Ending discussions *Obviously Spoilers Ahoy*

• 54 results
#1 Posted by Fredddi43 (358 posts) -

What ending did you guys get? Are there even different ones? I'm pretty certain there are, since you made some significant choices throughout the course of the game... I got the one where Menendez blows up the drones himself, and then gets captured. I decided not to kill him and he went to prison only to break out again (seriously, how bad is the security of the prisoners in this?). He then went and killed the old dude whose name I can't remember. And then he went and played guitar on a rock concert? What was that all about?

Also, did you duders also have achievement problems? I completed the game on Hardend, but didn't unlock the achievement, and I also didn't get the one for scoring at least 10k in every mission. Annoying.

#2 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -

He killed the old dude? In your ending Woods dies? Damn.

In mine, Menendez blows the drones up himself (not too sure that could change) but I kill him when I get the chance. Final scene is David Mason and Woods standing in front of Alex Mason's grave, all peaceful like, and David saying that he's done fighting. Also, Harper's alive. And Briggs is dead. And Salazar is dead. Anderson's alive. The president's alive.

Wonder if there was any way to save Karma.

#3 Posted by Sanjay_Collins (12 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ: my ending is the same as yours. With Briggs alive. And a post credits scene of Corpus Die starting a revolution in DC with a burning white house and Capitol (i ignored the strike force missions as i thought they were annoying and underdeveloped)

I think you can save Karma only if you kill Harper while undercover.

sounds like you got a worse ending if Woods gets capped.

Also the concert at the end was just a little in joke for the players, personally i thought it was hilarious when frank jumped out of his wheelchair "nah fuck it im just lazy" I personally think its just a joke due to the over the top MAN fest that COD has become. why not have a Avenged Sevenfold concert at the end?

#4 Posted by Nightriff (5337 posts) -

You talking about the A7X video?

#5 Posted by MegaMetaTurtle (414 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ to save Karma you have to have Farid kill the captured US soldier I think.

I got the ending where Woods dies.
Sucked since I tried to save Mason and shot him once in the leg. Seems weird they make you shoot him twice to save him :/

In my story the guy got his face burnt. Felt bad about that :(
#6 Edited by AjayRaz (12476 posts) -

my ending seemed pretty normal. woods survived, briggs survived, president survived, harper survived (with a burnt face) karma died, farid died, killed menendez, killed mason (shot without thinking. argh. at least got down on the floor before that), and the post-credits scene with A7X is the greatest thing ever. never thought i'd see Reznov moshing or whatever he was doing

#7 Posted by MegaMetaTurtle (414 posts) -
@AjayRaz I'm pretty sure that gives you the worst ending, at least according to the videos I saw on YouTube :S
#8 Posted by AjayRaz (12476 posts) -

@MegaMetaTurtle: what does?

#9 Posted by MegaMetaTurtle (414 posts) -

Farid/Karma dying cause the worm to spread in the ending, killing Mason means he doesn't turn up to see his son and killing the main bad guy causes a revolution.

#10 Edited by MstrMnyBgs (128 posts) -

Are you saying there is a way to not snipe old Mason? I tried shooting both guards, shooting Noriega, waiting for awhile, etc. Nothing happened so I assumed they forced you to take the shot. Even though it was obvious it wasnt Menendez.

#11 Posted by MegaMetaTurtle (414 posts) -
@MstrMnyBgs Yeah, you have to shoot him twice in the leg.

Why twice? Who knows. Tried shooting the guard first, then shot him once in the leg and he dropped to the ground. I waited thinking it would count, but it wouldn't progress, so I shot him in the head :/
#12 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -

Yeah, I tried to shoot the guard right next to the person they were holding, but it didn't do anything. I knew it was Mason from all of the hints, but I didn't know what to do instead of shooting him in the head.

#13 Posted by Sanjay_Collins (12 posts) -

I was slightly frustrated at how choosing to kill/capture Menendez turns out. either you capture him and he escapes, killing wooods, or you kill him and the events set in motion for the revolution. It seems like either option fucks up everything. I shot Mason knewing something was up, that it may have been menendez's plan, but not 100% knowing it was actually mason, so that was a crazy twist, but it seems stupid that you have to shoot him twice in the leg to divert that storyline, like who would have thought to do that?

