Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Black Ops

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 09, 2010

The seventh installment of the long-running action franchise, Call of Duty: Black Ops puts players into the early era of the Cold War (including the Vietnam War) as a member of the United States black operations unit known as the SOG.

Say goodbye to quickscoping in Black Ops

• 93 results
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By JoelTGM
    @Pathos said:
    " I'm not for quick-scoping (it's annoying) but seriously, in a game with regenerating health and RC car explosives, they're going on about realism? :P "
    no it's about weapon balance.  you shouldn't be able to get quick one shot kills with your sniper aiming it as if it was a pistol.
    Cegoraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Cegoraph

Call of Duty: Black Op's sounds and looks to shaping up to what Modern Warfare 2 should have been. Treyarch has become a much better developer studio when they emerged with Grey Matter. I highly anticipate Black Ops, as it's shaping up to return the series to it's former glory. Despite what Infinity Wards fanboys say, I thought World at Wars was terrific. 

World at War > Modern Warfare 

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#53  Edited By Alexander
    @Jeffsekai said:
    " @Alexander said:
    " @Jeffsekai said:
    " @Alexander said:
    I've put in a good many hours, do pretty well and don't know how to quickscope. It takes practice and a degree of skill to be good at it, as is the case with quickscoping in Counter-Strike, only no one is silly enough to call it a bug in that instance (granted it's harder to do, all the same the poor players are the ones complaining in servers). People moan about this and dual shotguns, when really for the most part it's just the players that aren't so good looking for somewhere to place blame for their dismal play, and lack skill. The fact is that the people who consistently come out on top are the ones who are more skilful at the game. As with most games, including Uno. "
    No, its literally a bug. "
    Link. "
    What do you mean Link? Do you even know how quick scoping works? Its a bug you dont need a website to tell you that.   It's common knowledge  "
    Be unhappy with a game mechanic, whinge at "cheap" play, bemoan a balancing issue but I think you're confused as to what a bug is. The Care Package glitch is an example of a bug, as was being able to hide in rocks. I hear it's common knowledge so I must be right.
    Gilsham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#54  Edited By Gilsham

@RsistncE they do stack as in you can have more than one up, what they changed is that kill from a kill streak don't count to your next one like how the kill streaks you get from the drop creates in MW2 don't 

tapsoda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By tapsoda

this is good news indeed. 

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#56  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
    @RsistncE said:

and I BELIEVE (don't quote me) that noob tubes as attachments have been completely removed and instead the only grenade launches are secondary weapons a la the thumper from MW2.

I know you said don't quote you, but I did it anyway. :P  

Seriously, I just wanted to set the record straight.  There is still a grenade launcher attachment, but it's the most expensive attachment, scavenger no longer refills your grenade launcher, there's no such perk as danger close anymore, and grenade launchers won't be useable until a minute or so into each match.  That part was done so you don't get people who learn fire on an objective, from the other side of the map, as soon as the game begins and everyone is gathered around trying to capture the closest objective.  Without removing it entirely, they've pretty much taken every step that they could to make sure it's no longer a giant pain in the ass.

[edit]  Oh yeah, I almost forgot.  There's also a perk that makes you resistant to explosions.  If you run into someone who keeps blasting you with a grenade launcher, you can always change your class to something that will prevent it.
    Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#57  Edited By Skald
    @SpaceInsomniac said:
    " @RsistncE said:
    and I BELIEVE (don't quote me) that noob tubes as attachments have been completely removed and instead the only grenade launches are secondary weapons a la the thumper from MW2.
    I know you said don't quote you, but I did it anyway. :P    Seriously, I just wanted to set the record straight.  There is still a grenade launcher attachment, but it's the most expensive attachment, scavenger no longer refills your grenade launcher, there's no such perk as danger close anymore, and grenade launchers won't be useable until a minute or so into each match.  That part was done so you don't get people who learn fire on an objective, from the other side of the map, as soon as the game begins and everyone is gathered around trying to capture the closest objective.  Without removing it entirely, they've pretty much taken every step that they could to make sure it's no longer a giant pain in the ass. "
    That's kind of cool, I guess.
    PirateNeal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By PirateNeal

What are people talking about, I think quick scoping is way harder to pull off then a normal scope kill. Unless were not talking about the same thing..

MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By MistaSparkle

Incredibly happy!
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By RsistncE
    @gilsham: That's what I mean when I said they don't "stack". I guess "chain" would have been a better word. 

@SpaceInsomniac: Like I said don't quote me XD Either way it seems like they've nerfed the hell out of it...kinda makes me think they should have just went ahead and removed it because it seems quite useless now.
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#62  Edited By Afroman269

Good, still not going to play this but it's to good see that they are trying to make people use actual skill.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
    @RsistncE: 

I think the grenade launcher will still be useful for group kills, taking out people who are camping in small rooms, or if you're in a firefight with someone and they duck behind a dumpster or something and think that they're safe.  Those situations were probably the intended purposes of a grenade launcher.  Not someone who hangs back in a doorway with their teammates and shoots explosives in the general direction of enemy fire, killing many people that they never actually see, and is able to do so repeatedly thanks a perk that allows them to loot the corpses of their dead teammates for more grenades.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By RsistncE
    @SpaceInsomniac: Yeah the only reason I think it might be useless is because of the new explosive damage reduction perk. I'm wondering if it's going to basically shield room campers/snipers from the nades effectively enough to the point where nade launchers won't be of much use against them.
    Potter9156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Potter9156

So, they removed it because it annoys a small segment of people? Presumably people who suck at the game and will only play until the next online FPS releases. I only used quick-scoping a couple times, during that time I died a lot and didn't get many kills. But there are people who can tear shit up with Marathon, Lightweight and a Intervention. Good for them. It's an extremely difficult play style. But it can be very powerful in the right hands. It's a legitimate way to play the game. COD online is all about building your own strategies, removing legit strategies is the antithesis of game design philosophy Infinity Ward and to a certain degree, Treyarch has been following since MW. Fuck the people whining about it; they clearly suck at the game and will bitch and moan about everything.        

@Afroman269
    said:

" Good, still not going to play this but it's to good see that they are trying to make people use actual skill. "

It's always baffling how people can post a dumb comment and then never bother to explain their statement. If you want people to give a crap about your posts, saying "Hurp durpa, *insert dumb comment*" probably isn't the best thing to do. Just saying. 
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Afroman269
    @Potter9156 K. Good thing I didn't say hurp durpa then. Also I could care less if people care or not about my comment. Funny to see you're the only one who cared enough to comment on it :)
    Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Brendan

Is the issue here due to the aim assist making quick scoping easier?  Because I've seen people who get alot of kills with the same style in say, Halo, and they're really good. 
    Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Donos
    @Potter9156 said:

"  So, they removed it because it annoys a small segment of people?

They removed it because it annoys a large segment of people, and is enjoyed by a smaller segment of people. This is exactly what they said. I understand there is a psychological imperative to ignore evidence contrary to your opinion, but it seems awfully desperate of you to interpret the direct opposite of what they said.

@Potter9156 said:

" It's a legitimate way to play the game."

According to who? According to me and apparently a large segment of people including the current developers, it's an exploit.

@Potter9156

said:

" Fuck the people whining about it; they clearly suck at the game and will bitch and moan about everything.

Indeed.
    lavaman77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By lavaman77
    @JJOR64 said:
    " @jayjonesjunior said:
    " good. "
    "

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#70  Edited By 234r2we232

Watching a live stream of two kids playing a copy of the most recent beta (they claim), and according to them the "quick scoping" is still possible, unless you have some perk which disables it. Sigh. Also, Tactical Insertion is still in there, and apparently you can't "drop-shot" anymore? Due to not being able to fire and go prone at the same time. Blah. Kids.

Anyways, that quote sounds like something the community manager for a developer would say on a message board :/

Edit: OH! It was the community manager who said that. Jee whiz.

Druminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Druminator
    @gla55jAw said:
    " Real men No-Scope. "
    Still no bonus for doing this :(
    fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By fjordson

Hope this is true. Would be great.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It's cool, but I never got straight up murdered by quickscopers... only been killed by them every now and then, and when I am in a match with them they're not all that tough to take down.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
    @Potter9156 said:

"It's an extremely difficult play style. But it can be very powerful in the right hands. It's a legitimate way to play the game.

It was a legitimate way to play Modern Warfare 2, as the developers left it in the game.  It won't be a legitimate way to play Black Ops.

SMGs are lethal up close, and less effective at medium to far-range.  Assault rifles are good at any range, but not as powerful as SMGs when close, or sniper rifles when far.  Machine guns are lethal at any range and have huge clips of ammo, but they impair your movement, take a long while to reload, and have poor accuracy if you don't use a grip.  Shotguns are the most powerful close-range weapon in the game, but they're worthless from afar.  Sniper rifles are lethal at far-range, but they're difficult to aim when close to your target, or at least they should be.

When people find an exploit that pretty much removes nearly any downsides to a single game tactic--in this case, quickscoping--that's something that the game developers need to seriously consider.  If the most powerful long-range weapon in your game can skillfully be used just as effectively as a close-range weapon, you have a weapons balance issue.

And yes, unlike many here, I'll admit that quickscoping is a skillful tactic that takes a lot of practice.   For anyone who doesn't think so, you should try an intervention / slight of hand pro / stopping power / steady aim build for a day and see if you can even somewhat rarely pull off anything this impressive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EJf8jB2Ulc

The problem comes in where if you have a highly skilled sniper quickscoping against someone using any other gun, the sniper is going to get the kill nearly every time.  I round a corner, I see a sniper, and I have no chance of winning the fight unless he misses.  As you said, it's an extremely difficult play style, but it can be very powerful in the right hands.  Some players (and obviously the developers) felt it was a little too powerful, and I personally agree with them.
    invadernick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By invadernick

I hope they take out the ninja play style(running around and knifing) it was extremely annoying in MW2. 

XenoNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#76  Edited By XenoNick

Good!

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Jadeskye

Bah, another reason i won't pick up this game. If i can't use my sniper rifle as a shotgun i'm not playing!

Creigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Creigz

They have now lost me on that game. You can't scope in when you're in a pinch now so if someone is just waiting and sitting there with his sights up and you walk around the corner, you have no way to actually aim at him accurately and he wins for camping. If this game goes on for 10 bucks I'll buy it but that's about it. That or if I get it for free, which is likely. Someone always gives me a game for Christmas.

ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By ShaunassNZ

Oh fuck yes! I hate people saying "Y0u'r3 H4rDsc0p1ng!!!! u Fa1L!"  

LOL they call it hardscoping because it's too hard for them.

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By ShockD

I'm wondering when will the too much realism become frustrating. It won't be very far.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
    @Creigz said:

"They have now lost me on that game. You can't scope in when you're in a pinch now so if someone is just waiting and sitting there with his sights up and you walk around the corner, you have no way to actually aim at him accurately and he wins for camping.

You're not supposed to walk around with a sniper rifle and use it as a damn makeshift shotgun.  You're supposed to switch to your machine pistol or revolver and be at a slight disadvantage when it comes to close-range firefights, in exchange for long-range dominance.

@antikorper said:

" I'm wondering when will the too much realism become frustrating. It won't be very far. "

I already wrote a reply to the "too much realism" charge.  It's on the first page of this thread, and here it is again.

"Other than basically saying "you'll have to play like a real sniper," no one said that it was removed because of realism.  We're talking about a game where you can have a gun in each of your hands and still knife someone if they're next to you.  It wasn't removed because it lacked realism, it was removed because the developers didn't want it in their game." 
    citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#82  Edited By citizenkane

Well shit, there goes my way to play.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#83  Edited By mikemcn

They  will still be able to snipe this fast if not faster. I guarantee it.  

Potter9156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Potter9156
    SpaceInsomniac said: 

When people find an exploit that pretty much removes nearly any downsides to a single game tactic--in this case, quickscoping--that's something that the game developers need to seriously consider.  If the most powerful long-range weapon in your game can skillfully be used just as effectively as a close-range weapon, you have a weapons balance issue.

