Small MP Tweak is followed by fans' death threats

#1 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4027 posts) -

.. Earlier today, a patch hit Black Ops II. It was full of typical things you might find in a patch: changes, tweaks and fixes. A few tweaks in particular involved reduced damage on the AN-94, and reduced rate of fire on the DSR as well as the Ballista weapons. Not to belittle how much of a difference these things actually makes for players, but in the big picture, we're talking about a difference of fractions of a second. In a video game. Still, if you take a look at Vonderhaar's replies on Twitter, where he linked to the patch notes, just in the last hour he's received a number of death threats over the patch.

"End your fucking life you cancer cunt i will fuck your daughter," one Tweeter writes. "I hope u die," writes another. "Haha screw @DavidVonderhaar fuk*n up the DSR and Ballista cant fuk*n hit quad feeds now #KillYourself Vonderhaar!!! SERIOUSLY!!" rages yet another player. That's a small sample. Even if all of the response aren't death threats, Vonderhaar is still being inundated with negativity. Responding to the reactions, Vonderhaar Tweeted the following:

David Vonderhaar @DavidVonderhaar

Not sure these fractions of seconds are worth the threats of violence. +

Kotaku: Death Threats Follow Small Call Of Duty Tweak

ThisIs50: Death Threats Follow Small Call Of Duty Tweak

Have you or your bros been effected by the recent Blops2 guns changes?

Ahm, jeez.. Ghosts looks cool..

#2 Edited by OllyOxenFree (4969 posts) -

FIrst of all: Shame on you for linking to a Kotaku article.

Second of all: These are Call of Duty fans expressing their feelings on the internet. Would you expect anything else?

#3 Posted by jakob187 (21503 posts) -

Yep. Sounds like the COD community.

#4 Posted by Xolare (1257 posts) -

And here I was thinking about reinstalling Black Ops 2. Good to know there's still completely decent people playing Call of Duty. Yep.

#5 Edited by jimmyfenix (3680 posts) -

Shame on you for not calling it Kotatsu and Ghosts look alright but these things will always happen if call of duty is involved.

#6 Posted by believer258 (11039 posts) -

The death threats are pretty empty, but these people still suck.

#7 Posted by TheHT (10274 posts) -

They should just remove the guns. Otherwise how will the COD babies learn?

#8 Posted by Demoskinos (13851 posts) -

@jakob187 said:

Yep. Sounds like the internet.

Fixed your message for you.

#9 Posted by smcn (671 posts) -

Yep. Sounds like the COD a video game community.

#10 Edited by TheCreamFilling (1220 posts) -
#11 Posted by Hailinel (22704 posts) -

And people wonder why the COD player community has such a terrible reputation.

#12 Posted by MentalDisruption (1618 posts) -

Yep, sounds like the worst of most online game communities. I've gotten death and rape threats just for beating people in Starcraft before, so I can't say this surprises me. Although the reason behind this does come off as particularly stupid.

#13 Posted by Video_Game_King (34598 posts) -

As opposed to death threats they get from haters?

#14 Posted by bigjeffrey (4156 posts) -

Fucking League of Legends community

#15 Posted by GorillaMoPena (1684 posts) -

Basically anything on twitter you can find people saying the worst thing you can imagine.

Not defending it, more of a sad fact

#16 Posted by ThunderSlash (1367 posts) -

Unfiltered Twitter is on par with Youtube comments in terms of negativity and stupidity.

#17 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4307 posts) -

Jack Thriller is the man

#18 Edited by cmblasko (1006 posts) -

Every community has its crazies.

#19 Posted by Vuud (1428 posts) -

@cmblasko: But there's just something about the COD kids that brings out the very worst of the internet. It seems to attract everything stupid and evil. COD is the Adam Sandler movies of video games.

#20 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

All those people are gonna be real mad when they do the update to replace all bullets with Nerf bullets.

#21 Edited by davidwitten22 (1702 posts) -

They should take the very worst people from all the very worst communities (Dota2, LoL, Starcraft, COD, fighting games, etc) and put them on a 16 person reality show.

I bet the parts where they have to interact in person are dreadfully boring, but once they get to be anonymous on the internet in the challenges it will be a laugh riot.

#22 Posted by RollingZeppelin (1854 posts) -

@vuud said:

@cmblasko: But there's just something about the COD kids that brings out the very worst of the internet. It seems to attract everything stupid and evil. COD is the Adam Sandler movies of video games.

The same thing happens in Halo, League of Legends, Street Fighter and many more games. Any really popular competitive game is going to have its fair share of idiots, COD is nothing special.

#23 Posted by Slag (3339 posts) -

I'm shocked, shocked to find death threats coming from the CoD community.

#24 Edited by TheRealMoot (280 posts) -

Call of Duty fans continue to be massive A** holes online?

I'AM NOT SHOCKED.

#25 Posted by jakob187 (21503 posts) -

@jakob187 said:

Yep. Sounds like the internet.

Fixed your message for you.

What's funny is League of Legends players don't even get this bad, and they are one of the most toxic communities I know.

I guess that means the LoL community is now #2? They've got some catching up to do.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.