Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Black Ops

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 09, 2010

The seventh installment of the long-running action franchise, Call of Duty: Black Ops puts players into the early era of the Cold War (including the Vietnam War) as a member of the United States black operations unit known as the SOG.

Decline and Fall of the Gaming Industry

zymase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

Edited By zymase

As this year's holiday releases have started, including Microsoft and Sony's motion sensing add-ons and the latest, newest Kotick money maker COD game, I'm left wondering whether gaming has already reached its apex and is now in a slow, incessant decline. 

To focus for a moment on FPS games, Bungie has left Halo for good with Reach, easily the best Halo game made, and every other shooter game tries to mimic Modern Warfare 2.  It built on what Call of Duty 4 had done and may have set the high water mark for shooters, for good.  Between the persistent upgrades online and Spec Ops, nothing has come close since its release and even the recent Black Ops has left many people wanting.   

I'm hopeful that Bungie and Respawn will give us something that ups the ante, though I remain cynical. 

More thoughts on different game types, and my opinion on Kinect and Move (donde están los killer apps?) next time.

zymase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By zymase

As this year's holiday releases have started, including Microsoft and Sony's motion sensing add-ons and the latest, newest Kotick money maker COD game, I'm left wondering whether gaming has already reached its apex and is now in a slow, incessant decline. 

To focus for a moment on FPS games, Bungie has left Halo for good with Reach, easily the best Halo game made, and every other shooter game tries to mimic Modern Warfare 2.  It built on what Call of Duty 4 had done and may have set the high water mark for shooters, for good.  Between the persistent upgrades online and Spec Ops, nothing has come close since its release and even the recent Black Ops has left many people wanting.   

I'm hopeful that Bungie and Respawn will give us something that ups the ante, though I remain cynical. 

More thoughts on different game types, and my opinion on Kinect and Move (donde están los killer apps?) next time.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Diamond

Things felt the same around 1994 in some ways when there were tons of shitty FMV games and countless fighting game clones and countless Sonic ripoff platformers.

Not saying things are that similar but there were similar aspects.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By thatfrood

That's cool, I'm just gonna be over here on pc playing Amnesia and minecraft.

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By mrfizzy

The industry is not even close to stagnation let alone decline. Every year video games make more money than the last (this may not be true for 2008). New developers are still opening up and new consumers are entering the market with fewer past consumers leaving it. All of this points to an industry that is still growing.  
    Throw into this that the industry is more or less driven by tech and the fact that the tech is always expanding/developing and you have an industry that is more or less going to continue to grow.  
    As for the fact that most games are ripping off another game, thats true for almost any industry on earth. 90% of products available today are not at all revolutionary, most are exactly the same as whats come before, some are the same idea as whats come before but have been improved in some way and others (tho very very few) are completely new. 

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By McGhee

Just because you don't think Black Ops is as good as MW2 and rise of motion control, the gaming industry may be on the decline? 
    Hardly.  

Black Ops has outsold MW2's 24 hour numbers. I don't play any of these games but everyone I know that does loves it.

At this point motion control is not good enough to replace a hand held controler and I don't see that Sony and Microsoft intend it to do so. They are just picking up the casual market. More people will be gaming, not less. 

And at the point that motion control does become truly revolutionary, YOU WILL want it. I'm looking for it to one day get closer and closer to a full body, one-to-one, virtual reality gaming experience. I may be an old geezer by the time it happens, but I want the holodeck, damn it!
    Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Romination
    @ThatFrood said:
    " That's cool, I'm just gonna be over here on pc playing Amnesia and minecraft. "
    And I'll be playing the good games that came out this fall that the topic creator is ignoring.
    litrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By litrock

This is also the same year Mass Effect 2 came out.  Red Dead Redemption. Minecraft. Even something like Super Meat Boy or Bayonetta, while more niche, are incredibly entries into gaming. And that's just my own personal favorites list.   

The shooter market is oversaturated and derivative because it's the pop-culture of gaming. Go play some stuff that isn't about running around shooting dudes. Go pick up Kirby's Epic Yarn, or Civ 5, or GT5 when it comes out, or any other countless games.  Innovation exists and is happening. It's a pretty great time to be a gamer. We are spoiled for amazing choice.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By meteora

Decline?  

