COD: Black Ops ending voted Best Video Game Ending of All Time

• 137 results
#1 Edited by AjayRaz (12424 posts) -

via gameinformer

when you think of great video game endings, what do you think of? Portal 2? Metal Gear Solid 3? how about Call of Duty: Black Ops? you know, the ending with a bunch of jets and stuff flying over you with some awesome rockin' guitars in the background?

..no? well, that's too bad. it looks like the Guinness Book of World Records Gamer's Edition says otherwise. out of 13,500+ voters, people voted that Black Ops had a better ending than all the games listed previously, plus games like Ocarina of Time, Metal Gear Solid 4 and Red Dead Redemption.

i think it's safe to say that those 13,500 voters have never beaten Call of Duty: Black Ops. thanks to aurahack for posting it on twitter.

for those who don't know what the ending was:

you infiltrate some underwater base, strangle the antagonist in some lame QTE then you swim out to a bunch of american ships as jets fly over to you, before the credits roll.

#2 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2294 posts) -

Thats not the real ending those voters know about.

The ending they know is when you get asked to Prestige or not.

#3 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

The average male only cares about Call of Duty and FIFA. 

Because guns...and balls.

Has to be said this list means absolutely nothing to me.

#4 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

All I have to say is... WTF?!

#5 Posted by llamaegg (226 posts) -

I...I...what? This is quite possibly the most depressing thing I've read all day.

#6 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

...shit, that ending had such an impact I don't even remember it

#7 Posted by Demoskinos (14770 posts) -

I actually really liked Black Ops story mode the "twist" was pretty cool. Its a twist that has been done before and better but it was still a pretty interesting thread for a military shooter where the main threads are usually TERRORISTS OH MY.

#8 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

I actually enjoyed the Black Ops campaign, but when I think of best endings I wouldn't even consider Black Ops. Shit's crazzzzzy.

#9 Posted by Milkman (16674 posts) -

I hate the internet.

#10 Posted by MistaSparkle (2148 posts) -

I wouldn't say it was the best, but in my opinion it was pretty fucking good, but I'm also easily impressed... so there's that. I'd still have to say that Red Dead Redemption left me speechless all throughout the ending and the credits and no other game has ever done that to me.

#11 Posted by TobbRobb (4603 posts) -

I don't remember how it ended at all, or do they mean the presidentzombiekilling? Because that was dope, not that dope, but dope indeed.

#12 Posted by Hailinel (24418 posts) -

I want to slap the shit out of the entire planet right now.

#13 Posted by LethalKi11ler (1406 posts) -

@Milkman said:

I hate the internet.

this.

#14 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

I never seen it so maybe it's great.

#15 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

I enjoyed the campaign of Black Ops better than most COD campaigns, but the best ending? Really...?

#16 Posted by AjayRaz (12424 posts) -

@Demoskinos: the campaign was a neat twist, but that ending was so bad that it soured the entire thing for me.

#17 Posted by mikey87144 (1730 posts) -

COD is the most popular game in the world. It would make sense that a bunch of those stoner COD players voted that as the best ending which is surprising considering most COD players don't even bother to finish the single player. Anyway I think we all know that CODBlops doesn't even belong on the list. Portal 2, Red Dead Redemption, MGS3, Gun, a reader mentioned Sonic Adventure 2 on GI's forums and he makes a good point, and Wind Waker are some games with good endings that I can think of off the top of my head.

#18 Posted by Demoskinos (14770 posts) -

@MistaSparkle: The Red Dead ending was blatantly obvious but the impact of it still was with me for days afterwards. Amazing game.

#19 Posted by Mowgers (379 posts) -

You mean 'best' right? Like 'nudge nudge wink wink let's drink this PBR best' right?

#20 Posted by Demoskinos (14770 posts) -

@AjayRaz: I thought the implication that Mason was JFK's assassin was pretty neat. Fit in nicely with the very "conspiricy theory" overtones that the game was filled with.

#21 Posted by AlexAlterisio (93 posts) -

Now I'm no Call of Duty hater, but haha, what? Sure, it wasn't bad as far as video game stories go, but there are far better examples of game stories/endings. That's the problem with having the general public voting on 'best of' categories for entire mediums. Only a very small percentage of those who have voted will have experienced all of the contenders and be capable of fairly judging them. It's just another popularity contest.

#22 Posted by JordanK85 (140 posts) -

How can they include such a subjective concept in a book of world records? That's like including best color in the Guinness Book of World Records Artist Edition.

#23 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

Wow. I found Black Op's story to be boring as hell.

#24 Posted by Jaytow (693 posts) -

THE GAME WAS TRICKING YOU ALL ALONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#25 Posted by Stubee (378 posts) -

I played all the way through and remember about 3% of it. Such memorable characters and non-cliche plot twists... Pffft (fart noise)

#26 Posted by Twinsun (471 posts) -

Maybe I'm missing something, but what has "best ending" to do with a world record?

