Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Black Ops

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 09, 2010

The seventh installment of the long-running action franchise, Call of Duty: Black Ops puts players into the early era of the Cold War (including the Vietnam War) as a member of the United States black operations unit known as the SOG.

What is Prestige Mode and does it do?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

Just hit Rank 50...

...and I'm wondering what Prestige Mode does? Does it take away all weapons and gadgets and perks? Do I keep something?

On a sidenote... if that's so, why would I ever do that? Or even do so repeatedly? I'm far from having unlocked all guns. I'd like to play with them some more too. I'd rather shot myself in my own foot.

In a way, I'm glad. I'm getting Need for Speed Hot Pursuit tomorrow and I'd hate to feel like I'm missing out. Missing out on piling on some more tedium, as fun as the carrot on the stick was the first time around, I can live with.
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By ajamafalous

I feel like you've been in a coma for the last four years.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    Cowmeat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Cowmeat
    @ajamafalous:  hahaha
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#5  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Wha. How?

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Vinny_Says

you get a purty symbol and get to restart the levelling process all over again. Basically you get more custom class slots and new customization options.

Bass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Bass

You prestige for, well, what the title sort of entails. You earn "prestige," that is, you show your dedication to the game (and borderline sad addiction) by starting over and doing it all over again. You have a better looking emblem, which makes people notice you. 

Additionally, some people don't like playing call of duty unless they are working towards unlocking something, which stops happening if you don't prestige.

mason_pat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By mason_pat

You lose almost everything, including CoD points. Things like weapons, attachments, camouflage, pretty reticles, lethal, tactical and equipment items, facepaints, killstreaks, all perks, all pro versions of perks, challenges (not lifetime challenges), kill streaks all disappear

You retain:  
    Playercard pictures/layers/backgrounds.  
    Your emblem (the one that goes on your playercard) 
    Clan Tag 
    Lifetime challenges 
    Lifetime stats

So, spend your money on buying layers, or playercard related things before you prestige.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Grissefar

Who the heck cares about the icon. The reason you go prestige is to get that carrot back. You won't play a lot at 50 without a carrot.

CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By CptChiken

You get these SWEET icons: 

I saw a level 5 prestige last night, some people are insane.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By mikemcn
    @Grissefar said:
    " Who the heck cares about the icon. The reason you go prestige is to get that carrot back. You won't play a lot at 50 without a carrot. "
    yea, its really a motivational tool more than anything.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Seppli

Thanks everybody for your answers. Now I know what I definitely won't do. Prestige.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Seppli
    @ajamafalous said:

" I feel like you've been in a coma for the last four years. "

Dude, I know who I am and what I like. I knew I wouldn't like Call of Duty Modern Warfare more than Crysis (which came out around the same time), so that's what I got. I knew I wouldn't like any CoD game or CoD-like game more than Battlefield games, so I never got one.

Well, after many years of hearing about Call of Duty, my curiosity finally got the better of me. Okay?

The lesson I learned is... Crack sells better than other goods and Crack ain't all that after all. I knew I was better off not playing this stuff! Activision certainly peddles the best crack of the industry - between World of Warcraft and Call of Duty they've got the 'Addiction Market' cornered.

So - I'm off fending off some Elementals in Orgrimmar now!
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Oh shit, you lose all of your CoD points?  Ah, well that makes sense, but it still sucks.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By ajamafalous
    @Seppli said:
    " @ajamafalous said:

" I feel like you've been in a coma for the last four years. "

Dude, I know who I am and what I like. I knew I wouldn't like Call of Duty Modern Warfare more than Crysis (which came out around the same time), so that's what I got. I knew I wouldn't like any CoD game or CoD-like game more than Battlefield games, so I never got one.  Well, after many years of hearing about Call of Duty, my curiosity finally got the better of me. Okay?  The lesson I learned is... Crack sells better than other goods and Crack ain't all that after all. I knew I was better off not playing this stuff! Activision certainly peddles the best crack of the industry - between World of Warcraft and Call of Duty they've got the 'Addiction Market' cornered. "
    I'd never played a Call of Duty game past the first before this year. I played a bit of CoD4 with a friend of mine. I played a few MW2 Spec Ops missions with another friend. That's all I've played, yet I still know what 'prestiging' is.