#14 Posted by MegaMetaTurtle (414 posts) -
@Sanjay_Collins He doesn't always escape:

*Spoilers*

Saving Karma stops the worm and stops him escaping.
#15 Posted by K9 (621 posts) -

@Fredddi43 said:

What ending did you guys get? Are there even different ones? I'm pretty certain there are, since you made some significant choices throughout the course of the game... I got the one where Menendez blows up the drones himself, and then gets captured. I decided not to kill him and he went to prison only to break out again (seriously, how bad is the security of the prisoners in this?). He then went and killed the old dude whose name I can't remember. And then he went and played guitar on a rock concert? What was that all about?

I got the same ending scenes but after the antagonist kills the old man in the wheelchair I got the scene of him going to his sister's grave and burning himself to death so that his body lies alongside hers. The concert scene was completely out of left field and ruined some of my appreciation of the characters after just having witnessed the story conclusion.

#16 Posted by Terjay (826 posts) -

So uh... Why do Youtube retards riot for this guy anyway?

#17 Posted by RecSpec (3930 posts) -

Shot Mason 
Briggs died and the USS Obama got annihilated (all those fucking Strike Force missions for nothing) 
Virus never got stopped. 
Menendez got captured, then escaped and killed Woods.  

The conversation between Menendez and Woods is pretty interesting, his sister...jeez. 

But yeah, that after credits scene is a travesty. Even if you were a fan of the band, yuck.

#18 Posted by Fredddi43 (358 posts) -

Right, I forgot about the grave thing. That happened in my ending too.

Apparently Karma is dead because I decided to shoot Menendez in the hostage situation and the die myself, instead of shooting the other soldier.

That's a really weird turnout of events, I don't really see any connection between the two events, and I would've liked to rather have control and try to save Karma instead of the cutscene playing out as it did. This game has some weird choices and you can't really see the connection between them and the outcome. I think they should've stayed linear and left choices to Mass Effect.

#19 Posted by xengiantbomb (20 posts) -

Well I killed DeFalco (sniped him before he scaped) and let Farid die to save the other guy and Karma died anyway being shot in the server room :(

#20 Edited by Lord_Xp (606 posts) -

My ending was everyone living besides the one guy who was my friend by Farid's hand. Capturing Menendez, and he stayed in prison. Mason and Woods are at the grave site and Mason quits fighting. I think I got the good ending

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_xeXtRGMCA this is a link to see all 4 endings of the game

#21 Posted by Ursus_Veritas (383 posts) -
@rebgav said:

@xengiantbomb said:

Well I killed DeFalco (sniped him before he scaped) and let Farid die to save the other guy and Karma died anyway being shot in the server room :(

Yeah, it seems you really have to sacrifice Harper if you want to save Karma. Kind of a bummer.

Side note: Anyone know how to get the "Showdown" achievement? The only thing I haven't tried is keeping Karma, Mason and Menendez all alive at the end of the game, I think.

Let Defalco escape (and don't do the Strike Force mission that lets you recapture Chloe), then have Farid kill Harper. In the Obama server room, DeFalco and Farid take each other out, getting you the achievement.
#22 Posted by MegaMetaTurtle (414 posts) -
@rebgav there's a video on Rooster Teeth. It's quite weird, since it takes a few levels.

From what I can remember, let DeFalco get away, and don't do the strike force mission to save karma, then shoot Harper to save Farid. Then when Manendez goes into the control room of the Obama a different scenario plays out.
#23 Posted by MegaMetaTurtle (414 posts) -
@Lord_Xp You're missing someone from the ending :P
#24 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

Harper lived with a burnt face

Farid got killed

Karma got killed

Briggs lived

Alex Mason died

Menendez escaped and killed Woods, then lit himself on fire in his sisters grave

I had no idea you could save Mason by shooting him in the leg twice. You would think once would be enough.

#25 Posted by Lord_Xp (606 posts) -

@MegaMetaTurtle said:

@Lord_Xp You're missing someone from the ending :P

who? I didn't make the vid, I just found it and shared it

#26 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3810 posts) -

So those Strike Force missions, do they play a part in the ending of the game or is it just those decision choices in the campaign?

#27 Edited by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -

@I_Stay_Puft said:

So those Strike Force missions, do they play a part in the ending of the game or is it just those decision choices in the campaign?

Pretty sure the strike force missions helps uniting the US and China and protect the Obama.

• Killed Mason as Woods
  • Completed all Strike Missions so China and US were buddies
  • Killed Harper and Farid survived
  • Farid died to save Karma
  • Shot Briggs in the leg so he survived and re-initiated the Obama defenses
  • Karma stopped the worm
  • The Obama was saved
  • Menendez destroyed the drones during the final mission and was taken prisoner.
  • Mason Jr and Woods paid regards to Mason Sr at his grave
  • Menendez watched Karma trash talk him on Jimmy Kimmel's show

Then.. ROCK 'N ROLL!!

