Share your first impressions!

#1 Edited by JacDG (2112 posts) -

You know what the definition for insanity is? So even though I was adamant about NOT purchasing this years Call of Duty game I've just returned from a store with a copy, why? Because I found out most stores sold the game early, so I thought why the hell not! I've been playing the game for a few hours now, completed a couple of campaign missions and reached level 10 in multiplayer, I haven't touched zombies yet, but I still feel like I've gotten a good glimpse of what this game is about since this is my 9th Call of Duty game, yep played every single game in the series. I thought I'd just share some of my first impressions, and you can too if you've gotten the game early, or when it is released.

• Campaign seems pretty fun, haven't liked a campaign in Call of Duty since the series 4th installment so it might still change. I like that there are more things to do in missions, and that you can set perks and loadout before each mission, some perks gives you the option to access areas/weapons you couldn't otherwise, a snazzy turret for example.
  • Story is pretty dumb, but hey, you get to see Woods and Mason again, plus some other dudes who have a connection to them. The game seems focused around new tech, which so far has led to some pretty cool scenarios and updates to already established mechanics in the series, there's also some pretty cool guns.
  • This game is GORY, some serious shit gets shown pretty fast.
  • Multiplayer seems to be designed for my liking, it's a bit faster than Black Ops, but not at the stupid level that was MW3. You need to be more accurate, since it takes as many bullets to kill as in the first game, but with the speed being cranked up it takes a bit getting used to. Most maps look good, besides the one covered in brown vomit (looks like Cracked but even browner) they seems pretty colorful. The maps are decently sized as well, nothing too small or too large, with some sections of CQ combat as well as more open ones with nice sight-lines. The respawn system is alright, certainly much better than MW3 so far. Haven't really figured the Pick 10/class creator system out yet though.
  • Knife is still stupid, If I shoot you with a three burst gun up close, you aren't in any condition to be able to knife me!!!
  • DOLPHIN DIVING!
  • It's Call of Duty yo, it isn't THAT much different from the first Black Ops, but it certainly seems like an improvement so far. I was feeling burnt out on the franchise, yet I've really enjoyed my first few hours with the game to a degree I didn't expect, so that is definitely a positive. It's not as fresh as I would have hoped, but it is fun!

So yeah, there we go, fun but nothing game changing. Sorry if some of the stuff I wrote doesn't make any sense, I'm on my way out of the door as I type this.

Ps. if someone is getting/already have this for PS3 and would like to play some multiplayer and/or zombies just send me a Friend Request (TheHumanBird) I should say that I am European, so connecting with NA duders might be though.

#2 Posted by Korolev (1647 posts) -

My First Impressions:

• Hey! They're actually trying to craft a story! I don't know if it pays off, but at least Treyarch is trying. So there's that
  • Great! You can actually customize your loadout before the mission starts!
  • First Mission - killing whole lot of African people who attack with Machetes. On behalf of an African Warlord. Who shoots and tortures prisoners. Yeah. Nice. Actually, I don't know what to think of it. Are we supposed to be cheering on this obvious monster who will undoubtedly inflict pain on his own people, or are we being shown an unsavory glimpse at CIA actions in Africa?
  • Okay second mission begins and...... crash. Freeze. Sound still plays but the game freezes during the opening cinematic. A missile hits the helicopter, the camera goes all slow-mo and then the game freezes up. I am playing the PC version - my Computer is quite new and can handle BF3 at full settings just fine. I have an nVidia GTX 580 and a pretty good CPU. It's not my hardware. I verify integrity of the game files, and Steam says it's fine. I restart my computer, I set everything to low, I updated my Graphics Drivers - nope. Still freezes in exactly the same spot. No, I am not a pirate. I paid for my copy. The game just freezes up at that point, EVERY. DAMN. TIME.
  • Well, I'd like to play more of it, but I can't. Black Ops 1 had technical jank, and it's good to see that Treyarch, with all of its millions upon millions of dollars, is continuing the fine tradition of releasing busted PC versions of its games. Great. This is the first game in a long time that I've had issues with. In fact, it's the first game since..... the Original Black Ops.
  • Sigh. Treyarch, you're working with OLD tech. Your engine is old and its been used so many times before, that I find it surprising that you still continue to have issues with it. I am reinstalling it, in the vain, vain hope that it won't freeze. I am 95% certain that after it has reinstalled, it will continue to merrily freeze at exactly the same point again and again, and I'll have to wait a day or two before they belatedly release a patch (which will probably stuff up something else).
#3 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

Good to know. Glad I decided to wait on the PC version. I fuckin knew it'd be a disaster.

