Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Black Ops II

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 13, 2012

The Black Ops storyline continues, switching the past Cold War from the game's predecessor to future 2025, as a new Cold War between U.S.A. and China flares up due to the actions of one vengeful drug-runner.

PC version?

xMrSunshine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By xMrSunshine

First BLOPS's multiplayer ran like garbage that was on fire on my computer (and on a lot of other people's computers as well) and there was never a fix for it at least I didn't find one when I still cared about it. Basically what would happen was that I'd load the second multiplayer map during my game session and it would just not load and then eventually I had to force the game to quit. Multiplayer performance was pretty poor in general with hitches and weird and constant serious FPS drops even though the singleplayer ran fine and my computer exceeded the requirements easily.

So how's BLOPS 2, is the garbage still on fire? What about the server browser? Is there one or is it matchmaking and if there is no matchmaking is the server system like in BLOPS where you had to buy a server from certain sellers and you couldn't put up your own box?

Avatar image for imsorrymsjackson
    Imsorrymsjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Imsorrymsjackson

Seems fine to me, no FPS drops, matchmaking works fine, nothing to complain about yet but like the duder above me, Black Ops the first ran completely problem free for me as well.

CannonGoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By CannonGoose

The first Black Ops ran poorly for a lot of people because it was built using a version of DirectX that was optimised for Windows XP, so if you had XP you were fine but otherwise you'd get frame drops. I'm going to assume that Black Ops 2 doesn't have this issue.

xMrSunshine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By xMrSunshine

@CannonGoose: Oh ok, that would explain it then as I was running it on Vista.

Thanks for the answers guys, good to hear there's no huge problems.

doomocrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By doomocrat

The system requirements are pretty light. If you have anything above an nVidia 8800 GT or an AMD 4850 with a modern (Core 2 or later) dual core you should expect good frame rates.

murisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By murisan

Wasn't DX11 supposed to be in the game? It's totally not. Also, the textures are complete shit in singleplayer.

Avatar image for weegieanawrench
    weegieanawrench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By weegieanawrench

@murisan: Direct X 11 is exclusive to Windows 8 =/.

I'm having issues with the singleplayer side of Blops 2 on PC. Every few minutes it'll hitch up for 5-10 seconds before resuming play. The game also hitches up during cutscenes, and the video tends to lag behind the audio. I'm running a pretty good rig, so I shouldn't be encountering these problems, but hopefully Treyarch will release patches that fix this issue. I'm also kind peeved about the max resolution being set to 1680x1050.

Dezztroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Dezztroy

@weegieanawrench said:

No it's not.

Unless you mean in this game specifically. But Treyarch putting an arbitrary limit like that would be really stupid.

fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By fripplebubby

@Dezztroy said:

@weegieanawrench said:

No it's not.

Unless you mean in this game specifically. But Treyarch putting an arbitrary limit like that would be really stupid.

He's actually talking about DirectX 11.1.

devitiffany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By devitiffany

The PC version seems to be fine, however if you buy a retail copy there is a chance you might end up with Mass Effect 2.

ascagnel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By ascagnel

@rebgav said:

I haven't seen a server browser, seems to be just matchmaking.

I don't think you can run/buy your own server at all, at least not at the moment.

Multiplayer runs fine and the frame-rate is solid for me, though I didn't have any problems with the first Blops either.

Framerate is super-smooth for me. The killer has been that it feels like there's some lag comp going on (which comes over from the console versions), and its absolutely killing me (I have a good Fios connection, and there's no way for me to get a ping readout). There's already been plenty of times where I've been shot from around corners or had the dreaded "all the bullets at once" impact that comes along with lag comp.

Lag comp is a pretty un-PC-like thing, and its annoying. Black Ops 1 for PC didn't have it (I fired it up just to make sure), and the game feels way smoother on a good connection.

Crysack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Crysack

Game is utterly broken on 5-series nvidia cards - especially the 580 GTX, it seems. Everyone who has one is getting a crash at the beginning of mission 2 and crashes a few minutes after starting a multiplayer match.

justicejanitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By justicejanitor

@Crysack said:

Game is utterly broken on 5-series nvidia cards - especially the 580 GTX, it seems. Everyone who has one is getting a crash at the beginning of mission 2 and crashes a few minutes after starting a multiplayer match.

I've been playing with a GTX 570 and haven't run into any issues at all. The game feels like a quick console port but it's a competent one.

Toxeia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Toxeia

@murisan: You should go into the settings and change the texture resolution from Automatic, mayhaps. It looks great on my computer.

As for the thing about Black Ops I, I never had issues with it when I played it on Vista or 7, so... don't know what the deal was then. Looking at my friend's PS3 running it and at my PC though, I definitely ended up with the superior version.

richardnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By richardnixon

Shit is borked. Worked fine last night and then I try to play today and the patch number on the multiplayer main menu reverted to 19.0.-1 and I can't connect to multiplayer. Google has turned up no fix.

Toxeia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Toxeia

@RichardNixon: Verify your game data. Working fine here.

Subbeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Subbeh

Anyone having trouble connecting? MP and Zombies just give a cannot connect, servers down message.

Validated files, made sure access has been allowed through the firewall but no luck yet.

*Edit* Nevermind, deleting and reinstalling seemed to do the trick.

xMrSunshine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By xMrSunshine

Awesome to see that the game is as broken as Call of Duty has been since World at War. Good good good, I'm more and more happier with my decision to keep on ignoring this franchise.

Also is it me or are the guns FUCKING HUGE? Like on BLOPS 2 TNT the magnum looking gun that Jeff used in Gun Game was SO GOD DAMN BIG. It took like a fourth or so of the screen space. FOV seems super consoley which I guess is an obvious thing. Maybe it's just my mind playing tricks since I played through Halo CE on the PC recently and in it I could set the FOV myself and I like it wiiiide.

SpudBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By SpudBug

no problems here on GTX670. Looks better mainly in resolution than the xbox verison, but it seems like I run into people cheating on PC - nothing egregious, but their aim seems more laser pinpoint accurate and the bullets don't spread like they do in the Xbox. Maybe that's just the mouse control though.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#20  Edited By Giantstalker

I've been playing the game a bit on a 680GTX, no issues thusfar. The game plays and controls great except for the occasional laggy player I encounter.

I have no issue with the gun sizes but an FOV option would be nice, I guess. Especially for those of us with dual or triple displays.

Codeacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21  Edited By Codeacious

@Giantstalker: There is an FOV option, it just only goes up to 80. One of the devs said it'll be upped to 90 in the next PC patch.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MiniPato

@xMrSunshine said:

Awesome to see that the game is as broken as Call of Duty has been since World at War. Good good good, I'm more and more happier with my decision to keep on ignoring this franchise.

Also is it me or are the guns FUCKING HUGE? Like on BLOPS 2 TNT the magnum looking gun that Jeff used in Gun Game was SO GOD DAMN BIG. It took like a fourth or so of the screen space. FOV seems super consoley which I guess is an obvious thing. Maybe it's just my mind playing tricks since I played through Halo CE on the PC recently and in it I could set the FOV myself and I like it wiiiide.

Just played some multiplayer today, and it runs perfectly fine on PC. No FPS drops, no lag. It's still in the release week, so some hiccups are expected. But yea, no issues whatsoever, and it's double exp weekend, so I assume lots of people were jumping on today.

So if you need something to base your decision on, base it on whether or not you like Call Of Duty. Cause the core game isn't that wildly different multiplayer-wise. Enjoying the multiplayer so far. I haven't bought a CoD game since MW2, so I haven't had that fatigue of same old-rehash that everyone else does.

xMrSunshine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By xMrSunshine

@MiniPato: Release day hiccups aren't acceptable in a PC FPS at least not ones that are related to a lot of players being online at the same time. People should be able to run their own servers so that there wouldn't be shit like that and not suffer from a awful matchmaking system that limits the console versions.

It's not as simple as basing a decision on if I like or dislike the Call of Duty franchise because there are things in it that I like at least conceptually but there are a lot of things that I seriously dislike. It's a matter of finding the flaws and then deciding if I can deal with the and enjoy the game. From the look of things I would not be able to do that because of all the garbage in it.

@Codeacious: Seems stupid to even have an option for it if it only goes up to 80. What's the lowest it can go? 20? 90 in my opinion is the sweet spot for a lot of FPS games on the PC or at least it's for me. Anything lower than that and I need to whip my camera around too much to see what's happening around me, I don't mind it being higher than 90 unless it starts to distort the world.

ze_ro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ze_ro

So...for me...

Singleplayer has constant fps drops, it's playable but annoying.

Multiplayer runs really smooth fps wise... BUT... there is a slight mouse input lag problem I'm having, and being this kind of game, even the slightest mouse lag renders the game unplayable. I have a beast pc, that is not and issue and I have made all possible tweaks with no luck. Whenever I reinstall the nvidia drivers I can play with no input lag until I quit the game, when I start the game again the mouse lag is back.

Other than that 'small' problem, I was positively surprised (excluding the singleplayer, we all know it's garbage)...I feel the map design is mostly excellent. I played Blops and some MW3 on a console and this is much more fast-paced, and I feel right at home. The gadgets are fun and handguns are OP. Also it has KRISS Vector.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MiniPato

@xMrSunshine said:

@MiniPato: Release day hiccups aren't acceptable in a PC FPS at least not ones that are related to a lot of players being online at the same time. People should be able to run their own servers so that there wouldn't be shit like that and not suffer from a awful matchmaking system that limits the console versions.

It's not as simple as basing a decision on if I like or dislike the Call of Duty franchise because there are things in it that I like at least conceptually but there are a lot of things that I seriously dislike. It's a matter of finding the flaws and then deciding if I can deal with the and enjoy the game. From the look of things I would not be able to do that because of all the garbage in it.

Well release day hiccups seems like a moot point since it's past that now. CoD is hardly the first and only PC multiplayer game to have launch day issues.

I've only played CoD multiplayer on consoles before, so I really don't take issue with the matchmaking and lack of server browser. Maybe I just have low standards, but it does not hinder my enjoyment of the game in the least.

@ze_ro said:

So...for me...

Singleplayer has constant fps drops, it's playable but annoying.

Multiplayer runs really smooth fps wise... BUT... there is a slight mouse input lag problem I'm having, and being this kind of game, even the slightest mouse lag renders the game unplayable. I have a beast pc, that is not and issue and I have made all possible tweaks with no luck. Whenever I reinstall the nvidia drivers I can play with no input lag until I quit the game, when I start the game again the mouse lag is back.

Did you turn v-sync off in single player? The settings are separate for SP, MP, and zombies, so you have to retweek for each one.

ze_ro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ze_ro

@MiniPato said:

Did you turn v-sync off in single player? The settings are separate for SP, MP, and zombies, so you have to retweek for each one.

...yeah I know.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By Justin258

There was a servrer browser in mw3 PC, but it was kind of hidden. Maybe it's the same case here?

McDunkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By McDunkin

I'm on a 500 series nVidia card and this game crashes all the time. I tried updating to the new 310 beta drivers/turning everything on low but it doesn't seem to help. This game is broken.

Nadril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Nadril

Running a 560GTX and the game runs perfectly. 60+ FPS and no connection issues.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.