Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Black Ops II

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 13, 2012

The Black Ops storyline continues, switching the past Cold War from the game's predecessor to future 2025, as a new Cold War between U.S.A. and China flares up due to the actions of one vengeful drug-runner.

Blops 2 doing Micro-Transactions now

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

Call of Duty has always weirded me out. It certainly looks like its worth buying every single year. I mean, It just has good value. I'm just not very good at it.

No Caption Provided

Well now they have this. Game Informer reports, from Dan Amrich's blog (Activision guy), that Black Ops 2 has started to do Micro-Transactions. It seems that these they're now going to be referring to these things as Personalization Packs. For 160 MS points, you can get camo packs, reticles, and some player-card-thing. Namely, the one they point out is 'The Bacon Pack.' You're shooting Trent Reznor in the face, in the year 2025, with fermented bacon plastered on your 'Vanessa'-gun. Like herr: ; It looks like charcoal, slathered with a bacon map-texture-thing.

Game Informer: Microtransactions Heading To Call Of Duty: Black Ops II On Xbox 360

Dan Amrich: One of Swords: Nuketown 2025 free starting Wednesday on 360

EA. ~ HmMmkay. But! I remember Gears 3 doing this long before EA did.

So, I wanna know, who of y'all actually play CoD. Would y'all buy this bacon thing? Or SmokeDog420's special reserve skin-pack?

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By UlquioKani

I never really cared about weapon skins in the Call Of Duty games and a bacon skin is especially unappealing.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Skin packs have always been stupid

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By confusedowl

Never cared about weapon skins very much. Its when the items start to effect gameplay that it starts to get iffy for me or there's more real money items than normal in game items (Like Gears 3).

SocietySays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

And the sheep will pay.

OGred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezakael said:

Never cared about weapon skins very much. Its when the items start to effect gameplay that it starts to get iffy for me or there's more real money items than normal in game items (Like Gears 3).

Epic really fucked up the ratio of unlockable skins : purchased skins in Gears 3. Left a bad taste in my mouth :I

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it leads to less people with gold/bling weapons, that would be good. I like new skins, but at the same time, new skins always felt like a sign of dedication. And buying them sort of takes that away. But, overall I got no complaints about this idea.

Nivash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to play a lot of CoD until MW2 but I just felt burned out by MW3 and BLOPS2. Anyway, I can both see why they would do this but I also don't understand it all all.

Let me explain: customization is fun. I customized the hell out of all the CoDs I played. Kick-ass personal playercard, emblems built from the ground up, lots of thought given to what camo for what weapon, the works. It's because it allows you to express a personality in-game. This is me: I designed this playercard, this is my emblem and there's nothing else out there like it, this is the gun camo I worked for hours to unlock. I've been doing something similar with the character camos and dogtags on BF3.

But buying that is not the same at all. What the hell are you expressing? Look at me, I bought this for 160 MSP so I can look just the same as the thousands of other people who also bought it? Where's the fun in that?

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By MariachiMacabre

Bacon is really funny, right guys?

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sweet, can't wait!

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By OldManLight

except for the diamond or gold camo's i really never notice any of them. Those are only notable because when i see someone running around with that on their gun, i can assume they've used it a lot and are likely an experienced player that i can't just be careless around.

Although i think the practice of putting microtransactions into $60 games (especially if they have a $50 "season pass") is pretty disgusting, i kinda feel like something has to kill Call of Duty and i kinda hope this is it. Although i do enjoy the multiplayer most of the time.

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pay $5 for the internet

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.