You know what the definition for insanity is? So even though I was adamant about NOT purchasing this years Call of Duty game I've just returned from a store with a copy, why? Because I found out most stores sold the game early, so I thought why the hell not! I've been playing the game for a few hours now, completed a couple of campaign missions and reached level 10 in multiplayer, I haven't touched zombies yet, but I still feel like I've gotten a good glimpse of what this game is about since this is my 9th Call of Duty game, yep played every single game in the series. I thought I'd just share some of my first impressions, and you can too if you've gotten the game early, or when it is released.
- Campaign seems pretty fun, haven't liked a campaign in Call of Duty since the series 4th installment so it might still change. I like that there are more things to do in missions, and that you can set perks and loadout before each mission, some perks gives you the option to access areas/weapons you couldn't otherwise, a snazzy turret for example.
- Story is pretty dumb, but hey, you get to see Woods and Mason again, plus some other dudes who have a connection to them. The game seems focused around new tech, which so far has led to some pretty cool scenarios and updates to already established mechanics in the series, there's also some pretty cool guns.
- This game is GORY, some serious shit gets shown pretty fast.
- Multiplayer seems to be designed for my liking, it's a bit faster than Black Ops, but not at the stupid level that was MW3. You need to be more accurate, since it takes as many bullets to kill as in the first game, but with the speed being cranked up it takes a bit getting used to. Most maps look good, besides the one covered in brown vomit (looks like Cracked but even browner) they seems pretty colorful. The maps are decently sized as well, nothing too small or too large, with some sections of CQ combat as well as more open ones with nice sight-lines. The respawn system is alright, certainly much better than MW3 so far. Haven't really figured the Pick 10/class creator system out yet though.
- Knife is still stupid, If I shoot you with a three burst gun up close, you aren't in any condition to be able to knife me!!!
- DOLPHIN DIVING!
- It's Call of Duty yo, it isn't THAT much different from the first Black Ops, but it certainly seems like an improvement so far. I was feeling burnt out on the franchise, yet I've really enjoyed my first few hours with the game to a degree I didn't expect, so that is definitely a positive. It's not as fresh as I would have hoped, but it is fun!
So yeah, there we go, fun but nothing game changing. Sorry if some of the stuff I wrote doesn't make any sense, I'm on my way out of the door as I type this.
Ps. if someone is getting/already have this for PS3 and would like to play some multiplayer and/or zombies just send me a Friend Request (TheHumanBird) I should say that I am European, so connecting with NA duders might be though.