#28 Posted by MiniPato (2751 posts) -

@PhatSeeJay said:

@I_Stay_Puft said:

Pretty sure the strike force missions helps uniting the US and China and protect the Obama.

• Killed Mason as Woods
  • Completed all Strike Missions so China and US were buddies
  • Killed Harper and Farid survived
  • Farid died to save Karma
  • Shot Briggs in the leg so he survived and re-initiated the Obama defenses
  • Karma stopped the worm
  • The Obama was saved
  • Menendez destroyed the drones during the final mission and was taken prisoner.
  • Mason Jr and Woods paid regards to Mason Sr at his grave
  • Menendez watched Karma trash talk him on Jimmy Kimmel's show

Exact sequence of events I got. Except I didn't shoot Briggs at all. Just kept shooting around until I had to reload my gun and Briggs attacked me, causing Salazar to knock him out with a pistol whip. Either way I think it leads to the same result.

#29 Posted by MiniPato (2751 posts) -

Completely unrelated, but does anyone else think this guy looks like Tom Hardy?

#30 Posted by kadash299 (282 posts) -

OMFG UO NEWBZ RUINED ZE GAME 4 ME GEE THX EWBS ZOMG OMFG NO I HAVE TO GO PWNZOR NEWBS AT THE CAWD ALL FKN NIGHT!!!

#31 Posted by mrfluke (5341 posts) -

wow talk about radical different choices here, very very impressed or rather surprised with this call of duty,

i captured menendez, then he broke out and killed woods (and then woods said something about the sister), and then menendez went to his sisters grave and burned himself next to his sister,

karma died, i had farid sacrificed himself , briggs died, killed alex mason (didnt know about shooting him in the legs would've saved him) killed defalco,

#32 Posted by jillsandwich (760 posts) -

I killed Harper while undercover, setting me up for the good ending and all, but I failed the Strike Force missions, which I think just overrides Karma being alive to crack the worm and Farid sacrificing himself for her, as I got the ending where Menendez escapes and ices motherfuckers. No matter, I loved how fucking dark my ending was.

I think this game's really cool, definitely up there with MW1 and 2 as my favorite COD campaigns.

#33 Edited by AngriGhandi (792 posts) -

Maybe it's just me, but the way they handled choices in this game bothered me to no end.

Some of them seemed totally illogical (shoot Mason in the leg? Twice? And shooting the guards does nothing?? Awesome, go fuck yourselves!) others seemed totally random (deciding whether or not to shoot Harper determines whether Karma lives ...why?) and some of them were almost nonsensical as far as what my motivations as the player are supposed to be (why would I want to kill Admiral Briggs? Did anybody pick that option??).

Also, the idea that the worst terrorist in the history of mankind, wanted by both America and China, would still be in prison awaiting trial a year after his arrest, and not put through due process and publicly executed in like, three months, was so dumb that I probably should have seen it coming. International law treats terrorists like Batman villains, apparently.

Oh, also, if you shoot the dead body of your traitor friend after Harper kills him, you fail the mission for friendly fire. THE IRONY.

In the end, the net effect it all had on me was an overwhelming annoyance that I wasn't seeing the ending I chose to see-- not because I was making the wrong choices, but because the choices I was given didn't really make sense.

And it's really too bad, because the idea of a villain who wants to turn the drones of the world's biggest military against themselves because he believes allowing any nation to have that much power and control is immoral would actually be pretty interesting and conflicted and relatable-- if the guy wasn't just a big weeping douche who spends literally the entire game crying about his dead sister, yet apparently is also possessed of enough mental faculties to be the greatest hacking genius ever.

...But I got to shoot like 500 dudes, so w/e

#34 Posted by RedRoach (1212 posts) -

I captured Menendez but he didnt break out of prison.

#35 Posted by benspyda (2050 posts) -

@Fredddi43 said:

Also, did you duders also have achievement problems? I completed the game on Hardend, but didn't unlock the achievement, and I also didn't get the one for scoring at least 10k in every mission. Annoying.

I did the same thing. Letting Menendez live and choosing the undercover guy to die lead to a pretty bleak ending for me. Woods gets capped and the virus can't be stopped (And Michael Rooker got his face burnt to shit and the numbers made me shoot that guy ). It's pretty cool how it all works out like that as I knew the decisions I made were poor while I was making them. For a COD game I was really impressed.

