Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Black Ops

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 09, 2010

The seventh installment of the long-running action franchise, Call of Duty: Black Ops puts players into the early era of the Cold War (including the Vietnam War) as a member of the United States black operations unit known as the SOG.

Read JFK's E-mail in Call of Duty: Black Ops

• 70 results
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff

This image is so extremely secret that it had to be uploaded upside-down. Sshhhh! 
    This image is so extremely secret that it had to be uploaded upside-down. Sshhhh! 
    Well, I hope you're all having a happy Call of Duty: Black Ops day. Did anyone take the day off work, or are we past that? Anyway, one of my favorite parts of Black Ops is almost completely outside of the main game. It's a hidden computer terminal that you can access that contains a lot of concept art and soundtrack access, but more interesting than that is the series of e-mail accounts you can hack into and read. Yes, Richard Nixon has an e-mail account. I know that's hard to wrap your mind around, given the timeframe that all this takes place in, but like most of the anachronistic aspects of Black Ops, it's best to not think about it very hard.

Getting to the terminal is easy: while you're sitting in the chair in the main menu, hit the left and right triggers on your controller a few times. L, R, L, R, L, R, L, R, L, R! After a few back and forths, Mason will rise up, free himself from his shackles, and you'll be able to wander around the room. From there, the only thing to do is either sit back down or head to the back of the room 

So the obvious things to do in the Black Ops terminal are the DOA and ZORK commands. DOA unlocks Dead Ops Arcade, a cool dual-joystick shooter that you can find on the zombies menu once you've got it open. ZORK, as you might have guessed, launches the classic text adventure, Zork. Yeah, dude. Zork!

But there's more to do in the terminal that just unlock that stuff. Typing in "3arc Intel" will let you open up all of the intel documents, though that'll prevent you from earning the trophy or achievement tied to unlocking them naturally. And you can also read Mason's e-mail by launching the mail client (by typing "mail" into the terminal).

The "who" command gives you a list of accounts on the system and the "login" command lets you attempt to login as another user. This is where it starts to get interesting, since each user has his own e-mail inbox and some extra concept art to see. Most of the passwords I've figured out so far have been relatively straightforward, but they aren't really found in the game. Instead, a little Wikipedia scouring turned up passwords for multiple presidents and a Manhattan Project head.

There's probably more to do here--I still haven't figured out how to get on the remote Dreamland server run by Majestic-12--but here are a few passwords to get you going.

l: jfkennedy
    p: lancer

l: rnixon
    p: checkers

l: lbjohnson
    p: ladybird

l: vbush
    p: manhattan

And if you ever want to get back into Mason's account, amason's password is the most obvious of all... it's password.

Let me know if you find anything else, and good luck!    
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By jeff

Well, I hope you're all having a happy Call of Duty: Black Ops day. Did anyone take the day off work, or are we past that? Anyway, one of my favorite parts of Black Ops is almost completely outside of the main game. It's a hidden computer terminal that you can access that contains a lot of concept art and soundtrack access, but more interesting than that is the series of e-mail accounts you can hack into and read. Yes, Richard Nixon has an e-mail account. I know that's hard to wrap your mind around, given the timeframe that all this takes place in, but like most of the anachronistic aspects of Black Ops, it's best to not think about it very hard.

Getting to the terminal is easy: while you're sitting in the chair in the main menu, hit the left and right triggers on your controller a few times. L, R, L, R, L, R, L, R, L, R! After a few back and forths, Mason will rise up, free himself from his shackles, and you'll be able to wander around the room. From there, the only thing to do is either sit back down or head to the back of the room 

So the obvious things to do in the Black Ops terminal are the DOA and ZORK commands. DOA unlocks Dead Ops Arcade, a cool dual-joystick shooter that you can find on the zombies menu once you've got it open. ZORK, as you might have guessed, launches the classic text adventure, Zork. Yeah, dude. Zork!

But there's more to do in the terminal that just unlock that stuff. Typing in "3arc Intel" will let you open up all of the intel documents, though that'll prevent you from earning the trophy or achievement tied to unlocking them naturally. And you can also read Mason's e-mail by launching the mail client (by typing "mail" into the terminal).

The "who" command gives you a list of accounts on the system and the "login" command lets you attempt to login as another user. This is where it starts to get interesting, since each user has his own e-mail inbox and some extra concept art to see. Most of the passwords I've figured out so far have been relatively straightforward, but they aren't really found in the game. Instead, a little Wikipedia scouring turned up passwords for multiple presidents and a Manhattan Project head.

