Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Black Ops

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 09, 2010

The seventh installment of the long-running action franchise, Call of Duty: Black Ops puts players into the early era of the Cold War (including the Vietnam War) as a member of the United States black operations unit known as the SOG.

I dont know whats wrong with Black Ops, but I'm not feeling it.

NeverDeadXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By NeverDeadXE

Anyone else not having fun when they play Black Ops? I don't know if it's that ghost and second chance is ruining the game. Or if the weapons need to be re-balanced. So most nights when I play, I seem to end up moving on to another game in about 30 minutes. Maybe this is the break I need, I can finally move on to other games without feeling bad about not playing Call of Duty. I'm going to try to play more open world games and work on some of the games i didn't play last year.

NeverDeadXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By NeverDeadXE

Anyone else not having fun when they play Black Ops? I don't know if it's that ghost and second chance is ruining the game. Or if the weapons need to be re-balanced. So most nights when I play, I seem to end up moving on to another game in about 30 minutes. Maybe this is the break I need, I can finally move on to other games without feeling bad about not playing Call of Duty. I'm going to try to play more open world games and work on some of the games i didn't play last year.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By TheGreatGuero

This is how I feel about the campaign. People keep saying it's the best yet (which I find really hard to believe anyway, since topping COD4's masterpiece of a campaign would be no small feat), but I can't get into it. I'm bored and find myself not caring much for the story or what's going on. I don't like the whole interrogation aspect that guides the story, but really, I think what's ultimately keeping me from enjoying the game like I want to is the fact it's the same game I've been playing for four years. We still haven't seen any significant additions or improvements to the formula, so it's getting pretty old. 

Same goes for Halo: Reach, though, so maybe I'm just bored with shooters in general. I'm a Halo fan and want to enjoy Reach, but it's just not sucking me in whatsoever. I find myself not that interested in the way the game presents it's story, and I couldn't care less about the characters. I'm starting to come to the conclusion that maybe these two games just aren't all that great to begin with.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By SomeJerk

I had more fun with MW2 despite more hackers being in MW2 and the hosting being terrible P2P (PC player here) and the quickscoping (worse with mouse-users) and the tubing (fun killing the entire enemy team at the start of a round, I admit) and the sniper-loving maps and the bad maps but yeah. What the freak. I can stand thirty minutes a session and no more. I'm having a blast with my builds for thirty, currently using nothing but the revolver, kicking ass and hitting top three, but it's just a struggle to feel for it. If we had MW2 maps in Blops it would be a different deal for me.

I could use the space on my SSD better. Like.. seeing how GTA4 runs on an SSD. Yeah. 'later Blops.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Kazona

I never bough the game since I know it's basically going to be the same thing, with a couple of new things here and there. I play games for their campaign, and even if this is the best story yet, it's still basically over the top action. It went too over the top in the last game, and this one doesn't look any different.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Pezen

For the multiplayer side of it, it certainly is in the details. At a glance it feels just like it has, but there are some tweaks that make it a bit of a thing to get used to. As for the campaign, it seems good enough so far, but then, I love punishing myself by playing it all on veteran.

NeverDeadXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NeverDeadXE
    @somejerk:  that's pretty much exactly what I do. Do you feel like the guns are unbalanced, or is that just me?
    Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Sayishere

i would say black ops is a slower paced game which requires more bullets to kill people due to no stopping power

this added with perks like ghost just makes it quite boring at times

i would say MW2, despite all its cheap tactics like grenade launchers and commando lunges, it was just more fun

at least trey arch is patching the game

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By PeasantAbuse

This is definitely my favorite COD game since COD4.  I really enjoyed the campaign, plus the multiplayer is way more fun than MW2's and WaW's.  The wager matches (specifically Gun Game and Sticks and Stones) are extremely fun to play with friends.
    SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SomeJerk
    @NeverDeadXE said:
    " @somejerk:  that's pretty much exactly what I do. Do you feel like the guns are unbalanced, or is that just me? "
    Absolutely! In the middle of a game, I can pick up certain SMGs or assault rifles and go on 10+ sprees with ease, while with a lot of other weapons there is no chance. For a while I was never killed by anything besides AK74u, Famas and knives.
    sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By sjupp

I feel that I'm the one that is unbalanced. Nerf me!