Aww hell no!

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#10  Edited By Tordah
    @litrock said:
    " This is also the same year Mass Effect 2 came out.  Red Dead Redemption. Minecraft. Even something like Super Meat Boy or Bayonetta, while more niche, are incredibly entries into gaming. And that's just my own personal favorites list.    The shooter market is oversaturated and derivative because it's the pop-culture of gaming. Go play some stuff that isn't about running around shooting dudes. Go pick up Kirby's Epic Yarn, or Civ 5, or GT5 when it comes out, or any other countless games.  Innovation exists and is happening. It's a pretty great time to be a gamer. We are spoiled for amazing choice. "
    This post pretty much nailed it.

And even though the FPS market is oversaturated with military shooters, there's still a lot of promising stuff on the horizon like Rage, Crysis 2, Xcom, Bioshock: Infinite and whatever the next Valve shooter will be.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Don't worry, the industry will be saved with motion controls.  

You know i'm being sarcastic right?

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By landon

Super Mario Galaxy 2
    Dead Rising 2
    Red Dead Redemption
    Mass Effect 2
    Bayonetta
    Vanquish
    Heavy Rain
    Minecraft
    God of War 3
    Super Street Fighter 4
    Battlefield Bad Company 2

I agree with the OP. This is clearly the worst year of gaming we've had in a long time, it's obviously in a downward spiral.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JoelTGM

Video games get better every year.  One day the new consoles will come out, and it will start up all over again with big new titles.  I don't see why it's dieing just because Call of Duty isn't fresh anymore.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By ch13696

Didn't we all forget Fallout New Vegas? Fallout 3 did bring innovation to the FPS / RPG genre. Fallout New Vegas added on to that innovation as well. There's all kinds of innovations into each genre and it will continue to improve. It's like art and music. Though it came out centuries ago, it's still around with so much improvement that seems to astonish everyone. 

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

To me, the rise of downloadable games offsets any increase in samey FPS games and motion controls.

JoMate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JoMate
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    "

Don't worry, the industry will be saved with motion controls.  

You know i'm being sarcastic right?

"
    let's not forget 3D! 
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By Jeust
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#18  Edited By RsistncE
    @zymase said:

" As this year's holiday releases have started, including Microsoft and Sony's motion sensing add-ons and the latest, newest Kotick money maker COD game, I'm left wondering whether gaming has already reached its apex and is now in a slow, incessant decline.  To focus for a moment on FPS games, Bungie has left Halo for good with Reach, easily the best Halo game made, and every other shooter game tries to mimic Modern Warfare 2.  It built on what Call of Duty 4 had done and may have set the high water mark for shooters, for good.  Between the persistent upgrades online and Spec Ops, nothing has come close since its release and even the recent Black Ops has left many people wanting.    I'm hopeful that Bungie and Respawn will give us something that ups the ante, though I remain cynical.  More thoughts on different game types, and my opinion on Kinect and Move (donde están los killer apps?) next time. "

Uhhhh.... 

Modern Warfare 2 was a mess. Black Ops is more of a true sequel to CoD4, at least that's what I'm hearing from A LOT of people (and I tend to agree with this view point). Additionally Halo is overrated, just like the CoD series, in many aspects. You want good shooters? Go play on the PC. The problem (if you want to call it that, personally I think there's been plenty of great games) you're talking about is largely restricted to consoles because the hardware is starting to stagnate and instead of making new games developers are just putting out sequels on the same game engines because they know they work. Until there is a serious hardware change developers have ZERO incentive to make something really new. There needs to be technological innovation in any given industry for it to change methods of production.
    RoujinX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RoujinX
    @Landon said:
    "Super Mario Galaxy 2 Dead Rising 2 Red Dead Redemption Mass Effect 2 Bayonetta Vanquish Heavy Rain Minecraft God of War 3 Super Street Fighter 4 Battlefield Bad Company 2    I agree with the OP. This is clearly the worst year of gaming we've had in a long time, it's obviously in a downward spiral. "

Civilization 5?
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By Afroman269
    @Landon said:
    " Super Mario Galaxy 2 Dead Rising 2 Red Dead Redemption Mass Effect 2 Bayonetta Vanquish Heavy Rain Minecraft God of War 3 Super Street Fighter 4 Battlefield Bad Company 2    I agree with the OP. This is clearly the worst year of gaming we've had in a long time, it's obviously in a downward spiral. "
    Avatar image for deactivated-5bb67033e3422
    deactivated-5bb67033e3422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Decline and Fall of the Gaming Industry?

