How does the dog die?

  • 105 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
Edited 1 year, 6 months ago

Poll: How does the dog die? (365 votes)

Saving your life 43%
you have to kill the dog 20%
The badguy kills the dog while you are forced to watch 38%

Since EA is CLEARLY going to kill the dog in COD: Ghosts for cheap empathy points, the only question is how are they going to do it?

The dog heroically dies to save your life? Maybe jumping in front of a bullet meant for you?

The badguy kills the dog while you are incapacitated making you hate him even more?

Or they make you pull the trigger ala "No Russians".

#1 Edited by MentalDisruption (1665 posts) -

Bad guy kills the dog either directly or through some kind of trap he lays for you.

#2 Posted by cmblasko (1326 posts) -

Hip dysplasia, sadly.

#3 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

"Edited 2 minutes ago" it says and as of this writing it still says "EA"
I knew everyone was blaming EA for everything for no reason but this is just getting out of hand!

#4 Edited by Barrock (3552 posts) -

They end should be the main character dying in front of the dog. Keep the dog, kill the human. Swerve.

#5 Edited by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -

@zeforgotten said:

"Edited 2 minutes ago" it says and as of this writing it still says "EA"

I knew everyone was blaming EA for everything for no reason but this is just getting out of hand!

engh, brain fart.

Edit: They won't let me edit it.

#6 Edited by Animasta (14718 posts) -

the way you phrase it it sounds like EA is going to maliciously sneak into infinity ward and insert code about the dog dying.

#7 Edited by MooseyMcMan (11458 posts) -

EA really has its work cut out for it if it's going to kill a dog in Activision's game.

In all seriousness, I bet the human dies, and you actually play most of the game as the dog. But unlike someone like Hideo Kojima, they don't actually have the guts to fool everyone, so they're going to spoil it at E3.

#8 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

@zeforgotten said:

"Edited 2 minutes ago" it says and as of this writing it still says "EA"

I knew everyone was blaming EA for everything for no reason but this is just getting out of hand!

engh, brain fart.

Suuuure, that's what they all say! People are secretly wishing for EA to actually kill a dog, hell, maybe even kill a dogs puppies first while the dog(mother, of course) watches it happen.
You know, the EA way of doing things, apparantly :P

#9 Edited by PerryVandell (2109 posts) -

Bad guy stabs you with dog. You pull it off and throw dog at bad guy's eye.

#10 Edited by PenguinDust (12605 posts) -

Dog survives the whole game.

Credits roll.

Epilogue.

Dog gets hit by a car.

#11 Edited by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

The dog gets hurt attacking a guy who's about to kill you and you need to put him out of his misery.

#12 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Feline leukemia.

#13 Edited by LackingSaint (1849 posts) -

Dog is with you for the first third of the game, then abruptly vanishes and is not seen for the rest of the game until it saves you from a scripted scene in which you fall over and are about to be shot. Your friend then walks in while the dog is savaging the guy who was going to kill you, holds out his hand and says "Come on, let's end this." You then hit a button prompt to pull yourself up and you, your buddy and the dog go to fight the villain and save the day.

#14 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

However it happens, it will probably make me cry. Poor doggies :'(

#15 Posted by mwng (947 posts) -

In a recreation of the Elias death scene from Platoon.

#16 Edited by Dethfish (3693 posts) -

You'll have to kill it. It's more emotional that way.

But in the end you'll feel nothing because it will feel forced and you've seen it coming from a mile away.

#17 Posted by Saethir (353 posts) -

probably exactly the same as fable 2. The dog dies jumping in front of a bullet for you, shot by the main bad guy.

Or, Every time you die and respawn, there is a different dog. After seeing you die, the dog got really sad and laid next to your corpse. The enemy killed it (because they're evil, duh). While the military had developed respawn tech for its soldiers, it doesn't work on dogs, which they find expendable. By the end of the game you are haunted by the tortured souls of your various dog friends and slowly slip into insanity.

Then the latest of title cards:

Call of Duty: Ghosts

Woof Woof Bitches (Get it? They are lady dogs.)

#18 Posted by RenegadeDoppelganger (424 posts) -

You play roughly 3 non-consecutive missions with the dog before they forget about the dog mechanic altogether.Or you play a mission where the perspective jumps between your commando dude and the dog a la MW2's AC-130 mission.

#19 Posted by august (3861 posts) -

Oh man I didn't even think of the "you have to kill the dog" option.

