For those of you who thought you were out, but got pulled back in

#1 Posted by Lukeweizer (2654 posts) -

How are you finding? Is it a fresher experience like you were hoping for or were you disappointed to find that it's just too similar?

I've been buying the new one every year, but BLOPS 2 hasn't bite me quite yet. The futuristic setting is a nice change, but the gameplay looks just the same. The new loadout point system is kind of neat and allows for more customization, but I don't really think that'll make the gameplay any fresher for me.

#2 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

Luckily, I'm renting it from lovefilm, it arrives tomorrow, and has a full day to sink it's hooks in, otherwise it's going back straight after I'm done with the campaign.

#3 Posted by JasonR86 (9657 posts) -

Another question, how long is the single player campaign? I won't spend a lot of time in the multiplayer and zombies is boring to me. The only thing that interests me is the single player. But I won't play it on a harder difficulty then normal because I've done that in COD games before and disliked it. But I also refuse to buy a game for a full $60 for a game that offers as most 5 hours of gameplay. So...is it longer then 5 hours?

#4 Posted by Codeacious (960 posts) -

Better than I expected, but I didn't expect all too much. The singleplayer was surprising in the player choice stuff Jeff mentioned; the campaign actually gives some semblance of variance this time around.

#5 Posted by laserbolts (5319 posts) -

I'm resisting thus far but I'm not sure how much longer I'll go.

#6 Posted by Lukeweizer (2654 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

Another question, how long is the single player campaign? I won't spend a lot of time in the multiplayer and zombies is boring to me. The only thing that interests me is the single player. But I won't play it on a harder difficulty then normal because I've done that in COD games before and disliked it. But I also refuse to buy a game for a full $60 for a game that offers as most 5 hours of gameplay. So...is it longer then 5 hours?

Haven't played it or heard anything about the length, but I can't immagine it's any longer than the 6 hour standard for these types of games. Should try and rent it if you can.

#7 Posted by believer258 (11800 posts) -

I've played it for maybe two hours on my brother's PS3. On my brother's copy.

I said that I wouldn't get the next one after BlOps, but I got MW3 and was supremely disappointed. MW3 was just incredibly boring and it all ran together as a blur to me. This one, though, is pretty cool. All of the maps seem pretty varied and colorful and identifiable (i.e. not all of them take place in bombed-out cities), the guns and gadgets feel really good and fun, I don't feel utterly bored. In fact, I just want to jump back into it and I'm thinking hard about picking up my own copy.

Keep in mind that this is just after two hours of play, but I definitely can't wait to play it more.

#8 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3660 posts) -

Compared to MW3, there's almost no lag.  That's huge, especially for day one.  Won't have an overall impression for quite some time, but so far it's really making MW3 look like the trash that game is.

#9 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

I didn't like Black Ops all that much besides the zombie stuff and didn't buy MW3 (tried it on a Steam free weekend and a friend also brought a PS3 copy over one time and I didn't like it at all,) but damn, this is actually looking really fun to me. I'm curious as to how good the PC version is.

#10 Posted by ApeGantz (217 posts) -

Nope. I have Mw2 and 3 so I'm good. Was thinking about picking it up next summer but by that time there's no point because I'm sure there will be ANOTHER progression shooter down the line in November.

#11 Posted by Sackmanjones (4688 posts) -

The short version: I am truly impressed (so far) with the game so far. Treyarch really seems like they sat down and really wanted to make something different in the franchise, especially in single player.  I haven't played much but I'll do the best I can with what I've played so far: 

Zombies: I played like 5 minutes of this mode, seems totally fine. I tend to play this with friends online or with a couch buddy but none were open at the time. If you've played zombies before you get the jist, its just a bit bigger and with some pretty neat little modes tossed in. The ability to start on later waves is nice and a few other toggles 

Single Player:  I've only played up to the 3rd mission I believe but I am having a blast with the campaign.  There is definitely a different, more open feel to it especially compared to Modern Warfare 3. Have I hit some corridors and such? Absolutely but Ive also encountered giant open rooms with multiple levels that I can take on in any way I please.  Now, I'm a big fan of "near future" and from the one mission I've played in 2025 it is right up that alley. The tech is definitely out there but just enough to not break the illusion that hey, this could actually be real in the next decade or so. The game is brutal too, limbs come off, blood squirts and it makes the impact of combat more visceral I think. Also the voice acting and face animations are really well done. Emotions are shown pretty well on the faces and it helps move the story. Like I said I'm not far but the plot is more compelling than any previous COD game before it. 

