Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Black Ops

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 09, 2010

The seventh installment of the long-running action franchise, Call of Duty: Black Ops puts players into the early era of the Cold War (including the Vietnam War) as a member of the United States black operations unit known as the SOG.

COD:BO Campaign is a modern day Photo Hunt game.

Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Cheapoz

So I suffered through the campaign yesterday. Through the whole experience I wondered what would best surmise my thoughts. Was it the constant slow-mo interruptions, enemy spawns from cleared areas, brain-dead AI, mission-breaking glitches, hand holding coupled with no information or just Sam Worthington? 

But no, my main problem now with (I suppose) the whole COD series is that it is now a Photo Hunt game. Instead of working your way through environments and enemies, you're constantly scanning the environment for the next trigger. Where is the next barrel, checkpoint, animation, exploding truck, better weapon, needless dialogue, way-finding arrow, helicopter spawn, roof top RPG etc.  

There are many points where you barely need to focus on the actual action taking place around you; just where the next trigger is. Mission too difficult? Just run forward until the next over the top sequence begins. Checkpoint.

As a result I found the entirety of the campaign stuttered and janky. For all the set pieces the game presents I struggled to enjoy any of them as they're just interruptions steamrolling one after another, getting in the way of what you're supposed to do in an FPS; shooting.

So to me; Treyarch created the worlds first Shooter/Photo-Hunt hybrid. Congratulations.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Well, the multiplayer is basically "who sees who first"...

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Vinny_Says

You sound like a retard when you make statements like: "I suffered through the campaign..."

why the fuck would you do something that makes you suffer?

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Dalai

So like a regular Photo Hunt game or the nudie ones?

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

You are a unique snowflake.

GhostlyEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By GhostlyEnigma

Wow! A Call of Duty bashing thread. What a turn for the century. It's not like we haven't threads like these before, right?

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By Oldirtybearon

that's pretty funny since most people consider BLOPS to be the best CoD campaign since 4, if not ever.

Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Cheapoz
    @blacklabeldomm: Use of the word retard is unfair. Also you've never played a single game in your life you didn't enjoy just to be part of the conversation or see what the fuss is about? Never seen a movie you didn't like? Never listened to a song you hate? 

@Dalai: Regular. 

@SaltyPancakes: LOL 

@MAN_FLANNEL: Why thank you 

@GhostlyEnigma: That's why I tried to make this thread a little unique. I could've just ragged on the regular things; but I believe my problems with the campaign go deeper than "TREYARCH SUX!1!!ONE" ~ That said I understand it's almost impossible to complain about something on the internet without sounding like that; because almost everyone on the internet sounds like that. 

@KingWilly: WHO considers this to be the best since COD4? COD4 is the king and has been barely peered by any release since. Including MW2. I would go ahead and say it's the most interesting COD story told since COD4 but in no way known is this the best, or the second best constructed COD campaign ever. 

This quality of this game as an experience gets a free ride due to the COD engine and COD legacy. Take out those things and this game sells about as much as Totally Spies: Totally Party.
    Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@Cheapoz said:

"@KingWilly: WHO considers this to be the best since COD4?"

*raises hand*
    GhostlyEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By GhostlyEnigma
    @Cheapoz said:
    "@GhostlyEnigma: That's why I tried to make this thread a little unique. I could've just ragged on the regular things; but I believe my problems with the campaign go deeper than "TREYARCH SUX!1!!ONE" ~ That said I understand it's almost impossible to complain about something on the internet without sounding like that; because almost everyone on the internet sounds like that."
    Okay, I have to admit that you've made valid points in your assessments. However, the scripted nature of the series has been one the reasons it's been sucessful. It's able to pull-off action, that would be other wise, impossible to do if it wasn't scripted. It's the set-pieces, mission structure, and pacing of the game that has always mad the COD experiance riveting. It's one of the reasons why I enjoyed the single-player portions of most of the game immensely. 

