Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Ghosts

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Nov 15, 2013

The tenth installment of the long-running shooter franchise introduces a brand new storyline, where the United States is under threat from a coalition of South American nations, and must employ a special group of operatives known as "Ghosts" to survive.

Guys feels uncomfortable with killing female soldiers.

• 130 results
    flindip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@hunter5024: ? Putting women in an unrealistic military shooter doesn't change sexual dimorphism in people. Its just adding a paint job for player representation. Its not making a statement on the rumination of violence. You shoot someone, they fall down.

This isn't exactly Peckinpah's "Wild Bunch" where the main character is mowing down defenseless women with a gattling gun for shock value during the climax.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

Right, because the average Call of Duty player is so concerned with this issue.

flindip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By flindip
    Pudge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#54  Edited By Pudge

The dude on the far left of this video reminds me of that Chris dude from Gamespot who sat there quietly while Jeff and John Vignocchi did that Disney Infinity Quick Look. The other three dudes in the video look like what I imagined everyone working at IGN would be like. This is an awful video.

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#55  Edited By NMC2008

I think gaming needs more female cannon fodder, way more. There is something about all the bad people in the world only being men, even if they're aliens invading earth they are male, it's crazy.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is sexism. All genders should be pursued with equal murderous intent.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I remember thinking how it was pretty uncommon shooting women in FPS games, and how Bioshock Infinite was one of the most recent games to do it.

I actually thought it was really strange for female soldiers to appear in the Founders guard. I would buy it for the revolutionaries, but how does an incredibly patriarchal culture that preaches about how women need to be protected allow them to get armed and put themselves in danger's way? Everything about Columbia is conservative and traditional, but then here's numerous female soldiers, something that our far more liberal modern cultures don't have.

@hunter5024: The main reason why 'protect the women' has been such an ingrained thing to extant cultures is because failure to protect the women always coincides with the end of a culture. There's a reason why the safety of women has been paramount to 99% of cultural groups that survived to the day; women are a million times more important than men when it comes to reproduction. A village that just had a serious war with one surviving man and 100 women who avoided war, they can rebuild in a generation. A village with one surviving woman and 100 men who avoided war is fucked. I begin to wonder if it's not merely a social value instilled in male children, but something evolutionary.

flindip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brodehouse: I thought they were in the guard out of basic necessity. Its internal recruitment I think. If your trying to keep up with the police force, you got to start pooling from all of your own people. Columbia probably isn't recruiting very much from the outside. Its probably something that should have been addressed but it wasn't.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#59  Edited By McGhee

I don't really care about it in games because I just don't have a connection that it is real. It's just a game to me. But I can't stand watching real women get beat up like female UFC fighters. I just don't like seeing it.

expensiveham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This is retarded. We had this discussion before when female soldiers were rumored to be in BF4. There is nothing that makes killing female soldiers worse then killing male soldiers. If you believe killing females in vidya is wrong you are a sexist white knight idiot.

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By NMC2008

Sometimes I wonder how women feel when society tries to safe guard the world for them to play in, I wonder if they feel like children at this point. Anyway, this is stupid, this IGN video I mean.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

IGN brought out the good bait this time! Looks like they hooked in a lot of people!

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IGN brought out the good bait this time! Looks like they hooked in a lot of people!

LOL! This made me laugh. Thanks.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flindip: I'm not claiming that they're trying to evoke such feelings or anything, I'm sure they probably haven't thought about it to that extent. I'm just saying that personally it makes me a little uncomfortable when the virtual people I shoot are women.

@brodehouse: Yes I think that might play a role in why I think this way. Mostly though, it just makes me a little sick when I think of the strong hurting the weak, and physically speaking, women are normally weaker than men. Which is why I worry that what I'm saying is coming across a little sexist.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

They're all anthropomorphised clusters of triangles to me.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#67  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Killing women is wrong, killing men is wrong, killing dogs is wrong. But video games.

This video is really pretty fucking unnecessarily dumb.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Capum15

I shoot dudes, ladies, walking cats and lizards in the face with arrows all the time in Skyrim. I'm an equal opportunity murderer.

winsord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#69  Edited By winsord

@hunter5024 said:

@brodehouse: Yes I think that might play a role in why I think this way. Mostly though, it just makes me a little sick when I think of the strong hurting the weak, and physically speaking, women are normally weaker than men. Which is why I worry that what I'm saying is coming across a little sexist.

