Come on Stab and Kick Barrels

#1 Posted by MrWillz (38 posts) -

OK we all know about the infinite spawning enemies in every CoD game as much as I hate it, it’s become a staple.  But what has really pissed me off is the S.O.G level where you have to fight your way down a hill to the Weapons Bunker.  Ok that seems easy enough but no you’re supposed to stab and kick a barrel down the hill.  WTF I am being shot at by infinite enemies and I am supposed to follow this AI guy around and notice that he stabs and kicks a barrel down the hill.  That is ridiculous and on top of that the check point makes it seem like you’re supposed to run down the hill to the bunker.  To make it even more frustrating when you check the mission’s status screen id says absolutely nothing about kicking a barrel down a hill.  Am I the only one who got frustrated during this part?      

#2 Posted by cstrang (2381 posts) -

Yeah, I actually had to look online to figure out what to do.  I was playing on Vet the first time through, so I really didn't have anytime to dick around while getting shot at by 15 fucking VC that keep respawning when I shoot them.

#3 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

I had no problem doing it, and I was on Veteran. I thought it was obvious that I had to do that when he kicked a barrel and yelled at me to kick the barrels.

#4 Posted by Dark_Jon (581 posts) -

Yeah, that part was stupid, especially because they put a turret right there so I was shooting guys for 5 minutes straight when i realized I needed to do something else.

#5 Posted by xMP44x (2193 posts) -

I played through the game on Recruit difficulty first, and now I'm going through again on Veteran difficulty. I've heard a ton of complaints about this particular scene, but I didn't find it too difficult. There are not a vast number of enemies. Keep shooting from the top and work your way down, using the building on the left as cover. When you've taken out as many enemies as possible, you might not even need to kick the barrel down. I didn't have to when playing on Recruit, and when I was playing on Veteran I likely could have skipped it through just shooting enemies instead. 

Oh, and so you know: the mission 'Numbers' is so far, the hardest I have played in Black Ops. Good luck with that too.

#6 Posted by tskunk (153 posts) -

Yea, I started the campaign on veteran, and when I got to here I nearly lost my shit. I got through that level, but it was probably the least amount of fun I've had playing video games in a long time. I'm not coming back to that for a while.

#7 Posted by Mikemcn (6988 posts) -

yea, seriously, having known going in that at some point in Khen Sha there would be an objective that totally was not obvious, I still had a ton of trouble with it, the worst part was that the objectives continued to change as you got down the hill, you could still complete the mission without touching the barrels but it would take all eternity.

#8 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -
@Dark_Jon said:
" Yeah, that part was stupid, especially because they put a turret right there so I was shooting guys for 5 minutes straight when i realized I needed to do something else. "
I did the same thing. Only time I've been confused as what to do so far.
#9 Posted by MrWillz (38 posts) -

I am not at all saying that section was hard but more so that they could have been a little more obvious about what you needed to do.

#10 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -

i spent a good hour on this part...  i became so frustrated because i thought u had to proceed down the hill while killing the unlimited number of enemies...  i finally took cover behind a barrel and i noticed that u could push it down the hill...  i felt like such a retard

#11 Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff (5424 posts) -

It took me a few tries to realize that is what I needed to do. I actually discovered it on accident. I never saw anyone else do it and didn't hear anyone tell me to, but I happened to be running past a barrel and saw the prompt.

#12 Posted by withateethuh (726 posts) -

I saw it on a gametrailers preview so I guess I was lucky, even though it still took a while to get down there without dying.

#13 Posted by Vager (1654 posts) -

Huh, I never knew that. I thought the objective was just go to the marker on the bottom of the hill. I couldn't hear what Woods was  yelling over all gun fire. 
No wonder it took forever to get past that area.

#14 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@Dark_Jon said:
" Yeah, that part was stupid, especially because they put a turret right there so I was shooting guys for 5 minutes straight when i realized I needed to do something else. "
This.  I got on both turrets, the one near the top just over the rise and the one to the left in a bunker and the enemies just kept respawning forever.  My AI cohorts just kept calling out enemy locations from that point on and there was no more discussion of the barrels at all.   You'd think the QA guys would've found out the issues with that mission.
#15 Posted by Redbullet685 (6044 posts) -

I got past it in less than 5 minutes on hardened. I don't get why everyone has a problem with this part.

