A small honest review if anyone is interested.

• 95 results
#1 Edited by papuccino1 (311 posts) -

I've had this game for the past two days, yay Bolivian black market! Unfortunately the game is pretty mediocre.

I can't really put my finder on it but this game lacks heart. There is no story! You get a lot of fast camera cuts and fucking numbers popping up everywhere during flashbacks. The games cutscenes just feels very fast paced without reasons.

You have your typical CoD hollywood type scenes like riding a motorcycle and escaping a Russian POW Camp, or defending a huge onslaught of vietnamese soldiers in Khe Sang. But like I said you don't know why you're doing these things.

The framerates are spectacular as the previous game. Solid 60fps ALWAYS. No gripes there. The character models look even better than before. 

The guns 'feel' light. I guess this is for most CoD games, but I prefer it when bullets are heavy. One hit or two and the enemies are down, and likewise for yourself. Like FEAR. But hey, not every gamer has the same tastes on this particular area. Your weapons in this game almost always start out with 900 bullets, giving you quite the message to just spray and pray. :/

All in all I'd recommend a rental at best and then judge the game for yourself.

tl;dr: Very good technical accomplishments, but lacks heart of previous games. 

EDIT: 

Pictures I took of the game can be found here:  http://imgur.com/a/7DA7Y/oepne_source_hur_dur 

EDIT 3: 

Here's the video: 

#2 Posted by FirePrince (1763 posts) -

MW2 didn't have heart.

It had more explosions than a Michael Bay movie.

#4 Posted by jim_dandy (891 posts) -

How many units of heart does it not have?

Like, 30 liters?

#5 Edited by SomeJerk (3305 posts) -

60fps solid and you're on a 360 with it? What the f?  The bullets thing and the resupplying in MoH makes me think the focus group tests have moved down a generation in player ages, we're heading towards infinite ammo and eternal hand-holding.

edit: I confused this with a poorly done PC port, nevermind my fps comment, the game runs just over 50 on 360 etc :D

#6 Posted by Pessh (2459 posts) -

Heart? Pretty sure people play for the multiplayer...

#7 Posted by shivermetimbers (780 posts) -

It's about Black Ops during the Cold War/Vietnam war era, it doesn't need heart. They add in those action segments because they have to do it to give variety and make things fun.

#8 Posted by Djeffers03 (2545 posts) -
@FirePrince said:
"

MW2 didn't have heart.

"
Has any CoD game had heart? Don't say CoD 4 because im pretty sure that had even less emotional moments.
#9 Posted by FirePrince (1763 posts) -
@Djeffers03 said:
" @FirePrince said:
"

MW2 didn't have heart.

"
Has any CoD game had heart? Don't say CoD 4 because im pretty sure that had even less emotional moments. "

I really liked CoD2.It may be just me,but that game was great.Destroying that building in the Russian campaign will be forever in my mind.
#10 Posted by Meltac (2003 posts) -
@Djeffers03 said:
" @FirePrince said:
"

MW2 didn't have heart.

"
Has any CoD game had heart? Don't say CoD 4 because im pretty sure that had even less emotional moments. "
No man, you don't get it man! CoD4 had tons of heart, it was an emotional rollercoaster, dude! Don't you remember?! Price gave you his gun just before he died, or atleast we thought so, GAVE YOU HIS GUN! That's some shit that makes you cry! and dude, I'm a grown man, and that game made me fucking cry! CoD4 was the shit! man
#11 Posted by papuccino1 (311 posts) -

I frankly haven't tried multiplayer because I couldn't care less about it. Too many perks and combos and shit you don't need. Just a gun and a sight and that's all should be given.

#12 Posted by Djeffers03 (2545 posts) -
@papuccino1 said:
" I frankly haven't tried multiplayer because I couldn't care less about it. Too many perks and combos and shit you don't need. Just a gun and a sight and that's all should be given. "
Then this little review is only usefully to about 2 people...
#13 Posted by ShockD (2410 posts) -

Thanks for the information.