It's just unfortunate there is no decision you can make to stop the concert part from happening, well other than what I did, "SKIP CUTSCENE".

#36 Posted by Ethereal (103 posts) -

So what happens if you don't shoot "Menendez" aka Mason on the Panama mission? The fact that he dies seems a matter of fact, just that the details change?

#37 Edited by Madz (66 posts) -

@AngriGhandi said:

Maybe it's just me, but the way they handled choices in this game bothered me to no end.

Some of them seemed totally illogical (shoot Mason in the leg? Twice? And shooting the guards does nothing?? Awesome, go fuck yourselves!) others seemed totally random (deciding whether or not to shoot Harper determines whether Karma lives ...why?) and some of them were almost nonsensical as far as what my motivations as the player are supposed to be (why would I want to kill Admiral Briggs? Did anybody pick that option??).

Also, the idea that the worst terrorist in the history of mankind, wanted by both America and China, would still be in prison awaiting trial a year after his arrest, and not put through due process and publicly executed in like, three months, was so dumb that I probably should have seen it coming. International law treats terrorists like Batman villains, apparently.

Oh, also, if you shoot the dead body of your traitor friend after Harper kills him, you fail the mission for friendly fire. THE IRONY.

In the end, the net effect it all had on me was an overwhelming annoyance that I wasn't seeing the ending I chose to see-- not because I was making the wrong choices, but because the choices I was given didn't really make sense.

And it's really too bad, because the idea of a villain who wants to turn the drones of the world's biggest military against themselves because he believes allowing any nation to have that much power and control is immoral would actually be pretty interesting and conflicted and relatable-- if the guy wasn't just a big weeping douche who spends literally the entire game crying about his dead sister, yet apparently is also possessed of enough mental faculties to be the greatest hacking genius ever.

...But I got to shoot like 500 dudes, so w/e

I feel the same way about most of it, what they should've done in the 'Shoot Menendez' sequence is telegraph a bit more what you should do, shooting the guards give you a game over so you FEEL that you have no choice, a 'sugestion' to shoot him in the leg would've gone a LONG way.

The Karma thing is absurd. It's literally a coin flip decision, most people will choose Harper because he's a cool guy while Farid is an undercover duder that seems about to shit himself every time someone talks to him. Then Farid 'saves' Karma and Karma saves the entire world...I mean, suddenly they forgot that Karma was a really huge deal...?

Menendez rise to power and super hacker powers is handwaved as him investing in Tacitus with his druglord money, which doesn't sound too bad. And, really, in the end I enjoyed the story, but maaaan, my first ending sucked (virus spreads, no one can do anything about it, Menendez kills Woods and the scene where he burns himself didn't even appear), and it was due to the things mentioned above.

Edit: @Ethereal: Mason survives, and appears on the vault. Woods asks where he was in the last thirty years and Mason Jr talks with him a bit.

#38 Posted by Phatmac (5727 posts) -

I shot Alex Mason. :( I honestly wasn't thinking. I shot Harper, Saved Karma, saved the Prez, saved Briggs, Salvarez survived, I shoot Krevkenco(That was a great moment with the numbers), killed Delfalco, and captured Raul. I got the ending with Frank and David talking, Raul in jail and not escaping, and Karma was on Kimmel. That A7X shit kinda makes me hate the game now. Honestly surprised by how much I cared about the story.

#39 Edited by BillyMethers (149 posts) -

Not reading the replies much since I intend to replay the different choices. I blew everybody's head off though. Nobody lived. I killed them ALL. Don't know if the blowing up drones part is suppose to be different in the end, but he did that in my playthrough too. As I said though, NOBODY LIVED.

I was kind bummed at one moment when I was about to shoot my captured friend while I was undercover, but waited too long and it automatically chose to shoot the villain for me. So I was bummed and couldnt help but go back and replay the WHOLE MISSION over again cause I wanted to blow his head off. So some of the shocking surprise went dull cause I knew what happens and just wanted to blow his brains out the 2nd time around.

edit: by the way, didnt you just love this part of the game

#40 Posted by david3cm (636 posts) -

I thought the ending was pretty bad if you don't shoot Menedez, play through the entire campaign and there is no payoff for what I've done. The bad guy escapes, kills me friends, then burns himself alive. No real character payoff for David or any of the soldiers I fought with, no real sense of what is happening in the world, I was enjoying the game until the fourth time Menedez escapes from captivity and everything fucks up.

