Pentagon already wants Black Ops 2 Quadrotor Drone

#1 Posted by Citizengamer (177 posts) -

I interviewed Peter Singer (Brookings Institute defense expert and author of "Wired for War") last week about his work for Black Ops 2, and he mentioned this fun tidbit -- an (unnamed) Pentagon office was inspired enough by the game's armed quadrotor drone to consider the possibility of making it a reality.

Downtown Los Angeles is being torn apart by hijacked U.S. military robots. The U.S. and China are locked in a new Cold War over control of rare earth minerals. It's a chilling glimpse of the world in 2025, but luckily it's just a video game — at least until the U.S. military turns one of the game's fictional drones into reality.

The upcoming video game "Call of Duty: Black Ops 2" has somehow managed to inspire the U.S. military well before hitting store shelves in November. Treyarch, the game's producer, released a viral marketing video on April 23 showing a mock "real-life" demonstration of an armed quadrotor drone similar to flying robots featured in the game. That led a Pentagon office to wonder if the U.S. military could make the same thing, said Peter Singer, director of the 21st Century Defense Initiative at the Brookings Institute.

See rest of article here, or check out the version on this site if you don't want to click through a survey question.

#2 Posted by Lego_My_Eggo (921 posts) -

The military have been working on drones of all kinds for some time now that are capable of much more then that ad. I doubt Call of Duty inspired them with that viral ad and this is just a headline to get hits.

#3 Posted by Jimbo (9712 posts) -

To help them solve the mysteries of the mighty Barbarians?

#4 Posted by Wampa1 (593 posts) -

@Jimbo: It's to solve the mystery of the mighty Opfor I believe. You can play discover how gun shoot!

#5 Posted by Giantstalker (1447 posts) -

To be fair, the Pentagon wants a lot of things, only a fraction of which they actually end up getting.

#6 Posted by Commisar123 (1786 posts) -

I'm sure they already want a Star Destroyer, Master Chief's armor, and the Green Lantern rings, doesn't mean they are going to get it.

#7 Posted by Veektarius (4164 posts) -

@Commisar123: Hypothetical: If we had a Star Destroyer, would we invade Iran?

#8 Posted by Silvergun (297 posts) -

@Jimbo said:

To help them solve the mysteries of the mighty Barbarians?

No, just the Riddle of Steel.

#9 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

@Veektarius said:

@Commisar123: Hypothetical: If we had a Star Destroyer, would we invade Iran?

You fool.. Iran is small game. With that power, we can TAKE OVER THE WORLD!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.