Is Black Ops worse or better than Modern Warfare 2?

• 71 results
#1 Edited by GhostlyEnigma (253 posts) -

I pretty much avoided Black Ops, after I lost all faith in the series after playing the broken camp fest known as MW2. So I naturally skipped Black Ops upon release. I've been hearing mixed views towards Black Ops. I hear some people say that the game is a vast improvement over Black Ops by removing quick scoping with sniper rifles, removing the One Man Army perk, balanced the weapons, took out nukes, and you're not able to duel-wield shotguns anymore. I've heard some people claiming it as worse than MW2, for having bad hit detectin, poor maps, and a broken spawning system.  

Should I purchase this game? Or should I just stick with Battlefield: Bad Company 2?

#2 Posted by fwylo (3556 posts) -

Get Brotherhood instead.

#3 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

Black Ops is definitely a step forward in the Call of Duty franchise. At least Singleplayer wise.

#4 Posted by GhostlyEnigma (253 posts) -
@fwylo said:
"Get Brotherhood instead. "

I already own it, and it's awesome. NEXT!
#5 Posted by YukoAsho (2045 posts) -

Black Ops is better balanced than MW2, and Treyarch seems pretty dedicated to weeding out cheaters.  It's definitely the best game the series has seen.

#6 Posted by Mcfart (1624 posts) -

Best game so far.

#7 Posted by GhostlyEnigma (253 posts) -
@YukoAsho said:
"Black Ops is better balanced than MW2, and Treyarch seems pretty dedicated to weeding out cheaters.  It's definitely the best game the series has seen. "

It's better than Call of Duty 4? Really?!
#8 Posted by KillyDarko (1888 posts) -

The single player campaign is much better in BLOPS than in MW2, but since it looks like you're looking for a MP experience, yeah... I'd definitely still stick with Battlefield: BC2.

#9 Posted by ManlyBeast (1153 posts) -

Both are casual shit.

#10 Posted by natetodamax (19205 posts) -
I think it's miles better than Modern Warfare 2

I'm not sure why some people are complaining about the spawns. They aren't that bad. The only time I've ever found them frustrating is on Nuketown, but that's unavoidable because the map is so small. I would highly recommend it.
#11 Posted by GhostlyEnigma (253 posts) -
@ManlyBeast said:
"Both are casual shit. "

Blast those darn casual gamers! Gaming should belong to basement dwelling nerds only! I hate it when I see my grandmother enjoy Wii Sports! 

Both games may be shite, but don't bring the "Casual vs. Hardcore" topic here.
#12 Posted by gamb1t (965 posts) -

Better then MW2.

#13 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

there isnt an answer really 

cod has lost its uniqueness and it's "which installment is better" debate when it became an annual game 
they're all the same, they're all fun with entertaining single player sequences and competitive multiplayer rounds, however they no longer qualify as good games or good products. they're an annual one night stand

#14 Posted by GhostlyEnigma (253 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
"there isnt an answer really  cod has lost its uniqueness and it's "which installment is better" debate when it became an annual game they're all the same, they're all fun with entertaining single player sequences and competitive multiplayer rounds, however they no longer qualify as good games or good products. they're an annual one night stand "

You find Modern Warfare 2 to be competitive? 
#15 Posted by nickux (1385 posts) -

I actually like many of the changes they made to the MP. First, by making sure killstreaks don't stack. That's the best thing they did, in my opinion. So if you get 5 kills, call in an airstrike which kills two people, you don't bump up to your 7-killstreak reward. You have to earn the next two on your own. Those kills still count to your overall score but they're independent of your killstreak. I also like the perks available none seem overpowered. Not only are shotguns no longer dual-wield but they are a primary weapon- not secondary. So if you use a shotgun you've really got to balance how you play. As far as camping- I don't know. If somebody sits in one place and kills people I just go where they are and take care of it. Nothing annoys me more in any online game then having a game end to hear some fuck bitching "camperrrrrs!!!" That's wayyy more annoying than campers themselves. The game isn't perfect- some of the maps aren't great (WMD to name one) but it's a good game- I don't feel the urge to complain about every little thing.

#16 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5255 posts) -
@fwylo said:
" Get Brotherhood instead. "
#17 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

Better.

#18 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

Singleplayer is better, multiplayer has been the same since the first war shooter ever.

#19 Posted by Afro_Stevens (79 posts) -

I'd have to say that the spawns and certain killstreak rewards are broken, namely the Cobra strike. Even when I have the Ghost perk equipped with a silencer, the stupid helicopter can still see me. HOW?!?!??!??!!?

#20 Posted by GhostlyEnigma (253 posts) -
@TaliciaDragonsong said:
"Singleplayer is better, multiplayer has been the same since the first war shooter ever. "

Exactly! Just like how COD4 didn't invent the RPG leveling system for mult-player 7 years ago.
#21 Posted by iBePeRFeCT (396 posts) -

I think it is an improvement of MW2 but I still think COD 4 was the best.  If you played and enjoyed COD4 then I think you'll enjoy Black Ops more than you ever did MW2.