Comment wasn't inflammatory, sorry if you took it that way.
    Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Gargantuan

It's the size of your e-peen.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @Gargantuan said:
    " It's the size of your e-peen. "
    Which is not related to your actual penis size however.

I just felt that needed clarification. >.>
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By natetodamax

I prestiged last night, mainly to keep that "carrot" in front of me, as some might say. Didn't take very long to hit level 50 at all; just complete a bunch of challenges. Real simple.

Verit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By Verit

Also what everyone seems to have left out is that if you reach prestige #14 you can use golden camouflages on your guns. Supposedly this time around it is available for every single weapon, including grenades, crossbow, and tomahawk.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
    There's also a prestige only playlist for MP. I would imagine everyone playing there now is completely insane though.
    Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Franstone

It's called carrot-stick gaming... 
    It rewards you with basically nothing and keeps you playing their game until the next one comes out. 
    Hah!
    Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Mmmslash
    @Verit said:
    " Also what everyone seems to have left out is that if you reach prestige #14 you can use golden camouflages on your guns. Supposedly this time around it is available for every single weapon, including grenades, crossbow, and tomahawk. "
    It's only available for weapons you can put camouflage on already, I.E. primary weapons.
    Verit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Verit
    @Mmmslash said:
    " @Verit said:
    " Also what everyone seems to have left out is that if you reach prestige #14 you can use golden camouflages on your guns. Supposedly this time around it is available for every single weapon, including grenades, crossbow, and tomahawk. "
    It's only available for weapons you can put camouflage on already, I.E. primary weapons. "
    Yes, that was how it worked in CoD4, I simply read CoDwiki and it was mentioned there. I presume they could introduce a similar method with the Golden Desert Eagle when you reached lvl 55 in CoD4. No one's prestige 14 yet so we don't really know much. :\
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By keyhunter

Generally people with prestige get to hear me say "Those sure are some fancy medals down there. Wow where'd you get those fancy medals down there?" Like over and over again until the game starts.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By iam3green

it makes you have to relevel up again and unlock stuff. people do it to unlock new things like custom slot. 

just have to say don't smack talk people about prestiging. kind of funny and stupid somebody did that to my friend who just prestiged. they were level 50 (max level) saying how he has no life. who knows how long they are, were level 50 also. just saying that it was stupid for them to say that.

Jerome85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jerome85

Nice trolling Seppli.  the entire thread fell for it

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By OmegaPirate

Hooded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Hooded
    @mason_pat said:
    " You lose almost everything, including CoD points. "
    WOAH? I would of thought you kept them, I guess I wont bother prestiging at all then. I don't have the time to do it, would rather keep the level i'm at and just hop in and out every now and then.
    FighterOfFoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By FighterOfFoo

I don't really like what they've done to levelling up. It's easier, now. It has more (or maybe the same amount) of challenges as MW2 and you're getting them all the time for doing anything, which is cool, but MW2 had 70 levels, and the last 20 or so were quite a grind. Something I really liked about MW2 was that to level up quickly, you sort of had to check your challenges to see what you should use to get a nice fat, round 10,000 points for a challenge. Say, for instance, I needed to get 50 kills with a SPAS-12 to max out its challenge and get 10,000 XP, I'd use that gun until I got the challenge. It'd make me actively use other guns.

When I entered prestige on MW2, I nearly always had most of the pro perks and would have had to use a lot of different weaponry to get to that point, but on BLOPS, by the time I entered first prestige, I barely had anything. I'd only unlocked 2 pro perks and barely used any of the guns. That's not to say I don't like how to unlock the pro perks, I think it's a much better way and makes you use the perks for how they were intended (except for Steady Aim; a pro perk challenge on that has you melee two enemies in quick succession - what the frak has that got to do with Steady Aim?), it's just that by the time I'd settled into where I was with my classes and was actively seeking to upgrade, I'd already nearly entered prestige mode.

With all that said, getting to first prestige might be the easiest and the subsequent prestiges get tougher, but I've not really seen evidence of that so far. To be honest, I'm not really that bothered by it; after all, prestige mode is totally optional. It might now be nothing more than a gay little icon next to your name, but to me, it was never really about the 'prestige', it was just about having fun.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.