I have to admit, that it is getting stale and out of date. The series needs to evolve. Who knows? Maybe both the Halo and COD franchise would spawn less hatred from the internet community if they did... Nah, I doubt it. Modern Warfare 2 deserves some of the backlash it ganered, for offering a broke and obvious rushed multi-player component. Other than that, most of the games in this franchise are great.
    Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Oldirtybearon
    @Cheapoz: A lot of reviews I've read pointed out that the campaign was as good/better than CoD 4's campaign. Rebel FM also stated the campaign was better than MW2's. I believe the Bombcast even made mention of it being as good as CoD 4's campaign. 

So uh, yeah. 
    jtmosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jtmosh
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " Well, the multiplayer is basically "who sees who first"... "
    I never understood why this is considered such a bad thing.
    George_Hukas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By George_Hukas
    @Cheapoz said:
    " @blacklabeldomm: Use of the word retard is unfair. 
    Maybe using the word suffering is unfair..
    gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By gamb1t
    @President_Barackbar said:
    " @Cheapoz said:

"@KingWilly: WHO considers this to be the best since COD4?"

*raises hand* "
    I
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @JTMosh said:
    " @FluxWaveZ said:
    I never understood why this is considered such a bad thing. "
    For me, it isn't.
    Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Cheapoz
    @GhostlyEnigma: Totally on board with scripted elements making for good gameplay. Something I always loved about the MW2 trailers were that every moment in them were events that took place around you while the game was happening.  

In COD:BO, the game is constantly stopping you, slow-mo'ing you or teleporting you to another place/altitude in order to deliver those moments. There's no cohesion because of how often they want to throw the scripting at you. At many points in the game you have a scripted moment, then you walk for a bit, then another scripted moment. It's unnecessary. 

Also many of the scripted moments are just the same from the other COD games, but used repeatedly. How many times were you on the ground having to shoot?  

COD4 - Set piece every hour 
    MW2 - Set piece every half hour 
    COD:BO - Set piece every 5 minutes (with slow mo!)  

(This is also my order of best to worst story lines, in order, with WaW in #4. MW2 was a stupid story but a far more fluid campaign than BO)

They took a big risk on the story in BO and that's great, but they left in (and multiplied) the gameplay frustrations which have plagued COD since 4. It is a fun story, it is NOT a fun gameplay experience. (In my opinion :)
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#18  Edited By Hailinel
    @blacklabeldomm said:
    " You sound like a retard when you make statements like: "I suffered through the campaign..."  why the fuck would you do something that makes you suffer? "
    Masochism, possibly.
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#19  Edited By Vinny_Says
    @Hailinel said:
    " @blacklabeldomm said:
    " You sound like a retard when you make statements like: "I suffered through the campaign..."  why the fuck would you do something that makes you suffer? "
    Masochism, possibly. "
    Even then, these freaks are doing it for the thrill and to get off. I doubt OP was getting high of the campaign.
    Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Cheapoz

I played an hour of the campaign 2 weeks ago and swore I wouldn't go through with it. But I keep hearing it on podcasts that it's okay so I thought I must be missing something. 

5 hours later; I wasn't.

btman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By btman
    @Cheapoz:  try it on veteran or hardened. 
    DG991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By DG991
    @KingWilly said:
    " that's pretty funny since most people consider BLOPS to be the best CoD campaign since 4, if not ever. "
    MW2 was better then this game for sure. Not that it was bad. 

I sort of agree with the OP... I don't like flash backs and stuff in movies or games tbh so that was an instant turn off. A lot of the cutscenes and stuff made the game feel like it was just not going along smoothly.  