#22 Edited by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

In my opinion overall it's worse.  There are aspects that are better, but I enjoyed MW2 as a whole more than I did Black Ops.  Spec Ops was much more enjoyable than Zombies to me, the campaign was more fun, and the online multiplayer was more fun.  Black Ops is still good, and I do like the Combat Training more than MW2's online, as it's pure fun and no stress from lag, but I liked MW2 more.

#23 Posted by gamb1t (965 posts) -
@MrForty7 said:
" I think it is an improvement of MW2 but I still think COD 4 was the best.  If you played and enjoyed COD4 then I think you'll enjoy Black Ops more than you ever did MW2. "
Hit it on the money!
#24 Edited by Griffinhollow (48 posts) -
@Afro_Stevens said:

" I'd have to say that the spawns and certain killstreak rewards are broken, namely the Cobra strike. Even when I have the Ghost perk equipped with a silencer, the stupid helicopter can still see me. HOW?!?!??!??!!? "

Ghost only hides you from spy planes. You need Ghost Pro to hide from everything else.
#25 Posted by TheGremp (2064 posts) -

Just keep playing Bad Company 2.  It's better than any CoD game could ever hope to be.

#26 Edited by GhostlyEnigma (253 posts) -
@TheGremp said:

"Just keep playing Bad Company 2.  It's better than any CoD game could ever hope to be. "

Battlefield 2 > Call of Duty 4 > Call of Duty > Battlefield: Bad Company 2 > Call of Duty: World at War > Call of Duty 2> Call of Duty 3 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Moden Warfare 2
#27 Posted by Steve_C (1751 posts) -

Given i've only played this and MW1+2, it's the worst single-player experience out of the lot. It kept making me angry. So poorly designed in areas.

Haven't touched the multi so I can't judge that.

#28 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2712 posts) -

Best CoD since 4, so its a step in the right direction. 
#29 Posted by bushpusherr (782 posts) -

Bad company 2 would have been a lot better if it could actually keep games populated, and if there were more than 4 maps for TDM.  As far as a multiplayer standpoint, Black Ops is far and away better than MW2.  It's not even close.  The maps are far superior and balanced overall.  The spawning is really only an issue on a few maps (Nuketown, and Launch), but overall the maps are very well designed.  The perks, guns, attachments, equiptment, and most certianly killstreaks are all much more balanced. 

CoD2 is still my favorite game in the series, but BLOPS is giving CoD4 a run for it's money.  People might bitch that it's too casual...but good players still rise to the top.  BLOPS widens the skill gap much more than MW2 did, giving shitty players less stupid shit to get cheap kills with.
#30 Posted by GhostlyEnigma (253 posts) -
@bushpusherr said:

"People might bitch that it's too casual...but good players still rise to the top.  BLOPS widens the skill gap much more than MW2 did, giving shitty players less stupid shit to get cheap kills with. "

People these days often forget the difference between accessibility, and what is easy these days. 

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/extra-credits/2454-Easy-Games      

COD4 = Accessible 

MW2 = Piss easy!

I plan to purchase Black Ops soon based on your recommendation. Thanks.  
#31 Posted by Kouerson (242 posts) -

Black Ops has better maps than MW2? That's the first time I've heard that, these are some bland ass maps. 

Overall the changes make it a better MP experience, but it just feels janky and it would have all been better in MW2.

#32 Posted by Afro_Stevens (79 posts) -
@Griffinhollow: Ohhhhhhhhh. Now I feel noobish.
#33 Posted by CptChiken (1987 posts) -

I think its better, i prefer the online, seems like there are less glitches and cheaters around. I just wish they fixed that fucking party matchmaker.

#34 Posted by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -
@GhostlyEnigma said:
" @YukoAsho said:
"Black Ops is better balanced than MW2, and Treyarch seems pretty dedicated to weeding out cheaters.  It's definitely the best game the series has seen. "
It's better than Call of Duty 4? Really?! "
Yeah it's the best COD yet.
#35 Posted by GhostlyEnigma (253 posts) -
@CptChiken said:
"I think its better, i prefer the online, seems like there are less glitches and cheaters around. I just wish they fixed that fucking party matchmaker. "

The series had matchmaking problems since COD4. I thought MW2 would address COD4's matchmaking problems, but Infinity Ward only made it worse. But is the matchmaking in Black Ops worse than MW2?
#36 Posted by Dylabaloo (1549 posts) -
@Kouerson said:
" Black Ops has better maps than MW2? That's the first time I've heard that, these are some bland ass maps.  Overall the changes make it a better MP experience, but it just feels janky and it would have all been better in MW2. "
That seems to be the general consensus among everybody I know. 
#37 Posted by GhostlyEnigma (253 posts) -
@DOUBLESHOCK said:
" @GhostlyEnigma said:
" @YukoAsho said:
It's better than Call of Duty 4? Really?! "
Yeah it's the best COD yet. "

That's quite an accomplishment. Because Call of Duty 4 was one of the best first-person shooters ever created.  