Having played quite a bit of it, I too feel that there is "something" missing. It doesn't feel as sharp as MW2 to me.

NeverDeadXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NeverDeadXE
    @somejerk:  its good to hear that someone else that isnt zzirgrizz is getting killed by bullshit.
    yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By yakov456

I'm split on it. The single player is the worst yet for me, it just feels so bland and it's not sucking me in like previous ones. I've had more fun with the mp stuff when compared to previous efforts though. Something about the mp just feels better.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#13  Edited By project343

For me, it's a combination of the level design and the spawn system (I haven't played it in a while--might have been fixed?). I enjoy all of their perk/weapon balances. A lot, even. But man, those environments are trash, the layout is trash, and the spawn system makes the game almost unplayable.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#14  Edited By ArbitraryWater

To be fair, it's more Call of Duty. I wasn't especially enthralled by the single player, but I think the multiplayer is more balanced than MW2. And all my friends are playing it. But I think this will be the last of the series for me.

Avatar image for shadowknight508
    ShadowKnight508

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By ShadowKnight508

For some reason, the Online MP modes is just boring as hell (similar to what made me hate MW2's online modes). I enjoyed the campaign, but not as much as the campaign in MW or WaW. I mostly play Black Ops nowadays for the Zombie mode only.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By zombie2011

I didn't like most of the maps, as well as the kill-streaks.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By Enigma777

I just traded in my copy to Amazon for $32. Not bad considering I only paid $39.99 for it.

Helushune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Helushune

The campaign's not that good.  NPCs constantly yelling "MASON!" and "What do the numbers mean?!" is excessive and obnoxious. 

On the MP side, I've plugged a fair amount of hours in to it.  It suffers from some really poor player prediction code that occurs with or without a poor connection and the frequency of the client update/ticks is pretty bad.   There's been multiple moments where I knife someone, they turn around and kill me where I'm standing, then go run off somewhere else.  I know why it's happening on a code/networking level but it's still absolute garbage and could have been vastly improved.  Not to say that MW2 was perfect, but it had much better networking code than codblops.  Not to mention, the extreme frame rate drops that occur while playing any sort of MP on blops is absolutely absurd and shouldn't happen.

conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By conker

While I enjoyed MW2 more, and still play it, COD4 is still the best for me. The weapons were amazing, the maps were just fantastic, and everyone had the same kill streaks. 

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Aus_azn
    @TheGreatGuero said:
    " This is how I feel about the campaign. People keep saying it's the best yet (which I find really hard to believe anyway, since topping COD4's masterpiece of a campaign would be no small feat), but I can't get into it. I'm bored and find myself not caring much for the story or what's going on. I don't like the whole interrogation aspect that guides the story, but really, I think what's ultimately keeping me from enjoying the game like I want to is the fact it's the same game I've been playing for four years. We still haven't seen any significant additions or improvements to the formula, so it's getting pretty old.   Same goes for Halo: Reach, though, so maybe I'm just bored with shooters in general. I'm a Halo fan and want to enjoy Reach, but it's just not sucking me in whatsoever. I find myself not that interested in the way the game presents it's story, and I couldn't care less about the characters. I'm starting to come to the conclusion that maybe these two games just aren't all that great to begin with. "
    I actually wanted to vomit after playing BlOps' campaign. It made MW2's mediocre Hollywood campaign seem like a goldmine made entirely of gold. I found the vast majority of missions pointless and the only thing that made the campaign even remotely tolerable was Reznov and his badass-ness. Of course, once the game tells you...
     Caused me to write the campaign off as "worse than both Halo 2 and Halo 3".