I bet they make you pull the trigger.

#20 Edited by JouselDelka (966 posts) -

Bad guy stabs you with dog. You pull it off and throw dog at bad guy's eye.

I will once again buy a cawadoody game if this happens

#21 Posted by Jimbo (9938 posts) -

It's CoD so it'll probably jump onto a nuclear missile as it's launching, chew through the casing and rip out the targeting computer just as the missile breaks through the atmosphere (this will be a QTE sequence). The dog will last be seen barking The Star-Spangled Banner as it rides the missile out into space (and this). You'll think it's dead, but actually it'll be back in Ghosts 2 because something something America and will become the first dog President of the US.

IRL it'd just go chasing off after a butterfly and get run over by a tank.

#22 Edited by Abendlaender (2867 posts) -

The dog jumps and catches a bullet which would have killed you/your girlfriend/the president/nobody.

They have to kill the dog cause he (or she) will be the only character you will remember or care for.

@august said:

Oh man I didn't even think of the "you have to kill the dog" option.

I bet they make you pull the trigger.

Hmmm...that's possible. I'm just going to wait cause my policy is never to watch a movie or play a game where "the dog" dies. I just can't handle it since me real dog died a few years ago (yeah, it's stupid I know)

#23 Posted by Chibithor (574 posts) -

It saves you by attacking the villain who manages to wound it fatally, forcing you to put it out of it's misery.

#24 Posted by FourWude (2261 posts) -

Dog commits suicide after returning from war and realising his kennel has been foreclosed and his girlfriend leaves him because the relatiinship has become increasingly abusive. Alienation from the society around him turns him into a recluse. Anger and resentment at what he was forced to do eat away at him. Days while away. Even basic rational thought becomes difficult. One night sitting in a blacked out motel room, perpetually imprisoned in his own thoughts, he pulls the trigger. His body is discovered 3 weeks later.

#25 Posted by cmblasko (1326 posts) -

Dog turns out to be a spy working for the enemy. You have to hunt it down in the final mission.

#26 Posted by ArtelinaRose (1859 posts) -

@jimbo said:

It's CoD so it'll probably jump onto a nuclear missile as it's launching, chew through the casing and rip out the targeting computer just as the missile breaks through the atmosphere (this will be a QTE sequence). The dog will last be seen barking The Star-Spangled Banner as it rides the missile out into space (and this). You'll think it's dead, but actually it'll be back in Ghosts 2 because something something America and will become the first dog President of the US.

IRL it'd just go chasing off after a butterfly and get run over by a tank.

@fourwude said:

Dog commits suicide after returning from war and realising his kennel has been foreclosed and his girlfriend leaves him because the relatiinship has become increasingly abusive. Alienation from the society around him turns him into a recluse. Anger and resentment at what he was forced to do eat away at him. Days while away. Even basic rational thought becomes difficult. One night sitting in a blacked out motel room, perpetually imprisoned in his own thoughts, he pulls the trigger. His body is discovered 3 weeks later.

Best answers. I would accept either of these.

#27 Edited by BisonHero (6836 posts) -

The main character will get bitten by a zombie, and in a tragic coming of age moment, the dog will have to take responsibility and kill you before you turn. It's a reverse I Am Legend.

#28 Edited by punkxblaze (2990 posts) -

Nuclear bomb the dog.

#29 Edited by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

What do you think the odds of the dog being the ONLY one to live?

And the last climatic battle is you playing AS the dog, and you have like a minigun on your back that shoots whenever you bark.

Right trigger to bark - shoots machine gun.

Left trigger to wag tail - poops out landmines.

#30 Edited by Make_Me_Mad (3116 posts) -

I'm gonna assume it'll be a combination. The Dog throws itself in harms way to save you, is shot by the villain while you're unable to lend assistance, and then you have to mercy-kill the dog.

#31 Posted by ShaggE (6637 posts) -

The Russians (yes, all of them) put out a hit on the dog, who then goes into hiding. Ten long years later, he emerges, having built himself a super-tank: The Sherman Shepherd. Mowing down filthy, filthy commies by the dozen, he suddenly runs out of fuel in the middle of Moscow. Robo-Gorbachev aims a shotgun at the dog and quips: "Every dog has his day, comrade. You already had yours."

BLAM. Fade to black.

The credits begin to roll.