#14 Posted by wickedsc3 (1046 posts) -

There's a game mode called barebones that has no killstreaks or perks.@papuccino1 said:

" I frankly haven't tried multiplayer because I couldn't care less about it. Too many perks and combos and shit you don't need. Just a gun and a sight and that's all should be given. "
#15 Posted by Sander (414 posts) -
@papuccino1 said:
"

I've had this game for the past two days, yay Bolivian black market! Unfortunately the game is pretty mediocre.

I can't really put my finder on it but this game lacks heart. There is no story! You get a lot of fast camera cuts and fucking numbers popping up everywhere during flashbacks. The games cutscenes just feels very fast paced without reasons.

You have your typical CoD hollywood type scenes like riding a motorcycle and escaping a Russian POW Camp, or defending a huge onslaught of vietnamese soldiers in Khe Sang. But like I said you don't know why you're doing these things."

There is a story, you missed it. I knew exactly why we were in Cuba, then Soviet Union, then Vietnam and all the rest. Everything is there for a good reason, including numbers popping up and fast camera cuts.
One thing that people should do is turn on the subtitles because hearing the muffled voice of the interrogator is hard and you'll miss things.
#16 Posted by Yummylee (22064 posts) -

Is the SP as short as the Modern Warfare games?

#17 Posted by zombie2011 (4983 posts) -

I loved MW2, but this game just doesn't appeal to me for some reason. I'll still get it though, i don't know why but i will. 

It's a shame Treyarch are cranking these out, kinda wish they would do their own thing. Let IW make COD, the only reason i play the games are because of single player, and without Price and Soap i don't care about this game.

#18 Posted by floodiastus (1262 posts) -
@papuccino1 said:
haha you are trolling 
#19 Posted by Chango (527 posts) -

If it's better than the clusterfuck that is mw2 then I'll probably get it.

#20 Posted by papuccino1 (311 posts) -
@floodiastus: What gives you that idea? This is just my opinion of the whole multiplayer scene. Full of 13 year olds that rely on perks and other shit to win.
#21 Posted by JerichoBlyth (1044 posts) -
@papuccino1 said:
" @floodiastus: What gives you that idea? This is just my opinion of the whole multiplayer scene. Full of 13 year olds that rely on perks and other shit to win. "
I don't often say this but....agreed.

COD multiplayer has become worse and worse every year since it peaked as it started to get good with COD4.
#22 Posted by august (3854 posts) -

I watched a steam of the campaign and didn't have any trouble following the story. I thought it was pretty fun in a crazy way.

#23 Posted by black100 (8 posts) -

Just out of curiosity, how did you manage to get a copy?     

In my understanding this game can only be played thorugh steam so even if you got a copy early you would have to wait until launch day to actually play it?  Am I mistaken about that or have you used another method. 

I don't want to sound like I'm trying to discredit you, I am genuinely interested.
#24 Posted by Bucketdeth (8024 posts) -
@black100 said:
" Just out of curiosity, how did you manage to get a copy?      In my understanding this game can only be played thorugh steam so even if you got a copy early you would have to wait until launch day to actually play it?  Am I mistaken about that or have you used another method.  I don't want to sound like I'm trying to discredit you, I am genuinely interested. "
He said he got it in the Bolivian black market.
#25 Posted by alternate (2717 posts) -
@Abyssfull said:
" Is the SP as short as the Modern Warfare games? "
I hear 7-8 hours, which is a touch longer than MW2.  WAW was about that.
#26 Edited by Jayzilla (2567 posts) -
@papuccino1 said:

^totally. i have had 5 games with the perk/reward/medal system etc. we are in the dead horse phase and need something new because we all have OCD/ADD.
#27 Posted by SPACETURTLE (1622 posts) -

There hasn't really been any good story in any of the previous Call of Duty games, nor any other military shooter I'VE played, so I never expected any better from this game. But I do look forward to the explosive action in singleplayer and hopefully the multiplayer will be awesome once again on PC like with the first Modern Warfare.

