Is Black Ops for me?

#1 Posted by Truant19 (197 posts) -

Hey guys, I wasn't originally going to get Black Ops since I hate MW2, but with all the hype and people saying its way better then MW2, i am starting to second guess me self.

Here are the things I hated about MW2,

The guns that took no skill, that could kill someone with 2 shots in the toe from 1234923 feet away.
The arena type re-spawning that put you behind objectives and other players
The terrible voice chat on ps3
the terrible party system on ps3
the ridiculously over priced DLC

#2 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

Play it, find out.

#3 Posted by sodiumCyclops (2644 posts) -
@HandsomeDead said:
" Play it, find out. "
Don't ask a bunch of gamers that have vastly different views about whether or not to purchase a game. Don't be lazy.
#4 Edited by Truant19 (197 posts) -

lazy has nothing to do with it, I dont have $60, or a place to rent it.

I would trust other gamers over critiques anyway.

#5 Posted by rosebud04 (360 posts) -

rent it! 

#6 Posted by REIGN (252 posts) -
@Truant19 said:
" lazy has nothing to do with it, I dont have $60, or a place to rent it.  I would trust other gamers over critiques anyway. "
LOL if you don't have $60 or somewhere to rent it then no, Black Ops isn't for you.
#7 Posted by groin (860 posts) -
@REIGN said:
" @Truant19 said:
" lazy has nothing to do with it, I dont have $60, or a place to rent it.  I would trust other gamers over critiques anyway. "
LOL if you don't have $60 or somewhere to rent it then no, Black Ops isn't for you. "
This man wins the thread.
#8 Posted by Djeffers03 (2545 posts) -
@Truant19 said:
Steal it then?
#9 Posted by RespectTheNerd (17 posts) -

well it takes more shots to kill people but the spawns are just as bad as mw2
#10 Posted by Truant19 (197 posts) -

I meant, I don't have $60 to waste on a game I wont like.

#11 Posted by REIGN (252 posts) -
@Truant19 said:
" I meant, I don't have $60 to waste on a game I wont like. "
Got it. I am confident in saying that if you hated all the bad in MW2, but still liked the core gameplay, that you will love Black Ops
#12 Posted by Illmatic (1358 posts) -

The guns have a significant increase in recoil now, making them require more thought when aiming when compared to MW2.
The respawning seems ok, though I have found myself respawning a little too close to opposing team members on some occasions.
Can't speak for the ps3 points since I own it on the 360.
DLC....well.....there isnt any out yet sooo....yeah.
The multiplayer basically feels like MW2 but toned down from how chaotic it used to be.
The singleplayer seems good so far (halfway through), but it still has that little tinge of the Treyarch feel that I can't seem to put my finger on. It's definitely their best game though (Treyarch's I mean).

#13 Posted by LiquidPrince (16176 posts) -
@Truant19 said:
" The terrible voice chat on ps3 the terrible party system on ps3 the ridiculously over priced DLC "
I had no problems with that stuff.
#14 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5293 posts) -

Yes if you play it on a 360 (For better party and chat options), never buy any of the DLC and learn how to aim, it can be pretty fun.

Unfortunately I got nothing for the spawn points, you'll just have to wait until Treyarch patches more in.

Surely you must have one friend out there that has the game. Just mooch off of him and see how you like it. If anything it's more of the same COD with a ton of extra stuff thrown in.

Or you could just watch this.

#15 Posted by DrPockets000 (2859 posts) -

Most of the guns are only lethal from 1234941 feet away or less, so you should be good.

#16 Posted by Truant19 (197 posts) -
@wolf_blitzer85 said:
" Yes if you play it on a 360 (For better party and chat options), never buy any of the DLC and learn how to aim, it can be pretty fun.

Unfortunately I got nothing for the spawn points, you'll just have to wait until Treyarch patches more in.

Surely you must have one friend out there that has the game. Just mooch off of him and see how you like it. If anything it's more of the same COD with a ton of extra stuff thrown in.

Or you could just watch this. "
that's the exact opposite problem. Aiming is way to easy in MW2, with the aim assist and insanely powerful and accurate guns.
#17 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5293 posts) -

I've been playing it a little bit, and it seems like the game is a little stricter on where you are aiming, however it could be that I just suck..

Either way I am enjoying it and I'm not much of a Call of Duty guy.

#18 Posted by Godites (105 posts) -

You should buy it, it's the best Call of Duty title since the fourth one. It resolves all of the issues from Modern Warfare 2's multi-player, and a provides a far more cohesive single-player experience.

#19 Edited by shivermetimbers (793 posts) -

I wrote a review on the site if you want to read it. It seems more balanced that MW2, but not much has changed beyond that. There are some new modes though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.