The game was alright though and I didn't "suffer" through it. But I can see the OP's point. 
    xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx
    @JTMosh said:
    " @FluxWaveZ said:
    I never understood why this is considered such a bad thing. "

Play Socom 2
    themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By themangalist
    @DG991 said:
    " @KingWilly said:
    " that's pretty funny since most people consider BLOPS to be the best CoD campaign since 4, if not ever. "
    MW2 was better then this game for sure. Not that it was bad.   I sort of agree with the OP... I don't like flash backs and stuff in movies or games tbh so that was an instant turn off. A lot of the cutscenes and stuff made the game feel like it was just not going along smoothly.   The game was alright though and I didn't "suffer" through it. But I can see the OP's point.  "
    I DO think Black Ops is the better single player game compared to MW2. The level design wasn't all that great for sure, but the story redeems the game. Also, MW2's story was the worse mess I've ever seen.
    DG991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DG991
    @themangalist: I thought the story was jumbled and predictable. They had a lot of epic moments in the game but honestly not enough MASSIVE events and explosions (like nukes going off and stuff). 
    That rocket was pretty massive.  

The thing that impressed me was I felt like I was hardly in control of the game at all because it was so linear but at the same time I had fun with it.  

The normal COD problem I have is I don't know whether I should be running through bad guys getting to a destination or sitting still and shooting them all. The endless stream of bad guys that you encounter sometimes is annoying because you don't always know that is the case. 
    themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By themangalist
    @DG991 said:

" @themangalist: I thought the story was jumbled and predictable. They had a lot of epic moments in the game but honestly not enough MASSIVE events and explosions (like nukes going off and stuff). That rocket was pretty massive.   The thing that impressed me was I felt like I was hardly in control of the game at all because it was so linear but at the same time I had fun with it.   The normal COD problem I have is I don't know whether I should be running through bad guys getting to a destination or sitting still and shooting them all. The endless stream of bad guys that you encounter sometimes is annoying because you don't always know that is the case.  "

You're right about the endless stream of bad guys. Only makes the "shoot the hinges" parts even more awkward too. 

*spoiler alert*
    The story was unpredictable in a sense i never expected anything like that in a CoD game, and being a huge fan of WaW, I found the inclusion of  Reznov ingenious. I really had that nostalgia itch because he and his epic beard... reminded me so much about the "tough times of WWII" in WaW. I also really enjoy it when movies (since no games really gave me the same feeling) show you a plot twist in the end and you'd suddenly notice and remember all the plot devices and references used earlier. Maybe because I never thought a CoD game would try to tell a coherent story (look at the poor, crazy shit MW2's plot was), and how much I love Reznnov as a patriotic and charismatic leader, I totally dismissed the fact that he appears in some rather improbable situations... When it was finally revealed, I was like... oh yeah! That's why that SOB was so rude in the rat tunnel (and he died a horrible death after lol)! I really do think Treyarch really succeeded in carefully crafting an intriguing story. All they need now is actually improve on the level design.
    DG991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By DG991
    @themangalist: I thought MW2 story was pretty straight forward. 

And the "fight club" plot was sort of predictable for me at least... The biggest give away was the guy in the rat tunnel going "WTF U DOING MASON?" 

I was like... well you just confirmed my suspicion. 
    Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Cheapoz
    @btman said:
    " @Cheapoz:  try it on veteran or hardened.  "
    Why? Are there less interruptions? Or does the AI become magically smarter? My issue isn't with the difficulty, sorry.
    btman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By btman
    @Cheapoz:   well that's what this series has become....next time you'll know.
    Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Example1013
    @btman said:

" @Cheapoz:  try it on veteran or hardened.  "

This guy knows where it's at. I cannot describe to you how hard it is to play Khe Sanh on Veteran.

EDIT: and you literally cannot run past the infinite enemies.
    Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31  Edited By Twisted_Scot

"modern day Photo Hunt game" its just linear . FPS Games where you have to keep slogging along to find the next checkpoint  on a map cover with stupid AI pretty much covers 80 - 90% of them. I could pick on COD:BO for worse things than that. As for " worlds first Shooter/Photo-Hunt hybrid " Id strongly recomend you dont play somthign like Medal of honor (most scripted FPS ive played in ages).  Why play it if you dont enjoy it?  I turned off crackdown 2 after an hour of boredom,glitches and repetitive game play (I really wanted to like that game too).  Dont suffer for things you dont like, what are you  Treyarchs Jesus?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.