2010 has been a great year for gaming, as above;

Super Mario Galaxy 2
    Dead Rising 2
    Red Dead Redemption
    Mass Effect 2
    Vanquish
    Heavy Rain
    Minecraft
    Super Street Fighter 4
    Battlefield Bad Company 2 

Are just a few, move and kinect are just coming in sure they are a bit gimmicky but decline? hell no.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By mikemcn
    @RoujinX said:
    " @Landon said:
    "Super Mario Galaxy 2 Dead Rising 2 Red Dead Redemption Mass Effect 2 Bayonetta Vanquish Heavy Rain Minecraft God of War 3 Super Street Fighter 4 Battlefield Bad Company 2    I agree with the OP. This is clearly the worst year of gaming we've had in a long time, it's obviously in a downward spiral. "
    Civilization 5? "
    Starcraft 2?
    Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Feanor

are people having fun? yes. 

what else matters.

Avatar image for deactivated-608a5477560df
    deactivated-608a5477560df

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zymase said:
     Bungie has left Halo for good with Reach, easily the best Halo game made  
    Halo: Combat Evolved > Halo 2 > Reach > Halo 3 > ODST > Halo Wars 

Halo one was the best game in this series. Halo 2 was great and it was here where the online shined. Reach was better than Halo 3 I'll give you that, but you can't say it's easily the best Halo game ever made especially when it borrows so much from other shooter franchises. 

back to the post, this year was amazing, if I didn't have school to pay for I would have bought many more games than the ones I did buy including: 
    Mass Effect 2 
    Red Dead Redemption 
    Starcraft 2 
    Civilization V 
    Call of Duty: Black Ops 
    and Rockband 3
    Godites

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Godites

You're just being cynical for the sake of being cynical. Black Ops isn't just the "Kotick money maker" you're making it out to be. Modern Warfare 2 was a near complete disaster. Not a bad game by any means, but it seems nearly everyone on Giantbomb are oblivious to it's flaws. Modern Warfare 2 was broken, buggy, and woefully unbalance mess of a multi-player experience. Ifinity Infinity Ward even confirmed the game wasn't beta tested. Not to mention it had an extremely short campaign, even by FPS standards. It took me about 4 hours to finish it. Most expansion packs I've played were longer than that. Spec-Ops was secks though.

Black Ops though, is fantastic. It's what Modern Warfare 2 should've been from the start. It was completely polished, provided well designed maps, and well balance design. It's single-player had a far more cohesive storyline and better pacing than Modern Warfare 2. Not to mention it was was two or three hours longer than MW2. Treyarch are known to be much more community friendly than Infinity Ward. Black Ops is a fantastic game, and it frustrates me that critics are giving more praise to MW2 than Black Ops. It sad to see that they're blinded by hype sometimes. I'm not saying they're being bribed (They aren't), but like I said, they're sometimes blinded by hype.

@Gellrock said:

" @zymase said:
     Bungie has left Halo for good with Reach, easily the best Halo game made  
    Halo: Combat Evolved > Halo 2 > Reach > Halo 3 > ODST > Halo Wars  Halo one was the best game in this series. Halo 2 was great and it was here where the online shined. Reach was better than Halo 3 I'll give you that, but you can't say it's easily the best Halo game ever made especially when it borrows so much from other shooter franchises.  back to the post, this year was amazing, if I didn't have school to pay for I would have bought many more games than the ones I did buy including: Mass Effect 2 Red Dead Redemption Starcraft 2 Civilization V Call of Duty: Black Ops and Rockband 3 "
    I haven't played Reach (I'm not a Halo fan, I do kind of enjoy playing it split-screen  with my friends), but opinions are nearly polarizing on which Halo is the best. With the exception of ODST and Wars, the fanbase is broken on whether which Halo game is the best in the series. In fact, Halo has the most polarizing opinions than any popular game franchises out there. You either believe it deserves the hype and critical acclaim it gets, you either despise it, you moderately like it, you moderately dislike it, or you're indifferent about it. People either love a certain game in the franchise, and dislike others. Opinions are all over the place for Halo, but I'm indifferent towards it. I don't think it's overrated, I can see it's appeal, but it's too slow for my taste. I'm more of a COD guy, but it sickens me that there's a rivalry going on between the rabid fanbase of both franchises.
    zymase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By zymase