Multiplayer: I am a Battlefield guy.  I tend to prefer the slower, methodical and more tactical approach in my multiplayer shooters.  With that said, I played a fair amount of online in Blops1. When I got MW3 I played maybe 30 minutes and knew I would never touch that again. However, with Blops 2 I can see myself playing this much more. I think the "pick 10" stuff is really really interesting and in the future I can see people coming up with creative loadouts. By being able to pick literally anything you want, it opens you up to probably millions of different choices on how to create a loadout.  Also the maps seem really well made. Sure I've had some stupid spawns but that is fixable  but the maps are definitely crafted with care. There is never a shortage on action wherever you go and the new scorestreaks (in place of killstreaks) rewards people like me who enjoying going for objectives rather than running and gunning everyone all the time. 

So ya, I've always enjoyed Call of Duty but its definitely run its course and gotten stale faster and faster. This is the first game in awhile that I really can't wait to throw into the machine again and play. If anyone has any questions I will try to answer the best I can! Hope this helps.

#12 Edited by OldManLight (839 posts) -

haven't touched any mode except multiplayer. It feels fresh and tightly designed. Nothing obviously exploitable in the game so far. Even if you get the idea that you're gonna stack all the perks and scavenge guns from others, you still don't get the opportunity to become overpowered. The pick 10 thing adds decent amount of creativity and flexibility to the custom class setup in multiplayer. It also feels like they've dialed back the ridiculous amount of XP you can get so people won't level up as quickly. Gonna be playing this for a while and this is from a guy who had tired of MW3 several months before borderlands 2 came out.

#13 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1727 posts) -

I skipped MW3 last year, and I was kind of interested to see how this turned out with the little changes they were making. 

So far, I really like the campaign. I'm only 4 or 5 missions in but it's one of the best in the series, except for those Strike Force missions...those are fucking AWFUL. Good choice to make them optional, since they clearly weren't playtested at all.
The MP, however....I can't stand it. I used to really enjoy CoD multiplayer and be reasonably good at it, and I don't know what it is about this game that's changed, but it's horrible. I think It's a combination of the small nature of the maps, balancing issues, and the people playing it that makes it completely unenjoyable. I don't fucking understand how everyone I seem to come up against have this inhuman reaction time with impeccable accuracy. I find myself dying constantly and just generally having a really shitty, frustrating time. Of course, there's also the usual MP shooter things like "No, I shot you first, asshole!" and "How the hell did this douche kill me from behind cover?". The game's been out a day and I've decided I'm already done with it. Maybe I've just outgrown CoD multiplayer. It's hard to go back to after playing a ton of BF3.

#14 Posted by xSeanZx (188 posts) -

@OneKillWonder_ said:

I skipped MW3 last year, and I was kind of interested to see how this turned out with the little changes they were making. So far, I really like the campaign. I'm only 4 or 5 missions in but it's one of the best in the series, except for those Strike Force missions...those are fucking AWFUL. Good choice to make them optional, since they clearly weren't playtested at all.The MP, however....I can't stand it. I used to really enjoy CoD multiplayer and be reasonably good at it, and I don't know what it is about this game that's changed, but it's horrible. I think It's a combination of the small nature of the maps, balancing issues, and the people playing it that makes it completely unenjoyable. I don't fucking understand how everyone I seem to come up against have this inhuman reaction time with impeccable accuracy. I find myself dying constantly and just generally having a really shitty, frustrating time. Of course, there's also the usual MP shooter things like "No, I shot you first, asshole!" and "How the hell did this douche kill me from behind cover?". The game's been out a day and I've decided I'm already done with it. Maybe I've just outgrown CoD multiplayer. It's hard to go back to after playing a ton of BF3.

So basically you dont like multiplayer because you are not good at it?

It takes time to get the twitch back. I was sucking when I started and now Im already doing much better. This is the most lag free, balanced, and fun multiplayer in a CoD since 4

#15 Posted by aquamarin (555 posts) -

I can't wait to get pulled into this game when it's < 30 buck on Steam or somewhere I can unlock it on steam.

#16 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2129 posts) -

After dodging CoD since MW2, I found Black Ops 2 quite refreshing and glad they made the campaign sizeable and quite variable. The multiplayer is also pretty good in my opinion and loving all the new maps so far. I'd have to play them a lot more but good to see that there is some nice presentation throughout. Also specifically to the campaign, props to whoever worked on the actor faces. I did not expect such quality in their facial expressions with their current engine. Sure it isn't LA Noire quality but still very well done. Treyarch has done some fantastic work here.

#17 Posted by Mars (310 posts) -

Having lost almost all interest in this series thanks to MW3, I don't even know why I bought it other than I'm an avid gamer. That being said, Wow! I have been having a great time with this game so far. I'm only a few missions into the campaign, which seems fine, but the multiplayer is where I'm (surprisingly) finding the most enjoyment. I think the map design is phenomenal! It feels like there are many more options for getting around each area and I have yet to feel like I'm constantly being killed immediately after spawning. Although I can't quite put my finger on it, something about the "killing" feels different. Rarely do I have the "that's bullsh!t" response to an engagement. Most of my deaths I can easily attribute to a misstep on my part.

