Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Ghosts

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Nov 15, 2013

The tenth installment of the long-running shooter franchise introduces a brand new storyline, where the United States is under threat from a coalition of South American nations, and must employ a special group of operatives known as "Ghosts" to survive.

So, is this the tipping point for CoD?

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

With all platforms taken into consideration, did CoD Ghost do better or as well as Black ops 2? After 3 or 4 years of "call of duty is done" is this the tipping point for the franchise?

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Example1013

very opinions such wow

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

very opinions such wow

He asked a sales question and posited exactly zero opinions about the quality of the game, so...

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By EuanDewar

I dunno, Its a total guess but I bet 2014's CoD will be as similarly stop-gappy as Ghosts was and probably be round about the same in terms of sales. I think 2015's instalment will be where the rubber really hits the road big time for the franchise. It'll be their third one on the new systems, Titanfall, Destiny and probably some as yet unannounced new franchises will be out and in full swing by then and if they don't do something crazy like CoD4 (their third game on the 360/PS3 generation) it'll most likely float into Tony Hawk/Guitar Hero territory and Activision will have to find their new big thing.

Whether or not they can pull something mental out again like that well that's up for you to decide.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

As long as it keeps making countless dollars, then Activision will continue to make it. Actually, they'll probably make it until two or three entries don't make any profit, so expect to keep seeing CoD games for the next few years.

I dunno, Its a total guess but I bet 2014's COD will be as similarly stop-gappy as Ghosts was and probably be round about the same in terms of sales. I think 2015's instalment will be where the rubber really hits the road big time for the franchise. It'll be their third one on the new systems and if they don't do something crazy like COD4 (their third game on the 360/PS3 generation) it'll most likely float into Tony Hawk/Guitar Hero territory and Activision will have to find their new big thing.

Whether or not they can pull something mental out again like that well that's up for you to decide.

Well, they did this with Tony Hawk, and then they did it with Guitar Hero, and they did it with CoD, so I'd be willing to bet that they'll keep an eye out for something else that will do it. I think they want Destiny to be it, but I can't imagine Bungie pumping out a new Destiny game every year.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

I think Ghosts performed noticeably worse than Black Ops 2 in sales, but still did well compared to most other games. I don't think this is the end, but yeah, I think this just may be the tipping point. Considering the games probably won't use a new engine next year either, unless Black Ops 3 pulls some crazy, mind-blowing, "next-gen" shit in the gameplay department, it's hard for me to imagine a world in which CoD still has even half of it's current fanbase 2-3 years from now.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By EuanDewar

@believer258: When I said "pull something mental out again" I was specifically referring to whether they could reinvent CoD like 4 did but yeah I agree with what you said. Although personally -and this is all forum guesswork so, y'know- I think this franchise is actually a lil bit of a different situation and activision probably have more reason to try and keep CoD relevant rather than killing it off like Guitar Hero or just letting it fall to the side like Tony Hawk.

s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

They have two teams. Maybe the other team will do well.

Brundage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

If it's another modern military fps then yes..

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Example1013

@example1013 said:

very opinions such wow

He asked a sales question and posited exactly zero opinions about the quality of the game, so...

Well a sales question is something that could be answered with a simple 5-second google search so I'd assume he'd only post this if he were looking to start an actual discussion involving, y'know, opinions?

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ajamafalous said:

@example1013 said:

very opinions such wow

Well a sales question is something that could be answered with a simple 5-second google search so I'd assume he'd only post this if he were looking to start an actual discussion involving, y'know, opinions?

Since there is no way to get reliable sales numbers anymore I don't think a quick google search would do the trick.

@believer258: When I said "pull something mental out again" I was specifically referring to whether they could reinvent CoD like 4 did but yeah I agree with what you said. Although personally -and this is all forum guesswork so, y'know- I think this franchise is actually a lil bit of a different situation and activision probably have more reason to try and keep CoD relevant rather than killing it off like Guitar Hero or just letting it fall to the side like Tony Hawk.

If that ''something mental'' turns out to be titanfall (the hype sure makes it seem that way) than that would be quite the ironic twist wouldn't it?

j0lter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like battlefield kind of took the cake this year over ghosts. Black ops 3 will have zombies in it, which has a community of it's own that will produce sales. Ghosts might do better if extinction proves to be of any worth with the dlc. In the end i don't think either cod franchises will be gone any time soon.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Quarters

I think there will be a big change up with the next game. The same thing happened with the last gen. Remember the game before Modern Warfare? Exactly. It was considered vastly inferior to CoD1 and CoD2(even though I enjoyed it). However, CoD4 came out, completely changed the game, and the rest is history. To expect Ghosts to be the one to flip everything on its head is absurd. It's the transitional game, that just serves to keep the series afloat. The next game, regardless if it's Treyarch or Sledgehammer or whatever, I think will be the next big switch up for the series, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if it had an all new engine.

