Talk me out of it guys

• 80 results
#1 Posted by Reisz (1517 posts) -

It's coming up on the release date and I am getting that itchy trigger finger for the new Call of Duty.

Lemme get you up to speed on the relationship between me and the CoD series; 4 was my introduction, I got into the multiplayer beta on 360 and loved it. I was so used to Counter Strike that the speed and the weighty, dynamic visuals just got me hooked. I bought it at release and played it feverishly for months, then I heard about World at War and it's return to the WWII setting, no interest. Modern Warfare 2 is released and I got pretty excited, played it at my nephew's house and thought "Yeah this is alright!" but once I got it used it just fell apart for me, the multiplayer was painfully bad and it started to seemed like a very blatant cash in. Black Ops comes out (The cold war is one of my favourite periods for military fiction) felt a little more fresh, I enjoyed the characters, the set pieces and the multiplayer. Then the MW3 hype started, I bought it months after release and was completely ambivalent about it.

Now we come to Black Ops II. . . . .

I won't lie, I want it. It's Treyarch who gained my respect with Black Ops, it continues the story, it's another fresh(ish) setting and they're trying something new. On the other hand it is another Call of Duty yearly iteration, I'm not interested in supporting activision and there is a lot of other stuff I am looking forward to playing at the end of the year.

So where do you guys stand, any interest? Any boiling fury? Gonna buy it at release, used or never? and for the love of god someone talk me out of trying to regain the Cod4 glory days.

#2 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

Dude, I hated MW3 and I want to play this game. Why talk you out of it? The only thing I'm waiting for is to hear how the PC version is (servers, etc). If they have dedi servers and a browser, I'm in at full price for this one. It looks fresh.

#3 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

Umm... Treyarch isn't IW...

Fuck the MW series but I'm buying this day 1.

With Halo & COD returning to MLG they'll be some variety again and not this SC & LOL spam

#4 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19372 posts) -
  • It is another Call of Duty game.
  • You will be supporting Activision.
  • There is a lot of other stuff you are looking forward to playing so you could spend your time and money more efficiently.
  • You will get sick of the multiplayer relatively quickly.
#5 Posted by cannonballBAM (605 posts) -

Play what you want to, not what others tell you to.

#6 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

World at War and Black Ops were both great games and in my mind better than all three Modern Warfare games.

#7 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Screw all these guys and go get it! BLOPS 2 is gonna be rad(hopefully). I loved BLOPS so I can't wait to get it! :)

#8 Posted by Demoskinos (15019 posts) -

Everytime someone buys Black Ops 2 God kills a kitten. Think of the kittens.

#9 Posted by Yorkin (142 posts) -

It sounds like you want to play it, so you should buy it.

I know how you feel; not wanting to support Activision. EA and Activision seem sleazy as hell, but that will never stop me from buying games that I want to play.

Just buy it, and have fun.

#10 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1663 posts) -

If you buy black ops 2, you're going to buy black ops 2!

#11 Posted by Casey25 (141 posts) -

If you think you'll get your money's worth, buy it. If not, play something else.

I've been a fan of both the CoD and Halo franchises since Call of Duty 1 and Halo 1, but im planning on skipping Blops 2 and Halo 4 because i'm enjoying a lot of other pc games right now, i know what those 2 games are offering, and i dont like what i see so its not worth the money to me.

It's not about going against evil activision or anything, i know what those games will be and i've had enough of them for a while. So ill just keep playing Sleepy Dawgz, Darks Souls (which i just picked up and love), tribes:ascend, League of Legends, killing floor, Dead Space 2, the Binding of Isaac, and more.

ALL OF WHICH ill have you know cost me less than halo 4 and Black Ops 2 would have cost me. Man, as a pc gamer newblood im loving all the good deals on pc games recently.

#12 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3906 posts) -

I'm all for it. Black Ops was great, MW3 got boring fast. For me Treyarch is where it's at.

#13 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

@cannonballBAM said:

Chirst this! what's with the "tell me what's good you guys"

#14 Edited by Trilogy (2675 posts) -

I refuse to talk you out of buying Black Ops 2.

...Unless you can talk me into talking you out of buying Black Ops 2.

#15 Posted by fox01313 (5083 posts) -

Buy it if you want but it's probably not going to be that terribly different from the last few so unless you are a diehard fan of the series you can not feel like you have to buy it. Then again it really depends on what you play with your friends with online. You could always just go into Borderlands2 or Battlefield3 mutliplayer if wanting something different.

#16 Edited by nasty (1 posts) -

sounds like you want to get COD4-2. BO2 is not by any stretch of the imagination COD4-2. Do not get.

Still. I want to get BO2 because it IS BO2 and will enjoy.

#17 Posted by OneManX (1693 posts) -

BLOPS 2 why not? Did u like BLOPS1... If so buy the sequel.

#18 Posted by mosespippy (4286 posts) -

Rent it if you can, and here's why.