To everyone who read this as a bash on 2010 releases, my original post didn't say anything about that.  I simply posted, and think, that gaming as an industry is past its pinnacle.   

Yes, this year has seen a lot of great releases, including several I own and enjoy:  Civilization V, Red Dead Redemption, Super Mario Galaxy 2, and the surprising Kirby's Epic Yarn.  As an industry though, I think video games are more about either mimicking what successful games have done and releasing perennial rehashes to pacify stockholders.  Real, genuine, creative ideas seem fewer and far between as developers are pushed more to justify bottom end than to  push creative envelopes. 

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#27  Edited By Claude

I still wish to play Half Life 2 and its following episodes. Dreams still remain true.

What are they now and what will they become? These FPS video games. Are they for multiplayer type Madden players who seek a once a year bump or is there something more there. Where's the money? Where's my niche as a developer? How do they continue to attract more money?

So many questions.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Diamond
    @zymase said:
    As an industry though, I think video games are more about either mimicking what successful games have done and releasing perennial rehashes to pacify stockholders.  Real, genuine, creative ideas seem fewer and far between as developers are pushed more to justify bottom end than to  push creative envelopes.
    Well if you're going to argue that point I might say the pinnacle of all game design was 1996 or so.  Then we had a large variety of titles and innovation was pretty commonplace.
    Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Burns098356GX

Game copies mimic other games because its what sells. It happens in every facet of business imaginable. It'll take more than a year or two of sub-par FPS's to bring down the industry.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By scarace360
    alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#31  Edited By alistercat
    @Diamond said:

" @zymase said:

As an industry though, I think video games are more about either mimicking what successful games have done and releasing perennial rehashes to pacify stockholders.  Real, genuine, creative ideas seem fewer and far between as developers are pushed more to justify bottom end than to  push creative envelopes.
    Well if you're going to argue that point I might say the pinnacle of all game design was 1996 or so.  Then we had a large variety of titles and innovation was pretty commonplace. "
    Those are just phases though. Like anything, the creativity will level out at a certain point. When videogames were young it was very hard not to come up with something original since nothing existed, but even then it didn't take very long for hundreds of Space Invaders, Pong and Pacman clones. Through the 90s 3D graphics is probbably the biggest change that inspired people's creativity, and these phases will happen whenever a new exciting possibility presents itself to designers. While underwhelming to all the 'hardcore gamers', motion controls have inspired designers to do something creative in a different way. 

Rip-offs, rehashes, clones and whatever these are prevalent throughout the whole history. Business will stifle creativity in certain ways, but there will always be companies that realise the value of creativity in the products in relation to their sales but generally just look at the indie community if you are worried about that. Corporate pressure isn't much of a concern there, and they have to come up with Unique creative games to distinguish themselves as they can't match the scope and production values of big mainstream games. It's the flow of the industry for the moment (things are always changing).

To respond the OP, I think the industry has never been stronger. More people playing games, more jobs for people working on games. The ways that people can make games and get them out there is amazing. A small group of people putting together a game and having it go up on steam or whatever, all the way up to Activision getting Treyarch to make another Call of Duty game for Q4. We have almost all the bases covered at this point for gaming experiences. Ranges of prices, genres, gameplay and everything else. If you can't see that it feels like you're limiting yourself and the games you play. If shooters are the only thing you care about though, then that's your problem. If not, just look around.
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#32  Edited By Vinny_Says

2007- september, Halo 3 is "The biggest launch game in history"
    2008- march, GTA 4 is "the biggest launch game in history" breaking Halo 3's record
    2009- november, MW2 is "the biggest launch game in history" beating GTA 4's launch numbers
    2010- november, Black Ops is "the biggest launch game in history" surpassing sales for MW2 (supposed) 

seems like the opposite of decline, at least for the last 3 years....

