Serious Question: Why do you keep buying Call of Duty games?

• 159 results
#1 Posted by Chaoticarsonist (33 posts) -

NOTE: I am not trying to bash this franchise or anything. I am just trying to satisfy my own curiosity.

Why do people keep buying Call of Duty games? They are decent games, but what makes all of you come back to this franchise, year after year? After all, it's not like there are that many changes made from one game to the next.

This is an experiment of sorts. Can anyone here give me a concise answer as to why this series sells as well as it does?

#2 Posted by laserbolts (5324 posts) -

The same reason I buy any game, because they are fun to play and I feel I get a great value out of them.

#3 Posted by spilledmilkfactory (1882 posts) -

Because they're fun, especially the campaigns.

#4 Edited by TooWalrus (13221 posts) -

Sometimes, that style of game just sounds like fun. There's not much more to it than that, really. For me, that time is about every two years. I skipped MW3, but I might be back in for Black Ops II. As usual, I'll probably buy it, play it for a couple of weeks, and shelf it.

#5 Posted by bibamatt (1089 posts) -

Dat multiplayer.

#6 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

Because they're fun. The gameplay does change a bit and I enjoy story mode, Zombies and Spec ops.

#7 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

Because they're fun to play with my buddies.

#8 Posted by Hamst3r (4493 posts) -

I played the COD 4 campaign and it was alright. I haven't played any other entries in the series.

#9 Posted by Dagbiker (6977 posts) -

Why do you assume I buy Call of Duty games?

#10 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

They're fun? Also Blops was great. I want more crazy Cold War sleeper agent games in my life.

#11 Posted by j0lter (237 posts) -

Because it's top dog. Like apple. We may hate their products, but they're the leader of the pack.

#12 Posted by Sackmanjones (4711 posts) -

It's not like they are bad. If people want more of the same, there is no better series than that Call of Duty.

#13 Posted by shivermetimbers (774 posts) -

Because people enjoy them and expect a quality product regardless if it's pretty much more of the same with small tweaks.

#14 Posted by bibamatt (1089 posts) -

I feel like we're totally due a backlash to the backlash of Call of Duty. Like, everyone went bananas for COD4. Modern Warfare was really well received, too. Since then, the backlash has come thick and fast. But, maybe it's approaching the time for people to go "yeah, those games are pretty good. Pretty pretty good".

*shrugs* I dunno. I was tired of the series by the time Blops and MW3 came around. But the changes to Blops 2 multiplayer are drawing me in again...

#15 Posted by believer258 (11949 posts) -

'Cause, generally speaking, they're fun. Fucking stupid, yes, but that doesn't make them any less fun.

Besides, BlOps 2 seems to be at least trying to shake things up more than we've seen since CoD4.

#16 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

I only ever bought one CoD game.

#17 Posted by Grillbar (1849 posts) -

because i liked them though not mw3 the only reason i bought that one was there was nothing else to play, and i hoped that it could atleast be some mindless fun for some amount of time, i was wrong. still gonna buy black ops 2 since i like what i see.

#18 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

MW2: Wanted to try this new version of the old Call of Duty franchise. 

Black Ops: Zombies sounded cool (wasn't), got to stab people with a flying jump dive ballistic knife.

Still prefer Halo/Timesplitters.

#19 Posted by Spoonman671 (4648 posts) -

Call of Duty 4 is the last one I bought.

#20 Posted by MyNiceIceLife (623 posts) -

blops was the last one i bought for myself and played. i buy them for my dad cause he likes them, but i haven't played mw3 and won't be playing blops2.

#21 Posted by AbeTheGreatest (132 posts) -

They're the games I play when I want to listen to music or something and zone out

#22 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Chaoticarsonist said:

Why do people keep buying Call of Duty games? They are decent games

There ya go.

#23 Posted by RE_Player1 (7561 posts) -

I buy them because they are fun but I don't buy them every year. I basically only buy the Treyarch games because I feel like they try to push it to the limit with every release. Call of Duty 4 was the only Infinity Ward game I truly enjoyed and Blacks Ops in my opinion is the pinnacle of the series. Looking forward to Black Ops 2 even though I don't give a shit about zombies.