I have yet to play an FPS with a campaign as good as CoD4's.
    Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#21  Edited By Little_Socrates
    @Aus_azn said:
    " @TheGreatGuero said:
    " This is how I feel about the campaign. People keep saying it's the best yet (which I find really hard to believe anyway, since topping COD4's masterpiece of a campaign would be no small feat), but I can't get into it. I'm bored and find myself not caring much for the story or what's going on. I don't like the whole interrogation aspect that guides the story, but really, I think what's ultimately keeping me from enjoying the game like I want to is the fact it's the same game I've been playing for four years. We still haven't seen any significant additions or improvements to the formula, so it's getting pretty old.   Same goes for Halo: Reach, though, so maybe I'm just bored with shooters in general. I'm a Halo fan and want to enjoy Reach, but it's just not sucking me in whatsoever. I find myself not that interested in the way the game presents it's story, and I couldn't care less about the characters. I'm starting to come to the conclusion that maybe these two games just aren't all that great to begin with. "
    I actually wanted to vomit after playing BlOps' campaign. It made MW2's mediocre Hollywood campaign seem like a goldmine made entirely of gold. I found the vast majority of missions pointless and the only thing that made the campaign even remotely tolerable was Reznov and his badass-ness. Of course, once the game tells you...
     Caused me to write the campaign off as "worse than both Halo 2 and Halo 3". I have yet to play an FPS with a campaign as good as CoD4's. "
    Your spoiler is incorrect. Just saying. 

I very much liked the campaign, but after finishing it, I have no interest in playing more Call of Duty. I'll play zombies occasionally, but that's about it. 

That is, I would if there wasn't so much else on my plate as I prepare for the GOTY deliberations with my buddy.
    Helushune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Helushune
    @Aus_azn: MW2's campaign was absolute garbage.  Completely over the top "Hey guise, look, we're dropping a ton of bombs now".  MW1's was far, far superior.
    Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Aus_azn
    @Little_Socrates: Eh, it's been a while... I thought that was why he made repeated appearances, to guide Mason to eliminate the main antagonist of the game.

@Helushune: Hence why I said it made the "mediocre Hollywood campaign" seem like a gold mine. MW2's campaign blew, I'm saying that this was worse.
    Helushune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Helushune
    @Aus_azn: So you did.  I totally read that wrong, my apologies.  I wouldn't say blops is worse, MW2 was full of "Really?  That's really happening?" moments, blops was full "God, shut the hell up already".
    Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#25  Edited By Little_Socrates
    @Aus_azn:  SPOILER WARNING: Click here to reveal hidden content.
    hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By hockeymask27

Cod 4 is still think king but BO has come close. I like it so much more than MW2 and WAWMP40 fest.

XTraFries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By XTraFries

I can say that, at least on the multiplayer side of things, the times when I'm not having fun are directly tied to the times where I'm stuck playing against people who have been playing nonstop since CoD4. 

I played the original modern warfare a decent amount and haven't played one since Black Ops. So clearly, I'm a bit rusty. But goddamn...when you're trying to just get a feel for the flow of the game and the gun you just unlocked and the maps, but are getting worked over like a bitch by dudes who have a 74 and 3 KDR, it's just....not fun. 

I think it's a similar thing to fighting games. When you play against people relative to your skill level, it can be really fun. If you're getting blasted by the people who do nothing BUT play the game, it gets really old really fast. 

adziboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By adziboy
    @Sayishere said:
    " i would say black ops is a slower paced game which requires more bullets to kill people due to no stopping power  this added with perks like ghost just makes it quite boring at times  i would say MW2, despite all its cheap tactics like grenade launchers and commando lunges, it was just more fun  at least trey arch is patching the game "
    I don't see any real difference in the amount of bullets. It takes me something like 3 or 4 bullets sometimes. Also, ghost was already in the game, right? Cold-blooded? Everyone keeps saying its a new perk but I'm 99% sure it's the same as cold-blooded.
    Alphonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Alphonzo

Something about MW2 just felt better, and its multiplayer maps were much more well-designed. I'm waaay better at Black Ops than I ever was at the others, but the way it flows just doesn't feel quite right.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.