Jerome85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Jerome85

COD series >> your favorite game

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By owl_of_minerva

Talking about COD/Halo in relation to motion controls as symbolic of the industry as a whole = lol. You should try different genres, platforms, indie games, European/Japanese-developed games - anything to widen your understanding of what games are.
    Edit: Ok based on what you've written elsewhere your thesis isn't as ridiculous as it at first seemed. I would suggest looking at games developed in other regions and indies for creative ideas, because you're unlikely to seem them in an increasingly corporate Anglo-American development culture. Only a few very privileged developers have a chance of releasing something truly innovative.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#35  Edited By Claude
    @blacklabeldomm said:
    " 2007- september, Halo 3 is "The biggest launch game in history" 2008- march, GTA 4 is "the biggest launch game in history" breaking Halo 3's record 2009- november, MW2 is "the biggest launch game in history" beating GTA 4's launch numbers2010- november, Black Ops is "the biggest launch game in history" surpassing sales for MW2 (supposed)   seems like the opposite of decline, at least for the last 3 years.... "
    Exactly right, and don't tell me I haven't felt the trickle down effect. I didn't play any of those games and have had a great time. I'm rather excited about the future.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MikkaQ

Eh everyone says that every year. Games in general are better than ever, I'd say. Great examples of design all year round. Plus a lot of cool tech.  

Plus, even if one year was bad, that wouldn't necessarily indicate a decline, perhaps the next year would be much better. It's not like games have been getting progressively worse. Some do, some improve. 

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @blacklabeldomm:  He's not saying that the industry is in decline right now.  He's saying he thinks it's peaked as of Q4 2010 and that it will start to decline from this point onwards.  I can't say that I agree with him but there's certainly some merit to his idea when you see just how small the top tier of developers has become.   Games just can't innovate much in the console space due to both platforms being as fixed as they are and Sony and MS might have to ramp up the next cycles of their newer consoles to shake up the developer space in order to redistribute budgets and the talent that goes with them.   

Most of the innovative technical ideas, developers and engines come from the PC space and that's due to the ever increasing capabilities of the PC as a platform.  Console ubiquity is great for repeat sales, but it really isn't so fantastic in terms of encouraging technical and intellectual innovation and games rely on innovation to be able to retain a sense of Zeitgeist.  Case in point : Kinect and Move - two different and slightly more advanced takes on motion controls compared to what's been available on Wii for almost 6 years.  The expenditure involved in bringing motion controls to the HD consoles was exorbitant (likely in the billions) and yet the returns just won't be there because neither console has enough processing power to make use of Motion Controls beyond simple hand flappy, point to shoot or steering gameplay.  Essentially, the console space has too low a ceiling to be able to encourage proper innovation and it's not just a technical limitation either.    

I think that as the industry progresses more towards the Hollywood movie production model (as it seems to be geared to) we will see less innovation, fewer projects in production and larger budgets overall but because games require a lot more outlay for the consumer in terms of consumption (the console, accessories, subscription services and the games themselves - each individually and collectively being a lot more expensive than the price of a movie ticket) the negative consequences of that model could be a lot more damning for the industry as a whole and a lot people (who don't ordinarily game) might end up seeing games as an expensive fad if their interest/attention can't be kept at a premium.  The industry wants games to go as mass market as possible but I personally don't know if the Hollywood production model is the best way to get there.
    Avatar image for deactivated-608a5477560df
    deactivated-608a5477560df

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Godites: Very nice post, I will agree with you on this and will disregard my last post. 
    Blitzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#39  Edited By Blitzer

If you mean in quality, I agree. But you gotta take into account the nostalgia factor. Games will never be as good as the used to be for me.  As far as media coverage and gaming becoming the "norm", it's increasing. Look how well Halo and CoD sell.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By iam3green

no, i don't think there will be a decline in the video game industry. the industry is just growing and trying new things, like motion controls. if it sells good then we are going to have motion controls, sadly.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.