There's probably more to do here--I still haven't figured out how to get on the remote Dreamland server run by Majestic-12--but here are a few passwords to get you going.

l: jfkennedy
    p: lancer

l: rnixon
    p: checkers

l: lbjohnson
    p: ladybird

l: vbush
    p: manhattan

And if you ever want to get back into Mason's account, amason's password is the most obvious of all... it's password.

Let me know if you find anything else, and good luck!    
    Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Lukeweizer

Wait a minute... the main menu is a torture room?! I need to get home and play!!

P.S. Sorry for stealing someone's quest.

FlyingRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By FlyingRat

Do you not know about the little dual joystick shooter minigame, Jeff? I forget what the command was that you have to type in.

Edit: Oh wait, totally in there. Sorry, didn't read every word.

MattDementous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By MattDementous

XD weird!

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Dalai

I already knew about this. Marilyn Monroe tweeted about it.

MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By MistaSparkle

My friend told me if you type in DOA you can play a dual stick shooter, but I'm not sure.

FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By FlipperDesert

I have no interest in actually playing Black Ops but to hear there was a super-hidden terminal with Zork on it in the game's main menu made my brain 'splode and I kinda wanna see just that part of it.

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jeff
    @FlipperDesert: Be sure to watch the Quick Look when it goes up, we've got a lot of this stuff in there.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By natetodamax

Whoa, that's sick. Thanks for the info! I'll have to try this out.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#10  Edited By Brackynews

"...ask what you can sudo from your command prompt."

So now the obvious question: does this make it okay to call Treyarch cool?
    I'm not sure who's in charge of public opinion on whether Treyarch has ever had an original idea, but freeing yourself from bondage only to load up a game of Zork is pretty damn cool.

If the multiplayer menu could work with the same concept, I can see having a lot of geeky fun with it. You can set up a private server, but you have reformat the box and install a new OS first. :)

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11  Edited By jorbear
    @Jeff: When is the quick look coming up? I'm really on the fence about this game, as I've never been a huge COD fan.
    Nunchuckles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Nunchuckles

I want to play, but my PS3 YLOD'd

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Jimbo

Majestic-12 is a thing outside of Deus Ex?  I had no idea.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#14  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Alright. Sold. Again.

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Steve_C

You have a guide feature yo!

halberdierv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By halberdierv2

DOA? dead ops? I thought it was gonna be Dead or Alive Volleyball :(

DougWilliams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DougWilliams

Well after a fair bit of trial an error and mainly monkeying around it seams that the intel you collect in game isn't so worthless after all. If you check Masons mail at the terminal the first message from Hudson tells him to change his password to something else (memorable name followed by a memorable date, which is what he uses). So after trying a few things with out any joy I had a look at the intel collected from the mission "S.O.G". In his profile it says something about his adviser being Marshall Bryant and he got an award in 1950. So I went back to the terminal and tried to login in with this info to guess his password. And hey presto it worked.

HydraHam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By HydraHam

I bought it after i heard about zork from a friend. 

Not even lying.

DougWilliams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DougWilliams

So to log in to Hudsons account the user is jhudson and the password is  bryant1950. It seams that there might be a bit more to find from the intel in game.

Hollister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Hollister

Neat!

oneredodd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By oneredodd

When Logged in as vbush (manhattan password) you can read the DLpw.txt this will give you an encoded text to enable you to login to the dreamland server..  
    RLOGIN DREAMLAND 
    user vbush 
    password MAJESTIC1

DougWilliams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DougWilliams
    @oneredodd:   Just logged on to that and checked there mail and the 2nd one had the user roppen stating their password, unfortunately gibberish. But using the decode comand it came back as trinity. So another one worked out
    rlogin: dreamland
    user: roppen 
    password: trinity
    Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Devil240Z

assuming its R1 and L1 on PS3. 

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#24  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@Jeff:  

Thanks a lot! Now I can finally play Zork! 