• You like the story and characters that were in the first BLOPS and you'll be able to experience another 6 hour campaign from their creators.
  • Renting it means not paying Activision.
  • You'll also probably not play the multiplayer for very long because you've been playing some variation of it for 5 years now.
  • You'll save a bunch of money or get something else with the money instead. Preferably something completely unlike CoD that is a whole new experience.
#19 Posted by notdavid (840 posts) -

If you like Call of Duty, buy Call of Duty. Fuck all these hipsters saying that popularist games should be ignored.

#20 Posted by Lord_Xp (602 posts) -

I will never buy an Infinity Ward Modern Warfare game after MW3. Terrible maps and an unbelievably short story that could have had so much more. Black Ops story was amazing since no one has really nailed the Vietnam Era so well and made it fun to play. My grandfather saw this game and said it was pretty close with those tunnels and how scary shit was down there. So I personally think you should buy it because one reason is the guy who wrote The Dark Knight Rises wrote the story to the game which caught my eye immediately. I think this game has a lot to deliver from Zombies, Campaign, and Multiplayer. Each one, as a developer explained, is like having 3 seperate games all in one package.

#21 Posted by commonoutlier (136 posts) -

World at War was my first introduction to the Call of Duty series, although I went back (and enjoyed) Call of Duty 4, Modern Warfare. I'll admit what keeps me coming back is SOME of the characters (had no intention of buying Black Ops until I found out Reznov, one of my favorite characters, was in it), and while I did like some of the others in Black Ops (Hudson, Weaver, and Clarke), its not enough to want me to buy the next game.

...although if I hear Reznov is back in BO2...I will be pissed off, then pull out my wallet and toss my money at it (hopefully I will resist, though, until maybe it goes on sale).

So what I'm saying is that if you really don't want it, think about why you liked/bought the other games, why you didn't like some of the other games, and make sure why you didn't like it out weights why you did, when you think of Black Ops II. Or something like that.

#22 Posted by Funkydupe (3321 posts) -

I played Counter-strike today and I had fun. Do whatever floats your boat. If you stop having fun, just quit the game.

#23 Posted by BraveToaster (12589 posts) -

@cannonballBAM said:

#24 Edited by thegoldencat7 (1497 posts) -

So this is pretty crazy.

Bidding on a copy on ebay was up to £370. Its dropped to £122 now. Not sure what thats about.

#25 Posted by ApolloBob (570 posts) -

Video games are dumb. This game is dumb. If you play it, you'll be dumb.

There, did that work?

#26 Posted by Equal_Opportunity_Destroyer497 (560 posts) -

I'm right there with you. I enjoyed BLOPS way more than MW2 and MW3 combined and want to play BLOPS 2 but I don't want to support the annual iteration philosophy (says the guy who has bought every Assassin's Creed game day one). It's more than that though. I don't do the multiplayer, a 5 hour campaign isn't worth the price tag, and I find Activision's overpriced map packs kind of offensive. So I'll probably just do what I did with MW3 and just borrow it from a friend.

#27 Posted by Redsox44 (485 posts) -

I completely skipped MW3 because I was sick of it but I want Black Ops 2. No reason to talk you out of getting a good game, even if it's the cool thing to hate on. Plus I love Treyarch.

#28 Posted by Nightriff (5156 posts) -

Get it, you want to play, nothing wrong with that. BUY IT, BUY IT NOW!!!!

#29 Posted by RE_Player1 (7563 posts) -

@Lord_Xp said:

I will never buy an Infinity Ward Modern Warfare game after MW3. Terrible maps and an unbelievably short story that could have had so much more. Black Ops story was amazing since no one has really nailed the Vietnam Era so well and made it fun to play. My grandfather saw this game and said it was pretty close with those tunnels and how scary shit was down there. So I personally think you should buy it because one reason is the guy who wrote The Dark Knight Rises wrote the story to the game which caught my eye immediately. I think this game has a lot to deliver from Zombies, Campaign, and Multiplayer. Each one, as a developer explained, is like having 3 seperate games all in one package.

I came to that realization after MW2. Treyarch fucking brought it for Black Ops and it looks like they are pushing it to the limit for Black Ops 2 as well.

#30 Posted by Laurentech (127 posts) -

Buy 10 copies and cry yourself to sleep at night.

#31 Posted by DharmaBum (1049 posts) -

Don't support bad game design.

#32 Posted by Nadril (536 posts) -

I skipped MW3 but I am thinking of getting this game. I've been itching for an FPS to play.

#33 Posted by Vinny_Says (5719 posts) -

The only worry I have is that the campaign won't be about Black Ops and instead be bombastic "saving the world" type crap like they showed in the E3 demo. What exactly is such a secret operation when you're defending LA from robots?

#34 Posted by JasonR86 (9744 posts) -

Why would I talk someone out of buying a video game? I'm not your keeper!!!

#35 Posted by goatmilk (181 posts) -

If you're buying it you are supporting everything that is wrong with games. Did that help? I assume you'd be buying it only for multiplayer because the campaigns in these games are pointless. The MP too, though. It's the same old shit. Do you want the same old shit? Ask yourself that.