#24 Posted by mlarrabee (2972 posts) -

I played more MW2 multiplayer than I've played any other game. It was a ton of fun, and I was quite capable in it.

I bought Black Ops because I think Treyarch is working to expand the series in unusual, and sometimes downright classic ways. Diving to prone reminds me of all the FPSs that had lean mechanics in the late '90s and early 2000s. I had no interest in the zombie mode, and I still don't.

I purchased MW3 purely for the story. The campaign didn't look great, and I think I've played maybe six full multiplayer rounds, but I wanted to see the storyline through to completion.

Despite Treyarch's continued innovation and experimentation, I won't be back for Black Ops 2, and even more so for whatever Infinity Ward and Sledgehammer Games come up with next.

Same goes for Halo: I've played every Halo game to date, including Anniversary, and I've enjoyed each of them in turn. In fact, since I'm not one for Halo multiplayer in any iteration, Halo 2 is the weakest in the entire series for me. But I likely won't be back for Halo 4, not because it won't be really good but because I'm ready for something new.

#25 Posted by Village_Guy (2599 posts) -

Because they are fun, I was disappointed with Modern Warfare 3 though, but Black Ops 2 looks like it is doing things to advance the series, in all the aspects of it actually.

#26 Posted by DharmaBum (1049 posts) -

Because it's an accessible shooter and caters to the lowest common denominator.

#27 Posted by bybeach (4848 posts) -

I do feel bad about buying that last MW...surprisingly though I have kind of taken a liking to the Black Ops, at least the first one. The hint of both crazy and Big picture extravaganza seems to be carrying over to Black Ops2 going by the trailers.

#28 Posted by goatmilk (181 posts) -

I bought MW3 purely because it was $15 from a Russian site and a friend had spent $90 and I felt like being a dick.

#29 Posted by Snail (8607 posts) -

@j0lter said:

Because it's top dog. Like apple. We may hate their products, but they're the leader of the pack.

Battlefield 3 is an incredibly better game than MW3, and so much more fun.

#30 Posted by HistoryInRust (6323 posts) -

Because I'm a simple man who is easily entertained.

#31 Posted by Nightriff (5101 posts) -

Modern Warfare 2 was the last one I bought at launch. I play them for the story and since the story is second to the multiplayer I just stopped getting them right away. Usually either rent them and/or buy them a year or 2 down the road.

#32 Posted by M_Shini (551 posts) -

I might end up buying Black ops 2, my reason? the only cod games ive ever bought was cod big red one and black ops 1, so i haven't been burnt out by the series and see it for the fun that can be had. I had a fun time with blops and when i played it i could play it on a decent competitive level. I will play it until at least the first map pack comes out then ditch it, probably sooner since i only tend to stick to most multiplayer games for a week or two,im hoping Mech Warrior comes out of beta by then do i can play and earn stuff without knowing its going to be wiped when it launch's.

#33 Posted by me3639 (1765 posts) -

Why do people keep buying Nintendo games? Same for Call of Duty or any popular titles they offer quality, polish and fun.

#34 Posted by falserelic (5445 posts) -

Because call of duty can make you feel like superman....

#35 Posted by Genkkaku (735 posts) -

It's just a game of pure fun.. I usually only play the MP, I got annoyed at the frequency they started killing played characters in the SP.. But I always have a good number of mates playing at any one time and that's usually reason enough..

#36 Posted by TheCreamFilling (1225 posts) -

The same reason people buy Madden every year, the same game with slight "improvements". I stopped after Modern Warfare 2, I believe that is the point in which the series jumped the shark.

#37 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19357 posts) -

@Snail said:

Not for me.

I keep buying them because they're fun. Same reason I assume people keep buying Mario platformers or any similar series.

#38 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -

I have been buying them until recently, the last one I got was Black Ops, skipped MW3 because I stopped caring and it was getting old, same reason I don't plan on getting Black Ops 2. Might get next years game since it will have been a 2 game break from the franchise and hopefully it will have changed quite a bit or ill just feel like playing Call of Duty again.