I'll probably be flamed by an insane Call of Duty hater, or someone would quote to agree with me. Take your bets people.
#38 Posted by Joeybagad0nutz (1438 posts) -
@Bloodgraiv3 said:
"Best CoD since 4, so its a step in the right direction.  "
#39 Posted by Twist3d (58 posts) -
@YukoAsho said:
" Black Ops is better balanced than MW2, and Treyarch seems pretty dedicated to weeding out cheaters.  It's definitely the best game the series has seen. "
modern warfare pisses over all of them eaven still, as for the main question,  its on par with modern warfare to be fair they have fixed issues that occured in modern warfare but have also created some new issues. the whole call of duty franchise needs scrapping and starting from scratch with a whole new engine in my opinion but hey thats just me.
#40 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5826 posts) -

Try not to suck as much at MP

#41 Posted by GhostlyEnigma (253 posts) -
@Twist3d said:
" @YukoAsho said:
" Black Ops is better balanced than MW2, and Treyarch seems pretty dedicated to weeding out cheaters.  It's definitely the best game the series has seen. "
modern warfare pisses over all of them eaven still, as for the main question,  its on par with modern warfare to be fair they have fixed issues that occured in modern warfare but have also created some new issues. the whole call of duty franchise needs scrapping and starting from scratch with a whole new engine in my opinion but hey thats just me. "
They should just end the series after Modern Warfare 3. But that's not going to happen. You know how Kotick is.
@FancySoapsMan said:
"Try not to suck as much at MP "

I've been ranked as Captain in a few days on COD 4. :P
#42 Posted by nick_verissimo (1385 posts) -

I'm in the minority and really liked MW2 over Blops.  I really liked how fucked up and retarded the single player campaign was in MW2 and Blops was just a little too boring in comparison. After the first couple of missions, my desire to finish the single player diminished greatly over time and the ending, to me anyways, was pretty garbage.  Besides the ante up MP games, the experience wasn't all that great.  The maps to me were terrible as I'd go stretches of 4-5 minutes without seeing anyone.  Id say just avoid it altogether and go play COD 4 if people are still playing that.

#43 Posted by Twist3d (58 posts) -
@nick_verissimo said:
" I'm in the minority and really liked MW2 over Blops.  I really liked how fucked up and retarded the single player campaign was in MW2 and Blops was just a little too boring in comparison. After the first couple of missions, my desire to finish the single player diminished greatly over time and the ending, to me anyways, was pretty garbage.  Besides the ante up MP games, the experience wasn't all that great.  The maps to me were terrible as I'd go stretches of 4-5 minutes without seeing anyone.  Id say just avoid it altogether and go play COD 4 if people are still playing that. "
apparently Cod4 is still being updated :D, and to be honest i liked modern warfare too lol
#44 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

it's better than mw2. it is way more balanced. the only problem with spawning is that chopper and things can get you. 

i thought that there could have been better perks. these perks have been around since world at war and modern warfare 2.

#45 Posted by President_Barackbar (3462 posts) -

Its the best modern COD game on consoles. On PC its mediocre at best.

#46 Edited by WickedFather (1733 posts) -

CODBLOPS single player campaign is dull.  I've already sold the game but won't sell MW2 because the singleplayer is crazy mad excellent fun, and so was Modern Warfare.  The single player in World at War also has you bonding with Reznov in a much tighter way.  There was no swell of awe when I met Reznov again, not like your reuniting with Price in MW2.  That was wonderful.

The multiplayer in BLAWPS is definitely more balanced but the maps are so run of the mill that I got bored of it and went back to Bad Company 2 and MW2.  You're missing very little if you decide to skip it.

#47 Posted by AlfredCapone (164 posts) -
@GhostlyEnigma: 
About the same
#48 Posted by bobafettjm (1485 posts) -

I think the multiplayer is a lot better than MW2. I played around 400 hours total in MW2, and I already like Black Ops more. It seems a lot more balanced, and Treyarch seems to be paying much more attention to glitches or possible unbalance.

#49 Posted by RYNO9881 (625 posts) -

I can't imagine a more batcrap insane and totally awesome single player being better than MW2.

#50 Posted by 27thRed_Martyr (118 posts) -
More balance less camping,  more balance weapons, better map voting 
, their are less under barrel Grenade launchers and bullet delay i find that a good thing, but the spawn system is still broken, and  maps are very very bad. You should get Both.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.