#28 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19372 posts) -
@black100: A ton of people have been getting early copies by different methods.  Either by a retailer screwing up, someone being a friend of a store associate who's willing to get them a copy, either by some online store sending a copy late.  This has been happening very frequently for the Xbox 360 and PS3 and people are playing legit copies already.  This always happens for a significant release game.  There's no way around it.  As for Steam, I don't think anyone is able to play it as, like you said, they block everybody from playing it until release day. 

papuccino1, I know it's just your opinion, and sorry if this is too blunt, but you sound a little too clueless for me to actually consider your thoughts.  I believe Sander who says that you just missed it.  You sound like the people who got confused as to why you were going to different places in CoD4 or MW2 and didn't even realize that different characters were being played throughout the game.  Generally, from what I've heard, the story is pretty great and considering that David S. Goyer (the writer of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight) is the writer for Black Ops, I'll believe that the story is much more impactful than how you described it until I play it myself.  And saying the game "lacks heart" is so vague and corny that it's almost silly.  This isn't supposed to be some emotional or psychological thriller, it's supposed to be akin to an action movie. 

And your ignorant dismissal of the multiplayer with the reasoning " Just a gun and a sight and that's all should be given." when those specific modes are in the game (barebones modes, as someone mentioned) doesn't make for an all too "honest" review.
#29 Posted by withateethuh (726 posts) -
@somejerk said:
" 60fps solid and you're on a 360 with it? What the f?  The bullets thing and the resupplying in MoH makes me think the focus group tests have moved down a generation in player ages, we're heading towards infinite ammo and eternal hand-holding. "
60fps has been the norm with CoD games on the consoles since MW1.
#30 Posted by papuccino1 (311 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ: I'm reviewing singleplayer, not multiplayer, champ.
#31 Posted by Sander (414 posts) -

Yeah well, perks, leveling and customization is what made Call of Duty into the billion dollar franchise it is. True not all people can handle all the different variables, tactics and split second decision making that's required, but for those that can, have a great time. 

If you don't like/can't handle what COD gives you, then there are many other FPS games out there. Complaining about perks etc really makes you look stupid, it's like going into playing Halo and complaining you can't aim down the sight.

#32 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19372 posts) -
@papuccino1 said:

" @FluxWaveZ: I'm reviewing singleplayer, not multiplayer, champ. "

You still gave your reasoning as to why you didn't want to play multiplayer without actually knowing what it consisted of.  It doesn't matter if your initial post was about the single player, your response regarding the multiplayer is absolutely stupid and shouldn't have been made if you didn't know what you were talking about, unless you wanted to actually seem dishonest.  And I've already commented on your "review" on the single player, mainly revolving on the story aspect.
#33 Posted by mattymattmatt (62 posts) -

Thank you for your comments.  I'm looking forward to seeing what people will be saying about the game in reviews as I don't think it is going to do as well as people are saying it will.  Sure, this game is going to sell boat-loads coming off the success of MW2, but as I have stated in another thread, I feel like there is just too much CoD out there right now and I'm not ready for the same thing all over again with just different skins and fonts.  And by the way your comments read, it doesn't sound like I'm too far off based.  I agree with your assessment in saying it's probably just a rental and then see. 

Just to mention about multiplayer as well, I've seen a couple live streams of it on Justin.tv, and my comments would probably be pretty much the same as MW2, but you can certainly tell the difference with the killstreak changes.  There were numerous rounds where I watched, literally, no killstreaks were happening except for the occasional UAV or RC C4.  No gunships, no blackhawks, nothing higher than the 4 or 5 killstreaks.  I'm thinking that that small change could be the difference between success or failure in the multiplayer portion. You can finally go around the map without the fear of running into a harrier, then a pavelow, then chopper gunner.  Who knows though.  At this point, I feel like the developers could put a piece of crap in the players hands and put CoD on it and it will sell anyway.

#34 Posted by Mikemcn (6996 posts) -
@FirePrince
@Djeffers03 said:
" @FirePrince said:
"

MW2 didn't have heart.