#18 Posted by BasketSnake (1194 posts) -

Can anyone answer my very specific question? MW2 is my favorite fps of all time just because of the smaller maps and the fast gameplay. The first black ops went with a slower paced gameplay and larger maps. MW3 is somewhere in between. It's a little bit slower than MW2 is it not? Where do you place Black ops 2? I need that fast gameplay from MW2 on those small maps. None of the other CoD games has that in my opinion. Is Black ops 2 anywhere near MW2 when it comes to how fast the multiplayer is?

#19 Posted by xxizzypop (577 posts) -

I'm finding myself to still be out, but I've really enjoyed my experience with what I've played. The campaign plays like CoD, but sounds way more interesting on account of things that Jeff has already described. I don't like zombies, but I dabbled -- still zombies. The multiplayer though was almost enough for me to turn around the day of renting the game, returning it, and just purchasing a copy. It is oddly addictive, I like a good portion of the map design and how they've at least carried on their previous modes like Gun Game, and it's is absurdly fast paced in a way I'm enjoying while not carrying the lag that I've grown accustomed to in previous games, even in the larger Ground War matches. The Pick 10 feature is interesting and has been a cool way to allow me to spec out classes that are entirely stupid but somehow effective.

It feels nice, but I just don't have a crew that I rock the multiplayer with anymore, so I may pass on purchasing, but it was at least nice to know that Call of Duty still has some flavor for me.

#20 Posted by TooSweet (381 posts) -

I originally wasn't going to buy it since for me Blops1 and MW3 were bad. But the multiplayer on this was fun. So it's a buy. I've only played multiplayer though. I may go back and play the blops 1 compaign at least so I can go through this one after.

#21 Posted by Svenzon (718 posts) -

Liking it quite a bit actually. I just wish the Strike Force missions were handled better. Right now they're way too chaotic, stressful and downright broken to be enjoyable. A shame, since it is a cool idea.

#22 Posted by MightyDuck (1521 posts) -

I'm enjoying it, but I feel like I liked Black Ops 1 more.

I found the black ops 1 maps more enjoyable. The one thing that is annoying me though, is I felt like I was pretty decent in Black Ops 1, but I can't get kills to save my life in Black Ops 2.

#23 Posted by TooSweet (381 posts) -

@MightyDuck:

I'm the opposite. I couldn't get kills in the first game but this one is working just fine for me. Then again, I played the last one on PS3 and this one on 360. Not sure if it makes a difference in the connections. All I know is that I gave up on Blops1. Once I get into a groove in the new one it's pretty good.

#24 Posted by Quipido (633 posts) -

Well I bought every CoD game since Modern Warfare and actally liked them all - for the story, even if they are so silly, and for the gameplay (finished all on veteran, including Mile High Club), but this one seems just bad to me. I loved first Black Ops, but for some reason I am not enjoying this sequel. I will finish it tommorow just to see it through and sell it. I am all for over the top, non realistic action, but some stuff in here is just over the line and not in a good way. 2 stars

#25 Posted by Devise22 (213 posts) -

After buying the original Black Ops and only playing it for roughly a month I knew my time was up. I had started to feel the fatigue right after my time with Modern Warfare 2. I knew what would happen since Activision has followed script to a tee with most of their other popular franchises. Tony Hawk and Guitar Hero and their fates spelled out to me a new Call of Duty game every year until the series stopped selling. I knew after Black Ops and the Infinity Ward drama that the game would basically be the same thing every year minus a few gimmicky twists on the formula.

With all that in mind I skipped MW3 and did not purchase a Call of Duty game in a few years. I had absolutely zero interest in Black Ops 2. Then I watched the Quick Look and was reminded that despite the fact that the series is nothing more than a cash in, it preys on what works about that system. It's quick and easy to play, you constantly feel like you are accomplishing something in it's RPG lite elements of the multi player and it burns time quite easily. I ended up getting Black Ops 2 and while I'm not super proud of it I'm still kind of meh about it. I play it, semi regularly. It's more Call of Duty. The pick 10 class system is neat but not groundbreaking. At the end of the day for me it is one of those purchases where I won't hate myself for making simply because at the time...and even now still I felt like scratching that itch that I haven't scratched in a few years. But it doesn't change the inevitable fate of the series, or the genre.

We are waiting for the next step in online multiplayer and it doesn't look like Activision or any of it's in house development will get it done. It's pretty much Respawn or Bungie and what they do for the future that I think everyone is the most intrigued about.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.