And yes, unlike many here, I'll admit that quickscoping is a skillful tactic that takes a lot of practice.   For anyone who doesn't think so, you should try an intervention / slight of hand pro / stopping power / steady aim build for a day and see if you can even somewhat rarely pull off anything this impressive: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EJf8jB2Ulc  The problem comes in where if you have a highly skilled sniper quickscoping against someone using any other gun, the sniper is going to get the kill nearly every time.  I round a corner, I see a sniper, and I have no chance of winning the fight unless he misses.  As you said, it's an extremely difficult play style, but it can be very powerful in the right hands.  Some players (and obviously the developers) felt it was a little too powerful, and I personally agree with them. "

Quickscoping has been a legitimate strategy since the first MW. As it should be. The inherent skill required to effectively quickscope circumvents the power of it. It is a high level of play the majority of the people playing the game will never attempt to use, or never get good at it. As a result, it is a rarity to see someone quickscoping(well).  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EJf8jB2Ulc  The problem comes in where if you have a highly skilled sniper quickscoping against someone using any other gun, the sniper is going to get the kill nearly every time.  I round a corner, I see a sniper, and I have no chance of winning the fight unless he misses.  As you said, it's an extremely difficult play style, but it can be very powerful in the right hands.  Some players (and obviously the developers) felt it was a little too powerful, and I personally agree with them. 

I could argue that a player skilled enough to quickscope will probably kill you with any other gun easily.  But, eh. 
    H4xlike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By H4xlike
    @Jeffsekai said:
    " Oh, so COD might require a little bit of skill now? neat "
    Removing quick scoping takes out an aspect of skill. 
    sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#86  Edited By sammo21
    @Slax: Those are all pre-final build though. He never said when they decided to take it out.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#87  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @H4xlike said:
    " @Jeffsekai said:
    " Oh, so COD might require a little bit of skill now? neat "
    Removing quick scoping takes out an aspect of skill.  "
    Nope. Do you know how to quick scope?
    meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By meteora

This is good, because quickscoping in MW2 got a hell lot more easier with the lack of scope sway and Sleight of Hand Pro. Quickscopers shouldn't really care anyways, it just makes it more challenging and rewarding to pull it off. 

I personally love quickscope/noscope because its hilariously fun.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I love it.

ohnobruno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#90  Edited By ohnobruno

Glad to see it gone.  I consider it an exploit (Skilled?  Yes.  But still an exploit.) but I know that I will never be able to change the minds of it's adherents.  Chastising them can result in some entertainingly absurd complaints of my own loadout but in the end I just play more hardcore matches, a mode that greatly diminishes the prevalence of everything I find cheap about that game and reminds me of everything I love. 

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#91  Edited By 234r2we232

Whatever, guys. You don't wanna listen, that's your own choice. But don't say I didn't warn you :)

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @SpaceInsomniac said:
    " @Pathos said:

" I'm not for quick-scoping (it's annoying) but seriously, in a game with regenerating health and RC car explosives, they're going on about realism? :P "

Other than basically saying "you'll have to play like a real sniper," no one said that it was removed because of realism.  We're talking about a game where you can have a gun in each of your hands and still knife someone if they're next to you.  It wasn't removed because it lacked realism, it was removed because the developers didn't want it in their game.

Anyhow, if anyone cares to read the complete twitter post series where this was first revealed, here's the link: 
    http://forums.digitalwarfare247.com/index.php?/topic/32870-askjd-session-2-recap/ "
    And soon we will have the boycots and of course those people will be playing it day one 
    DoomHK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By DoomHK

Great news. Black Ops is shaping up to be a superb game. 
    It may redeem Modern Warfare 2 and it's many failings.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By TwoOneFive
    @Mikemcn said:

" They  will still be able to snipe this fast if not faster. I guarantee it.  

"
    thats not a problem at all. i did that all the time.... i miss COD4!!!! i loved that that rifle, with the acog its was unstoppable 

edit, okay that was a bit too crazy with shooting through a wall and shit. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.