I could be wrong, but who knows. Besides, at least Ghosts wasn't a consistent broken mess like Battlefield 4. Yeesh. At least they're finally starting to get that fixed(sort of).

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

We always pretend the CoD consumer is stupid, that they just buy it without looking or caring. However, the truth is when the game is not so great the sales suffer. By suffer I mean sell about 10 times as much as a a typical triple-a game. If Activision can put out a good game made for XBox One and PS4, as well as make a workable ports for the big install base older system, the sales will bounce back to 15x or 20 times as much as a typical game. CoD is a cockroach...it will out last us all...it will spread...it will breed...it will dance on our graves.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By crithon

isn't there suppose to be a third studio sledgehammer games working on a cod game?

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@crithon said:

isn't there suppose to be a third studio sledgehammer games working on a cod game?

Rumor was one time that they had a Modern Warfare 4 in development very recently. Like, something that doesn't mean Ghosts. So I would think that this next year would be that year. God willin' they have something else that's not Black Ops 3..

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bungie developed cod game plz

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

You know, I kind of actually enjoyed Ghosts. I skipped MW3 and Black Ops 2 campaign but I've truly always had fun with the stories coming out the series. From what I've played of the campaign, it's foolish but enjoyable. Multiplayer is multiplayer but it runs silky smooth so it's nice and easy to jump into.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone who thinks COD is going anywhere is obviously unfamiliar with esports. The game is a pretty much a glorified sport now with seasons and playoffs.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@crithon said:

Rumor was one time that they had a Modern Warfare 4 in development very recently. Like, something that doesn't mean Ghosts. So I would think that this next year would be that year. God willin' they have something else that's not Black Ops 3..

maybe, but everyone is looking at Black Ops 2 fondly after Ghosts. Just checking out Sledgehammer's site they have a CoD icon in there could be anything, level packs or helping out the other teams finish their games.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Hopefully new console technology will bring about some interesting changes in the next Call of Duty games although I wouldn't count on the 2014 release being that much different but rather the 2015 or even 2016 one.

WightnNerdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#22  Edited By WightnNerdy

In terms of quality I bet Treyarch will make a pretty good Call of Duty game next this year. Will it be better than Ghosts? I dunno, I haven't played a Call of Duty game since the original Black Ops, but people seem to like the Treyarch games a lot.

And I don't think it's going to stop selling well. I can see 2014's Call of Duty selling better than Black Ops 2 (especially if it's Black Ops 3).

alanm26v5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By alanm26v5

I thought Black Ops 2 did well or at least it was well received. Okay maybe Jeff liked it and that almost got me to buy it as my first CoD game ever. My exposure to modern military FPS games is limited to the single player campaign of Battlefield 3 so I guess anything's better than that?

LucidDreams117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By LucidDreams117

Yes. My guess is this is the Call of Duty we'll look back on.

It's the perfect mix of things. Ghosts did not break records for sales and among fans, this was not a very good Call of Duty. It's missing a lot. It's not as well made and general fatigue is settling in even with long time fans.

Broken as it is, Battlefield 4 is making a lot of people switch. It feels different enough and fresh in comparison. Call of Duty's problems aren't like Battlefield 4's. They're game play and balance specific.

Titanfall is right around the corner and promises the excitement of Call of Duty 4. My cousin, a long time Call of Duty fan and also Playstation fan knows about Titanfall and is jealous of my Xbox One.

Destiny, maybe not to me, but to many others also has a lot of hype and seems like Bungie's may strike lightning in a bottle again.

The perfect storm is here and Call of Duty needs to step it up.

Now, that being said. Will it happen next year? No. That version is already in development and no other franchise really provides a threat yet. It'll sell but it won't sell as well as Ghosts thus continuing the decline from Ghosts. 2015 seems like the year to watch. That's when either they'll really change shit or we'll see it really fail.

Another point though, lets be honest: Activision is still making money hand over fist and until that goes the opposite way, they won't upset the order of things and change too much.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

After the mess that was Battlefield 4 I'm willing to piss on DICE's grave and move on to Call of Duty.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By joshwent

Anyone who thinks COD is going anywhere is obviously unfamiliar with esports. The game is a pretty much a glorified sport now with seasons and playoffs.

