Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Black Ops

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 09, 2010

The seventh installment of the long-running action franchise, Call of Duty: Black Ops puts players into the early era of the Cold War (including the Vietnam War) as a member of the United States black operations unit known as the SOG.

Black Ops and the military industrial complex

lamegame621

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By lamegame621

Recently I've been delving more and more into the ethics behind killing and exploitation. This has, by some measure, kept me from buying Call of Duty: Black Ops. Essentially my thinking breaks down as such: 
    1. War is, ethically, bad. It deprives humans of the right to live. (*If you don't agree with this, feel free to stop reading.)
    2. This video game is representing a hegemonic view of war.
    3. This video game could be propaganda for the further militarization of our culture (America, specifically, and the American south, even more specifically.)
    4. By buying and supporting this game with capital, I am contributing to the above. 

So I'm eliciting your help in this matter. Is it really "just a game" that has multiple interpretations, or is buying it a way of supporting war culture and the secretive, clandestine operations that occur without the knowledge of the general populace?

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Baillie

You ain't supporting anything. When wolfenstein 3d and doom came out, it was the consensus that FPS games are pretty awesome. Some dudes made it about fighting pig cops, others went for a more realistic approach and did it during wars. It's just a game dude. 

If you want, just buy the game and play zombies.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By vitor
    @lamegame621: Despite what it may appear to be on the surface, Modern Warfare 2 was almost entirely anti-war, anti-military industrial complex in terms of its story arc. Besides the face of the enemy, the ridiculous quotes thrown up by former members of the Bush cabinet after each death only went to further cement this idea for me. 

Black Ops though, not sure the same argument could be made.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By FluxWaveZ

It's just a game. No, it doesn't have multiple interpretations (not many possible, anyways), but it's still just a game. War isn't demonstrated to be a particularly good thing in the game itself, so I don't think its serving very well as propaganda. Sure, war is ethically bad, but its something that will never go away. The game's representing this aspect of life that's not all rainbows, but it's an aspect of life that, "funnily" enough, can be made pretty well into a video game.

lamegame621

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By lamegame621
    @Vitor said:
    " @lamegame621: Despite what it may appear to be on the surface, Modern Warfare 2 was almost entirely anti-war, anti-military industrial complex in terms of its story arc. Besides the face of the enemy, the ridiculous quotes thrown up by former members of the Bush cabinet after each death only went to further cement this idea for me.  Black Ops though, not sure the same argument could be made. "
    Yeah, I definitely got the same vibe from MW2. I suppose part of it is that I'm worried that some people didn't "get" it. Though, Call of Duty being as big as it is, can I really be expected to feel bad that some people think it's an accurate political statement on the legitimacy of foreign wars? Probably not.
    vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By vitor
    @lamegame621: At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter to be honest. Back up your ideological beliefs with your vote, not your game purchase. The former will have far more of an impact.
    lamegame621

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By lamegame621
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " It's just a game. No, it doesn't have multiple interpretations (not many possible, anyways), but it's still just a game. War isn't demonstrated to be a particularly good thing in the game itself, so I don't think its serving very well as propaganda. Sure, war is ethically bad, but its something that will never go away. The game's representing this aspect of life that's not all rainbows, but it's an aspect of life that, "funnily" enough, can be made pretty well into a video game. "
    Yeah, this is the other way I've basically been "selling" myself on it. Treyarch didn't create war, or the Cold War, or the "war on terror". Essentially, should I fault any number of movies for "supporting" vigilantism just because they portray it? I'll admit I've never bought into the "video games make you angry/ want to join the military" argument, but I just have some reservations about supporting something so seemingly one-sided.
    AngeTheDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By AngeTheDude

The Call of Duty series as it is now treats war in such a ridiculous manner that there's no way any normal person could take it seriously. While this particular game has the grittiest and grimiest storyline the series has had so far, it's still pretty outrageous. 

tooPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By tooPrime
    @lamegame621 said:
    " Recently I've been delving more and more into the ethics behind killing and exploitation. This has, by some measure, kept me from buying Call of Duty: Black Ops. Essentially my thinking breaks down as such:  1. War is, ethically, bad. It deprives humans of the right to live. (*If you don't agree with this, feel free to stop reading.)2. This video game is representing a hegemonic view of war. 3. This video game could be propaganda for the further militarization of our culture (America, specifically, and the American south, even more specifically.) 4. By buying and supporting this game with capital, I am contributing to the above.   So I'm eliciting your help in this matter. Is it really "just a game" that has multiple interpretations, or is buying it a way of supporting war culture and the secretive, clandestine operations that occur without the knowledge of the general populace? "
    From where is the right for life derived?
    fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By fripplebubby

If you don't believe in killing Cubans, GET THE HELL OUT OF MY COUNTRY! 

I'm kidding of course. I somewhat agree with you that the purchase of war simulators (note that i'm throwing this term around with reckless abandon here, as CODBLOPS is a bit ridiculous when it comes to the actual simulation aspects) would give the impression that you agree and promote the idea of war, while the fact might be indeed quite different. If you are really so offended by this idea, I doubt you'll enjoy the game anyhow. 

lamegame621

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By lamegame621

@tooPrime said:

" @lamegame621 said:

" Recently I've been delving more and more into the ethics behind killing and exploitation. This has, by some measure, kept me from buying Call of Duty: Black Ops. Essentially my thinking breaks down as such:  1. War is, ethically, bad. It deprives humans of the right to live. (*If you don't agree with this, feel free to stop reading.)2. This video game is representing a hegemonic view of war. 3. This video game could be propaganda for the further militarization of our culture (America, specifically, and the American south, even more specifically.) 4. By buying and supporting this game with capital, I am contributing to the above.   So I'm eliciting your help in this matter. Is it really "just a game" that has multiple interpretations, or is buying it a way of supporting war culture and the secretive, clandestine operations that occur without the knowledge of the general populace? "
    From where is the right for life derived? "
    In America, it's derived from our Declaration of Independence, which was in turn developed from Enlightenment thinking (I'm not trying to sound important, but I'm not sure if you're from the U.S.). Beyond that, I suppose there is no concrete "right" to life other than the fact that humans can only, in fact, experience things while they are living. I'm not a complete pacifist, (and perhaps I didn't explain # 1 very clearly) but I believe that through the observation of emotional and physical stresses on humans in a war environment, it can be considered "bad", as much as anything can be considered "bad". It is the creation of human suffering I am against.  

I know that rights aren't absolute, but I I would be more interested in hearing an argument against the right to life, honestly. Unless we're getting all Nietzschean up in this bitch, the violent ending of life, whether it (life) is a right or not, seems to be undesirable--or however you wish to quantify it. 

Thanks for the inquiry. 
    lamegame621

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By lamegame621
    @AngeTheDude said:
    " The Call of Duty series as it is now treats war in such a ridiculous manner that there's no way any normal person could take it seriously. While this particular game has the grittiest and grimiest storyline the series has had so far, it's still pretty outrageous.  "
    Yeah, this is probably what's going to tip me in favor of buying it. I have played some of a friends copy, but I wondered what other people had to say about it. Also, I'll try to be a "normal person" from now on. :D

@Fripplebubby said:
    " If you don't believe in killing Cubans, GET THE HELL OUT OF MY COUNTRY!  

lol rite?
    lamegame621

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By lamegame621
    @Tarsier said:
    " @lamegame621:    do you really think 'war is bad' is a good way to look at it? life isnt as simple as that, it would be nice if it was, but its not.  "
    I agree, it's not that simple. However, rather than arguing the case of the "just war", I decided to base that opinion off of practically every military engagement we've been in since World War II, which is the best-known example of the "just war", although some very unjust things happened, i.e. firebombing of Dresden and Tokyo, atomic bombs at Hiroshima/ Nagasaki--events that caused hundreds of thousands of civilian deaths.
    Lemoncookie01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Lemoncookie01

Tell me what the numbers mean,lamegame.

lamegame621

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By lamegame621

Well, I decided to buy it. I will soon know what the numbers mean!

I still hate war.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.