshthebear said:

If you're looking for originality then the COD series is not the place to look.

This. Why Black Ops 2 is the first sign you've noticed of dying originality is beyond me.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MarkWahlberg

You're also choosing the wrong CoD to complain about; I'll always be confused by how Jeff essentially switched the reviews for MW2 and BLOPS, saying the former was just enough innovation to be worth it while the latter didn't do enough, when it was (in my opinion) the reverse. They found a formula they're good at, one that people continue to enjoy, and one that allows the game industry to thrive in some capacity. Nothing wrong with that. You don't see anyone complaining about a lack of originality with James Bond movies, do you (ok, you do, but those people are dumb)?

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#29  Edited By JasonR86

Why are people speaking in absolutes about a game none of us have seen or played?

...oh yeah, the internet is fucking crazy and 'facts and fairness' are for jerks.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30  Edited By Animasta

@Hizang said:

exactly. I thought the story was pretty interesting, lots of cool extras and shit.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Hizang

@Animasta said:

@Hizang said:

exactly. I thought the story was pretty interesting, lots of cool extras and shit.

I also enjoyed the multiplayer more than I enjoyed MW3's.

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Would you have made this thread if the game had another subtitle?

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#33  Edited By Klei

@Lukeweizer said:

@ChadMasterFlash said:

who says it's the same thing? I don't understand why people always bring up CoD as the example. I know it's most popular, so the easiest to hate. But they do change things from game to game. It's a First-Person Shooter. They're not going to make it an RTS to please the people who are sick of it. They are going to tweak it for the people who already buy it. Same with Halo. That shit got old fast for me. But they still made changes and they were big deals to people who enjoyed, but to someone like me who didn't like it, I didn't care.

Unless you're referring more the sequel factory that this industry has become. Definitely not CoD's fault for that either.

They actually didn't changed much. The campaigns always follow the same beat. Rail shooting. Snapping/stabbing necks. Watching your high-ranking officer kill someone in a cool way right in front of you, because you can't, apparently. The MP part is virtually identical, if not for some feature swaps.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34  Edited By The_Nubster

@zaglis said:

@xaLieNxGrEyx said:

The fuck are you even talking about? Black Ops was the first game that was actually as good as a IW release. However, like someone said on the podcast, perhaps now Treyarch is going to be the lead CoD developer since MW3 was lacking in every way.

I've always enjoyed Treyarch CoD games more than IW ones. With the exception of MW1, IW has always just kind of pooped CoD games out. Treyarch is the developer that pours love and care (in the form of extra content and interesting mechanics) into their games, only to have IW completely trash anything that was cool or original. It's a shame that people look down on Treyarch so much. The only CoD games I've ever played for a significant amount of time were 3, WaW and Blops. They've always had a charm that IW's releases never had.

avidwriter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By avidwriter

If it's made by EA or Activision, yes.

StingingVelvet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#36  Edited By StingingVelvet

I like the campaigns, 5 hours of stupid fun. Black Ops was good, bring on another.

Or alternatively whine more, I guess.

Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Twisted_Scot

If people that hate cod games so much spend 7 months out of every year complaining about them? If your angry about lack of originality why bring the same complaint up every year and making these posts is hardly groundbreaking stuff now is it?
    Answer is the same as always, if there's a market companies will make it. If you dislike something don't buy it, its not like they are trying to lure you in with false advertising.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MideonNViscera

@Lukeweizer said:

@ChadMasterFlash said:

The reason everybody brings up CoD is because they release it every single year, and change it extremely little. So little that someone like me who only plays maybe 5 matches of each edition can't see any change at all. I mean they really should just be making more map packs for MW2 haha

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By superfriend

Wow, the game is not even confirmed and yet the haters start hatin´.. hey, I just thought of something: Why not start hating on Battlefield 4 right now, while we´re at it?

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@StingingVelvet said:

I like the campaigns, 5 hours of stupid fun. Black Ops was good, bring on another.

Or alternatively whine more, I guess.