It's not "coming across a little sexist", it just flat-out is. You can try to justify it to yourself however you want, but the end result is the same. Just to be clear, I don't mean to imply you're 'the worst person ever' for feeling that way, and you at least recognize your way of thinking is sexist, but I don't think you should try to justify it and make it seem any less wrong. And, come on, there's not really any inherent physical advantages/disadvantages when it comes to being shot.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hunter5024: I mostly agree with you. Speaking very generally, men are designed to defend and women are designed to nurture. These have been our basic roles for millennia. Now, to be sure, there are plenty of people whose impulses contradict these roles and that's perfectly fine. There are a lot of women inclined toward familial, civic, and national defense with the violence that usually entails, and there are just as many men drawn toward raising children and caring for the ill.

I've killed plenty of female raiders in Fallout 3 with no more guilt than when I killed their male compatriots. But it would make me a touch (only a touch, mind you) uncomfortable to kill women in a military setting. That's probably because of the regimented, "civilized" nature of it. As a male, my instinct is to protect the women and children first as they are the important segment of society, biologically speaking.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

Whenever I hear an argument like this, I think about what my parents taught me; My father sat me down and told me that never, under any circumstances unless my life was in danger, should I hit a woman, that it was wrong and disgraceful and you weren't a man if you did such a thing.

My mother sat me down and told me that if a girl ever tried to hit me, or wanted to fight, I should beat her ass. Personally, I agree with my mother.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

"we are gonna need a lot more White horses" - leaked internal memo at IGN

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Darji

Whenever I hear an argument like this, I think about what my parents taught me; My father sat me down and told me that never, under any circumstances unless my life was in danger, should I hit a woman, that it was wrong and disgraceful and you weren't a man if you did such a thing.

My mother sat me down and told me that if a girl ever tried to hit me, or wanted to fight, I should beat her ass. Personally, I agree with my mother.

I agree with NEVER hit anyone^^

Questionable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey, if the other person is trying to kill me he\she is totally fair game to murder by whatever means i deem necessary.

I could somewhat see a argument being made if this was a conversation about civilian's but this is talking about killing soldiers so fuck ign for attention whoring and creating a non-argument simply to grab a few extra page views.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hunter5024: Here is a way for you to say you don't want to hurt women without sounding sexist. Are you ready? Ok:

"I don't want to hurt people"

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I've killed plenty of ladies in video games. Not seeing the big deal, a person's a person. If it's going to mess with you it should be because of that not because of gender.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Hunter5024

@winsord said:

@hunter5024 said:

It's not "coming across a little sexist", it just flat-out is. You can try to justify it to yourself however you want, but the end result is the same. Just to be clear, I don't mean to imply you're 'the worst person ever' for feeling that way, and you at least recognize your way of thinking is sexist, but I don't think you should try to justify it and make it seem any less wrong. And, come on, there's not really any inherent physical advantages/disadvantages when it comes to being shot.

You can't really deny that men have a physical advantage over women though, that's just a fact, backed up by loads of biological evidence. Sure women can aim and shoot just as well as men can, but that's not all that's involved in the type of battlefield depicted in Call of Duty. It involves running around, carrying loads of heavy equipment, getting up close and personal with enemy soldiers, attacking and being attacked by people with knives, attack dogs, riot shields, and a ton of other things that I probably don't even know about. To claim that men don't have an advantage at any of those things is a bit delusional.

And I'm not trying to justify my way of thinking, I'm just trying to be honest, and honestly I don't think there's anything wrong with believing that bigger stronger people hurting smaller weaker people is sickening. And this line of thinking doesn't just apply to men and women, it applies to anybody whose using their inherent strength to bully someone whose not as strong as them.

@canteu: Thinking more on it, I think what I'm trying to say is "I don't want to feel like a bully." And guys who hurt girls seem like bullies to me.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hunter5024: But this is not the real world. In the real world no one will surive killing thousands of people as well. WE should not bring reality in such games.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@hunter5024: But this is not the real world. In the real world no one will surive killing thousands of people as well. WE should not bring reality in such games.

No it's not reality, but I think the players ability to get as invested as they do in games is one of the most beautiful things about them.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

People in video games should be represented by grey blobs for neutrality and equal excitement.

winsord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hunter5024: Alright, sorry duder, you proved your point! You really are ignorant and sexist. Apparently I shouldn't have given you the benefit of doubt. I feel the need to redact, "and you at least recognize your way of thinking is sexist".

winsord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By winsord

@hunter5024: Alright, sorry duder, you proved your point! You really are ignorant and sexist. Apparently I shouldn't have given you the benefit of doubt. I feel the need to redact, "and you at least recognize your way of thinking is sexist".