#16 Posted by MrWillz (38 posts) -
@Redbullet685 said:
" I got past it in less than 5 minutes on hardened. I don't get why everyone has a problem with this part. "
I am not saying it was hard but that it wasn't obvious that you had to stab and kick the barrels over.  If you weren't watching the AI you would have thought that you run to the bottom of the hill towards the checkpoint instead of kicking over the barrels. 
#17 Posted by IrradiatedTurnip (184 posts) -
@Vager:
Exact same situation as me. I just fought my way down the hill to beat the level, I never even realized you had to do something with a barrel. I was only on Recruit, though.
#18 Posted by gla55jAw (2689 posts) -
@IrradiatedTurnip said:

" @Vager: Exact same situation as me. I just fought my way down the hill to beat the level, I never even realized you had to do something with a barrel. I was only on Recruit, though. "

Same with me, after listening to the Bombcast and watching a youtube video on what you're supposed to do I realized that they didn't really don't let you know what you have to do. I took on this mission for probably an hour dying over and over on regular. I finally just decided I'm going to book it for the trenches and made it to the next checkpoint. 

#19 Posted by wickedsc3 (1046 posts) -

Im playing on veteran and i could not for the life of me get down the hill.  Finally i looked it up online and found out you had to knife the barrels.  Also i was shooting the barrels with the china lake and couldn't figure out why they werent blowing up.

#20 Posted by jmrwacko (2443 posts) -

Yeah that was an annoying part of the game (although, I'm sorry to inform you, hardly the hardest part). They really should have just placed the objective marker on the damn barrel, would have solved all my confusion.

#21 Posted by XenoNick (1408 posts) -
In the same boat as Vinny. Didnt remember this bit. Looking at vids online i know what everyone was on about. I never interacted with the barrels however. Just legged it down the hill and then got to the next area.
#22 Posted by bombHills (632 posts) -

I quit playing at that spot, twice.

#23 Posted by Sjupp (1910 posts) -
@CL60 said:
" I had no problem doing it, and I was on Veteran. I thought it was obvious that I had to do that when he kicked a barrel and yelled at me to kick the barrels. "
This. Two of my friends also had trouble understanding what they were supposed to do. I guess we're just superior.
#24 Posted by jmrwacko (2443 posts) -
@Sjupp said:
" @CL60 said:
" I had no problem doing it, and I was on Veteran. I thought it was obvious that I had to do that when he kicked a barrel and yelled at me to kick the barrels. "
This. Two of my friends also had trouble understanding what they were supposed to do. I guess we're just superior. "
That, or I couldn't hear Woods' mute voice over the roar of gunfire.
#25 Posted by RecallBerserk (142 posts) -

I'm glad i listened to the bombcast before playing campaign, saved me this problem :)

#26 Posted by DTKT (115 posts) -
@RecallBerserk said:
" I'm glad i listened to the bombcast before playing campaign, saved me this problem :) "
Hahaha. 

Exact same thing for me. 

Nad it even took me 2 tries to finally figure it out. I cant believe such a sequence wasnt flagged during dev time. 
#27 Posted by Ramone (2966 posts) -

Just seems slightly sloppy on the part of the developers for me. I presonally didn't have problems with it but I understand why others would particularly because they pretty much put a massive sign post on everything else you have to do in the game.

#28 Edited by BigBoss1911 (2457 posts) -
@MrWillz said:

" OK we all know about the infinite spawning enemies in every CoD game as much as I hate it, it’s become a staple.  But what has really pissed me off is the S.O.G level where you have to fight your way down a hill to the Weapons Bunker.  Ok that seems easy enough but no you’re supposed to stab and kick a barrel down the hill.  WTF I am being shot at by infinite enemies and I am supposed to follow this AI guy around and notice that he stabs and kicks a barrel down the hill.  That is ridiculous and on top of that the check point makes it seem like you’re supposed to run down the hill to the bunker.  To make it even more frustrating when you check the mission’s status screen id says absolutely nothing about kicking a barrel down a hill.  Am I the only one who got frustrated during this part?       "

I think it litterly took me 30 tries to get past that part. 
#29 Edited by Suicidal_SNiper (949 posts) -

I had to stab and kick a barrel? I know what part you're talking about, I spent a good 20 minutes figuring out what to do but in the end I just ran and hoped I didn't die and I eventually hit a checkpoint. I must of skipped the barrel part completely.

#30 Edited by emem (1966 posts) -
@jmrwacko said:

" @Sjupp said:

" @CL60 said:

This. Two of my friends also had trouble understanding what they were supposed to do. I guess we're just superior. "
That, or I couldn't hear Woods' mute voice over the roar of gunfire. "
I don't think this is possible in "hardened or veteran", you just get gunned down. <- Oh sorry, I read something else there.. I meant that it's not possible to do it "without kicking the barrels".

