nuketown 24/7 gone?

• 70 results
#1 Edited by xdaknightx69 (450 posts) -

so the nuketown map was the pre order bonus and now the option to play on the 24/7 "server" are gone. so what was the pre order thing about? i kind of feel cheated.

Edit: The Chaos Moshpit playlist has Carrier, Cargo, Express, Hijacked, Slums, Standoff, and Nuketown 2025.

#2 Edited by jbuchan76 (156 posts) -

I kinda feel cheated too.. I love that map. thats the only reason I'm even playing multiplayer.

What was the point of pre-ordering if they're just going to take the map away? So they take our money and now they take our fun?

David Vonderhaar ‏DavidVonderhaar

Double XP weekend is official over. That means Nuketown 2025 / 24-7 is as well. I know. RIGHT? Don't kill the messenger. +

Edit: tweet #Nuketown2025 and @treyarch to express your frustration

#3 Posted by Metal_Mills (3046 posts) -

That's really scummy. Just pre-order bait. 24/7 apparently means a few days now.

#4 Posted by laserbolts (5365 posts) -

That is pretty rotten. I got nuketown even though I didn't pre order so I guess I can't really complain. Still to those that give a shit about nuketown this must suck.

#5 Posted by UnrealDP (1221 posts) -

Wait, what? Are CoD servers disgustingly expensive to run or something? I don't see why they can't just keep the servers going without the double XP. This is laaaaaaaaame.

#6 Posted by vikingdeath1 (1003 posts) -

that's kinda shitty, got Blops 2 on day 1 but I haven't touched the multiplayer (only interested in that campaign) but for people who care that's a bunch of jackassery

#7 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Are you telling me they got rid of the Nuketown 2025 playlist in multiplayer? Is it grayed out, or did they remove the entire thing? After looking through the above-posted Twitter account, does that apply to every playlist using that map? I selected the Moshpit mode in the Nuketown 2025 playlist, so that's why I ask.

On one hand I can understand why they'd take it out, since even without the double xp boost, you would still level-up relatively fast. It makes sense, at least as I can see from their perspective, to bring it out during special events only and lock it down on the "off-season" so to speak. But still, that's a shame they took it away without giving some sort of warning beforehand.

#8 Posted by scalpel (314 posts) -

You really only wanted to play one map?

#9 Posted by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -

@UnrealDP said:

Wait, what? Are CoD servers disgustingly expensive to run or something? I don't see why they can't just keep the servers going without the double XP. This is laaaaaaaaame.

No they don't host servers themselves, the game picks a player to be host.

#10 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

@UnrealDP said:

Are CoD servers disgustingly expensive to run or something?

P2P hosting does not require servers.

#11 Posted by Lord_Xp (606 posts) -

@scalpel said:

You really only wanted to play one map?

It's a fun fast paced map. That's what I like about it at least when I'm not partying with friends. My friends aren't always on so now it's not as fun playing the game for me.

#12 Posted by graboids (217 posts) -

Man, this pisses me off so much, and in so many ways. Nuketown wasn't the only reason I bought the game but it IS the reason I pre-ordered, I won't fall for that again.

#13 Posted by Herocide (440 posts) -

I thought the 7 in 24/7 meant 7 days, not a weekend.

#14 Posted by CatsAkimbo (644 posts) -

This is messed up. I know a couple people who haven't even gotten the game because of slow shipping, and now they totally missed it until the next "special event." Pre-order shit is the worst.

#15 Posted by themangalist (1747 posts) -

So far only the thread OP confirmed this has happened. Everyone else is just freakin out and dissing Activision, which i don't mind, but it'd be better to hear from someone if this is actually the case and would it stay for long.

#16 Posted by Dixavd (1369 posts) -

@rebgav said:

They've just removed the playlist. You still have the map and can play it all you want in custom games. It'll probably get rolled out in dlc playlists and future double XP weekends, not sure why people are freaking out about it.

I think it is because people paid upfront and then are now told they can't use their map online.

For instance, my sister bought it this weekend instead of waiting a month because they told her that they had a couple spare codes to get another map for the online multiplayer which she wouldn't get later - now the day after she can no longer play it online. If they had advertised it as a launch day/weekend deal then it would be fine - but that isn't how they did it.

I don't personally play CoD games and have a limited understanding on how its multiplayer structure works - but this does seem pretty shitty to me.

#17 Posted by Arker101 (1472 posts) -

For the life of me, I can't understand why they removed it. It was a small fast paced map, which inherently means faster XP, but if that was the problem, why not just adjust the values like they do for other playlists? If the problem was population splitting then why not just throw it in the normal rotation for players who have it?

If they are doing this to make an incentive to buy the next map pack/season pass, that would have to be the shittiest anti-consumer practice.

#18 Posted by RustySanderke (117 posts) -

"24 hours a day, 7 days a week, we never close." A blatant lie. I'm still enjoying the game, but they've definitely lost some goodwill.