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

No Caption Provided

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Hunter5024

@winsord: Do you care to elaborate? What am I saying that's ignorant? Men being more physically capable (in certain areas, not all) is just a fact, it's not even up for debate (I'm speaking on average of course, there are always exceptions, and I'm certain there are thousands of women on the planet who could beat the hell out of me without any trouble). We separate men and women in sports for a reason, we have biological differences, and it's not a fair competition.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

This has been an argument against having women in the military for a very, very long time - there's nothing new or videogamey about this line of thought. Since as long as men have been murdering other men, they have made up rules about murdering women (hint: it's worse).

Fact is, many of us are brought up to be extraordinarily defensive of women. Imagine yourself walking down the street and seeing a man punch his girlfriend in the face - would you react the same way to two men punching each other? It's irrelevant what's right or wrong, the point is your are already wired.

As far as games go, I don't usually have a problem with male vs. female violence, but, depending on the game and realization of the violence and the characters, I will, yes, feel worse about killing women. :( guess I'm a horrible person.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since as long as men have been murdering other men, they have made up rules about murdering women (hint: it's worse).

Why?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c26fd6917af0
    deactivated-5c26fd6917af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No more women in games!

Only solution to any of this.

Disaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have no interest in COD, but I am glad that they finally put female soldiers in. I don't see this as an issue at all and I don't think anyone should feel upset about it.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

@alexandersheen: Shit duder, I don't know, ask the dudes that made up those rules, you know, like two thousand years ago or whenever that was.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@geraltitude said:

Since as long as men have been murdering other men, they have made up rules about murdering women (hint: it's worse).

Why?

I would imagine it's the same reason it was considered dishonorable to kill Medics in some wars. You shouldn't kill the people you aren't actively fighting against. It's an odd rule but I can see the honorable reasoning behind it. I'd rather it be "Hey just stop making war happen, please." but I guess we're too stupid to do that.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This has been an argument against having women in the military for a very, very long time - there's nothing new or videogamey about this line of thought. Since as long as men have been murdering other men, they have made up rules about murdering women (hint: it's worse).

Fact is, many of us are brought up to be extraordinarily defensive of women. Imagine yourself walking down the street and seeing a man punch his girlfriend in the face - would you react the same way to two men punching each other? It's irrelevant what's right or wrong, the point is your are already wired.

As far as games go, I don't usually have a problem with male vs. female violence, but, depending on the game and realization of the violence and the characters, I will, yes, feel worse about killing women. :( guess I'm a horrible person.

It is actually quite sad,,,

Loading Video...

myniceicelife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a video game. You're not stabbing a lady, you're stabbing a computer generated character made to look like a lady. It isn't real. There's always been people looking for equality of gender in video games so now both men and women can get stabbed in the face in CoD, not just men.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a video game. You're not stabbing a lady, you're stabbing a computer generated character made to look like a lady. It isn't real. There's always been people looking for equality of gender in video games so now both men and women can get stabbed in the face in CoD, not just men.

This sums up my thoughts quite nicely. If someone is tryna fill me full o' holes, best believe I'll come right back at them twice as hard.

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#94  Edited By Fearbeard

I don't give a shit who or what I'm killing. It's just a game and if I don't kill them then they'll kill me. It would be different if I was supposed to kill some unarmed civilian, but no, I'm killing an enemy combatant.

Saying, "Oh, I don't feel right about killing women enemy soldiers" is essentially saying women shouldn't be soldiers and that's what is sexist.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#96  Edited By myke_tuna

Women can get stabbed, too, goddamn it!

You know, if that's what they want. Not just out of the blue. Whatever, you get what I meant.

Elwoodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Honestly I think its only because the COD developers decided to point it out.

Lest we forget, as a recent example, (and there are many, many older examples) there are female enemies in Bioshock: Infinite, and, not only did you shoot them, but you used all manner of nasty powers on them before you did it. If Ken Levine had come out with a special video/release about female soldiers in Bioshock someone would have made it into news, but they just existed and no one cared (at least, I didn't see any major articles on the subject).

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dislike this alot.

No Caption Provided

Aww man, what did the poor Alot ever do to you?

Also I'm an equal opportunity simulated murderer. Gotta rack up them Killz (can't be the only one to have noticed they spell Kills with a Z now).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.