Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Black Ops II

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 13, 2012

The Black Ops storyline continues, switching the past Cold War from the game's predecessor to future 2025, as a new Cold War between U.S.A. and China flares up due to the actions of one vengeful drug-runner.

Serious Question: Why do you keep buying Call of Duty games?

• 158 results
    ColonelRick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By ColonelRick

@ImHungry said:

People buy COD games? Oh silly countries without LAN shops.

I'm not sad enough to play games in a gaming café, let alone bloody COD games. I have a console for a reason, namely endless internal debating about whether I should buy COD again :P

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102  Edited By Solh0und

Mw3 made me realize that these games are starting to get old fast. I'll likely preorder Black Ops 2 as my last CoD game. After that, I'll be way more interested in what Dice is doing for Battlefield 4.

On Topic: I buy them because it doesn't have a super steep learning curve...then again, most don't.

TooSweet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By TooSweet

Played MW and MW2 on the 360. Really enjoyed them. Got Blops on the PS3. I hated it. So buggy and didn't enjoy it at all. Got MW3 as a gift. It's okay but not great. I go back to MW2 more plus my roommate plays under my account for it. Not sure about Blops 2 but if I did get it it's back to the 360. I think I'll be happier playing Halo.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
    deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

The last Call of Duty game I bought new was World At War so I am not accounted for as far as their sales are concerned. However, I would imagine because it's a fun game to just pick up and dive into since the mechanics are so simple and rewards are constantly littered out, even for just shooting near somebody who dies. It's frantic, fast-paced, easy to play and fun.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -2

#105  Edited By MightyDuck

I only own the first Modern Warfare and Black Ops. I enjoyed both and still occasionally go back to Black Ops for multiplayer. I'm waiting to see how Black Ops 2 ends up before picking it up.

vaportra1l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#106  Edited By vaportra1l

Because I have money to buy them and I still enjoy it? Hate them all you want, they're still technically well made games made by pretty good devs.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By pweidman

Generally they're just a lotta fun. Both the campaign and mp. Blops was a great game imo. Campaign worthy of two playthroughs and a mp that lasted several months for me. MW3 was not good though, so that team needs to get a clear design sheet. But w/Blops being so darn good, Blops 2 is just a no brainer. Plus of course it's a chance to play w/some friends who have, shall we say, narrow tastes. :P

Airickson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By Airickson

I like playing online with randoms, but I also like playing private matches with my friends. I'm hoping BLOPS2 picks up where BLOPS1 was with expanded combat training options. It's nice to take a break from playing 'real' people and instead go against 'bots with my friends.

SLUSHiNaToR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By SLUSHiNaToR

I get them for many reasons. I love the twitch shooter game play in multiplier and the campaign is always really good to me. It's short but solid.

I also really like the variety of maps that comes with the game. 14 maps plus nuketown? Look at halo 4, 4-5 less maps. I'm super pumped for halo 4 as well, but CoD always surprised me with how many maps it launches with.

To add to that, the holiday season just isn't the holidays without playing cod. lol.

murisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By murisan

I bought MW2 because it looked like a nice evolution from MW1. I bought Black Ops because it looked like an even further evolution. I skipped MW3, because I rented it as a precaution and was glad I didn't waste $60. I'll rent Black Ops 2 because it seems to have the POTENTIAL to be the same "jump" from MW1 to MW2. I like the idea of their "pick 10" system for multiplayer, and if they do the campaign right it could be very interesting.

I still beat MW3 when I rented it because it was like playing a stupid fun summer blockbuster movie. Just didn't have enough to bother with a buy.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#111  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

While the formula might be repetitive, the single-player for me has been a hell of a lot of fun since the second game. I think of them as big dumb action movies - they're not going to necessarily tax my mind or change the world, but they're a hell of a lot of fun. I don't much enjoy the multiplayer just because of my color blindness and vision problems, but that's solely my end of things. I deeply appreciate how they've tried to find remedies for that in recent iterations.

Kaowas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Kaowas

It's like Jeff said on the Bombcast once: sometimes you just want Taco Bell.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#113  Edited By mrfluke

pretty much picking this one up due to its good to have when you have new company over your house, cause chances are if they play games, they played call of duty and would enjoy the next call of duty

and plus those campaigns are great dumb spectacles

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#114  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Skipped MW3, got a good feeling about BLOPS2

iAteBillyMays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By iAteBillyMays

I play because it because it offers a very smooth running multiplayer. It's one of the few online fps's out there that puts performance before graphics by giving you a constant 60 frames per second.

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By jerseyscum

The multiplayer. People like to dog on the Call of Duty games, but the online play is still first in class.

I also really liked the campaign in Black Ops. The prison break level is just so cool.....

ShinjiEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#117  Edited By ShinjiEx

Cause this year is gonna be the best version yet LOL ^__^

Subbeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Subbeh

I just love first person shooters, always been my genre of choice and disregarding the big military shooters their really isn't a great deal out there. Found myself playing a lot of RTS and RPG stuff over the last couple of years because the multiplayer shooter scene has become completely and utterly stagnant.