#19 Posted by CatsAkimbo (644 posts) -

@rebgav said:

...though they're still free to start a Nuketown custom game.

If you can't matchmake into it, then it's basically gone because it's so difficult to organize a group to play it. It's like how gungame/one in the chamber were technically in MW3, but because there was no matchmaking for it, it was just useless.

#20 Edited by Death_Burnout (3800 posts) -

Holy fuck! I am completely disgusted by this. I mean for one it was available before the double XP weekend...technically only 6 days, not even 7.

@rebgav said:

Maybe they'll give the Nuketown 2025 map away at some point so that everyone does have it and then they can slip the map into the rotation proper. Either that, or give it away with the first map pack and include it in the playlist for that.

That is the ONLY acceptable thing to do, everyone should have it already anyway, otherwise I fully endorse giving Treyarch shit about it.

Just this, nothing but this.

#21 Posted by xMrSunshine (364 posts) -

Christ what a fucking dick move. You can't matchmake into custom games and the only way to play it that way is with friends or through invites from random people?

Maaaaan that is just a whole new level of awful in this whole pre-ordering scam. I really hope that gaming related websites pick up on this and that it doesn't go unnoticed (which it wont considering just the sheer amount of people who play these games). Treyarch fucking has to come up with a reason for this don't they? No matter the actual reason they have to say something along the lines "yeah we messed up, here have a extra week of double XP".

I CAN'T GET OVER HOW FUCKED THIS IS IF IT'S ACTUALLY TRUE.

#22 Edited by Garfield518 (401 posts) -

Why are people calling this a pre-order scam? Nuketown wasn't a pre-order map, it was a free map that came with every launch copy of the game - in other words, every copy until Christmas.

#23 Posted by HairyMike87 (1016 posts) -

@Garfield518: Maybe it falls on the stores and sites that advertized that Nuketown would be a bonus for pre-ordering. I think I remember GameStop using it as a bonus along with naming new bonuses every couple weeks or so. If it wasn't Treyarch who said it was for pre-ordering, then it was sites making it seem like it was for doing so.

#24 Edited by SpaceInsomniac (3901 posts) -
@Garfield518 said:

Why are people calling this a pre-order scam? Nuketown wasn't a pre-order map, it was a free map that came with every launch copy of the game - in other words, every copy until Christmas.

It's actually every first-run copy, which might not last until Christmas.  And even if it was included in every copy for the next year, two things remain true: 

1) Activsion HEAVILY promoted the game with--and this is an exact quote--"pre order now and get the Nuketown 2025 bonus map."
2) Not every area of the world got the map outside of a preorder.  Some versions flat out do not have the map. 

@jbuchan76  said: 

David Vonderhaar ‏DavidVonderhaar

Double XP weekend is official over. That means Nuketown 2025 / 24-7 is as well. I know. RIGHT? Don't kill the messenger.

Yeah, people say that when they are only delivering news, and don't have the power to change anything.  I'm pretty sure that doesn't apply here.
#25 Posted by KoolAid (1029 posts) -

I'm usually more understanding when stuff like this happens because I understand that there a lot of technical reasons why games don't always work as we think they should and the developers would have it be better if they could. But damn.... this is way fucked up. I'm mean, that's like strait up false advertising. We can technically play the map in custom games... but come on. Don't talk to us like we are dumb, we want to played in ranked MP and its pretty much was implied that what we were going to be able to do that. I don't see any reason why we can't. I mean, its not like they are trying to sell us the map later right, we already have it! So why do it? Just seems like a really dumb and fucked up move.

#26 Posted by believer258 (12176 posts) -

Throw my vote in for "that's FUCKED".

#27 Edited by xMrSunshine (364 posts) -

This got posted on Kotaku so shit's about to hit a massive fan now that it's spreading to everyone and not just people who own BLOPS 2. I'm really interested in why this happened and I mean the real reason, not the marketing man's reason of someone pushed a button somewhere that they shouldn't have but it's ok now.

@Garfield518 said:

It was technically a pre-order thing and it was definitely marketed as such. Every copy that shipped to stores before the release had the copy so the only way to get it was to either pre-order it or roll the dice and see if you would get one of the left over pre-launch copies. You know, like all the "Collector's Edition" or "Pro Elite Edition" or "whatever the stupid name is" versions that happen these days. At least that's how it is in my neck of the woods.

#28 Posted by Dayve86 (54 posts) -

Can you still get the map on PC version?

#29 Posted by HoboZero (214 posts) -

I don't play CoDBLOPS2 (but I love saying the acronym), but I had to check the forum to see if this was true when I heard it. Wow. Shit tornado incoming, I guess. Unbelievably bone-headed PR move. The playlist was "Nuketown 24/7"... Didn't the game come out 6 days ago? So... 24/6?

#30 Posted by Death_Burnout (3800 posts) -

@HoboZero: Yes! that's what I said, 6 days! Not even 7. So silly.

#31 Edited by MstrMnyBgs (128 posts) -

The description of the playlist in game definitely did say 24/7

#32 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

This is bullshit.