Positives? COD games are region free and cost $15 on Russian sites if you have a PC. Also if this is a Treyarch game all the rank hacks, aimbots & wallhacks that work in the IW games won't work.

#36 Posted by hwy_61 (934 posts) -

Jesus Christ, people sure love to hate Activision. They put out a game that millions of people buy and enjoy. What's the fucking problem again? Buy Black Ops 2, you're gonna get your monies worth.

#37 Posted by Enigma777 (6078 posts) -

I recommend that you rent it. That way you can scratch that itch for a week or so and if you genuinely like it, then buy it.

#38 Posted by gaminghooligan (1465 posts) -

I'm with I hated MW3, but man this one seems like they have really embraced the over the top Michael Bay thrill ride an I mean those wing suits... WING SUITS... and mechs.

#39 Posted by M_Shini (551 posts) -

If its something you want and may enjoy then supporting Activision is the right thing to do, doesn't matter if its the same thing every time or others are getting tired and bored with it, regardless who its from if you feel you will enjoy it get it.

#40 Posted by Animasta (14713 posts) -

you would be supporting a literal war criminal? (oliver north)

#41 Posted by Labman (288 posts) -

I can tell you why you should get it. Three words: Custom. Zombies. Maps!

Of course, you would have to get it on PC for that.

#42 Posted by Strife777 (1605 posts) -

I haven't played MW3 (yet atleast) and I'm pretty interested in that game, mostly because it's a little futuristic and not just another modern military shooter.

#43 Posted by triple07 (1198 posts) -

I'll probably be picking it up. I loved Black Ops mainly for the zombies mode but I also liked the campaign. I don't really find the multiplayer much fun anymore but I'm still excited to see what Treyarch does next.

So I say get it. Don't listen to internet assholes who tell you not to play what you like because its popular to hate.

#44 Posted by Gahzoo (361 posts) -

Black Ops was pretty boss.

I'm getting this one. I don't know about you guys, but Call Of Duty is my guilty pleasure.

#45 Posted by altairre (1217 posts) -

@mosespippy said:

Rent it if you can, and here's why.

Every year I ignore every modern military shooter that gets released until Call of Duty comes along. Then I rent it, play it over the weekend and that's all of the dumb but entertaining shooting gallery explosion script stuff I need in a year (couldn't care less about multiplayer). This procedure works really well for me.

#46 Posted by FrankieSpankie (228 posts) -

@notdavid said:

If you like Call of Duty, buy Call of Duty. Fuck all these hipsters saying that popularist games should be ignored.

I don't see how it's being a hipster to hate Call of Duty. The majority of CoD haters don't hate on other popular games just because of their popularity. Here's why I hate CoD and my attempt to talk you out of it:

I love games, it's probably my favorite hobby, I spent a lot of my free time playing them. I want games to continue to improve technologically. The problem is that by buying Call of Duty 4: 6th Edition, you're telling the entire game industry that we don't want innovation, we will continue to pay full price for a couple new maps, new weapons, and a very brief campaign. Save your money and rent the game if you want it for the campaign. I guarantee you you will beat it before it has to be returned. The multiplayer is something you've already played a lot of in previous versions... It's not worth the money for you and it hurts the innovation in future AAA titles.

#47 Posted by _Chad (962 posts) -

I don't want to talk you out of it. I'm going to buy it, I said I wouldn't, then realized I usually play the multiplayer through winter then move on when new games start to come out in the spring.

#48 Posted by Codeacious (960 posts) -

The only reason I'm really turned off by it is seeing the $50 DLC Season Pass on the Steam Store page. It just seems a little disgusting to me that there's already that much DLC planned. That, or how expensive the DLC is going to be.

#49 Posted by llamaegg (228 posts) -

The apparent lack of Dedicated Servers on PC has me pretty turned off to be completely honest. With all these games (COD, CS, TF2, etc.) I tend to play on one or two servers because I believe the joy of the games wear off quickly without playing with buddies, so no dedicated servers means I'll be playing against randoms all the time, which isn't really that much fun.

#50 Edited by Labman (288 posts) -

@FrankieSpankie said:

@notdavid said:

I don't see how it's being a hipster to hate Call of Duty...

I'm not saying your wrong (or right) about the whole hipsters hating on CoD, but it reminded me of a conversation between Lois and Brian on Family Guy.

Lois: I think you just got to be in the "out" group. Whoever's on top, whoever's in power, whoever's successful, you gotta be on the other side or you don't feel like the smartest guy in the room. All you are, my dear, is a contrarian.

Brian: Oh, please, you could not be more off base.

Lois: Oh, yeah? Let me ask, what did you think of the movie Titanic?

Brian: Horrible, one of the worst movies ever made.

Lois: Mm-hm, what about Slumdog Millionaire?

Brian: Overrated, just a terrible movie.

Lois: Cocktail.

Brian: Actually, not a bad film. You know, as classically structured cinema, Cocktail was one of the best films of its era.

Lois: You make me sick, Brian.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.