Does anyone know if the difficulties of the console versions compared to the pc version vary?  
I'm actually really impressed how good people can aim and move playing with a gamepad.. I would suck even more than I already do without mouse & keyboard.;)
#31 Posted by jakob187 (21670 posts) -

I had little problem getting it done on Veteran... 

...once I was told "oh yeah, this is that part everyone keeps talking about with the barrels". 

It's annoying to see that part having such bad design to it.  Then again, I also think that the checkpoints in some parts of the campaign are incredibly shitty, especially when you are sitting on Veteran.  You should still have a flow to your campaign at that difficulty, but it always seems that I'll be cruising along (even though it's a difficult level of cruising).  Then, I'll hit some point in every fucking level that takes a goddamn two hour stretch of failing before I finally pass it, and it's all because of the goddamn aimbots having some massive advantage to killing me.  It's poor design. 

Regardless, I still enjoy the game, but it makes me realize why Infinity Ward did what they did with Veteran mode on Modern Warfare 2.

#32 Posted by President_Barackbar (3462 posts) -
@XenoNick said:
" In the same boat as Vinny. Didnt remember this bit. Looking at vids online i know what everyone was on about. I never interacted with the barrels however. Just legged it down the hill and then got to the next area. "
I did the exact same thing, and when I heard them on the Bombcast talk about that part and Jeff said you had to stab the barrels, I went "so THAT'S why they didnt blow up!"
#33 Posted by Subbeh (90 posts) -

Think it ended up taking me four or five tries. Second time I managed to run and gun my way to th base of the hill but got killed. 
On my last attempt I lucked out taking cover by the barrel which obviously helped a bit!
As far as I can remember the CoD games have had objects highlighted/glowing when you need to interact with them and thats 
still the case in most of this game, very odd that they didnt do that with the napalm :s .

#34 Posted by LLJK_Jasta (292 posts) -
@emem said:
" @jmrwacko said:

" @Sjupp said:

" @CL60 said:

That, or I couldn't hear Woods' mute voice over the roar of gunfire. "
I don't think this is possible in "hardened or veteran", you just get gunned down. <- Oh sorry, I read something else there.. I meant that it's not possible to do it "without kicking the barrels". Does anyone know if the difficulties of the console versions compared to the pc version vary?  I'm actually really impressed how good people can aim and move playing with a gamepad.. I would suck even more than I already do without mouse & keyboard.;) "
I did it on Hardened without kicking the barrels.  I had no idea that I was supposed to kick barrels and I was playing on a loud, 5.1 surround sound system with the correct audio settings in game.  I was even playing with a friend in the room and he heard no orders from Woods either.  It is simply a sloppy bit of design.  I quite enjoyed most of the campaign, just not this part.
#35 Posted by fentonalpha (819 posts) -

The key to this part is to have your sound system play all the sounds so loud that you can't hear the instructions and accidentally just kinda walk past it. (Walk... being slaughter everything in your way and never realize there even are barrels)

#36 Posted by Cowmeat (142 posts) -
@CL60 said:
#37 Posted by gnark1ll420 (101 posts) -

I didn't know what I was supposed to do either and I was playing on hardened. I kept shooting the barrels until about 15 tries later I realized what you were supposed to do.

#38 Posted by Pazy (2576 posts) -

I died 5/6 times on that section before it suddenly clicked what level it was and I had heard the solution on the Bombcast. I didnt hear anyone tell me about barrels and I was in cover/getting shot at/running away while the AI did his barrel kicking.

#39 Posted by Creamypies (4064 posts) -

I just ran past it.

#40 Posted by MegaMetaTurtle (414 posts) -
@CL60 said:

Even before he kicks them I thought it was pretty obvious, but yeah, I don't get why this confused people.

Also, that's one of the only levels where the enemy respawns. Most of the others you can clear a room out before moving on.
#41 Posted by Meptron (1079 posts) -

I finished this part and didn't know about the barrels until the bombcast. I just ran down the hill and took cover, then shot a bunch of dudes. I remember being near death most of the time but I found cover enough to survive and take them out. I think they stop respawning if you get down there, because I didn't even realize this was an issue. Still, it's pretty retarded that these barrels are important and I totally missed them.

#42 Posted by foggel (2763 posts) -

Ok, that would've made it a lot easier.

#43 Posted by DXO (10 posts) -

Was definitely a pain on Veteran.  I finally spammed grenades, kicked the barrel, and went prone.  I guess I got lucky, cuz when I'd kick it and run, i'd be instantly shot

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.