Ideally I'd be playing the latest Unreal Tournament but given that doesn't seem to be coming any time soon it only really leaves battlefield and CoD for my multiplayer FPS kicks.

Moosey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Moosey

I love every Call of Duty since the first one, except i stop loving on Modern Warfare 2 and Modern Wafare 3. I keep buying these games except Modern Warfare 2 because of my friend bugging me to buy. So i said why not? However, my friend ditched the BO2 since he says its the same thing under same skin.... I was like FINALLY! hahah So yeah , its because of friends xD

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#120  Edited By monkeyking1969

Consistency. If you play the top games each year you notice one thing - most games glitch, slow down, or just have some nagging issue. Yet, for the most part across three or four platforms CoD games are pretty tight. We can call Activision all sorts of names for their other practices, but where it matters their development teams for CoD show enough pride to make sure it works pretty darn well on all four platforms. IW or Treyarch don't whine about differences in hardware, they don't make excuses; the CoD games in single player mode are a rarity in that they work pretty well from day-one.

That's what makes it a yearly purchase, the games are well made no matter what system you have.

NecroMongo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By NecroMongo

Zombies

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#122  Edited By shiftymagician

@Kaowas said:

Best analogy for why I skipped the last 2 CoD games, but coming back for this one. I've got such weird cravings again.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#123  Edited By Levio

Because they're in English so I can understand what is said..?

Little_Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Little_Shadow

I keep buying them in the hopes that they can recreate and improve upon the magic (for lack of a better term) that I felt when playing CoD 4, but I've been burned with each subsequent iteration. MW3 was the last chance they had with me.

I'm out. :)

Nethlem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Nethlem

I think the question is kinda odd because it assumes people either buy every single game of the series or none at all, ain't that a little bit narrow minded?

Personally i judge every game on it's own merits and not just on what franchise it belongs to. That's why i loved CoD4, Skipped on WaW (Still had been tired of WW2 shooters at that point), skipped MW2 (Too much more of the same), bought BLOPS1 (Great selection of MP modes with Zombies, Gungame, One in the Chamber, The gambling one), skipped MW3 (Guess i'm tired of modern warfare shooters by now) but now plan on getting BLOPS 2 (Futuristic setting, new Zombie mode, single player sounds like it's doing some interesting new stuff).

So i'm buying a CoD game more or less every 2 years, that way they actually feel new and fresh because it's more time to iterate on features and overall content. Buying them every years seems like a waste of money but imho this applies even more to other franchises that releases annually, like sports games.

MysteriousFawx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By MysteriousFawx

@Greyf0x said:

I keep buying them in the hopes that they can recreate and improve upon the magic (for lack of a better term) that I felt when playing CoD 4, but I've been burned with each subsequent iteration. MW3 was the last chance they had with me.

I'm out. :)

Agreed.... Black Ops held my attention for a while, there was something about the feel of the shooting that clicked nicely. But the more I look back at CoD games, or go back and try to play them, the more I ask myself 'really? I'm still grinding levels on this?'.

UT2004 all the way baby! Fuck yeah!

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Sooty

I don't.

Spiegel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Spiegel

The thing that a lot of people don't realize is that, to many people, COD is the equivalent to FIFA or Madden. You buy it, have a lot of fun for a few months, everybody is playing it too, and then you wait for the next season game to repeat all of that, because you keep getting better and it's just fun. And the more you play it year after year, the more you get the changes, many of them which are really small for people who are looking from the outside. It's just like sports franchises, and it works really well for Call of Duty. There's no reason to keep thinking that COD should be this flagship FPS released just every 2 or 3 years. It has become another thing.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By DoctorWelch

I used to buy them because my friends bought them, and even terrible games are fun when you play with friends. I decided not to buy it this year because I'm a broke college student, and I refuse to give Activision any more money for the same stupid game every year.

SpydrMrphy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#130  Edited By SpydrMrphy

Because some times you just really want to blow shit up! Some days all I want to do is shut off my logic and reason for a bit, sit in front of the screen and just watch stuff explode. They are the equivalent of action films. Not everyone is going to like them no matter how well they're made, but there is a ton of people who love seeing them. So why do I play Call of Duty, because some days I just want to make things explode.

superultra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By superultra

I'm tired of Modern Wafare (I skipped MW3) but I really liked Black Ops so that's why I'm getting Black Ops 2. I'm just afraid it won't be anything like Black Ops because it's so different and futuristic now. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T LIKE!" -OP

billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#133  Edited By billyhoush

The same reason people watch the same shitty blockbuster movie or crappy sitcom. It's a format we are used to and it works. You get what you expect and it's fine.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Hitchenson

Woah, fuck that. I don't.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#135  Edited By geirr

My guess is fun.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#136  Edited By TobbRobb

I only get the ones I'm interested in! Which so far is, Cod 2/4/Blops and that is mostly for the cool campaign, combined with a sudden urge for shooter MP. I might be inclined to go for Blops 2 as well but I don't feel like it's been long enough yet to be worth it.