#27 Edited by Kevin_Cogneto (1038 posts) -

To be fair, this is according to the Guinness Book of Records -- the book that also determines which man on Earth can fit the most ping-pong balls in his mouth. So let's all take a breath before we all take Black Ops' new accolade super seriously...

#28 Posted by Jimbo (9800 posts) -

Here's a screenshot of the ending for those who can't remember:

#29 Posted by Bulby33 (589 posts) -

This is kinda sad when you think about it.

#30 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5144 posts) -

Halo Reach number 2...

Don't get me wrong, I love Halo Reach but the campaign was terrible ans so was the ending.

#31 Posted by Phatmac (5725 posts) -

Completely agree, Black Ops is the Citizen Kane of our generation. The ending in particular make it the best ending and best video game of all time. No questions asked.

#32 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

I want to slap the shit out of the entire planet right now.

Shall I enact Operation: Majora's Mask for you?

#33 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -

To be fair I really enjoyed the ending in Black Ops so I don't see why this is a bad thing.

#34 Edited by AndrewB (7588 posts) -

Lame that a subjective thing could be made a world record. That just hurts the credibility of the Guinness Book of World Records to me.

It's also wrong. Off the top of my head, a really good game ending was Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. I don't say it was the greatest nor most original, but it was better than any of those listed.

I could also see Halo: Reach being on there. That was a pretty awesome and powerful thing at the end the first time you see it.

#35 Posted by falling_fast (2208 posts) -

when black ops gets voted best anything apart from "one of the best selling games of all time", it pretty much discredits whatever poll it was in, so far as I'm concerned.

#36 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@AjayRaz said:

@Demoskinos: the campaign was a neat twist, but that ending was so bad that it soured the entire thing for me.

Yeah I actually enjoyed the Black Ops story, much better than MW2, and the missions had you traveling around the world, it was a very fun game and like I said the twist was actually IMO very well written and planned out. I don't remember the fucking ending though.
#37 Posted by Jimbo (9800 posts) -

@Wrongz said:

To be fair I really enjoyed the ending in Black Ops so I don't see why this is a bad thing.

Because it's terrible and you are wrong.

#38 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10914 posts) -
#39 Posted by aurahack (2270 posts) -

The only real problem with that list is that it is not solely comprised of Metal Gear Solid 3.

#40 Posted by Hailinel (24418 posts) -

@Hamz said:

But would you honestly consider it the best video game ending of all time?

#41 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

the ending to nier was pretty great, i think the ending to COD 4 was better than blops.

#42 Posted by ShaggE (6422 posts) -

Blops had a really fun story with a great twist, but it was the equivalent of an 80s action film. Not exactly the apex of interactive storytelling.

#43 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

It's a good ending, but it's not really even as good as the ending to CoD 4 or MW2. I saw this earlier today, and I was not pleased.

But, I mean, Guinness is done now, right? If this is the kind of pandering they're doing to appeal to genre fans, imagine what they're doing to keep the people who care about ping pong balls and hot dogs.

#44 Posted by HatKing (5891 posts) -

@Stubee said:

I played all the way through and remember about 3% of it. Such memorable characters and non-cliche plot twists... Pffft (fart noise)

That's sort of how I felt as I was playing through the game. It's not that it was too complicated or I just couldn't keep up with the plot. It was just poor.

That better be an ironic 'best.' Just as Ghost of Mars is the 'best' action movie.

#45 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

@Hamz said:

I enjoyed it too. But best ending in video game history?

#46 Edited by Benny (1952 posts) -

I really liked KOTOR's story and ending(s) personally.

This poll should be totally ignored however because it's not aimed at you or anyone on this site who is the least bit informed and could be recognised as an 'enthusiast.'

It's the same way romcoms will be plastered with 4 star reviews from glossy women's mags but not a single review from actual film critics.

@SlightConfuse said:

the ending to nier was pretty great, i think the ending to COD 4 was better than blops.

And yeah, finding out that

You had in fact doomed humanity by destroying any chance they had of being revived was a bittersweet end to a criminally underrated game.
#47 Posted by mlarrabee (2927 posts) -

Do people still care what GBWR publishes? They could write that Dead to Rights is the greatest game of all time and I wouldn't care any less about them.

#48 Posted by babblinmule (1262 posts) -

I dont want to live on this planet anymore....

#49 Posted by BlastProcessing (916 posts) -

@Jaytow said:

THE GAME WAS TRICKING YOU ALL ALONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It seems that your keyboard was tricking you during the typing of that post.

#50 Posted by EuanDewar (4895 posts) -

I cant believe some of you people even care about this.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.