Suddenly, America happens all over Russia's face in the form of the USMC unloading fully automatic freedom into Robochev's steel casing. After Russia is forced to become America 2: The Squeakquel, the player's character looks at the camera and salutes. As he lowers his hand, you see a message emblazoned on his forehead: "Freedom Isn't Free".

The credits resume.

Afterwards, a shot of the cave in which the dog built his tank comes into view. Puppies begin trotting out. A voice-over: "Call of Duty: Ghosts 2: Bark Ops, 2015".

#32 Posted by Dalai (7058 posts) -

In the ultimate form of irony, the dog is killed by Commander Shepard.

#33 Edited by LTSmash (650 posts) -

The dog is gravely wounded. When the enemy troops gather around to make sure he's finally dead, he rolls over (ha) to reveal a grenade with its pin pulled.

He takes them all to Hell with him.

Credits.

#34 Edited by KatyGaGa (319 posts) -

the dog turns out to be the bad guy

#35 Edited by Darson (451 posts) -

Plot twist: There is no dog.

#36 Posted by Herk (198 posts) -
#37 Edited by KentonClay (257 posts) -

You are forced cover the dog in explosives and send him out onto the middle of a bridge or tunnel to blow it up in order to give your team time to escape.

#38 Edited by ThunderSlash (1911 posts) -

In an escape sequence the dog sacrifices itself by putting itself between you and the hordes of Russians. You never see the dog die, but it is assumed that it did. In the sequel, you will learn that the dog was captured and thrown in a gulag. There will be a mission in which you will have to break it out of the gulag. There will also be a heartfelt bro moment when your main character and the dog see each other for the first time since the first game.

#39 Posted by Andorski (5355 posts) -

Combination of the first and third option. The dog saves your life in a moment where the bad guy is about to kill you. The dog distracts the bad guy in order for you to get to into a safe position, but the bad guy turns towards the dog and kills him.

#40 Posted by DukesT3 (1941 posts) -

He sacrifices himself to save mankind, you see his spirit, you have a deep conversation about the meaning of life and your purpose in the game. He floats away into the stars... with a slight tinkle... credits.

#41 Edited by Hailinel (25203 posts) -

Enemy soldier throws a grenade. Dog thinks "TENNIS BALL!" and fetches it for the bad guy. Dog goes out in blaze of enemy-exploding glory.

#42 Posted by thebunnyhunter (1474 posts) -

After the final firefight protecing a nuke and drill from space nazis on an asteroid collision course with Earth the Dog sacrifices himself by staying behind to activate the nuke, thus saving the entire world from Armageddon.

#43 Posted by RadecAU (92 posts) -

too much chocolate

#44 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Chokes on a mocap golf ball.

#45 Edited by geirr (2681 posts) -

If they kill the dog I am boycotting videogames! D:<

#46 Edited by rebgav (1429 posts) -

It's IW's attempt at adding moral choices to Call of Duty. There are dozens of times that the dog could die and scores of ways in which it could die.

There is a 100G achievement for making sure that the dog dies every time, in every way.

#47 Posted by ArtelinaRose (1859 posts) -

@shagge said:

The Russians (yes, all of them) put out a hit on the dog, who then goes into hiding. Ten long years later, he emerges, having built himself a super-tank: The Sherman Shepherd. Mowing down filthy, filthy commies by the dozen, he suddenly runs out of fuel in the middle of Moscow. Robo-Gorbachev aims a shotgun at the dog and quips: "Every dog has his day, comrade. You already had yours."

BLAM. Fade to black.

The credits begin to roll.

Suddenly, America happens all over Russia's face in the form of the USMC unloading fully automatic freedom into Robochev's steel casing. After Russia is forced to become America 2: The Squeakquel, the player's character looks at the camera and salutes. As he lowers his hand, you see a message emblazoned on his forehead: "Freedom Isn't Free".

The credits resume.

Afterwards, a shot of the cave in which the dog built his tank comes into view. Puppies begin trotting out. A voice-over: "Call of Duty: Ghosts 2: Bark Ops, 2015".

threads over everyone can go home now

#48 Posted by FreakAche (2955 posts) -

You'll play a sequence from the perspective of the dog after a nuke has been dropped on him.

#49 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

The dog goes and disarms the bomb as the chamber fills with radiation.

Or you are shot and the dogs saves you then stays with you till you die and a bomb hits.

#50 Posted by RedCream (706 posts) -

"Edited 2 minutes ago" it says and as of this writing it still says "EA"

I knew everyone was blaming EA for everything for no reason but this is just getting out of hand!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.