#39 Posted by MonetaryDread (2045 posts) -

I still pick up Call of Duty because sometimes I just feel like playing as a super-soldier shooting dudes in the face. I also feel like the multiplayer is balanced and satisfies my urge for a quick-paced death match.

#40 Posted by Green_Incarnate (1789 posts) -

I don't, but I do keep buying Halo games.

I liked Halo 1 and Halo 2 a lot. A lot a lot. The other games in the series were at least decent. They don't come out every year. The Halo multiplayer is pretty unique I think.

#41 Edited by MonetaryDread (2045 posts) -

@Snail said:

@j0lter said:

Entirely subjective opinion. Just because you prefer team-based shooters where co-op is important doesn't mean that it is a better game. I for one see the deathmatch nature of the COD series to be more enjoyable for a single person playing pick-up games with random people on the internet.

#42 Posted by JackOhara (227 posts) -

@MonetaryDread said:

@Snail said:

@j0lter said:

Entirely subjective opinion. Just because you prefer team-based shooters where co-op is important doesn't mean that it is a better game. I for one see the deathmatch nature of the COD series to be more enjoyable for a single person playing pick-up games with random people on the internet.

Wait, are you saying you buy the games because they are popular? What the fuck? @OP I bought and played the shit out of Cod 3/4/WaW. I've really had enough of my fill of the series, I didn't buy MW3 and I won't be buying Blops 2. The moment to moment gameplay is getting pretty tired, and I think the only reason they've been able to keep on rehashing it for so long is because there's a new group of 16 year olds who want video games for Christmas every year.

#43 Posted by NapTimeSleeper (331 posts) -

I find them fun. The only ones that I've played are World at War and Black Ops which I had a lot of fun with so I'll probably pick up Black Ops 2 when it's released or soon after.

#44 Posted by Snail (8607 posts) -

@MonetaryDread said: (tagging )

@Snail said:

@j0lter said:

In Battlefield 3 I can pick up a jet plane, crash it into a building, watch the jet plane explode and the building collapse and gain points if players were in it. I can blow up walls with rocket launchers. I can drive tanks. It's also a much better looking game.

It's not subjective.

#45 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19357 posts) -

@Snail said:

In Battlefield 3 I can pick up a jet plane, crash it into a building, watch the jet plane explode and the building collapse and gain points if players were in it. I can blow up walls with rocket launchers. I can drive tanks. It's also a much better looking game.

It's not subjective.

Can I 1v1 in Battlefield 3? Is there any free-for-all mode?

#46 Posted by Slag (4459 posts) -

If I was younger and had more friends still gaming I would probably buy Call of Duty every year.

Why? because they probably would and I would want to play multiplayer with them. There's always one guy in the group who has to play the new hotness. And the group will follow to stay together. Same reason I bought Madden 4 years in a row once.

#47 Posted by david3cm (635 posts) -

Serious Question: Why do people keep making these threads?

#48 Posted by Snail (8607 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Snail said:

It's not subjective.

Can I 1v1 in Battlefield 3? Is there any free-for-all mode?

I never tried creating a server of my own, so I can't answer that, but I imagine that if you're keen in creating a password-protected 2-player server you can somehow do that. And yes, if you want a free-for-all mode you can't look to Battlefield.

I can still ride a jetplane into a structure and watch it collapse. If you don't appreciate that above all, if you don't see why that is the winning argument, I can only hope you one day see the light and find your way. I can understand why you'd want a free-for-all mode, I enjoy those too, but the explosions and the things collapsing and the vehicles and have I mentioned the jetplanes.

But yes, they're different games, with one being more tactical than the other. Still, the EXPLOSIONS AND THINGS BEING DESTROYED AND HITTING A MOVING CAR WITH A ROCKET OH LORD.

#49 Posted by JasonR86 (9715 posts) -

@Chaoticarsonist:

I don't. And this is going to boil down to exactly what you said this thread wasn't about anyway so why even ask the question?

#50 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

I play them competitively

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.