#41 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

The rock concert at the end is one of the greatest parts of the Call of Duty franchise.

#42 Edited by Lumley (964 posts) -

So I got..

• Didn't shoot Krevkenco
  • No burn on Harpers face
  • DeFalco escaped
  • Killed Harper
  • Rescued Karma, Karma lived
  • Killed Menendez, Woods lived
  • Briggs lived
  • Saved the president
  • Alex Mason lived

I don't think I'm missing anything

#43 Posted by Crixaliz (782 posts) -

Is it possible for the President to die? What impact does that have on the story?

#44 Posted by SpudBug (633 posts) -

I was pretty disappointed in it and the choices overall. And the strikeforce missions were terrible.

maybe it was mostly because i played on PC but the transitions between gameplay and the pre-rendered shit were so jarring too, especially when they were happening for only a minute or so then back to 1080p 60fps high anti aliasing graphics.

#45 Posted by Zereta (1370 posts) -

Farid killed Harper. I didn't kill the Chinese guy. I didn't kill Menendaz. He shuts everything down himself (What?)

He escapes and kills Woods. And then kills himself. (What?)

The reveal that his sister was alive but not really before Woods killed her (Not a surprise because the intro made that real clear but whatever)

A bunch of shit went down on the USS Obama (I think Briggs died. I hated that "cocksucker")

AND ALEX MASON IS ALIVE? What the flying fuck?

#46 Posted by Zereta (1370 posts) -

@SpudBug said:

I was pretty disappointed in it and the choices overall. And the strikeforce missions were terrible.

maybe it was mostly because i played on PC but the transitions between gameplay and the pre-rendered shit were so jarring too, especially when they were happening for only a minute or so then back to 1080p 60fps high anti aliasing graphics.

It was pretty jarring on the Xbox as well. Even the pre-rendered stuff didn't look good though

#47 Posted by laserbolts (5365 posts) -

Old guy is not really dead. That's all I remember about the shit campaign.

#48 Posted by SpudBug (633 posts) -

@Zereta: I get what they were going for but they should have just made all the cutscenes in-engine, even if they would have been lower detail.

Treyarch probably aren't set up for that kind of real time cutscene work though. I imagine it's easier to farm out the pre rendered stuff.

#49 Edited by JoeyRavn (4983 posts) -

@david3cm said:

I thought the ending was pretty bad if you don't shoot Menedez, play through the entire campaign and there is no payoff for what I've done. The bad guy escapes, kills me friends, then burns himself alive. No real character payoff for David or any of the soldiers I fought with, no real sense of what is happening in the world, I was enjoying the game until the fourth time Menedez escapes from captivity and everything fucks up.

That's because that's not the "best ending". In my ending, which I think it's the "best" you can get:

DeFalco dies.

Farid kills Harper.

The Chinese guy is killed in a Strike Force mission.

The USS Obama is saved and Briggs lives.

Woods shoots Mason in the legs.

Since he is alive, Farid protects Karma, who stops the virus.

Salazar doesn't die, because Harper is not there to execute him. Instead, he goes to prison.

You don't kill Menendez, you lock him away. He is watching TV in his cell, sees Karma on Jimmy Kimmel's show (weird), she makes fun of him, he goes berzerk and smashes his forehead against the TV. Then smiles at the camera, but remains in prison.

Alex Mason is reunited with his son, David, and Woods. All three live happily ever after, waiting for the inevitable Black Ops III that fills in the time Mason was away, possibly doing undercover missions and shit.

#50 Posted by david3cm (636 posts) -

@JoeyRavn: Thats all well and good but that doesn't excuse giving the player a lackluster ending if they didn't get the best ending. I have no problem with things going to shit, what I take issue with is the lack of information of what the state of the world is, what is going on with David, stuff like that. I also find it infuriating how this guy is able to avoid capture over and over and over again. If they just put that guy in cuffs and leg irons welded to a stool, the world coming to an end could have been avoided. At the time I was bumbed he killed my old man buddy, but what I actually find annoying is the way Menendez's story ends in my version, felt kind of lacking. I think it's kind of cool that there are such diverging paths in that game, but some of them (shooting Mason for instance) are so unclear they are even a choice at all. Plus I am not very good at call of duty and it seems some of those options really on playing well so I would be unable to get the best ending if I played through again, which I am kind of compelled to do. I just think even in the ending where things go to shit that you shouldn't leave out aspectsof the story that seem to be addressed in the best ending.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.