Monopolized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By Monopolized

There are no games on the console market right now, that are as fast paced as COD is, there is just something about running up on 4 people and downing all of them with a bolt action, that you just don't get anywhere's else, even if the rest of the stuff is boring

Avatar image for phantomgardener
    PhantomGardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By PhantomGardener

I'm not. I haven't bought a COD game since COD 2.

Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#139  Edited By Phished0ne

@ShiftyMagician said:

@Kaowas said:

Best analogy for why I skipped the last 2 CoD games, but coming back for this one. I've got such weird cravings again.

Partially this. I usually at least rent and play the single player, and buy one every few for multiplayer. Same thing i do with Madden. Sometimes i just want to play a solid multiplayer shooter that is fun to play. I didnt buy MW3 until i was on steam sale.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#140  Edited By Giantstalker

Because despite all the whining to the contrary, Call of Duty is a series that's consistently better than almost anything else in its class.

That exception, of course, being Battlefield.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d4cf64585b7
    deactivated-57d4cf64585b7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do because I do not buy them. I have never owned one and really do not have a huge interest in them. All my friends own the game so I really don't have to.

asmo917

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#142  Edited By asmo917

@Chaoticarsonist: I bought Black Ops because a friend of mine had just gotten a PS3 and wanted someone to play on-line with. Another friend of mine from my hometown and I had a blast with combat training, like we used to with UT when we lived in the same town.

I bought MW3 because, even though I hated MW2, I had a pathological need to see the end of the ridiculous story, and I was curious as to what the new "Infinity Ward" would produce after the clusterfuck they'd been through.

I bought Black Ops 2 because I honestly enjoyed the campaign and multiplayer experiences I had with the original. I'm not very good at MP, but playing with friends is fun and I don't take it too seriously when I suck in public games.

Games are fun. I've had fun with two of the last three CoD games. They're not groundbreaking (although the faces in Black Ops 2 look pretty impressive) or earth shattering, but they're not bad by any stretch of the imagination. Repetitive, ridiculous in story, sure. But not bad.

Crysack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By Crysack

I bought 2 and 4 and enjoyed both. I decided that I wanted to play an arcade shooter recently so I got BLOPS 2.

I'll probably just go back to Natural Selection 2 within the week.

SargeGulp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By SargeGulp

Video Games are fun.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By Marcsman

Zombies man

outerabiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By outerabiz

because i like shooting stuff and knifing dudes, and CoD delivers on that.

RAMBO604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By RAMBO604

It is something all my friends play, they may try other stuff but it is always back to Call of Duty. Like Halo 4 came out and a bunch of my friends got it and played it that week, then Black Ops 2 came out and I'm the only one who has played it since then.

They are still good games. And the not much changes argument is not really fair. There is a fair amount of change surrounding the game and there is also a ton of minutia that anyone who has spent significant time with it will know is different.

I was almost not going to get Black Ops 2 but I'm actually pretty glad I did. It is in my opinion the best Call of Duty since the first Modern Warfare. In terms of the single player campaign and multiplayer. Both are the best in series. Everyone writes off the franchise especially the non Infinity Ward games but that does a disservice to Treyarch. Who unlike Infinity Ward which gets A-Team status for just creating the franchise, Treyarch actually cares a great deal more about CoD and it's future. They are after the terrible Modern Warfare 3 and the refreshing BO2 I think are the new CoD A-Team.

Unlike MW3 which was plagued by internal turmoil and towed the line as far as innovation with BO2, Treyarch realizes that the formula needs to change and CoD needs to evolve. Even if they only have two years per turn at the helm to do so. They respect the franchise.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#148  Edited By crusader8463

I don't buy them, but a coworker that I worked with was one of those guys who bought them every year. When I asked him the question he said it was because it became a tradition for him and his son to co-op the single player together and then go online and play against people. Though this was last year and he was saying then that it might be his last year they do it because him and his kid were not enjoying it as much. Hard to say what they did this year as we no longer work together.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#149  Edited By Svenzon

I keep hoping that they'll be as fun as Modern Warfare and (to a lesser extent) Modern Warfare 2 was. I skipped Black Ops and only played a tiny amount of MW3, while I bought Black Ops 2 mainly for the good things Jeff and others said about the campaign. None of them have been outright bad, but the magic is just kinda lost on me nowadays. Next year I'll make damn sure I don't fall into that trap again. It sucks that I feel this way about them, since I still consider Call of Duty 4 to be one of the greatest games of this generation.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By MikkaQ

I was asking myself that question, but then I bought Black Ops 2 and had too much fun to care. So there's your answer, because they're good video games. Except MW3, that one was a big, big misstep.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.