Yeah, this is essentially where I'm at right now. Either enjoy it or shut up. People who like CoD know what they're getting into. Let them do them. Neither they nor CoD are hurting anyone or anything. I just don't understand why people, who clearly have interest in the series, feel the need to whine about a new entry each and every fucking time. At this point, they're infinitely more annoying than any CoD sequel that will ever exist.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By MiniPato

@BraveToaster said:

Unfortunately, games like CoD have a ton of fans who only play those games. As long as enough people buy it, there will always be sequels.

I don't think it's unfortunate that CoD sells well and hasn't changed. CoD isn't the sole reason for lack of creativity in the entire shooter genre. To be fair, it popularized the military shooter and perks system. CoD does what its been doing since CoD4 and is successful for it. It's unfortunate that other companies try to copy CoD and release stale military shooters year after year in attempts to dethrone it. Maybe it's CoD's fault that it reinforces the idea that generic military shooters sell well, but it's up to other developers to break away from that idea and try something new. Honestly, CoD has been doing the same thing year after year for so long that it's hard to get mad at Activision for being so predictable. But I get mad when I see a new military shooter from other developers cause, stop it, CoD is enough and BF3 definitely filled whatever gaps CoD doesn't. I'm getting saturated in the military shooting genre and I don't need another Medal of Honor game or Ghost Recon game.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By SlightConfuse

i think there has been some creativity in the COD franchise people are just too set in thier ways to see it. Black ops was the first call of duty i really enjoyed since 4. the amount of customization and the COD point ssystems were neat addtions to the gameplay. in fact black ops was my favorite call of duty game for the amount of time i played it.

i think call of duty needs to fix the 6-hour corridor shooter single player, i ahve not touched a campaign since world at war.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Quarters

Honestly, CoD still has the most enjoyable shooting out there for me by a long shot. While the engine may be dated, nothing plays half as smooth as it. Medal of Honor and Battlefield 3 felt like crap in particular. If they keep doing it well, I say let 'em.

zaglis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By zaglis
    @The_Nubster said:

@zaglis said:

@xaLieNxGrEyx said:

The fuck are you even talking about? Black Ops was the first game that was actually as good as a IW release. However, like someone said on the podcast, perhaps now Treyarch is going to be the lead CoD developer since MW3 was lacking in every way.

I've always enjoyed Treyarch CoD games more than IW ones. With the exception of MW1, IW has always just kind of pooped CoD games out. Treyarch is the developer that pours love and care (in the form of extra content and interesting mechanics) into their games, only to have IW completely trash anything that was cool or original. It's a shame that people look down on Treyarch so much. The only CoD games I've ever played for a significant amount of time were 3, WaW and Blops. They've always had a charm that IW's releases never had.

Treyarch has always been taking the base game that IW made and then adding stuff to it, it felt like they were making a mod.
    bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#45  Edited By bed

i still think call of duty is a lot of fun. originality doesn't decide whether a game is good or not. if it's fun, it's fun. people can whine all they want. it won't really make a difference because i'll be the one (hopefully) enjoying it when Black Ops 2 drops.

valitiney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By valitiney

Yea! If it has tanks, I am not getting it, they have been dishing those out since I can remember, talk about unoriginal!!!

Avatar image for chadmasterflash
    ChadMasterFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ChadMasterFlash

@Hizang said:

If you're going by opinion that's great but if you're using sales data then MW3 is the greatest and no one in the right mind should want another MW sequel.

valitiney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By valitiney

@ChadMasterFlash said:

@Hizang said:

If you're going by opinion that's great but if you're using sales data then MW3 is the greatest and no one in the right mind should want another MW sequel.

Sales data does not determine a games merit by any stretch whatsoever...

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#49  Edited By Justin258

@ChadMasterFlash said:

Do you mean the entire FPS genre or just Call of Duty?

This is the one thing that no one has asked yet. Yes, Call of Duty has been stagnant since MW1 but the entire FPS genre is not the same thing time after time.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Hizang

@Valitiney said:

@ChadMasterFlash said:

@Hizang said:

Sales data does not determine a games merit by any stretch whatsoever...

Yeah I mean if that was true then Game Party is the best game ever made.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.