#33 Posted by Barrabas (326 posts) -

Is it just the 24/7 playlist that's gone or the map itself?

If it's the map itself it will most likely be back. You don't put the resources into making an update of a beloved map for it only to be temporary. Though it wouldn't surprise me if they make you pay for it.

#34 Posted by MstrMnyBgs (128 posts) -

@Barrabas said:

Is it just the 24/7 playlist that's gone or the map itself?

If it's the map itself it will most likely be back. You don't put the resources into making an update of a beloved map for it only to be temporary. Though it wouldn't surprise me if they make you pay for it.

They removed the playlist, so the only way to play the map is in a custom game. And they stated that they plan to add it back during double xp weekends and special events. All this according to that twitter post earlier.

#35 Posted by UnrealDP (1221 posts) -

@JoelTGM: @Canteu: Oh shit, right. Well now this is even more inexplicable. I pretty apparently know next to nothing about running CoD, but this still seems endlessly shitty on their part.

#36 Posted by HoboZero (214 posts) -

@rebgav: OK, um, how about: "24/7? Guess their Prime customers won't be Happy!" 'Cause 7 is a Happy Prime... get it...? Hmm... maybe I'll workshop that one.

Math humor's hard...

#37 Edited by Death_Burnout (3800 posts) -

@Barrabas: It's the playlist, not the map. If it was the map that would be quite ludicrous. It's just in custom games now, which renders it completely useless. They say it'll be back for future double XP weekends, but that's no good.

Who knows how often they will be, and Nuketown is so boosty to begin with, double XP just makes me feel like I'm cheating myself. I'm already halfway through prestige 1 (which is nothing anyway) but I've never gotten that far in any CoD, ever.

Edit: sorry, it's already been said whilst writing this.

#38 Posted by Barrabas (326 posts) -

@MstrMnyBgs: @Death_Burnout: Oh ok. Kotaku's story made it sound like the actual map itself was gone. I should have known it was just that site being its normal terrible self. Still sucks for people who thought they had that playlist forever.

#39 Posted by Death_Burnout (3800 posts) -

@Barrabas: Yeah I noticed that article neglected to mention that. That'll be helpful!

#40 Edited by MHumphreys89 (724 posts) -

As someone who only plays Public matches this is a rip-off. I don't proclaim to love or even like the Nuketown map, but to remove it from the Playlists without fore-warning, man...Fuck Activision! No wonder this company has a bad reputation.

#41 Posted by addictedtopinescent (3645 posts) -

Wait what? That was the pre-order bonus and now you can't play it at all? Or is it just gone for now due to some fuckup?

If they just took it away, that's fucking retarded, what sense does it make to take out the map people like so much a 24/7 playlist of it was created in the first place.

#42 Posted by Dethfish (3696 posts) -

Calling it a pre-order bonus is pretty stupid since the code seems to currently be in every new copy of the game (at least from what I've heard). It just seems like it's their version of an online pass.

If they would of just put the map on the fucking disc they could of transitioned the map into normal playlists, but no, they gotta get them pre-orders.

#43 Edited by KillerClaw (70 posts) -

For anyone who is confused or doesn't want to read the rest of the thread;

The Nuketown 2025 multiplayer map no longer has a public playlist and has not be introduced into the regular map cycle. The only way to play it now is through custom games.

It was given as a pre-order bonus and is supposed to be given to season-pass buyers in December.

Activision has said this it may re-appear in future double-XP weekends and special events.

#44 Edited by MstrMnyBgs (128 posts) -

People need to stop saying that it isn't a pre-order bonus because it is still in shelved copies.

You need to realize that 1) it was marketed as a pre-order bonus, and 2) it is in those shelved copies because those were still the ones received before release date, aka the same production cycle as the pre-orders. If you buy the game in a week or two, it is almost an assured thing that the code will not be in there.

EDIT: Unless they truly do include it in every single copy from now on, in which they have a bigger issue on their hand where they just flat out mis-marketed a pre-order bouns

#45 Posted by Vinny_Says (5721 posts) -

So I got the code in the box without any pre-order....the back of the box actually says Nuketown 2025 included. Was it really pre-order only?

#46 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4284 posts) -

Oh wow that sucks........  Im considering not getting the game now because it probably wouldve been my favourite map

#47 Posted by WilliamHenry (1216 posts) -

@Vinny_Says said:

So I got the code in the box without any pre-order....the back of the box actually says Nuketown 2025 included. Was it really pre-order only?

In this case, pre-order doesn't literally mean pre-order. It means all copies of the game produced before release date.

#48 Posted by Apathylad (3067 posts) -
#49 Posted by Demoskinos (15131 posts) -

According to what I'm reading on twitter the playlist is back up due to Treyarch realizing they just pissed off a large chunk of fans. I don't have the game myself. Anyone care to confirm?

#50 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7184 posts) -

Was it indicated at all that it would be eventually taken away? To me it didn't seem like it, but I don't follow Call of Duty that closely.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.