Anyone else buying this on PC?

#1 Posted by shivermetimbers (793 posts) -

People may be turned off by this on PC due to the system requirements and hard drive space required (66 GB in total if Steam is to be believed), but I bit the bullet. Despite the hard drive space, the download is actually separated between multiplayer and single player/co-op, so you can choose to download one or the other first depending on your preference. What's kinda cool is that PC players get the next gen version first, which was kinda the big draw for me. It also gives me an opportunity to test my shiny new gaming PC that I built.

I know Call of Duty multiplayer isn't the most balanced, and it is a console game at heart, but at least the co-op looks cool, even if it is unoriginal.

#2 Posted by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

I just picked up Black Ops II on PC this weekend (since I left my Xbox at home). I have to say it's much easier to aim and play with a 360 controller. I guess you can play on the PC with a controller, but I think I'll end up getting it on either 360 or PS3.

#3 Posted by RadixNegative2 (526 posts) -

I'm really thinking about it. Right now I'm trying to decide between Ghosts and Battlefield 4.

It looks like the single-player is better in Ghosts, which I'm more interested in. Then again Battlefield 4 looks so good!

Do you know how large the single-player portion of the download is for Ghosts?

#4 Edited by Voxus (349 posts) -
#5 Edited by shivermetimbers (793 posts) -

@radixnegative2 said:

I'm really thinking about it. Right now I'm trying to decide between Ghosts and Battlefield 4.

It looks like the single-player is better in Ghosts, which I'm more interested in. Then again Battlefield 4 looks so good!

Do you know how large the single-player portion of the download is for Ghosts?

I would go for Ghosts if you're not a multiplayer person. Speaking of which, Giant Bomb shouldn't have the word 'multiplayer' come up as misspelled. It's a video game website! Anyway, to answer your question the single player aspect of Ghosts takes up more HDD space. I can tell just by how fast the multiplayer portion is downloading (pretty fast actually).

EDIT: Guess I was wrong.

#6 Edited by Colourful_Hippie (4495 posts) -

I could run the game just fine but CoD hasn't grabbed my attention since MW2 so I'm not getting because I don't want to play it.

#7 Edited by acerek (10 posts) -

Not sure how I feel about it. After playing for about 45 minutes, I had to stop because it just looks bad to me. Everything looks fuzzy; in the last games, if this was an issue you could turn texture detail to native to fix it, but I don't see the option in this game.

Plus I'm having an issue where the textures are constantly popping in and out of existence for attachments and props on the map.

I hope I find a way to fix these issues soon.

Edit: Fixed the blurriness by changing AA to MSAA x4, but the texture flashing is still ongoing.

#8 Posted by impartialgecko (1688 posts) -

Nope. I'm barely interested in Battlefield 4 so at this point I'd probably pay money not to see Ghosts ads on Steam rather than pay for the game itself.

#9 Edited by sixnahalf (50 posts) -

Not at all. i more fan of battlefield so i'm buying battlefield 4 than this one. :D

#10 Posted by b4d533d (35 posts) -

nope, i prefer my military shooters being of the ARMA or Battlefield variety. i really liked MW, and that formula was good for 2 games. it's just rote and boring now, and it's pretty clear that making the game better beyond shiny new graphics isn't on IW's list of things to do.

#11 Posted by Korwin (3029 posts) -

Maybe for like... $5

#12 Posted by Humanity (10090 posts) -

I was interested mainly because where I live right now PC games are literally half the price of the same title for console.

#13 Edited by Yabbering_Yeti (16 posts) -

it seems like steam is throwing a massive spaz over the poor quality of the PC port. Even bigger than usual - It even seems as though they may be justified. Maybe stay clear for now.

Also, that 6GB min RAM looks to be some sort of insane marketing scam - there is a crack-fix to drop the requirement and people claim the game never uses more than 1.8GB. MADNESS!

#14 Posted by KillerClaw (70 posts) -

The Multiplayer in BF4 is far superior, its not even fanboyism.
In CoD: FOV is locked and can only be adjusted via a 3rd party executable that might get you banned by VAC, the maps are tiny, and they removed a bunch of fun game types. Graphics are just eh. I've gotten some crashes so far as well, and a sound bug in SP.

Haven't played much of campaign so I can't really comment there.

Extinction is fun, but I'm hesitant to give it a seal of approval because there is only 1 map and I'm afraid they will bundle it in as paid DLC with MP maps.

#15 Edited by NeoTheta (225 posts) -

Green Man Gaming has Ghosts for 47.99 through this Friday. It's really tempting! The main thing I'm concerned about is playing it long-term. I have Black Ops II on PC and on 360 (because I'm dumb) and in August, PC would have like, 6000 people on at one time, max. 360 would always be 50,000 to over 100,000. Insane numbers of people. I don't see any reason why Ghosts won't be the same way after 3 or 4 months.

#16 Posted by Ethan_Raiden (345 posts) -

This game is utter shit on the PC, so many problems. If you want it, get it on a console, if you want a new shooter on the PC battlefield is the only option.

#17 Posted by shivermetimbers (793 posts) -

Yeah, I'm getting erratic framerate dips at times. It will go from 60 to 30 to 20 and then back up to 60. The mouse sensitivity got screwed once too. I made sure my drivers were up to date, and everyone seems to have the same issue. And the game looks ugly both aesthetically and technically. It looks like one of those crappy HD remakes of a PS2 game and performs like one too. I assume because it's just a console port with some gloss over it.

Anyway, give it a pass on PC.

#18 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

@neotheta said:

Green Man Gaming has Ghosts for 47.99 through this Friday. It's really tempting! The main thing I'm concerned about is playing it long-term. I have Black Ops II on PC and on 360 (because I'm dumb) and in August, PC would have like, 6000 people on at one time, max. 360 would always be 50,000 to over 100,000. Insane numbers of people. I don't see any reason why Ghosts won't be the same way after 3 or 4 months.

Thing is, I always found games INSTANTLY on the PC with Blops2 all over last year. A lot of people still play MW2/Blops1/MW3/Blops2 even if ghost is out. Had 10,000 players on each last night. More than enough. You don't need 100,000 players to have an active MP. A thousand is well enough.

#19 Edited by Krullban (1062 posts) -

it seems like steam is throwing a massive spaz over the poor quality of the PC port. Even bigger than usual - It even seems as though they may be justified. Maybe stay clear for now.

Also, that 6GB min RAM looks to be some sort of insane marketing scam - there is a crack-fix to drop the requirement and people claim the game never uses more than 1.8GB. MADNESS!

Yeah, the 6 GB ram thing is a straight up lie.

#20 Posted by thatdudeguy (125 posts) -

I ran the PC singleplayer campaign without many issues. I saw the same stuttering cutscenes and borked auto-config settings as everyone else, but still had fun.

On the other hand, I haven't been able to connect to the multiplayer service at all (despite there being no problems on their service status page and all of my other online games working fine.) Kind of a bummer :(

#21 Posted by DonPixel (2627 posts) -

nooope

#22 Posted by Skyfire543 (764 posts) -

I got it on PC as I'm still interested in these games for some reason and I'm not getting a next gen console.
Add me up on Steam if you want to play. http://steamcommunity.com/id/Skyfire543

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.