Agree. And I wish there was more journalistic focus put on the MP aspect of the game. I don't think it's surprising that there seems to be a huge overlap between folks who only really play CoD and Madden.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@deranged said:

You know, I kind of actually enjoyed Ghosts. I skipped MW3 and Black Ops 2 campaign but I've truly always had fun with the stories coming out the series. From what I've played of the campaign, it's foolish but enjoyable. Multiplayer is multiplayer but it runs silky smooth so it's nice and easy to jump into.

Black Ops 2 has a pretty great campaign. Way better than MW3, honestly.

triviaman09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I'd wait to see how the Treyarch game turns out. We might look back on Ghosts as the turning point, but it's too early to tell yet.

maverick1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not likely activision is still making money. As others have pointed out cod has a big esports scene. so I imagine cod games will always sell well. I do think it's funny how activision tried to manipulate the sales numbers to say they sold better then gta5.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

Tipping point? Maybe for some. I know for me it was. I found the campaign to be completely boring, outside of one or two moments, and pretty shitty. Hell, I would argue even the story beats and writing are the worst in the series...including Modern Warfare 3...which is a big task to complete. The multiplayer, which is the important part, is also getting progressively worse. I think Battlefield 4 now not only owns the team based modern military deathmatch but the large scale combat as well.

I came into Ghosts optimistic but came out upset. Hell, even the spawning was the worst these series has ever had and they seem to have no interest in fixing it anytime soon. I can only spawn and get immediately shot in the back so many times before I just say "Screw you, Infinity Ward." I will not be buying anymore CODs until I hear there has been significant change but honestly...maybe its just time for the series to die off. Activision won't like that and will fight it but its going to happen at some point.

I've successfully talked about ten friends to not buy the game and just go with Battlefield 4 or wait for Titanfall on PC. So far, none of us have been disappointed.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

@greggd said:

@deranged said:

Black Ops 2 has a pretty great campaign. Way better than MW3, honestly.

That's what I've heard but I just don't have it in me to go back and pick it up. I'm already crammed up with games to catch up on and I've only NOW finished Black Flag :P I always invest at least 60 hours into AC games.

Davvyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 19

I'd wait and see before making any conclusions. The new hardware is a great opportunity to revamp things and possibly turn it around but that all depends on how they handle split gen development.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I skipped Black Ops 2 in the hope a year off would make the experience more exciting, but I found the campaign to be really tiresome and unmemorable outside of a couple of very early encounters. The writing is probably the worst in the series and the storytelling is so jumbled that by the end of it I didn't have a clue what the hell was going on.

It feels like the laziest game since CoD4. I didn't think Infinity Ward would be able to out-mediocre MW3, but somehow they managed. The alien mode is cool, but beyond maybe one or two runs through it you'll probably never touch it again. I think the core shooting is still very good and works perfectly for this big dumb rollercoaster kind of game, but they really, really, really need to go back to the drawing board before they kill it completely. I bet there will be a couple more games like this before there starts to be a massive drop off in sales.

The dog looks cool though.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DonPixel

I enjoyed Blops 2 quite a lot, I have faith on Treyarch they might put out something good next year. COD is one of those things I'm not sure if I want it to change, it is like Chess... a Game, once a game is good there is no need to change it drastically.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Well, it looks like Titanfall did not do high sales out of the gate...yet. The latest estimates from late March for Titanfall are 1.1 million units. So despite a 50% drop in sales for CoD:Ghosts last year, they still kicked stomped on Titanfall's head. When you consider that this was InfinityWard in friendly (or not so friendly) competition with Respawn it is an interesting story in other ways. I think the sales on Xb360 will be softer than expected too. The delays and lack of info will makes sales very soft in my opinion - I'm going out on a limb to say teh sales for XB360 will be in the 1.5 million range. And, I think that is 1/4 of what EA, Respawn, and Microsoft would have expected.

Without a doubt, without a single doubt, Titanfall will have a big bright future in the game space. But for right now the bright future will have to come when it is a multiplatfrom, second edition game on PS4, XbOne, and PC. Microsoft wanted this to be another Halo or Gear of War for them, but you can't make that happen as a platform holder...only gamers can do that.

In fact, I'm a little shocked that Titanfall did not sell better. I would have assumed 70% to 80% of Xbox One owners in North American would have bough that game, but is is more like 50% or less. I hope for Respawn's sake the game is every-green for Xbox One owners; because lets be honest, the delays and lack of information on the XB360 version is going to dampen those sales significantly.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.