DougWilliams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DougWilliams

Just a few other oddities. Whilst logged into anyone's account you and get to the directory root via cd .. and another cd .. then you can go into the directory /bin (fairly normal for anyone who uses unix or a mac) and there's the list of the available commands. Besides whats mentioned in the help prompt there's also 'doa' and 'zork' which we already kn ow about but there's also a few others. The wink to the programmer in foobar and hello as well as alicia. Which is apparently a virtual therapist and responds to what you type in.,

oneredodd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By oneredodd

mail in Jhudsons account gets you TBROOKS password (Lauren)  he appears to be having an affair with DR Adrienne Smith..her cat is called Roxy! 

Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Quacktastic

Too soon.

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jeff
    @oneredodd said:
    " When Logged in as vbush (manhattan password) you can read the DLpw.txt this will give you an encoded text to enable you to login to the dreamland server..  RLOGIN DREAMLAND user vbush password MAJESTIC1 "

Cool! That's weird that the encoded text gave you MAJESTIC1. When I was playing the game a couple of weeks ago, the text decoded to MANHATTAN, which obviously didn't work. I wonder if they patched that or something...
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By jeff

Also, if you easily want to get back to the main system once you're in dreamland, that machine name is CIA.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#30  Edited By LordAndrew

I now want to play this game. Thanks, Zork.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By iam3green

cool thanks jeff i will look at this when i get a chance.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32  Edited By Red

That's pretty awesome, may actually give the game a rent over Thanksgiving

teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By teh_destroyer

That really interests me.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#34  Edited By Sooperspy
    @MistaSparkle said:
    " My friend told me if you type in DOA you can play a dual stick shooter, but I'm not sure. "
    IGN tells me so, so I guess it is true.
    WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#35  Edited By WickedCobra03

Very cool.  I didn't even know that you could do that from the main screen.  I will check that out next time I end up playing it.  I was going to just go ahead and beat it tonight, but that is not the way I usually roll with games.  I beat the 4th mission and I was like, meh, I am good.  I will hopefully end up finishing this game up by around Thanksgiving day.  Kind of like the slow burn.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By tourgen

oh wow this is genuinely cool and intriguing.  I want to at least rent this thing now.

tracerace11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#37  Edited By tracerace11

dang it... I wasn't going to buy this game because of the gameplay being the same as every other cod..... but this menu stuff seems freaking sweet, and I didn't want this game. looks like my wallet shall be getting lighter

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Odd, I can't get out of the chair...  I'm pressing the L trigger and then the R trigger and repeating it several times, but it doesn't do anything except for move the corresponding arms.

ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#39  Edited By ManMadeGod
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " Odd, I can't get out of the chair...  I'm pressing the L trigger and then the R trigger and repeating it several times, but it doesn't do anything except for move the corresponding arms. "
    Just press them as fast as you can back and forth.
    cheweqfp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#40  Edited By cheweqfp

suspension of disblief needed. Was JFK making punch cards? or using binary?

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By MrKlorox

ZOMBIES!...

uberexplodey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#42  Edited By uberexplodey

this is fucking awesome!1

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Mmmslash

If you type in '3arc Unlock', you'll unlock Dead Ops, Zork, AND the Zombie level you actually want to play, without having to beat the campaign.

FuzzYLemoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By FuzzYLemoN

I wonder how you're supposed to stand up in the PC version, since left click will trigger the current menu selection. >_>

Nomin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 9

#45  Edited By Nomin

l: sharper 
    p: timhortons

Asuah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Asuah

Been messing with this for the past few hours and figured out a few things. 

The dreamland server has three logins, two of which I figured out the passwords for: 
    vbush majestic1 
    roppen trinity 
    twalker ??? 

Also after reading some of the texts I experimented a bit, and there appears to be a third server 'derriese'. Unfortunately I couldn't figure out a login/password combination that worked for this.

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By mrfizzy

this is all really interesting and annoying coz iv never had to deal with console commands before (well not really) so im more or less rellying on forums such as this to get me to all the emails. haha. also, anyone else disappointed with JFKs emails? not one mention of an affair with Monroe, not one!!! 

wiredrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By wiredrat
    @Asuah: 'derriese' ? It is the name of a Zombie Map in CoD: WaW, isn't it?  
    Freaking awesome this feature :) I think i will love this hacking game more than multiplayer :D
    thereaper2950

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49  Edited By thereaper2950

The command for the mini game is this if you guys don't know 

CD 

then 

DOA 

Avatar image for rinsewashrepeat
    RinseWashRepeat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By RinseWashRepeat

Yes! Next gen Zork!

Neat idea for a main menu though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.