Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Black Ops II

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 13, 2012

The Black Ops storyline continues, switching the past Cold War from the game's predecessor to future 2025, as a new Cold War between U.S.A. and China flares up due to the actions of one vengeful drug-runner.

Would you play CoD if it went back to basics?

• 52 results
    Spitznock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Spitznock

The metagame is great because it gives you a reason to keep coming back, but personally I think the moment you reward someone for having fun, a fun activity becomes less about the fun and more about the reward until you get to a point like where we are now with shooters in that a game can't just come out and be a fun time; it has to have all of its stat tracking (which has its own, more insidious issues) and its unlocks/progression system to stand a chance.

To me, having to unlock stuff in shooters (such as your Call of Duties and your Battlefield 3s) is just busywork. I shouldn't have to feel obligated to continue playing just to unlock a new toy to play with. It makes me feel like a test subject more than someone who just wants to plug some dudes in the face to unwind.

It's unfortunate, because shooters are my favorite genre, and nowadays it seems more of them are built to dangle carrots in front of your face by means of metagames than they are to just be a fun time.

If you make a game capable of providing its players with a good time, they will continue to play it. People still play Counter-Strike. People still play Halo 3 and Quake.

I guess the short answer would be: Yes. I would absolutely play Call of Duty (more often) if it went back to basics. No stats. No leveling. No perks. Just a handful of dudes running about shouting nonsense at one another and laughing their asses off at the manic chaos going on.

clstirens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By clstirens

@mordukai said:

@Bell_End: But do you think it'll be widely accepted by current players? I know a lot of people here have played the old school MP games but a large portion of current CoD players are kids that were just too young at the time to experience pure gameplay. Do you think those players would accept it?

I know the gameplay element is there, but it's buried beneath a mountain of meta-game.

No, probably not. That being said, I still play a lot of shooters "just for the gameplay" by doing fun little zany things. I still want to win, but I enjoy the nuance of certain tactics. (or just loading up a squad of buddies in BF3 with only magnums and blaring "Wild Wild West")

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.