#4 Posted by Skyfire543 (585 posts) -

@Korolev: And to think I was planning to get the PC version. I hope it gets patched and fixed.

#5 Posted by Nawls (14 posts) -

http://youtu.be/VPIP9KXdmO0

#6 Posted by Hunkulese (2528 posts) -

Are you guys new to PC gaming?

Every PC game ever released has caused at least one person's computer to crash. You're worried about getting a game because one person has an issue? There is no feasible way for them to be able to test every possible PC configuration before they release a game and somebodies computer probably wont like it. Unless you have the exact same computer with the exact same operating system with the exact same programs installed you'll be fine.

#7 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19158 posts) -

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about the PC version just yet until we've got more impressions.

#8 Posted by Dezztroy (733 posts) -

Well, I've been playing the multiplayer non-stop for the past 5 hours without a single crash. So there's that.

#9 Posted by zombie2011 (4941 posts) -

Faster than Blops? I'm definitely skipping this game, i was gonna see how into Halo 4 MP i got to decide if i was gonna get Blops2 or not. I'm liking Halo 4 a lot so i think i can go without this game, this holiday.

I watched a video of it on IGN, where some guys were commentating over some MP games on how much the game changed. However, everything i saw just looked like Blops 1 but with a couple different killstreaks.

#10 Posted by Demoskinos (13876 posts) -

@zombie2011: Halo is the right choice here.

#11 Posted by Blastroid (257 posts) -

I like the point system change compared to kill only related kill streaks. Now you get more points for accomplishing a task like picking up a tag or capturing a flag. I hope this leads to more people going for the objectives.

#12 Posted by _Chad (957 posts) -

@blastroid said:

I like the point system change compared to kill only related kill streaks. Now you get more points for accomplishing a task like picking up a tag or capturing a flag. I hope this leads to more people going for the objectives.

Isn't that what they did in MW3? I played MW3 for about a month and I remember people playing objective based games like they were still playing team deathmatch.

#13 Posted by Blastroid (257 posts) -

@ChadMasterFlash said:

@blastroid said:

Isn't that what they did in MW3? I played MW3 for about a month and I remember people playing objective based games like they were still playing team deathmatch.

Not everything went to the kill streak in MW (like picking up tags). In BO2 they reduced the points per kill and award heavy for objective tasks. Getting points without dying earns you kill streaks with kills still adding just not as much. Guess we need a new term other than kill streaks.

#14 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

@Hunkulese said:

Every PC game ever released has caused at least one person's computer to crash. You're worried about getting a game because one person has an issue? There is no feasible way for them to be able to test every possible PC configuration before they release a game and somebodies computer probably wont like it. Unless you have the exact same computer with the exact same operating system with the exact same programs installed you'll be fine.

Well, looking at the comments from other forums, it seems like there's a lot of "blops2 has stopped working" etc. I expect a AAA PC port to run. No, I'm not new to PC gaming, been here since Tribes 1. Back then, this shit happened. Now, I do not accept this shit happening.

#15 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@Hunkulese said:

Are you new to PC versions of Call of Duty (post 4) being shitty?

Seems like it.

#16 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2128 posts) -

First impressions are pretty positive. Only went through 3 missions and a strike force mission so far and not a crash or stutter. Lucky me!

#17 Posted by Jackel2072 (2226 posts) -

my first impressions are that time zones are stupid.

#18 Posted by Hunkulese (2528 posts) -

@murisan said:

@Hunkulese said:

Well, looking at the comments from other forums, it seems like there's a lot of "blops2 has stopped working" etc. I expect a AAA PC port to run. No, I'm not new to PC gaming, been here since Tribes 1. Back then, this shit happened. Now, I do not accept this shit happening.

You have to consider the scale. This is the biggest game of the year. With that many more people buying the game you're more likely to hear about problems. It's not really something that can be fixed because like I said before every PC is configured slightly differently and it's impossible to test every configuration. You can only hope they the react to the issues in a timely fashion.

@Sooty said:

@Hunkulese said:

Are you new to PC versions of Call of Duty (post 4) being shitty?

Seems like it.

I've only played BLOPs and BLOPs II on PC and haven't run into an issue yet.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.