"

I really liked CoD2.It may be just me,but that game was great.Destroying that building in the Russian campaign will be forever in my mind.
COD 2 is by far the best call of duty game, it had such an intense and memorable campaign. it was the closest thing to saving private ryan: the game.
#35 Posted by papuccino1 (311 posts) -
@mattymattmatt: Yes it's true that they could wrap a turd and put a CoD name on it, and it would sell. 

For the people saying that 'the story is fine', mind you that I followed Inception easily, Memento and even Primer for the most part. This story is nonexistant! It's just random 'muricans (but that's fun!) going around exotic locations blowing shit up. Then they loosely tie things together at the end. Definitely needs more work there.
#36 Posted by black100 (8 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
" @black100: A ton of people have been getting early copies by different methods.  Either by a retailer screwing up, someone being a friend of a store associate who's willing to get them a copy, either by some online store sending a copy late.  This has been happening very frequently for the Xbox 360 and PS3 and people are playing legit copies already.  This always happens for a significant release game.  There's no way around it.  As for Steam, I don't think anyone is able to play it as, like you said, they block everybody from playing it until release day.  "

UIhhh Duurrrrr.  Lol I guess I'm just a little too much of a PC gamer haha.  Forgot completely about the 360 and PS3 version.  I was raised on COD for PC and I guess I've just zoned in on the PC version for black ops.  

Thanks
#37 Posted by invadernick (260 posts) -

well the game is pretty heavy on the multiplayer, and I know I will be spending muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch more time with it than SP. BTW screen shots?

#38 Posted by papuccino1 (311 posts) -

I'll try to take some in a bit, but rest assured the framerates (at least on the 360) are superb. Constant 60 fps almost everywhere.

#39 Posted by The_Tolman (434 posts) -
@papuccino1 said:
" @floodiastus: What gives you that idea? This is just my opinion of the whole multiplayer scene. Full of 13 year olds that rely on perks and other shit to win. "
#40 Posted by jNerd (2017 posts) -

Thanks for the honest review man, I'll definitely rent Black Ops on Gamefly, but I definitely won't be purchasing it.

#41 Posted by papuccino1 (311 posts) -
#42 Posted by Skytylz (4033 posts) -
@papuccino1: Hows the multiplayer I couldn't care less about the single player.   I always like a little COD Multiplayer at this time every year.
#43 Posted by papuccino1 (311 posts) -
@Skytylz: Haven't played it online so can't say. I never play multiplayer online.
#44 Posted by JoyfullOFrockets (1177 posts) -
@papuccino1 said:
" @Skytylz: Haven't played it online so can't say. I never play multiplayer online. "
Then I have no idea why you like Call of Duty.

Anyway, can you say anything about the zombie mode?
#45 Posted by RagingForces (3 posts) -

I would think most are planning on purchasing this for the MP. I know I am, though I do expect good things from the SP. Based on your thoughts I would say i'm even more interested to check it out. :)

#46 Posted by canucks23 (1087 posts) -

What kind of copy of the game is that...?

#47 Posted by Hansolol (449 posts) -
@papuccino1 said:

I never play multiplayer online. "

I had guessed this from the start.  This makes a lot more sense than

" Too many perks and combos and shit you don't need. Just a gun and a sight and that's all should be given. "

#48 Posted by Meltac (2003 posts) -
@Mikemcn said: 
COD 2 is by far the best call of duty game, it had such an intense and memorable campaign. it was the closest thing to saving private ryan: the game. "
Imo the Band of Brothers series is still the best WW2 games, both when it comes to story and gameplay. 
#49 Posted by DrPockets000 (2859 posts) -

I want a deep, emotional story with heart in MY Call of Duty. 

*cancels pre-order 

Just joking, duder.  Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

#50 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19372 posts) -
@canucks23 said:
" What kind of copy of the game is that...? "
Yeah... I know some people have actually been getting legit copies but that one's obviously illegal.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.